These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Reprocess all the things!

First post First post First post
Author
Harah Noud
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#1521 - 2014-03-25 00:23:59 UTC
Inspiration wrote:
Harah Noud wrote:
lol, stop with the motive and conspiracy. i m stating what i support up front!!
all what i am saying is an untrained unskilled char shouldn't be able to outperform a skilled char.

now u ignored all what i said about CCP's philosophy for this change. i think this is the key issue here. not what you think, or what you think my true motives are :D

what about the unskilled VS skilled? u didnt specify what was the career the first is better at?

u keep bring corp into this
fine
what about a corp that want to be better at refining what can it do? recruit skilled char? encourage its pilot to skill up? what?
they can just get a POS and that s it. no skill route to progress LIKE WHAT CCP SAID this whole change is about! a point that you keep ignoring!

u speak of safety and corp hard work up front? what hard work ? a POS takes like 30 min to set up? skilling a char takes months . a corp encouraging ppl to skill, and giving them the resources take months

let me recapp:
u just want an easy solution to refining for char and for corps. rendering all skills irrelevant WHICH GOES aginst what CCP said this whole damn change is about!!!

An unskilled character cannot outperform a skilled one doing the same thing, i already wrote that. The skilled char has more options and is more flexible. You just cherry picked one unlikely and extreme and unequal situation and start drawing far stretching conclusions from that.

A corp requires quite some skill, time and investment in order to be able to anchor a POS in high sec. You talk as if its essentially, the act of buying and anchoring one. If you base your balancing on this, you would be wrong again.

Refining skills are irrelevant in just one situation, a situation that has to be created and cost a lot of effort to achieve. More so then getting personal standing with a corporation and training some skills. Corp standing with a faction is hard to get and keep and takes time.

Refining skills are RELEVANT only in one situation: null sec, everywhere else u r better off refining at a POS.

regarding POS anchor it takes minimal skills, efforts and iskies. U buy ur self a corp with high standing (last time I did it it was 150 mil) slap an alt or two in there, teach them anchoring III and add the corp to ur alliance!!

Voila it s done all ur alliance and corps can now use a 75.1% refining array with no hassle!
No trouble with standings or missioning

Total cost 150+ 100 or so for a small pos with its array, a medium or large would cost u more
With 250-300 mil u r set

It s cheaper than getting a 4% implant :o

Btw: I m no coder but instead of the POS checking ur skills exactly, it could do a yes/no check if u r maxed on refining skills . If so the array gives u a plus 5 or 10% refining yield.
Or maybe make two different refine lines in the array (similar to the assembly array) one can be used by all, the other can be used by max skilled char. And this kind of coding is already in the game for POS arrays (ship assembly and such)

Cheers
Albert Spear
Non scholae sed vitae
#1522 - 2014-03-25 01:38:44 UTC
WARNING: New Player impact discussion below.

I understand the reasons, for the changes, I agree with the changes and why they are needed.

I spent some time thinking this weekend about what options were open to new players when joining Eve, before they find major corps and other groups. I know that Eve's developers desire it to be a social game, but not all new players are ready to be social on day 1 and not all offered memberships in corporations are good deals for new players.

So we have high sec missioning, we have mining, we have ratting, and we have....? For a new player with almost no isk in their pockets.

For many high sec ratting may be enough to fatten the wallets and move on...but the changes to scrap metal processing will lower the value of most of the dropped items for noobs who need to sell them to make isk.

Then there are the ones who will load up a Venture and go mining...but the reduction in yield means they have to sell ore and not minerals

So that leaves missions in high sec for the new player to get established on. I hope that CCP is going to improve the variety and quality of the missions before this mining change happens.

Given that most new players can't earn enough in game for the first 2 to 3 months (not new toons, but actual live humans who are first time players). They pay CCP in real money (horrors!) and that real money is needed to pay the developers and other CCP staff, because many of us don't use real money, we earn our game time in the game.

I am worried that these changes will increase the rate at which people don't convert their trial accounts to paying accounts.

CCP - I hope your economists are looking at these changes from a noob POV and figuring out how to keep them playing and not so frustrated they quit before converting. Because in the long-term Eve can only get better if there is real money flowing into CCP 's bank account. I don't know of many developers who could take isk to their landlord and pay for their place to live.

END WARNING
Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#1523 - 2014-03-25 01:46:25 UTC
Albert Spear wrote:

Then there are the ones who will load up a Venture and go mining...but the reduction in yield means they have to sell ore and not minerals

And the problem with selling ore is...?

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#1524 - 2014-03-25 03:12:27 UTC
Albert Spear wrote:

Given that most new players can't earn enough in game for the first 2 to 3 months (not new toons, but actual live humans who are first time players). They pay CCP in real money (horrors!) and that real money is needed to pay the developers and other CCP staff, because many of us don't use real money, we earn our game time in the game.

You do know that PLEX are bought by someone with real money, don't you? And that not everyone plexes their accounts?

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1525 - 2014-03-25 03:56:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Querns wrote:
Albert Spear wrote:

I would imagine the loss in income potential for those mining would be the biggest problem.

Quote:
Steve Ronuken
You do know that PLEX are bought by someone with real money, don't you? And that not everyone plexes their accounts?

Aside from totally missing the point, if that is the best you can come up with as a CSM, PLEASE don't run again.
If trail accounts don't sub because the 1st month is horrible, that is money CCP has lost and regardless of whether 'you' and the next guy plex your accounts or pay with a credit card CCP has still lost that income.
For those starting a new account (1st time players) post summer patch, things will not be any different because they were not playing at the time 2 rookie income sources were nerfed. For those who are now playing it may have a big impact on whether they continue to play/pay for Eve.
With 2 rookie income sources nerfed the 1st few months will be even harder for new players. (not everyone has a credit card to throw at the "BuyPlexNow" window)

Not to mention the income loss for many mission runners, I have a toon who runs lvl 4 missions for LP (implants) but have always looted and salvaged those missions for the additional income. The changes to refining and scrap reprocessing have essentially nerfed my mission income. Take away the income I use to buy ships for pvp, you are essentially taking away my reason for playing eve.

And really - there is more to eve, than nulblob no risk (thank you srp) Pvp

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Laendra
Universalis Imperium
Goonswarm Federation
#1526 - 2014-03-25 03:59:32 UTC
CCP Ytterbium wrote:
Tarikla wrote:
Weaselior wrote:
You've made a mistake, here:

Quote:
As such, to keep ratio fairly identical, we are going to boost all minerals and ice products gained by reprocessing ores and ices approximately by 38.1% (1/0.724). This will apply to all the unrefined alchemy material as well.

Because alchemy uses scrapmetal which is getting nerfed, you need to boost it by its own percentage (instead of the ore percentage) to get it back to where it is now.

Upping this. CCP, you either need to consider alchemy an ore (heck, give it his own refining skill !) or boost MORE alchemy reaction for unrefined products.

Otherwise you are NERFING alchemy reaction straight away. Oh, and yes, you are upping alchemy in 0.0 sov too.

Indeed, point noted, we'll have a look into that one.

I'd recommend creating a new skill: Alchemical Processing, and set the current skill level for every character to the same level as their Scrapmetal skill.
Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#1527 - 2014-03-25 08:50:46 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

Not to mention the income loss for many mission runners, I have a toon who runs lvl 4 missions for LP (implants) but have always looted and salvaged those missions for the additional income. The changes to refining and scrap reprocessing have essentially nerfed my mission income. Take away the income I use to buy ships for pvp, you are essentially taking away my reason for playing eve.

They're not taking away your income earning potential though. Looting your missions instead of blitzing through them earns you less money even today. So if after the change you go do another mission, instead of wasting time looting and salvaging, your income level will increase. The only way for it to decrease with this change is for you to intentionally choose to continue run your missions inefficiently. You can do that if that's the way you like to play the game, but then you're doing it for enjoyment and not mainly as an income to fund other activities, so it shouldn't matter much anyway.

I'm not telling you to like the change, but in the overall scheme of gameplay effects created by this change your complaint carries little to no weight. No activity is taken away from you and just a slight alteration in the way you do the same activity will only increase your income.
Garadim
#1528 - 2014-03-25 09:13:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Garadim
Evil

I edited my post because of because. Was a waste of time trying to explain why i don't want this update to come live, it will anyway so.

It's still not good and a pure nerf once again of empire player's.
Sure thing is this will not force me in any way to move in low / null / wh.
Salvager Marshall
Pro Synergy
#1529 - 2014-03-25 09:14:33 UTC
Destination SkillQueue wrote:
Sgt Ocker wrote:

They're not taking away your income earning potential though. Looting your missions instead of blitzing through them earns you less money even today. So if after the change you go do another mission, instead of wasting time looting and salvaging, your income level will increase. The only way for it to decrease with this change is for you to intentionally choose to continue run your missions inefficiently. You can do that if that's the way you like to play the game, but then you're doing it for enjoyment and not mainly as an income to fund other activities, so it shouldn't matter much anyway.

I'm not telling you to like the change, but in the overall scheme of gameplay effects created by this change your complaint carries little to no weight. No activity is taken away from you and just a slight alteration in the way you do the same activity will only increase your income.

The majority of mission runners i know use Pro Synergy for this as they can blitz missions and we come along an clean it up and they get 45% of the value without having to do anything, however with this change the salvagers and in-turn mission runners will lose 30-40% profit from that and it will not be worth the time.
On a separate note i personally upgraded from a trial account to a full paid account because i found Pro Synergy a salvaging corp that i can make decent income as a low skill point character and i can help a veteran who is more interested in just shooting things faster, with the change we get put out of a profession and im basically back to square one not being able to make much income and the way it is currently looking quitting since i cant make enough isk to PLEX my account.
Inspiration
#1530 - 2014-03-25 09:16:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Inspiration
Malcolm Lionel wrote:
Inspiration wrote:
Harah Noud wrote:
lol, stop with the motive and conspiracy. i m stating what i support up front!!
all what i am saying is an untrained unskilled char shouldn't be able to outperform a skilled char.

now u ignored all what i said about CCP's philosophy for this change. i think this is the key issue here. not what you think, or what you think my true motives are :D

what about the unskilled VS skilled? u didnt specify what was the career the first is better at?

u keep bring corp into this
fine
what about a corp that want to be better at refining what can it do? recruit skilled char? encourage its pilot to skill up? what?
they can just get a POS and that s it. no skill route to progress LIKE WHAT CCP SAID this whole change is about! a point that you keep ignoring!

u speak of safety and corp hard work up front? what hard work ? a POS takes like 30 min to set up? skilling a char takes months . a corp encouraging ppl to skill, and giving them the resources take months

let me recapp:
u just want an easy solution to refining for char and for corps. rendering all skills irrelevant WHICH GOES aginst what CCP said this whole damn change is about!!!

An unskilled character cannot outperform a skilled one doing the same thing, i already wrote that. The skilled char has more options and is more flexible. You just cherry picked one unlikely and extreme and unequal situation and start drawing far stretching conclusions from that.

A corp requires quite some skill, time and investment in order to be able to anchor a POS in high sec. You talk as if its essentially, the act of buying and anchoring one. If you base your balancing on this, you would be wrong again.

Refining skills are irrelevant in just one situation, a situation that has to be created and cost a lot of effort to achieve. More so then getting personal standing with a corporation and training some skills. Corp standing with a faction is hard to get and keep and takes time.

You can buy a corp with standings for 100 million. Player skill should matter more than a post module.

Maybe a few....but EVE wide, you think there is enough supply at that cost? To create these corps someone somewhere has to build it up first. And here you are assuming again, that is free and looking at it form a single player perspective.

Also the corp faction standing averages towards its members. Meaning when your won alts need to be in that corp, they better have those faction standings up too. Making the whole, buy with standing argument limited to static posses. The ones you anchor right after purchase. One war and your screwed and have to start all over again!

You present it as an easy low cost, effortless deal, but it is not.

I am serious!

Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#1531 - 2014-03-25 09:21:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Rivr Luzade
Mission blitzing should be removed from the game.

It is understandable that an enemy fleet falls apart and can be considered beaten after the commander died, but that the commander is always the same ship, appears always at the same time and always does the same is way too static and way too exploitable with said blitzing. Same goes for missions with structures: if you only need to shoot one petty, weak structure in a mission, what's the point of it? If it's a POSish object or a station, it shouldn't be possible to alpha it of the field with a carrier and warp out again. That's way too easy. Missions need to be more dynamic and in general are in dire need of an replacement with a new, more modern system for PVE content generation.

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

John Ustinov Donne
#1532 - 2014-03-25 09:57:19 UTC
Querns wrote:
Albert Spear wrote:

Comrade, Rookies will be channelled into selling ore as their primary source of income, (being unable to compete with established citizens' increased profitability in their nascent steps into manufacturing and refining). The profitability of other high sec endeavours accessible to Rookies, such as exploration and PI, is a bourgeois lie.

Your suggestion that compression be available at stations addresses the issue of the average Rookie in an NPC corp having no access to a POS, but still, it will not prevent the killing off of Rookie cottage industries. Ultimately, station compression will be of most benefit and convenience to large established buyers and exporters of ore out of Highsec who are in a position to set prices. The costs of handling and processing ore by these established buyers are high - the opportunity cost of their time much greater than for a Rookie, so you will understand if I am suspicious that your call for station processing is more to do with your own profitability and less to do with alleviating the suffering of Rookies.

Already I see many highsec ores being bought at prices far below their refining value even allowing for the benefits to the seller of an in situ buy order (0 costs for transport, broker's fees, risk). At the moment, a Rookie may choose not to sell their ore to what they perceive as exploitative pricing and refine it themselves for sale or manufacturing. After the Summer, Rookies will be at the mercy of those with the greatest market power both in respect of selling their ore and buying minerals.

Rookies are at risk of becoming the indentured labourers of New Eden! We must resist the forces attempting to separate us further from the means of production!
Marcus Iunius Brutus
Hoborg Labs
#1533 - 2014-03-25 10:09:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Marcus Iunius Brutus
I'm happy with the changes. CCP +1
We need more changes to the industry.

Market will adapt, players will adapt.
Everything will be ok :-)

Rookies, miners and rookie miners will be ok too.
Sgt Ocker
What Corp is it
#1534 - 2014-03-25 12:06:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Sgt Ocker
Sgt Ocker wrote:

In the overall scheme of things this change will have a huge impact on the way I and many others play
I've always "enjoyed" the extra isk from looting and salvaging. It kept me in Pvp ships and helped sub a toon.
If everyone simply blitzed missions as you suggest - it would be very good for players like me, I could start charging a lot more for rigs and meta items. So these changes would have a positive effect.
I think simply the fact you can by rigs and most meta items fairly cheaply is a good indication as to why the change to loot reprocessing is not good. Would you be happy to pay more for every rig you fit to a ship? More for every meta module used?

Looting and salvaging takes such little extra time, once you have spent months training up to maximize income from it.

This change is very much like the introduction of the Burst function on RLML and RHML - screw the majority, a minority have shown they like it. Job Done.
Recent Quote in Fozzies words - "There are alternatives for those who don't like it."
Medium missile users get 3 mediocre weapon choices. All with niche uses. Nice choices.

Those who invested time and skills in Reprocessing, Salvaging and other skills to maximize income from those have been shafted with a loss in income with no alternative way to recoup that loss.

My opinions are mine.

If you don't like them or disagree with me that's OK.- - - - - - Just don't bother Hating - I don't care

It really is getting harder and harder to justify $23 a month for each sub.

Vhelnik Cojoin
Pandemic Horde High Sec Division
#1535 - 2014-03-25 13:28:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Vhelnik Cojoin
I'm a bit surprised by some of the comments in this thread relating to running missions.

The first one is the claim that mission running in HiSec can earn you around 100M ISK/hr. From my fairly exhaustive experience running mission, I would say this figure is hard to achieve in any kind of sustained fashion, and I would dearly like to know the details on how you do this.

The second claim I would like to question, is that blitzing is the most profitable method to maximize your earnings per hour.

To wit, I have tried to optimize my mission running pretty much as far as I am able. I use 3 different Marauders for various missions (Golem, Paladin and Vargur), blitz many missions in an Interceptor, or in one case a shield extended Stabber for Recon 3/3.

The issue I see is that no matter how I go about trying to increase my earnings, I tend to max. out at around 50M ISK/hr. We may quibble about the exact figure, and whether the time I spend on my trading alts should be considered. But it is nowhere the purported 100M ISK/hr some contributors to this thread claims is possible in HiSec.

The reason for this ceiling is quite simple: As you increase the fraction of the missions you blitz, the average agent payout in LP for those missions plummets in proportion. For instance at one of my mission hubs Recon 3/3 currently pays less than 1000 LP, and that is with Security Connections V. Similarly all versions of level 4 Cargo Delivery, easily blitzed in an Inty, gives a pitiful payout. This proportional decline in payout appear to be similar between mission hubs, and is exasperated by decline spam (which is possible when you have high faction standings).

From my observations your payout is maximized by killing *some* - yet certainly not a majority - of all missions, and blitzing the rest. For instance using a marauder I can nuke, loot and salvage Gone Beserk in a bit more than 10 minutes. It is IMO an economic mistake not to do so, given the (current) value of the loot, all bounties and the LP rewarded.

In one of my mission hubs I have a station container currently containing about 1.5 B ISK worth of 'junk' loot, collected over about 2 months worth of casual mission running. This figure is with the loot cherry picked for expensive meta 4 items, salvage and NPC tags. The 1.5B figure is then the rough 'melt' value, which is about to take a nosedive.

I also note in passing, that the mineral prices on TQ has been either flat or increased since the buffed marauders and the MTUs were released in the latest expansion. The one exception appear to be Morphite, which had decreased a bit in price over the last few moths, seemingly not correlated in time to the expansion. So at first glance it would appear that gun mining of NPCs currently isn't a major contributor to the amount of minerals entering the market on TQ. Either that, or most people running missions aren't using marauders and/or MTUs.

tl;dr: We may debate whether the refining changes are good or bad for EVE as a whole, but these proposed changes *will* be a nerf to my mission running payout, deliberate or otherwise. I will need to do some exhaustive statistics before I can make claims to exactly how much.

But if you aren't currently looting at least some missions, then you are doing it wrong IMHO. This is true even after the last few rounds of nerfs to the profitability of mission loot (reduced prices on salvage due to changes to exploration, removal of meta 0 items from the NPC loot tables).

Have you Communicated with your fellow capsuleers today? It is good for the EvE-oconomy and o-kay for you.

Querns
Caldari State
#1536 - 2014-03-25 14:28:25 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:
Querns wrote:
Albert Spear wrote:

I would imagine the loss in income potential for those mining would be the biggest problem.

What income loss? The miner sells their ore for 10-20% more than they'd get refining it with max skills. If they want, they can turn around and buy minerals with that money and do production, if they so desire.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Querns
Caldari State
#1537 - 2014-03-25 15:30:55 UTC
Some of the complaints being brought up in this thread arise from a dangerous degree of solipsism that seems to permeate the mind in the context of Eve. Self-sufficiency is a nice thing to strive for, but Eve is a multiplayer game. By breaking through your shell of isolation, you can realize greater profits by participating more closely with society.

If this sounds anathema to you, remember; all the things you are producing by yourself are worthless unless someone else pays for them. Ships, modules, ammo, LP, mission loot: all of it, without merit, until someone else agrees to purchase the yields of your usufruct.

Emuar
Vak'Atioth War Veterans
#1538 - 2014-03-25 15:35:31 UTC
Sgt Ocker wrote:

if everyone mission runner would be blitzing missions, that means lp price will go even more down. if you have a lot lp - that not the same as you have a lot of isk. you need convert lp to isk and compete with others who doing it. strange that some people don't understand simple things.

The mind is a constant. Unfortunately the number of people increases every year....

Soldarius
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#1539 - 2014-03-25 15:58:34 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
I think that compression has to be moved into station, and here is why: http://i.imgur.com/OzN40XM.png

Thank you for that. Very informative. It seems freighter pilots are going to be hauling a lot of ore and compressed ore around starting this summer.

So glad my alt is most of the way there now.

http://youtu.be/YVkUvmDQ3HY

Meytal
Doomheim
#1540 - 2014-03-25 18:49:19 UTC
Jagoff Haverford wrote:
the key thing is that refining in perfect safety within high sec stations will no longer be far better than refining in more dangerous places.

Indeed. It's amazing that refining in wormhole space, and POSes in general *, will finally be more efficient than Hisec and Lowsec stations. Being slightly biased in favour of W-space, just as CCP is biased in favour of Nullsec, I would have given the advantage to POSes which can be destroyed and where you can't dock up, but I can accept the decision made, on a temporary basis, considering the costs involved AND the fact that POS modules don't use skills yet.

* Considering that the (low quality) Refining Array can be anchored in Hisec, I'd go so far as to suggest that it be nerfed to be equal to Hisec stations, at the most. Let the Intensive Refining array, anchorable only in 0.4 and lower, have the premium rate.

When POS modules can use skills instead of the skill-less maximums, there's no way I would be content with them playing second fiddle to Outposts. The Outpost construction cost is one time, they can't be destroyed, you can dock up and be in perfect safety, and your presence is hidden from those who don't have rights to dock as well -- you could be AFK cloaking for all anyone knows. It's hisec, except you can be (legally) shot when you undock, and there's a possibility that the Outpost could change hands preventing you from docking; leave a clone and just contract your stuff via Black Frog, or manipulate the market from in-station.

Also, the refining rate on the (low quality) Refining Array can then be re-adjusted up to the numbers in the blog, once they take skills into account.

Jagoff Haverford wrote:
In keeping with the Rubicon theme, I think that the empires should also begin charging higher taxes in the high sec space that they control. Not only should the base tax rates go up, but the standing required to get optimal refining should be increased as well.

This absolutely. In Hisec, Lowsec, and NPC Null, you have all of the industry programs, medical services, social welfare, etc. that comes from a long-established government and society trying to meet the needs of its populace. Those extra services cost money.

In WH and Sov Null, you only have what you build or conquer.

Quote:
various meta1-4 whining

Now, or very soon after, would be the perfect time to change how Meta modules are obtained, particularly Deadspace and Officer mods.

Instead of getting an instant, free-to-use module by slaying the dragon, er, NPC, suppose you get a broken or wrecked item -- at the same drop rate that you get the meta items now. You can reprocess these items for some minerals -- perhaps more than you might get from the mods immediately after this change -- or you can try to reverse engineer them to create BPCs that you can then use to build whatever items. Deadspace and Officer mods should require some pretty exotic parts (WH salvage, anyone?) to build.

This would finally put the last hold-out of useable items into the hands of industrialists, and cause all modules used to be dictated by the mineral index, instead of by the bot-farming index.