These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Team Avatar and the future of our prototype

First post First post First post
Author
Jim Era
#61 - 2012-10-09 15:01:39 UTC
wat

Wat™

Stegas Tyrano
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#62 - 2012-10-09 15:07:38 UTC
THIS IS THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVAAAR!!!!!!!

Herping your derp since 19Potato - [url=https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2403364][Proposal] - Ingame Visual Adverts[/url]

Anslo
Scope Works
#63 - 2012-10-09 15:08:32 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
Kenpachi Viktor wrote:
:18 months:

Twisted

Seriously, this is a nice way to introduce a new :jesus feature:

Please consider scheduling it as the next major feature after the funky POS is done.

there are about 17 things i would consider more important than this

but thanks for the heads up, can't wait to see this in a fixed eve

I was wondering when a nul tard would come in denouncing this awesome addition Roll

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Kenpachi Viktor
Perkone
Caldari State
#64 - 2012-10-09 15:10:12 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
Kenpachi Viktor wrote:
:18 months:

Twisted

Seriously, this is a nice way to introduce a new :jesus feature:

Please consider scheduling it as the next major feature after the funky POS is done.

there are about 17 things i would consider more important than this

but thanks for the heads up, can't wait to see this in a fixed eve

Indeed, there are a large number of things that need attention. But as far as I'm aware, the POS system is the largest in terms of code/art/hours needed, and this is on par with that.

A war that would’ve involved 20,000 players, 75% of nullsec space, and hundreds of supercapitals was halted not by diplomacy, but by a game mechanic so dreadful that those who have experienced it previously have no desire to do so again. - Fix POS & SOV

oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#65 - 2012-10-09 15:35:02 UTC
So its nice to see that Team Avatar still lives and even a reply from From Unifex in it
But again this is nothing new ,we already knew that you guys were prototyping.
What you just said CCP Bayesian the same as a few months back .

If you can show some gameplay at fanfest ,fine with me ,go ahead ,maybe there will be less anti WIS people
but the reason ,not being able to show something to back up your words is beyond me

R.S.I2014

oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#66 - 2012-10-09 15:38:31 UTC
CCP Unifex wrote:
It has been fantastic to see the Avatar team show everyone that there is meaningful gameplay using more than just your ship as your agent in the EVE Universe. The prototyping work they have done in Unity has allowed them to rapidly explore different themes and make a game which is challenging, fun and in the true spirit of EVE.

At CCP we are now making sure that when great gameplay concepts such as these come along, we take time to assess what would be required to take them out of the concept phase, into our engine, through pre-production and into production. We must also consider how it interacts with everything else we are doing both within EVE and CCP as a whole. One of the great achievements of this piece of work is that it has really proved it is possible to rapidly iterate on new experiences without having to make a huge investment up front.

Once this prototype was demoed and I had played it (being beaten by CCP Explorer and team in the process), then came the next part. Working out what would be needed to put this concept into the game for real. The team worked together to put a pre-production and production plan together using what they had learned over the previous months and also the lessons learned from the Incarna efforts from last year.

The result of that planning highlighted that right now, we do not have the time or people to build this without impacting what we can deliver for our players who are flying in space. To create this will mean a considerable investment which will take time to put together and also a new focus for us just at a time when we as a company have another new game coming into the EVE Universe (yes DUST 514, I’m looking at you).

So, all that being said, we have a great concept to expand the EVE Universe but now is not the right time for us to take that step. It’s a step I very much want to take but I want to take it when it won’t mean removing developers and focus from flying in space. So, for the time being, watch this space with regards to exploration gameplay for EVE avatars. The Avatar team will now be turning its attention to features it can put out for EVE in our winter expansion and beyond.

So stop DUST and go on with EvE ?

nah just kidding

Again a lot of words ,but nothing to show for mister Unifex
Show us what you like about that new Avatar gameplay

R.S.I2014

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#67 - 2012-10-09 15:55:35 UTC
CCP Unifex wrote:
good stuff.

you need to post more often on the forums... kinda sad when a NPC forum troll has more likes then you...

you should have atleast 1000 likes... but unfortuantly i can only like your post once :(

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Unforgiven Storm
Eternity INC.
Goonswarm Federation
#68 - 2012-10-09 15:57:22 UTC
CCP Unifex wrote:
(...)

So, all that being said, we have a great concept to expand the EVE Universe but now is not the right time for us to take that step. It’s a step I very much want to take but I want to take it when it won’t mean removing developers and focus from flying in space. So, for the time being, watch this space with regards to exploration gameplay for EVE avatars. The Avatar team will now be turning its attention to features it can put out for EVE in our winter expansion and beyond.

After

• you give us a new login system where I can change chars in the same account without the need to login again
  • you gives a new and improved POS (POS revamp)
  • you fix sov
  • you fix the black ops and electronic attack ships
  • you find a proper role for titans and supers in the battle field
  • you finished the ships tiercide (including caps)
  • you give us all the remaining ships (including caps) with the shader v3 skins
  • you allow us to fly customized painted ships
  • You replace the ugliest ships in this game with new hulls
  • you give us a new overview, local, chats and industry UI, you fix the inventory windows
  • You fix null-sec industry
  • you fix moon mining
  • you improve invention and manufacturing mechanics;
  • you give alliances the proper tools to tax corps, mining and moon mining, get rent money from (blue) POS in their space
  • you give alliances, corps and players tools to make military , trade, ratting, mining, moon mining agreements (a.k.a treaties)
  • you give us more t3 ships
  • you give us more end-of-game contents for vets like achievements, more skills, more caps like carriers T2
  • you fix/improve more and more visual effects
  • you make mining fun (I can dream right?)
  • and you fix the problems that **** of PI dudes now for 2 years and maybe throw them a couple more skills to train

you go right ahead, give us the avatars and station walking, until then, this please ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unforgiven Storm for CSM 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13. (If I don't get in in the next 5 years I will quit trying) :-)

Xenuria
#69 - 2012-10-09 15:59:48 UTC
When do we get hats?
Anslo
Scope Works
#70 - 2012-10-09 16:00:14 UTC
Unforgiven Storm wrote:

SANDBOX IN MY WAY ONLY!!!

People like you are a hindrance to this game becoming the greatest SCI FI SIMULATOR on the planet. Kindly biomass.

PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#71 - 2012-10-09 16:03:00 UTC  |  Edited by: PinkKnife
So WIS is all but dead then, Huzzah Sad

Why not just hire more people <.<

Because getting WIS after all this:

Unforgiven Storm wrote:

• you give us a new login system where I can change chars in the same account without the need to login again
  • you gives a new and improved POS (POS revamp)
  • you fix sov
  • you fix the black ops and electronic attack ships
  • you find a proper role for titans and supers in the battle field
  • you finished the ships tiercide (including caps)
  • you give us all the remaining ships (including caps) with the shader v3 skins
  • you allow us to fly customized painted ships
  • You replace the ugliest ships in this game with new hulls
  • you give us a new overview, local, chats and industry UI, you fix the inventory windows
  • You fix null-sec industry
  • you fix moon mining
  • you improve invention and manufacturing mechanics;
  • you give alliances the proper tools to tax corps, mining and moon mining, get rent money from (blue) POS in their space
  • you give alliances, corps and players tools to make military , trade, ratting, mining, moon mining agreements (a.k.a treaties)
  • you give us more t3 ships
  • you give us more end-of-game contents for vets like achievements, more skills, more caps like carriers T2
  • you fix/improve more and more visual effects
  • you make mining fun (I can dream right?)
  • and you fix the problems that **** of PI dudes now for 2 years and maybe throw them a couple more skills to train

Is going to take 17 ******* years. And lord knows CCP can't tell the FIS people, who've had nothing but every wish granted, to be patient.
oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#72 - 2012-10-09 16:07:24 UTC
Anslo wrote:
Unforgiven Storm wrote:

SANDBOX IN MY WAY ONLY!!!

People like you are a hindrance to this game becoming the greatest SCI FI SIMULATOR on the planet. Kindly biomass.

No ,he does not have to .
A lot of people want WIS ,including me ,but to keep everybody happy, bugchasing EvE and make it look better has to go on.

If that means WIS comes later ok with me

R.S.I2014

Taiwanistan
#73 - 2012-10-09 16:19:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Taiwanistan
" when we have a feature that is its own functional ecosystem of gameplay then hooks into the greater ecosystem of EVE as a whole, and it provides good replayability."

-gameplay
-stand alone ecosystem
-connection with greater EVE ecosystem

A bunch of dudes dressing up and emoting each other is not any of the above. I am glad TA has indicated that they understand this, and are not going to go the quick and dirty route.

TA on wis: "when we have a feature that is its own functional ecosystem of gameplay then hooks into the greater ecosystem of EVE as a whole, and it provides good replayability."

Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#74 - 2012-10-09 16:25:56 UTC
Cant wait for next fanfest. Hopefully you can put skeptics in their place (deep in a station getting radiation poisoning).
oldbutfeelingyoung
Perkone
Caldari State
#75 - 2012-10-09 16:28:47 UTC
Taiwanistan wrote:
" when we have a feature that is its own functional ecosystem of gameplay then hooks into the greater ecosystem of EVE as a whole, and it provides good replayability."

-gameplay
-stand alone ecosystem
-connection with greater EVE ecosystem

A bunch of dudes dressing up and emoting each other is not any of the above. I am glad TA has indicated that they understand this, and are not going to go the quick and dirty route.

That makes a lot more people happy ,believe me ,but we still don,t know what to expect with this so called gameplay

R.S.I2014

Shiroh Yatamii
Alexylva Paradox
#76 - 2012-10-09 16:53:59 UTC
I'm completely down with this! It would be a new area of the game entirely, meaning older players with more assets do not automatically have an advantage over newer players who may in fact be more cunning.

Really, I'm just looking forwad to killing people outside of their pods. I really really am. You'll give us assault rifles, right?
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#77 - 2012-10-09 16:58:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
By assault rifle you mean one of these, right?

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Anslo
Scope Works
#78 - 2012-10-09 16:59:18 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
By assault rifle you mean one of these right?

This is the only acceptable form of weapon for Eve.

Overkill best kill.

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#79 - 2012-10-09 17:00:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Anslo wrote:
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
By assault rifle you mean one of these right?

This is the only acceptable form of weapon for Eve.

Overkill best kill.

I'm Minmatar sir, bringing moar Dakka is compulsory.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Rico Minali
Sons Of 0din
Commonwealth Vanguard
#80 - 2012-10-09 17:08:02 UTC
This is what Avatar based gameplay should be for. Add in the social station stuff too by all means but what any good scifi needs is a tense atmosphere and heavy breathing in EVA suits just waiting for teh next bad thing to happen...

Trust me, I almost know what I'm doing.