These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Team Avatar and the future of our prototype

First post First post First post
Author
Anslo
Scope Works
#21 - 2012-10-09 12:51:30 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Clearly we need total darkness, a suit flashlight that stops working, an infrared camera and rogue drones that don't show up on an infrared camera

and magnetoboots, these are essential

Well it would be kind of disappointing to enter an abandoned radiation filled space station, that is too hazardous for complex electronics to work, only to find out that all the lights and artificial gravity are working without problems.

Anything other than seeing areas like this when walking into a sleeper facility will disappoint me.

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#22 - 2012-10-09 12:56:36 UTC
More than that, I am an immortal capsuleer capable of taking and discarding planets, flesh and souls as a child would toys, and I do not expect having to tolerate wearing boots of the non-magneto variety
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-10-09 12:56:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
First of all I want to say that I love this idea, and if/when it comes out I'll probably play the hell out of it.

BUT, and this is the big but:

How does it fit into EVE as a game?

Without seeing the prototype, judging only by your post, I just can't see any connection between my exploration party derping around a space station looking for artifacts, and the grand political strategy of empires made up of thousands of players fighting each other for space dominance. It could just as well be a whole new game set in the EVE universe, only loosely if at all connected to the EVE game at all (not unlike Dust).

I don't see how the avatar gameplay could bring anything new to the player-player interaction EVE is based upon. In the form you describe it as, I don't expect it to become anything more than PI right now - just a gimmicky minigame to gather X resource. Only without the meta-game of fighting over planets. I don't see why I should prefer EVE-avatar-sim over activating a codebreaker module, and playing a proper full FPS/3PS game afterwards.

And just to show that I'm not simply whining for the sake of keeping the status quo, here is my idea I came up with in about 10 minutes:

Many people want there to be more significant content for smaller groups of people. So allow players to board/infiltrate an enemy Infrastructure hub, and hack the upgrades installed within. Or for larger squads even disable station services. The IHub's owners in the same system will be alerted can also enter and defend it. Otherwise it's defended by automated platforms (possibly allow these to be upgraded as an IHub upgrade too).

If the attacker succeeds, the hacked upgrade(s) will be disabled for a period of time, or until the attackers are driven out by the defenders. The longer the attacker can hold the hack, the longer the upgrades are disabled. This encourages both sides to reinforce the ongoing avatar battle with more spaceships bringing in troops, and to stop the enemy from doing the same. If the respawn mechanic of avatars somehow depends on who is holding the space grid over the IHub, the fight could quickly escalate to a battle both in space and in the corridors.

Once it works out and if people generally like it, it could also be implemented as an alternative way of reinforcing or taking over IHubs - instead of blowing it up and putting up your own, you could simply take it over with ground troops.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#24 - 2012-10-09 12:57:08 UTC
Oh boy i like...

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#25 - 2012-10-09 12:57:37 UTC
Anslo wrote:
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:
Clearly we need total darkness, a suit flashlight that stops working, an infrared camera and rogue drones that don't show up on an infrared camera

and magnetoboots, these are essential

Well it would be kind of disappointing to enter an abandoned radiation filled space station, that is too hazardous for complex electronics to work, only to find out that all the lights and artificial gravity are working without problems.

Anything other than seeing areas like this when walking into a sleeper facility will disappoint me.

I'm just hoping they make the most of the premise they have created. Altering gravity and lighting conditions should be taken in to account and possible allow them to be re-enabled through exploring the site. It would allow for more intense atmosphere, more creative maps and additional gameplay by allowing them to be restored. Such restoration could allow access to previously locked areas within the site or just make it easier notice items of opportunity, that are easy to miss in the darkness.
Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#26 - 2012-10-09 12:58:25 UTC

/me waves hand

Make it so!

Seriously, great exciting treat today from you guys.

Don't hesitate and delay. Also the espionage gameplay sounds great, and I'd like to see it fleshed out as well.

Gratz on finally getting the blog out!

Where I am.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#27 - 2012-10-09 12:58:51 UTC
CCP Unifex wrote:

So, all that being said, we have a great concept to expand the EVE Universe but now is not the right time for us to take that step. It’s a step I very much want to take but I want to take it when it won’t mean removing developers and focus from flying in space. So, for the time being, watch this space with regards to exploration gameplay for EVE avatars. The Avatar team will now be turning its attention to features it can put out for EVE in our winter expansion and beyond.

Thanks for both the decision and you informing us about it.

Just one question.

Will Team Avatar (in current (former?) or new form) be allowed to continue to look for (and prototype) new possible gameplay once the current "Expansion Frenzy" is over?

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Anslo
Scope Works
#28 - 2012-10-09 13:03:30 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
Without seeing the prototype, judging only by your post, I just can't see any connection between my exploration party derping around a space station looking for artifacts, and the grand political strategy of empires made up of thousands of players fighting each other for space dominance. It could just as well be a whole new game set in the EVE universe, only loosely if at all connected to the EVE game at all (not unlike Dust).

Because DUSTies stay on planets like the plebs they are. As capsuleers vying for dominance, we all seek any way possible to one up each other, including but not limited to exploring Sleeper derelicts looking for shinies to use. Think of it as exploration anomalies, but on a station, in a suit, and with a gun in your hands.

Quote:
I don't see how the avatar gameplay could bring anything new to the player-player interaction EVE is based upon. In the form you describe it as, I don't expect it to become anything more than PI right now - just a gimmicky minigame to gather X resource. Only without the meta-game of fighting over planets. I don't see why I should prefer EVE-avatar-sim over activating a codebreaker module, and playing a proper full FPS/3PS game afterwards.

Are you trolling? Player-player interaction with humanized avatar's tend to humanize the players themselves as opposed to making them abstract hunks of metal. People like interacting with people, not hulls. Just because YOU don't doesn't mean others wouldn't like it. It's a more fun experience to invade and look around for tech than sit there in a ship while your codebreaker cycle. Not everyone enjoys dull experiences. Change can be good.

Quote:
Many people want there to be more significant content for smaller groups of people. So allow players to board/infiltrate an enemy Infrastructure hub, and hack the upgrades installed within. Or for larger squads even disable station services. The IHub's owners in the same system will be alerted can also enter and defend it. Otherwise it's defended by automated platforms (possibly allow these to be upgraded as an IHub upgrade too). If the attacker succeeds, the hacked upgrade(s) will be disabled for a period of time, or until the attackers are driven out by the defenders. The longer the attacker can hold the hack, the longer the upgrades are disabled. This encourages both sides to reinforce the ongoing avatar battle with more spaceships bringing in troops, and to stop the enemy from doing the same. If the respawn mechanic of avatars somehow depends on who is holding the space grid over the IHub, the fight could quickly escalate to a battle both in space and in the corridors.

Me gusta....seriously, with a stealth infiltration ship, this kind of gives small corps an upper hand versus the big guy. I like.

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#29 - 2012-10-09 13:03:38 UTC
Cold, dark places, also far from safe. I think I will like it.
But please, don't make it in the way that someone can one-shoot you. It would kill all fun.
Anslo
Scope Works
#30 - 2012-10-09 13:08:01 UTC
Bagrat Skalski wrote:
But please, don't make it in the way that someone can one-shoot you. It would kill all fun.

Are you kidding? That'd make it MORE fun. Picture it, exploring a sleeper station, harvesting some stuff. Suddenly that jerk that podded you a few weeks back and spammed your mail is in the same station...problem is he isn't so "hard core" outside his ship and he sucks at FPS/3PS style gameplay. You however, do not....

:3

Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#31 - 2012-10-09 13:12:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Abdiel Kavash
Anslo wrote:
Because DUSTies stay on planets like the plebs they are. As capsuleers vying for dominance, we all seek any way possible to one up each other, including but not limited to exploring Sleeper derelicts looking for shinies to use. Think of it as exploration anomalies, but on a station, in a suit, and with a gun in your hands.

I don't see how - again, in the grand scheme of things - this is any different from exploring anomalies from my battlecruiser by shooting said sleepers with space guns. Other than the switch of the gaming genre to one perhaps not everybody (myself included) particularly enjoys. End result is the same, you go in, you shoot some NPCs, you get loot. Only the visuals differ.

Is it cool, new and awesome? Definitely!

Would I like to see CCP spend time on this instead of a working treaty system, corporation management tools, starbase mechanics, less tedious sov grinding? I don't think so. YMMV.

Anslo wrote:
Are you trolling? Player-player interaction with humanized avatar's tend to humanize the players themselves as opposed to making them abstract hunks of metal. People like interacting with people, not hulls. Just because YOU don't doesn't mean others wouldn't like it.

I don't know how you play EVE, and I have nothing against your playstyle, whatever it is. But the way I play EVE I interact with other people daily. And I would definitely rather shoot other people in spaceships than shoot some meaningless respawning NPCs in an EVA suit. Again, YMMV.
Mai Khumm
#32 - 2012-10-09 13:13:08 UTC
This looks awesome...! Too bad it'll be years until we actually grt our hands on it!!!
Eugene Kerner
TunDraGon
Goonswarm Federation
#33 - 2012-10-09 13:14:03 UTC
Sounds cool...curious. Carry on!

TunDraGon is recruiting! "Also, your boobs [:o] "   CCP Eterne, 2012 "When in doubt...make a diȼk joke." Robin Williams - RIP

Alice Saki
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#34 - 2012-10-09 13:14:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Alice Saki
Mai Khumm wrote:
This looks awesome...! Too bad it'll be years until we actually grt our hands on it!!!

You made me a Sad Panda

FREEZE! Drop the LIKES AND WALK AWAY! - Currenly rebuilding gaming machine, I will Return.

pussnheels
Viziam
#35 - 2012-10-09 13:16:52 UTC
wait wait , you mean we can leave our pod in space to explore some ancient or not so ancient spaceshipwreck to look for things we can use to produce more things

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Arthay
#36 - 2012-10-09 13:17:22 UTC
Does that mean Boxy the Ninja is back? Big smile

If you find any misspelling or grammar errors, your allowed to keep them.

Bagrat Skalski
Koinuun Kotei
#37 - 2012-10-09 13:19:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Bagrat Skalski
Anslo wrote:
Bagrat Skalski wrote:

Are you kidding? That'd make it MORE fun. Picture it, exploring a sleeper station, harvesting some stuff. Suddenly that jerk that podded you a few weeks back and spammed your mail is in the same station...problem is he isn't so "hard core" outside his ship and he sucks at FPS/3PS style gameplay. You however, do not....

:3

Naaaah, there is nothing fun in "I WIN" button, skill, and weapon. I tried it in AoC. If you want it, you have to earn it.
Anslo
Scope Works
#38 - 2012-10-09 13:20:20 UTC
Abdiel Kavash wrote:
I don't see how - again, in the grand scheme of things - this is any different from exploring anomalies from my battlecruiser by shooting said sleepers with space guns. Other than the switch of the gaming genre to one perhaps not everybody (myself included) particularly enjoys. End result is the same, you go in, you shoot some NPCs, you get loot. Only the visuals differ. Is it cool, new and awesome? Definitely! Would I like to see CCP spend time on this instead of a working treaty system, corporation management tools, starbase mechanics, less tedious sov grinding? I don't think so.

OK think of it this way...how are you more able to get intact loot in greater volumes, extracting it EVA? Or blasting it to smithereens? Think about it. You'd get more intact and new items going in than just shooting em up. Picture this. We use PLEX for 30-days IGT. The implants DUSTies use are sleeper based. Maybe those same implants can be sold (intact) at high prices for bonus items or abilities, or as better gear or something. I don't know what you know about physics, but fragile items like implants, soldier armor and weaponry etc will not be standing up to a blast from 8 tachyon beams.

So while the lazy way would make the gameplay unnecessary as you say it is, the team is working hard tyo make sure its needed AND lucrative.

Quote:
I don't know how you play EVE, and I have nothing against your playstyle, whatever it is. But the way I play EVE I interact with other people daily. And I would definitely rather shoot other people in spaceships than shoot some meaningless respawning NPCs in an EVA suit.

Whats to say you cant shoot someone else in the same station trying to harvest stuff at the same time? Whats the difference between shooting them? Oh right, you'd need skill to shoot them in a station instead of just clicking a gun in space. Hah.

You wanna stay in space? Stay in space. But if executed right, these sleeper stations will hold major loot that people will let slip by because HURRHURR EVE IS SPACESHIP GAEM ONLY HURR. Not saying you're like that, but there are a few out there like that.

CCP t0rfifrans
C C P
C C P Alliance
#39 - 2012-10-09 13:24:12 UTC
Hey guys, thanks for the positive reaction. Like stated above, our vision is to make the EVE Universe the ultimate science fiction simulator. Saying that EVE is just about spaceships, is a bit like saying that phones should only be about making voice phone calls one on one with other people. Indeed they did start out like that, but as technology evolved, they become something much bigger. We hope you guys stay with us long enough for that dream to materialize.

Oh and to someone that asked if it can be safe. Sorry, nope. The EVA gameplay is not safe, it's as safe as going into a wormhole. That's also what makes it interesting.
Warde Guildencrantz
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-10-09 13:26:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Warde Guildencrantz
confirming goodfeature

deadspace in my eve plz? I want to shoot stuff with a built in salvager and use built in tractor beam to grab far off debris. Electrical rewiring puzzle-majigs to reroute power to closed doors.

While you are at it build a "scan visor" into the suit, to scan certain objects and receive information about them, a-la Metroid Prime. That was honestly the best feature for people who want to nerd out in space exploration. Example:

"This creature has suffered severe lacerations to the sternum, resulting in fatal blood loss."

Could be a way of receiving hints on how to navigate the wreck.

TunDraGon ~ Low sec piracy since 2003 ~ Youtube ~ Join Us