These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

The Shrinking Sandbox - Eve by numbers

First post First post First post
Author
Jenshae Chiroptera
#561 - 2015-05-13 04:09:58 UTC
Ares Desideratus wrote:
There is a difference between what people do within the game against a character and using the game as a psychological weapon against a player.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#562 - 2015-05-13 04:24:17 UTC
Jenshae Chiroptera wrote:
Ares Desideratus wrote:
There is a difference between what people do within the game against a character and using the game as a psychological weapon against a player.

How? How is there a difference between these two ideas and who gets to decide when a player's actions become a "psychological weapon"?

This is the type of **** that bothers me, where are you getting this information? These two concepts you just described could actually be the exact same thing, just described differently.
Jenshae Chiroptera
#563 - 2015-05-13 04:46:20 UTC
Go Youtube Erotica1 as an example.

CCP - Building ant hills and magnifying glasses for fat kids

Not even once

EVE is becoming shallow and puerile; it will satisfy neither the veteran nor the "WoW" type crowd in the transition.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#564 - 2015-05-13 05:11:48 UTC  |  Edited by: Malcanis
Ares Desideratus wrote:
Ares Desideratus wrote:

How? How is there a difference between these two ideas and who gets to decide when a player's actions become a "psychological weapon"?

This is the type of **** that bothers me, where are you getting this information? These two concepts you just described could actually be the exact same thing, just described differently.

CCP get to decide, and they've made it very clear that if they're sufficiently motivated, that they will effect that choice.

It has been made extremely clear that there is a dividing line between attacking a player character and using the game to attack the player. Or to put it another way, that EVE is only a game, and and that while you're meant to play it as a cold dark ruthless game, that you should have a miminum of respect for the other players.

Since you've made it abundantly clear that you have a great deal of difficulty in distinguishing the two concepts, I advise you to tread well clear of overstepping the line, if for no other reason that CCP have also made it extremely clear that even associating with people like you isn't a great idea either, and you've said that you have at least one buddy who enjoys your company in game.

I'll try and use an analogy, which I fully expect you to fail to understand and dismiss as "pretentious hipster drivel": American football is a full contact, physical sport, and if you tackle me hard when I'm carrying the ball and I get hurt, well too bad, these things happen and I chose to play the game knowing that they do. But if you stamp on my face after I've lost possession, just for the hell of it, then you'll be off the pitcch, banned for several matches or even for ever, and looking at assault charges.

That's the difference between "playing the game hard and if someone gets hurt then too bad" and "being a ****": if all you want to do is "be a ****" then you can and will be ejected from the game and no one will miss you.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#565 - 2015-05-13 05:51:32 UTC
Well I have no respect for ANY of you? What do you think of that?

OK, but seriously. These lines, these moral dividing lines, this is some ****** up ****. There's a dark area where I don't even wanna bother peering into. Just as I was thinking, "maybe I'm just a sociopath" BAM, we're treading the territory of sociopaths and line-crossers. Over the course of my life I've become more and more inclined to cross the line, on purpose. You tell me not to do something, and it's gonna make me wanna do it even more. Of course I respect all other people, would never hurt no one, I almost never get angry and am more anti-social than anything. I just hate the idea of following rules. When I'm in public I do the stupidest **** just because I know people will think it's weird.

And I know this ain't about me. I'm trying not to be self-centered. I just couldn't imagine the extreme lengths that some people would go to in a video game.

Specifically regarding that Erotica 1 dude. That is some ****** up ****. As ****** up as that was, I'm still not sure I agree with him being banned and all of that, but I guess it don't really matter anyway.

Also, quit making assumptions about me just because of my stance on this subject. I'm just a fun loving guy who likes to trash his opponents sometimes.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#566 - 2015-05-13 06:19:52 UTC
Ares Desideratus wrote:

Also, quit making assumptions about me.

I've done nothing but take you at your word. If you repeatedly insist that you're a ****, and repeatedly asert that you can't see any reaon not to be one, or any difference between playing hard and crossing the line then why act disappointed when people react as though you're telling the truth?

I mean actually I'm pretty sure that I know why; you're an emotionally immature little bully who got scared when he suddenly realised that there actually is an authority figure on the playground. It was most entertaining seeing you back up so fast that your shoes smoked.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Aza Ebanu
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#567 - 2015-05-13 06:35:50 UTC
Tiddle Jr wrote:
.... So the problem remain the same - does sandbox ready to be turned into a desert?
Wurm is a great example where people can have their own village (equate this to a corp) and the average village population is 0-1. I asked a load of people and it seems to boil down to dreams of leading their own group.

I see a lot of other guilds and in EVE corps try and die.

This points to a dreams of people wanting to lead groups and probably have their own "Null Sec" kingdom. When word spread of how awful the changes are (if they are implemented as described in Fozzie Logic's dev blog) then I think a lot of people will lose that dream and that hope. They might not have it consciously but I think when it is gone it will undermine their reason for staying in EVE so there will be people quitting from other parts of space.

I think you are right on the money there.
Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#568 - 2015-05-13 07:21:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ares Desideratus
Malcanis wrote:
Ares Desideratus wrote:

I've done nothing but take you at your word. If you repeatedly insist that you're a ****, and repeatedly asert that you can't see any reaon not to be one, or any difference between playing hard and crossing the line then why act disappointed when people react as though you're telling the truth?

I mean actually I'm pretty sure that I know why; you're an emotionally immature little bully who got scared when he suddenly realised that there actually is an authority figure on the playground. It was most entertaining seeing you back up so fast that your shoes smoked.

I've already been banned from this game, I obviously would like to keep playing. But do you really think I got scared? Like CCP is gonna come in here and ban me for not recognizing the limits of behaviour in this game?

I never insisted I was a jerk I just said that there's nothing wrong with being a jerk in this game. Difference. You're a real tough guy though, man, I'm so scared now because IT'S POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET BANNED FROM THIS GAME .... Oh no. Shocked I don't know what I'm going to do now. I'm scared. Please help.

You are an *******. And a moron. Go cry to CCP to ban me now. Lol
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#569 - 2015-05-13 10:01:12 UTC
Well there was no real need for any extra corroboration, but thank you for taking the trouble to provide it anyway.

So anyway, back to the original topic. The new structures devblog looks extremely interesting. Lots of new sand for the box there.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#570 - 2015-05-13 10:27:10 UTC
Ares Desideratus wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Ares Desideratus wrote:

I've already been banned from this game, I obviously would like to keep playing. But do you really think I got scared? Like CCP is gonna come in here and ban me for not recognizing the limits of behaviour in this game?

I never insisted I was a jerk I just said that there's nothing wrong with being a jerk in this game. Difference. You're a real tough guy though, man, I'm so scared now because IT'S POSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET BANNED FROM THIS GAME .... Oh no. Shocked I don't know what I'm going to do now. I'm scared. Please help.

You are an *******. And a moron. Go cry to CCP to ban me now. Lol

See how very careful you were there "NOT" to cross the line.
(using known chat filters to moderate your language is really quite intelligent and takes common sense - just below the line of unacceptable)

FYI, if you get banned for crossing the line, it has nothing to do with whether Malcanis is a tough guy or not, CCP make that call. He is just trying to show you the common decency of being forewarned. Already, you are looking for someone to blame for your actions.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Solecist Project
#571 - 2015-05-13 10:46:14 UTC
Did the topic shift somehow ?

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#572 - 2015-05-13 10:48:47 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Well there was no real need for any extra corroboration, but thank you for taking the trouble to provide it anyway.

So anyway, back to the original topic. The new structures devblog looks extremely interesting. Lots of new sand for the box there.

The concepts shown do look good.
Not sure if I missed it or it just wasn't mentioned but can the citadel weapons be manually controlled, like pos guns?

Stations for player controlled WH space, a real game changer - No more living out of a pos.
Although this; (2nd sentence in particular)
Quote:
All structures will show on D-scan, can be probed, and will be scannable to see their fittings and contents. We are also thinking of having them visible and directly warpable from the on-board scanner to preserve Wormhole space gameplay.
leaves me wondering. To preserve Wormhole space gameplay by making it so you can warp directly to player owned structures using the on-board scanner? Is that not the exact opposite of how WH space is searched now?

Corps (many of whom live in wh's and are not in alliances) will not have the benefit of alliance invulnerability timers yet can plant the citadel structures in WH space. Which will be visible to anyone entering the system by simply opening the on-board scanner.
That to me does not sound like it is "preserving" Wormhole gameplay but completely changing it.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

Solecist Project
#573 - 2015-05-13 10:49:48 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

Reddit seems to be all over it, including lots of false hopes
that will get crushed by those who have more power. ^_^

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#574 - 2015-05-13 10:53:37 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
Did the topic shift somehow ?

The original topic has sort of shifted a few times.
People come in, talk about something they wish to express then it moves to something else.

Right now, the new structure blog seems a good thing to discuss.
And is related to the original topic. (had to read the title again just to make sure Lol )

My opinions are mine.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#575 - 2015-05-13 11:03:35 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

It does seem for the smarter alliances at least, to be a way of at least holding your own against "more power" by positioning your alliance and structures in the right places.

The fact no-one can withstand the full strength of a determined blob will always remain but done right, the citadel structures could make losing a lot more fun and costly for the blobs of extreme power.
It is in the hands of Devs as to whether the new structures help to shift balances of power or are just pretty pixel sticks with guns.

My opinions are mine.

Solecist Project
#576 - 2015-05-13 11:09:11 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

It does seem for the smarter alliances at least, to be a way of at least holding your own against "more power" by positioning your alliance and structures in the right places.

The fact no-one can withstand the full strength of a determined blob will always remain but done right, the citadel structures could make losing a lot more fun and costly for the blobs of extreme power.
It is in the hands of Devs as to whether the new structures help to shift balances of power or are just pretty pixel sticks with guns.

It's really interesting what they are creating.

It will make a lot of people join. I'm even sure as a solo person
with actual brain one will be able to actually do something annoying.

All the smaller groups lead by wannabe space emperors in highsec ...
... will get crushed as they should ...
... making room for those who deserve it.

RvB is a predictable winner here ...
... but oh boy this opens up sk many possibilities of shitting over people.

I like it.
Combat for structures.
I predict they will change wardecs or abolish them for a completely different experience.

Because wardecs as we have them now are useless for this.

Good tmes are coming... too bad it takes so long until it's done.

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#577 - 2015-05-13 12:17:21 UTC
Solecist Project wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Solecist Project wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

It's really interesting what they are creating.

It will make a lot of people join. I'm even sure as a solo person
with actual brain one will be able to actually do something annoying.

All the smaller groups lead by wannabe space emperors in highsec ...
... will get crushed as they should ...
... making room for those who deserve it.

RvB is a predictable winner here ...
... but oh boy this opens up sk many possibilities of shitting over people.

I like it.
Combat for structures.
I predict they will change wardecs or abolish them for a completely different experience.

Because wardecs as we have them now are useless for this.

Good tmes are coming... too bad it takes so long until it's done.

Your right on everything but the time it will take.
Yes it will seem like forever but then many have been waiting forever for meaningful change. A little longer waiting for some possibly great changes is worth it.

The Citadels level the playing field a little for smaller unaligned groups when faced with a blob. They may still lose the war but the fight could be way more interesting and fun.
Citadels can shoot ships, citadels should be destroyed by ships shooting them.
Use the entosis link to reinforce it and set the next phase by creating a timer, then one of two thing happens. Enemy turns up with DPS fleet and entosis support to destroy Citadel or they come with Entosis links and DPS support to capture it.

My opinions are mine.

Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#578 - 2015-05-13 14:00:19 UTC
Let's all cross the line together. Don't be scared homie!
Solecist Project
#579 - 2015-05-13 14:02:30 UTC
Hahaha I've had my fair share of 180s already. ^_^

0bama Barack Hussein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#580 - 2015-05-13 14:15:27 UTC  |  Edited by: 0bama Barack Hussein
Just as a reminder of topic, numbers don´t lie.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

5 years: 49K online daily (at average)

6 months: 36K

1 month: 24K

Pretty big % drops, to me they suggest shrinking number of accounts as well, and so that CCP might be in big problems and now took panic measures in June changes (my opinions of changes are in my last posts in dev blog).

Perhaps some of that income from number of accounts has now been replaced by allowing skilling of more than one char in any account.

Just like when Elite Dangerous had "offline-gate" (when it launched without promised offline mode at mid last December and many backers took their money back), EvE saw huge spike in new accounts/chars created around that time.

Not sure how many of those people have stayed in EvE, but last 6 months averages sure don´ t look good.

CCP is in a totally new kind of situation, even from view of competition it has and will have as gamers have more choices (not all even Sci-Fi), so it should (have) stick(ed) in what EvE had it´s strong points that no other similar games had:
Same single server where one is able to build AND rule an EMPIRE.
Not to forget being even able to fly (and/or aim to) biggest of ships ever in Sci-Fi, and make some serious damage with them.

Best of luck for CCP with their June-gamble, in this financial/business/competition environment they now are they sure need it.

-0BH