These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Has suicide ganking become a problem? Empty freighters being ganked.

First post First post First post
Author
malcovas Henderson
THoF
#101 - 2014-06-16 22:30:07 UTC
I do not understand what OP's problem is. I for one have a Charon pilot. He never travels alone. He is never AFK's . I use a one jump scout. He has a tank fit. I went through Aufrey a total 15 times across Saturday, Sunday, and today. Never looked close to being ganked jumping over 150 jumps. The only time I docked was when scout saw 20+ flashy's on one gate.

Flying any ship without due care and attention demands the loss of ship. AFK demands the loss of pod. I still use Dscan in Hi sec (old habits die hard)

Anybody losing any ship to ganks lost it by their own complacency / greed.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#102 - 2014-06-16 22:30:08 UTC
Zappity wrote:
Carmen Electra wrote:
Zappity wrote:
I think routinely ganking empty freighters is pretty stupid. There is no defence against this other than not flying freighters. Going down this path will definitely result in a further nerf to ganking.

Everything should have a counter. It should be carrying a cargo value below the ganking threshold.


EVE has a reputation for being brutal for a reason. Most of the time, EVE is all about finding a weaker target and then mercilessly crushing them. We all win some and we all lose some.

Do you realize that this thread is only encouraging people to go gank empty freighters? Asking gankers to live by a sort of bro-code will not end well.

I was not making a "value judgement" about ganking but rather commenting on the inevitable, self-defeating outcome of such action.


You're assuming that the game designers would be forced to address ganking if people were to continue unprofitable ganking. I don't know if that's a very safe assumption.

Besides, people have always done things just for lulz. If freighter pilots start flying around in properly tanked freighters, I doubt we'll be seeing a sustained effort to gank empty freighters given the expense involved.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#103 - 2014-06-16 22:33:05 UTC
Hal Morsh wrote:
The real problem is some people just have too many alts and too much isk.


There is no such thing Twisted
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#104 - 2014-06-16 22:36:18 UTC
Oh my.. this thread is getting good.




X up for popcorn refills.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#105 - 2014-06-16 22:42:45 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
Oh my.. this thread is getting good.




X up for popcorn refills.


The tear collector that I anchored on the 2nd page has already filled up (sooner than I expected). Time to anchor another... Roll
ashley Eoner
#106 - 2014-06-16 22:45:59 UTC
To answer the question posed in the title of this post. I don't think suicide ganking is a problem yet. I believe the situation does warrant continued monitoring though.
412nv Yaken
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#107 - 2014-06-16 22:49:07 UTC
Noragli wrote:


I am not linking direct to the killboard, but his group (mostly his corporation "The Conference Elite" and a few others, suicide ganked freighters, many of them empty or carrying nothing of value. They also targetted other ships of value where they could cause a large isk loss to the player, even if they were certain to get nothing out of it for themselves.


I will link the KB for us all to bask in the glory of having a massive thread of tears created on our behalf.

http://theconference.eve-kill.net/

I don't know when this will get through but if ganking empty freighters just because they are autopiloting and not playing the game doesn't show what we are about, nothing ever will. We gank in the name of creating a better highsec. All those afk shuttles, dock up to go afk, you wouldn't go afk on a gate in low or null sec, so what makes you think highsec is the same, we are the reminder that EVE is a harsh and unforgiving place and highsec isn't a theme park for carebears to play around in.

Noragli wrote:

A -10 character, or a character with sec status below the accepted system minimum requirement should not be able to chain gank people. They should be barred from boarding a ship in high security space, or at least barred from entering warp in any ship except for a pod. It's exactly the same as when a concord flagged player tries to undock in a ship or board a ship, concord has you blocked from activating your warp drive. If concord can already do this, then there's no reason why they can't do this automatically to players who fall below the minimum system security status. They can still travel through empire in a pod, they just can't chain gank people. It's stupid that concord would allow this to happen.


This has got to be the dumbest thing i have ever ever ever heard. Please just go back to WOW or get a permit.

A True Champion of High Security Space

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#108 - 2014-06-16 22:54:21 UTC
Noragli wrote:
A -10 character, or a character with sec status below the accepted system minimum requirement should not be able to chain gank people. They should be barred from boarding a ship in high security space, or at least barred from entering warp in any ship except for a pod. It's exactly the same as when a concord flagged player tries to undock in a ship or board a ship, concord has you blocked from activating your warp drive. If concord can already do this, then there's no reason why they can't do this automatically to players who fall below the minimum system security status. They can still travel through empire in a pod, they just can't chain gank people. It's stupid that concord would allow this to happen.
Protip: CONCORD doesn't care about carebears.

CONCORD hates carebears.

CONCORD officers are killmail wh*res just like the rest of us.

Proof (since everybody seems to need it lately): CONCORD Police Captain is Top Killer month in month out.

Why would they purposely lose kill opportunities?

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Jegrey Dozer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#109 - 2014-06-16 22:56:04 UTC
Noragli wrote:
Many of those ganked and pod killed were in empty freighters, or shuttles, or pretty much any ship is targetted just for the sake of getting a kill and hoping to kill a pod full of implants.

I wonder how many cancel their subscription.


So they targeted anyone indiscriminately? In other words, what you have told us is that the title and your original post are both misleading?

If your argument is that ganking is out of hand because a single highsec system was dangerous, you have a wildly exaggerated sense of danger.

Ultimately, all I gained to understand from you, OP, is that you are very much a solo player. Please join the rest of us in EVE-Multiplayer mode. That way you can recruit friends to help you get to your destination safely.

Problem solved.
Pok Nibin
Doomheim
#110 - 2014-06-16 23:00:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Pok Nibin
Alternative Splicing wrote:
Excessive hisec ganking is.... extremely easy to get into, you have free catalysts for life, and KMs are everywhere to be found. This is compared with other areas of the game, which are not easy to get into, can be difficult to stay ISK positive, and finding fights is at least half the struggle.

There are no hisec mechanics that can be tweaked to change this without destroying the game.
I think you hit the nail on the proverbial head. Yet, I find that this has more to do with the attention span, and imagination of the players doing it. You can blame game dynamics for null and low sec, but ultimately, there's a "new breed" that isn't interested in anything that is involved or takes effort.

The question then becomes, do we want our game over run by these kinds of players? In the long run where will EVE wind up if they are catered to at the expense of the more cerebral and MATURE players. I find those of the GANKER mentality don't stick with things very long. They trash some place, bad mouth it then move on to do it somewhere else. Follow their trail you see nothing created. You see a trail of trash.

For this reason I have forebodings about accepting this as a desirable element or method. And, no, this isn't a democracy. There is NO Internet Constitution of Gamers with an amendment giving gankers the right to go game to game under the flag of "I'm a PvP-er," pressuring devs to turn a game their way, then abandoning it "cause it sucks."

EVE WAS supposed to be better than that. Maybe we've forgotten what we're doing here.
Or, maybe we're letting someone repaint the barn for us - oink oink.

The right to free speech doesn't automatically carry with it the right to be taken seriously.

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#111 - 2014-06-16 23:02:20 UTC
I just ganked this piece of lint.




Navel cleanliness is getting out of hand.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#112 - 2014-06-16 23:17:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Khergit Deserters
Conference Elite is making a bid to steal the grrr away from Goons. What a bunch of showboaters. Smile

(I personally think they're an alt of Erotica [some number]. who is an alt of James 315. Proof: deductive/intuitive reasoning. And reading slug and/or snail trail patterns).

Edit: I edited this post after I'd gotten a Like. My apologies, feel free to Unlike.
Brian Harrelstein
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#113 - 2014-06-16 23:18:17 UTC
Jegrey Dozer wrote:
Ultimately, all I gained to understand from you, OP, is that you are very much a solo player. Please join the rest of us in EVE-Multiplayer mode. That way you can recruit friends to help you get to your destination safely.


Friends in eve? Does not compute.
Jenn aSide
Worthless Carebears
Pandemic Horde
#114 - 2014-06-16 23:26:04 UTC
Kalon Horan wrote:
So... yesterday i went out in a fast locking cruiser with an alt flying with it with RSBĀ“s... i was looking for suicide gankers to kill, but sadly could not find any which is really sad. With all the whining going on about suicide ganking one might think it should be a lot easier fo find them, especially in 0.5 systems.

When i heared about aufay (i do not even sit in any channel that would have remotly anything to do with that area of space) I was really sad that they chose that area, because non of my chars that could pop a few -10 dessys can go to gallente space.

I think eve needs more suicide gankers so i can hunt more easy to kill dessys.

Anyone complaining about them and crying to ccp quite simply is just a lazy piece of ****. You have the tools to stop them. No1 stops you from camping the stations they use for hours and to stop them from suicide ganking, but you do not do it quite simply because you wanna make more ISK and rather come to the forums and cry about the situation.

If the people would stop to only care about ISK the life of suicide gankers or any -10 chars in high sec would be miserable. Crying about the situation only shows how ******* lazy you ppl are.



Kalon Horan for President of EVE. THAT is how an EVE player should be thinking.
loyalanon
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#115 - 2014-06-16 23:26:22 UTC  |  Edited by: loyalanon
Greetings esteemed community!

I have read through the pages and pages of, mostly tears however there are some good points that have been made.

However I would like for everyone to keep an open mind in regards to what I am about to say in my (entitled) wall of text.

First and foremost, Who said anything about anywhere being safe in eve?

Second, If you are autopiloting and not at the keyboard, what makes you think you are safe?
(Hint: Autopilot is not a button for safe mode)

Third - Why should the entire game be changed because you were AFK and/or decided to autopilot through known Code./gankers ganking hotspots?

Fourth - I keep hearing that subscriptions are going down due to Suicide ganking, can someone provide proof of this? if not stfu about it.

Fifth - CCP gave changes to Freighters so that people can fit tanks etc, If you still choose to autopilot with no cargo and expanded cargoholds, that just goes to show how much you pay attention to anything. The Reenforced bulkhead mods are less then a mil each. x3 would definitly help you keep your beloved ships.

Check our killboard, 90% of freighters still refuse to fit tanks. I know I would want to protect my investment why don't you?

Sixth - Carebears think that if they cry enough that CCP will eliminate a certain game play style in eve just because you don't agree with it, there are 20 other people who agree with it. Freighters were given the ability to "protect" themselves, if you choose not to, that's your problem not ours.

If you love your freighter so much, take steps to avoid losing it. Instead of whining on the forums about how unfair it is when you lost it because you autopiloted and went away from your desk due to whatever reason.

Can the Titan Pilot who decided to go afk and was bumped out of the POS by a random alliance member cry that it was unfair its game mechanics, working as intended.

Carebears - This is a mulitplayer game, and as such we will play the game with you whether you like it or not. If you want to play singleplayer game go to the Steam website, create an account and click on - Singleplayer. Buy a game, enjoy.

Seven - Whats stopping you from moving to null sec or low sec if you don't like high sec?

All arguments aside, cant we all just get back to shooting spaceships in a shooting spaceships game?

If anything - Remove the Autopilot button, force people to play at there keyboards. Problem solved!

/thread
Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#116 - 2014-06-16 23:30:59 UTC
I really doubt many people "quit" over getting suicide ganked, TBH. Such comments are just a thinly veiled attempt to be "spiteful".

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Serene Repose
#117 - 2014-06-16 23:40:22 UTC
Xuixien wrote:
I really doubt many people "quit" over getting suicide ganked, TBH. Such comments are just a thinly veiled attempt to be "spiteful".
Oh. Xuixien. Don't you realize how facts can dampen a perfectly good tantrum???

I love how the CODE "declaration to end all declaratives" sort of slips in this is a game to shoot spaceships, so let's get back to shooting spaceships...as though all this MINING, and MANUFACTURING and MARKETING (he obviously has nothing invested in) are just minor appendages - useless window dressing.

THEREFORE, everyone doing these aren't REALLY playing EVE, right? Right. There you go. The piggy repaints the barn for us. Isn't that "CODE" for passive-aggressively claiming the game shouldn't be changed, except for the useless ... what was that term ... CAREBEAR part... uh huh.

He's bold. He's brash. He's full of it.

We must accommodate the idiocracy.

Jenn aSide
Worthless Carebears
Pandemic Horde
#118 - 2014-06-16 23:40:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Xuixien wrote:
I really doubt many people "quit" over getting suicide ganked, TBH. Such comments are just a thinly veiled attempt to be "spiteful".


Not just spiteful, they are bascially trying to "appeal to CCPs wallet" to get CCP to change something they dislike (well, dislike enough to post about but not enough to act on using already existing in-game tools and tactics).

The reason that kind of fallacious appeal always fails is because it doesn't take into account the opposite: creating a situation where the thing they don't like (in this case, ganking) would also cause the 'sub loss' they claim to fear. They don't actually care about CCPs wallet because if all the gankers quit they'd be happy, even though that would hurt CCP.

As a pvp player who likes to push pirate ships around high sec a lot, I'm a bored ganker target lol. The difference between me and the people whining in this thread is that I understand Im playing an 'adversarial' game and people are supposed to try to 'get' you, and half the game for me is continuing to save the screwall Damsel while the other half is denying the 'gankers' the 'Jenn aSide's Machariel' killmail they desire.
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#119 - 2014-06-16 23:45:19 UTC
loyalanon wrote:
Fifth - CCP gave changes to Freighters so that people can fit tanks etc, If you still choose to autopilot with no cargo and expanded cargoholds, that just goes to show how much you pay attention to anything. The Reenforced bulkhead mods are less then a mil each. x3 would definitly help you keep your beloved ships.

Check our killboard, 90% of freighters still refuse to fit tanks. I know I would want to protect my investment why don't you?
Looking at the kills didn't really fill me with faith in a tank alone saving anything. At least 2 freighters with low cargo values with 3 bulkheads died. Elsewhere I'm sure some triple cargo expanded freighter probably AP'd it's way uneventfully to it's destination.

The key seemed to be flying somewhere other than Aufay.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#120 - 2014-06-16 23:47:49 UTC
Serene Repose wrote:
Xuixien wrote:
I really doubt many people "quit" over getting suicide ganked, TBH. Such comments are just a thinly veiled attempt to be "spiteful".
Oh. Xuixien. Don't you realize how facts can dampen a perfectly good tantrum???

I love how the CODE "declaration to end all declaratives" sort of slips in this is a game to shoot spaceships, so let's get back to shooting spaceships...as though all this MINING, and MANUFACTURING and MARKETING (he obviously has nothing invested in) are just minor appendages - useless window dressing.

THEREFORE, everyone doing these aren't REALLY playing EVE, right? Right. There you go. The piggy repaints the barn for us. Isn't that "CODE" for passive-aggressively claiming the game shouldn't be changed, except for the useless ... what was that term ... CAREBEAR part... uh huh.

He's bold. He's brash. He's full of it.
Those activities are useful to fit spaceships, that then need to blow up or else those busy people would be out of business.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!