These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Has suicide ganking become a problem? Empty freighters being ganked.

First post First post First post
Author
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#141 - 2014-06-17 00:52:03 UTC
Vigilant wrote:
Pretty simple and many will disagree:

negative 5 to 10, can not use a 0.5 or higher gate. Can not access High even in a pod

BEEP DONE! Shocked

If your caught recycling alts, all accounts related to your "real name" are banned. Twisted

Harsh but effective...Your choice to pirate in HIGH has consequences. Risk vs. Reward is achieved!

Sounds good. How about -5 to +5 and you can't traverse lowsec gates. After all, what business do such upstanding citizens have on the bad side of town?
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#142 - 2014-06-17 00:52:51 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
If people just stopped doing that, accepted loss gracefully and moved on, the stories would dry up along with a lot of the enjoyment.

Asking people like that to accept loss gracefully is like asking a goat to fly. The kind of people who spew out real life death threats and vile sexual insults because they got blown up in a videogame don't have it in them to do such a thing.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Capt Starfox
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#143 - 2014-06-17 00:53:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Capt Starfox
Noragli wrote:
I want to point out the kills made by the character loyalanon and his buddies, specifically many of the kills made in Aufay (0.5) on 14th june. You can find them on eve-kill.net

I am not linking direct to the killboard, but his group (mostly his corporation "The Conference Elite" and a few others, suicide ganked freighters, many of them empty or carrying nothing of value. They also targetted other ships of value where they could cause a large isk loss to the player, even if they were certain to get nothing out of it for themselves.

It used to be just the freighters carrying too high value cargo that were targetted, but now, even empty ships are targetted.

I personally don't care if changes are made to fix this or not. It doesn't affect me directly, I do not use frieghters or other high value ships. This is just an observation I made, a line was crossed when they started targetting empty ships just for the sake of it. Is it time for change?

A -10 character, or a character with sec status below the accepted system minimum requirement should not be able to chain gank people. They should be barred from boarding a ship in high security space, or at least barred from entering warp in any ship except for a pod. It's exactly the same as when a concord flagged player tries to undock in a ship or board a ship, concord has you blocked from activating your warp drive. If concord can already do this, then there's no reason why they can't do this automatically to players who fall below the minimum system security status. They can still travel through empire in a pod, they just can't chain gank people. It's stupid that concord would allow this to happen.

You can't patch stupid, it's the fault of the Freighter pilot.

Abandon all hope ye who x up in fleet

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#144 - 2014-06-17 00:53:51 UTC
Spectral Tiger wrote:

'because I can' that's bit of a weak argument, and that isn't the real reason as there's always another reason behind that one. I guess it could be farming useless kill mails, but I suspect it's more than just that.

Because it's funny. I won't sugar coat it. Everyone gets a hearty laugh from watching that freighter burn.
Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#145 - 2014-06-17 00:54:39 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

negative 5 to 10, can not use a 0.5 or higher gate. Can not access High even in a pod

BEEP DONE! Shocked

If your caught recycling alts, all accounts related to your "real name" are banned. Twisted

Harsh but effective...Your choice to pirate in HIGH has consequences. Risk vs. Reward is achieved!

Sounds good. How about -5 to +5 and you can't traverse lowsec gates. After all, what business do such upstanding citizens have on the bad side of town?

That's not exactly a deterrent for people like that. They want to stay in highsec, and shut out all the people they don't like.

Instead, what you should offer is that if they want to balance risk and reward like that, since they'd be removing 99.9% of the risk out of highsec, that no single PvE activity in highsec should be able to make more than 100,000 isk per hour.

That'd fit risk/reward nicely.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Vigilant
Vigilant's Vigilante's
#146 - 2014-06-17 00:55:13 UTC
Domanique Altares wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

BEEP DONE! Shocked

I am okay with that Lol Again many would not be....

But, as upstanding citizens of the EVE Universe we shouldn't be limited in our travels. Just like in reality, yah shocker I know, common sense is applied to a EVE problem.
Ursula Thrace
Dreamland Augmented Consortium
#147 - 2014-06-17 00:55:37 UTC
Noragli wrote:
a line was crossed when they started targetting empty ships just for the sake of it.

really? what line was crossed? i'm not trolling, i'm serious. this is a pvp game. these players engaged in pvp and destroyed internet pixels. what's the harm?

am i missing something ? isn't this what eve is all about?
Spectral Tiger
#148 - 2014-06-17 00:58:08 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Spectral Tiger wrote:

'because I can' that's bit of a weak argument, and that isn't the real reason as there's always another reason behind that one. I guess it could be farming useless kill mails, but I suspect it's more than just that.

Out of curiosity, if it's a legal action in game, why would "the real reason" matter at all?

It's the intent behind the action that matters not necessarily the action itself. And I have to wonder from what I've read, what that intent is.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#149 - 2014-06-17 00:58:15 UTC
Scipio Artelius wrote:
Domanique Altares wrote:
Hopefully it did. Because paying someone to ostensibly leave you alone never taught anyone anything worth learning.

If people really want to learn them, then they need to learn to ignore them after the gank.

The rage that results in local and Evemail makes for entertaining stories on the blog. So do the stories of the fail Corps that swear revenge.

While James puts the stories together, he doesn't really write them. They are written by those that rage and shed tears. If people just stopped doing that, accepted loss gracefully and moved on, the stories would dry up along with a lot of the enjoyment.

I don't actually care about the people who get ganked. There should be more of them. There should be more gankers, too, and that's my issue. I'm desperately tired of seeing incompetent clowns spewing this crap in all their RP glory when all they ever do is grief the **** out of people with bumping and nonsense while demanding a 'permit.'

Just extort them straight out; or don't. Gank them straight out; or don't. But don't be one of the assclowns that claims to 'own' a part of highsec when the only thing you do about it is bump some people and talk **** in local.
Capt Starfox
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#150 - 2014-06-17 00:58:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Capt Starfox
^PvP
Spectral Tiger wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Spectral Tiger wrote:

Out of curiosity, if it's a legal action in game, why would "the real reason" matter at all?

It's the intent behind the action that matters not necessarily the action itself. And I have to wonder from what I've read, what that intent is.

PvP.

Abandon all hope ye who x up in fleet

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#151 - 2014-06-17 01:01:44 UTC
Vigilant wrote:
Just like in reality,

You mean like in reality where criminals can and do go where ever they like without a big red flashing symbol over their head that announces their status and presence to everyone? A symbol gives any nearby citizen the authority to gun them down without even an eyebrow raised by the authorities?

Erica Dusette
Division 13
#152 - 2014-06-17 01:02:07 UTC
Vigilant wrote:

What about those of us who've never hurt a fly in highsec, but like to shoot first in lowsec. Straight

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Vigilant
Vigilant's Vigilante's
#153 - 2014-06-17 01:07:03 UTC
Erica Dusette wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

What about those of us who've never hurt a fly in highsec, but like to shoot first in lowsec. Straight

Same choice was made to pirate Blink I think that is bottom line of what i am saying.
Erica Dusette
Division 13
#154 - 2014-06-17 01:08:43 UTC
Vigilant wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

Same choice was made to pirate Blink I think that is bottom line of what i am saying.

So what you're saying is that because I indulge in consensual PVP with other consensual PVP'ers in low security space I should be banned from areas of HS alltogether?

Jack Miton > you be nice or you're sleeping on the couch again!

Part-Time Wormhole Pirate Full-Time Supermodel

worмнole dιary + cнaracтer вιoѕвσss

Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#155 - 2014-06-17 01:10:19 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Domanique Altares wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

BEEP DONE! Shocked

That's not exactly a deterrent for people like that. They want to stay in highsec, and shut out all the people they don't like.

Instead, what you should offer is that if they want to balance risk and reward like that, since they'd be removing 99.9% of the risk out of highsec, that no single PvE activity in highsec should be able to make more than 100,000 isk per hour.

That'd fit risk/reward nicely.

Sounds good to me. No risk, no reward. All lvl 3-4s to low and null, all 1-2s nerfed, exploration sites and Incursions go to low and null. Should be pretty sweet in high sec after that. A veritable paradise.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#156 - 2014-06-17 01:11:39 UTC
Erica Dusette wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

So what you're saying is that because I indulge in consensual PVP with other consensual PVP'ers in low security space I should be banned from areas of HS alltogether?

Pretty much. See, if we all agree to never be the one to fire first we can all be friends instead and then New Eden can be a happy place.
Spectral Tiger
#157 - 2014-06-17 01:12:32 UTC
Capt Starfox wrote:
^PvP
Spectral Tiger wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Spectral Tiger wrote:

PvP.

Players verses dead duck, it's not what I would call PvP although technically it is. The only PvP from the freighter pilot is to try and escape, another words attempting to avoid PvP.
Vigilant
Vigilant's Vigilante's
#158 - 2014-06-17 01:14:49 UTC
Erica Dusette wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Erica Dusette wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

If you do consensual crimes in reality with others, do you still pay the same price if caught by the cops (i.e. Concord in EVE)? The answer is --- Yes

EVE rides a thin line that no one, even CCP, will not address. How to make all the player base happy with what "want" to do in the sandbox we love to play in. But rarely punishes anyone for actions that can't be easily circumvented (in this case high security ganking).

And with CCP's changes to freighters, they made them even easier to kill. Better off flying a TP now a days and doing many runs, like the old days (before freighters) assuming you like your stuff in your hanger or in one piece.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#159 - 2014-06-17 01:15:17 UTC
Spectral Tiger wrote:
Capt Starfox wrote:
^PvP
Spectral Tiger wrote:
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Spectral Tiger wrote:

PvP.

Players verses dead duck, it's not what I would call PvP although technically it is. The only PvP from the freighter pilot is to try and escape, another words attempting to avoid PvP.

Most of them that are actually attempting to avoid PvP manage to do so.
Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#160 - 2014-06-17 01:17:38 UTC
Kaarous Aldurald wrote:
Asking people like that to accept loss gracefully is like asking a goat to fly. The kind of people who spew out real life death threats and vile sexual insults because they got blown up in a videogame don't have it in them to do such a thing.

I know. Maturity isn't the same in everyone and even normally mature, level headed people can be triggered by simple things at different times, because real world emotional state affects in game reactions.

It was more an aspirational wish than any hope for reality.