These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Can we do something about the idiots in highsec already CCP?

First post First post
Author
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#181 - 2013-11-05 19:01:17 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
I started a new account the other day and autopiloted it to Jita to act as a market alt, 30 minutes old, it was podded before it got halfway there ffs.

So you got an express ticket to where you wanted to go anyway. Nothing to complain about. Whoever did it, could have charged you for the service Lol.

Thinking about it. Don't tell me you didn't set your clone to somewhere in Jita. Not you.

Remove standings and insurance.

Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#182 - 2013-11-05 19:01:21 UTC
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:
Skeln Thargensen wrote:
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:
Does going -10 cause problems? I would say yes. Does it mean you can't gank when -10? No, it just makes it a hell of a lot harder...


not really, they use alts to set up the kill and then warp to them. if they use instawarp bookmarks on undock and warp to 0 on gates they're not going to get popped.

Yes, setting up alts in position, making instwarp undocks and correctly executing the gank b4 FP pops you don't make it harder or more work AT ALL!!!

Oh wait....


quite obviously the alt does all that and the -10 alts just need to move at best speed.

forums.  serious business.

Jarod Garamonde
Sons of Seyllin
Pirate Lords of War
#183 - 2013-11-05 19:01:39 UTC
Jythier Smith wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
GreasyCarl Semah wrote:
Baaldor wrote:
Yes, from the release of EvE, to allow the ganking of others has be detrimental to the player base. :condi:


The size of the player base is comical.

Don't get me wrong, I like the game as it is. It is very entertaining to a narrow audience.


EVE is the only MMO to do nothing but grow for a decade.


Isn't that because there's no policy against alts?

EVE - The Game One Guy Plays



The blessings of Chribba be upon you. We are all one with Chribba, and Chribba is one with us all.
Walk in the light, fellow "alt" of His Enlightenedness.

That moment when you realize the crazy lady with all the cats was right...

    [#savethelance]
Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#184 - 2013-11-05 19:03:04 UTC
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:

Does going -10 cause problems? I would say yes. Does it mean you can't gank when -10? No, it just makes it a hell of a lot harder...


How much harder?

Getting into high sec requires jumping through a gate in a pod. (not so hard to do)
Ganking requires getting into a ship, warping to fleet and shooting.( I'd like to think that's not a problem or difficult)

No: Being negative ten is no barrier whatsoever for anything short of running missions. But -10's don't come into high sec to run missions, do they?

Mr Epeen Cool

Ghost Phius
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#185 - 2013-11-05 19:05:46 UTC
Jythier Smith wrote:
I love the way you say he doesn't understand and then fail to provide an alternate explanation.



Reading the first few lines of what he wrote showed he has a serious misunderstanding of EVE. Frankly I have zero obligation to hand hold him through the process of understanding why since he is already firm in his misguided beliefs.

Anyway more cannon fodder for my lazors lol.
Galen Darksmith
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#186 - 2013-11-05 19:16:25 UTC
Jythier Smith wrote:
I think it's sad that a number of people just want to make other people cry.


I think it's sadder that people cry over a video game.

"EVE is a dark and harsh world, you're supposed to feel a bit worried and slightly angry when you log in, you're not supposed to feel like you're logging in to a happy, happy, fluffy, fluffy lala land filled with fun and adventures, that's what hello kitty online is for." -CCP Wrangler

Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#187 - 2013-11-05 19:16:39 UTC
Skeln Thargensen wrote:


quite obviously the alt does all that and the -10 alts just need to move at best speed.


Yes, and the fact that anyone can attack you as soon as you land on grid doesn't make it any harder too right? Especially not on busy gates or in the middle of huge mining fleets.

Landing on top of something that is moving at (several) 100 m/s is a problem too. Ofcourse you can try to compensate for that by positioning your alt ahead of the target but I would certainly call that 'making it harder'. It's not just harder cuz of the effort you have to put in, it's also harder cuz of the very tiny margin of error. You have to do all these things right or you fail the gank and manage to redock without losing your ship and pod at best, at worst you fail the gank and lose your ship and pod.

Jythier Smith
BGG Wolves
#188 - 2013-11-05 19:19:24 UTC
Galen Darksmith wrote:
Jythier Smith wrote:
I think it's sad that a number of people just want to make other people cry.


I think it's sadder that people cry over a video game.


That is pretty sad, but I don't know anybody who actually cries over a video game. So you get pixel tears?
Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#189 - 2013-11-05 19:21:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Meilandra Vanderganken
Mr Epeen wrote:
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:

Does going -10 cause problems? I would say yes. Does it mean you can't gank when -10? No, it just makes it a hell of a lot harder...


How much harder?

Getting into high sec requires jumping through a gate in a pod. (not so hard to do)
Ganking requires getting into a ship, warping to fleet and shooting.( I'd like to think that's not a problem or difficult)

No: Being negative ten is no barrier whatsoever for anything short of running missions. But -10's don't come into high sec to run missions, do they?

I'm pretty sure you could even run missions, you just have to make a bunch of bookmarks that keeps you bouncing between the mission grid and your bookmarks every 30 seconds or something. Clearly, this is completely safe and does not make things harder! Lol

/carebear logic
La Nariz
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#190 - 2013-11-05 19:24:15 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:
Its getting old. Every second or third jump there are idiot alts in destroyers ganking people. My computer almost died yesterday loading hundreds of concord ships at a high sec gate. Spending weeks in null dodging Goons and then come back to supposedly safe space and its more of the same crap.

You guys changed siphons because they were too cheap and griefer like for the big alliances after their big whine fest. Man up and do something about the state of high sec and their alt gankers.

No I haven't been ganked but its annoying to have to make every single high sec jump and not be able to afk at all in "safe space" even in a crappy non faction fitted frigate and its annoying to see people killing other people in high sec with no risk in cheap lame ass destroyers - make them work for it, this is EvE Online, its not Counterstrike.

Killing other players should require skill, it should require brains, it should require risk and it should require a war dec or going to low sec or null sec.

At the moment all it requires is a cheap destroyer and a low skilled alt account.

This is not the game that you guys designed, I have been here since the beginning and when things did get to the point that this sort of rubbish was happening, you adjusted Concord or you adjusted DPS or EHP.

Time to fix your game in this respect, its crap and broken.


If killing other players in highsec doesn't require skill, brains, and risk then why aren't more people doing it? We do work pretty damn hard to make sure things die in highsec, usually it means ensuring 10+ people do something correctly. That's not easy at all especially consider we are terrible at EVE. We lose sec status, our ship, our ability to fly safely in highsec, and risk our implants to do this. Lets not forget that suicide ganking is the most nerfed activity/profession in the entirety of EVE and that the people who make the game are for some reason forbidden from doing it.

This post was loving crafted by a member of the Official GoonWaffe recruitment team. Improve the forums, support this idea: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=345133

Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#191 - 2013-11-05 19:37:04 UTC
Hey look, I went to sleep, and when I woke up we're on page 10... Johnny please send me an evemail to remind me to +1 everyone who added value here when I have the time. I see lots of tears and laughter.

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#192 - 2013-11-05 19:37:37 UTC
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:
Skeln Thargensen wrote:


quite obviously the alt does all that and the -10 alts just need to move at best speed.


Yes, and the fact that anyone can attack you as soon as you land on grid doesn't make it any harder too right? Especially not on busy gates or in the middle of huge mining fleets.

Landing on top of something that is moving at (several) 100 m/s is a problem too. Ofcourse you can try to compensate for that by positioning your alt ahead of the target but I would certainly call that 'making it harder'. It's not just harder cuz of the effort you have to put in, it's also harder cuz of the very tiny margin of error. You have to do all these things right or you fail the gank and manage to redock without losing your ship and pod at best, at worst you fail the gank and lose your ship and pod.



why would you lose your pod in highsec?

you might leave red faced and LOLled at in local but since you intended to lose the entirely disposable spaceship anyway it's no big deal. there's no margin of error involving travel anywhere outside of high sec and getting a 'solution' for landing on your own alt within optimal of a noncombat vessel is pretty trivial, sorry.

forums.  serious business.

Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#193 - 2013-11-05 19:52:37 UTC
Skeln Thargensen wrote:
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:
Skeln Thargensen wrote:


quite obviously the alt does all that and the -10 alts just need to move at best speed.


Yes, and the fact that anyone can attack you as soon as you land on grid doesn't make it any harder too right? Especially not on busy gates or in the middle of huge mining fleets.

Landing on top of something that is moving at (several) 100 m/s is a problem too. Ofcourse you can try to compensate for that by positioning your alt ahead of the target but I would certainly call that 'making it harder'. It's not just harder cuz of the effort you have to put in, it's also harder cuz of the very tiny margin of error. You have to do all these things right or you fail the gank and manage to redock without losing your ship and pod at best, at worst you fail the gank and lose your ship and pod.



why would you lose your pod in highsec?

you might leave red faced and LOLled at in local but since you intended to lose the entirely disposable spaceship anyway it's no big deal. there's no margin of error involving travel anywhere outside of high sec and getting a 'solution' for landing on your own alt within optimal of a noncombat vessel is pretty trivial, sorry.


Lag, dc, misclicks. The fact simply is that being to be shot at by anyone ALL the time simply makes things harder, as does being chased down by FP.

You have to be fast and accurate with a -10. Failing to do so will fail you ganks you would not fail when at higher sec status.


Renegade Heart
Doomheim
#194 - 2013-11-05 19:58:54 UTC
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:
Landing on top of something that is moving at (several) 100 m/s is a problem too.


In my limited experience of ganking, it's rare that miners figure out to orbit a can to prevent being bumped away while AFK. In fact, one dude I ganked, I bumped for few minutes trying to get a reaction. And then I stopped to see if he was alert. Ship speed went back down to 0 m/s.

At this point it was clear he was AFK so I felt justified in teaching him a lesson P
Meilandra Vanderganken
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#195 - 2013-11-05 20:06:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Meilandra Vanderganken
Renegade Heart wrote:
Meilandra Vanderganken wrote:
Landing on top of something that is moving at (several) 100 m/s is a problem too.


In my limited experience of ganking, it's rare that miners figure out to orbit a can to prevent being bumped away while AFK. In fact, one dude I ganked, I bumped for few minutes trying to get a reaction. And then I stopped to see if he was alert. Ship speed went back down to 0 m/s.

At this point it was clear he was AFK so I felt justified in teaching him a lesson P

Most are completely ignorant when it comes to orbiting indeed. But autopiloting travelers also move. A shuttle moves at 500/600 ms a second, that's harder to compensate for, it takes long to lock. I'd be much more comfortable doing it in a higher sec stat char that is already at the gate and can linger around waiting for the perfect target than warping in a -10 while multiboxing.
Jenn aSide
Worthless Carebears
Pandemic Horde
#196 - 2013-11-05 20:08:12 UTC
Waldorf T Beagle wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
GreasyCarl Semah wrote:
While ganking is pretty damn fun, I honestly believe it hurts the long term prospects of the game. I have seen so many newbs rage quit. I had one guy who joined a mining corp I had, he had four accounts, got one of his retrievers ganked once and he never really logged in again. Hell I was mad because I was grooming the guy and showing him the ropes. lol He didn't even hang around to talk about how to tank his ship.


Yet EVE has done nothing but grow. If ganking was going to kill EVE it would have done so in 2003.


The player base has not grown since 2009: http://eve-offline.net/?server=tranquility

As noob who signed up to take a look while I wait for elite dangerous, my 2p is that the OP is correct about game mechanics. It is too heavily weighted towards destruction. It takes months of skill training and investment to do anything constructive but a brand new alt can destroy things instantly with no downside.

Also I realise that nullsec is CCP's reward to long term players, but for new players it's basically pointless. There is zero chance of dislodging the people already there and the only way to survive in it is to join a corp, but frankly I can be ordered about by some jerk in real life, I don't need it in a game too.

I can't say I've had any trouble in hisec but a basic fix for over-ganking might be to put a kill timer on after you're killed by concord so that you (and your alts) couldn't play for, say, 15 minutes.

IMO a better long term fix would be to ban alts altogether. Then there would be an incentive for self preservation (ie the reason you don't go round shooting people in real life is because you only get one life). Unfortunately selling extra chars seems to be a main part of CCP's business model now so I doubt that's ever going happen.



Translation, "I shouldn't be playing EVE in the 1st place, but since I am let me tell you what's wrong with it".

The real point of this thread if that many high sec people (ie the video game players who can't play a video game abuot space ships and guns with being in space protected by game mechanics ie CONCORD) can't deal with the harsh reality of the game.

Been playing since 2007, not been ganked ONCE. Did lose a jump frieghter from flying drunk during a war dec, and have survived 2 gank attempts because unlike these useless high sec slugs I actually tanked the hauler carrying an officer mod or other valuable loot. But never once ganked.

If you get ganked in EVE online when it's so easily avoidable (if your not somone who feels entitled to move trillions of isk in unarmed ships, fly blinged out mssion boats are go for "max yield" on mining ship), it's no one's fault but your own.
Ryhss
#197 - 2013-11-05 20:26:06 UTC
To Be Me wrote:
Yes you said it right, this is eve online.. Now dont expect it to be rainbow pokemon 2.


And its in the deep roots of eve to fear when you click "connect". You arent supposed to think this is a normal fair game, it is not.


You see ccp permabanned 4 of my accounts for some stupid thing and i didnt cry.

Now go shed your tears away on your moms shoulders


ps: you should also need skills and brains to fit a proper tank in your badger. Same rules applied.

Um, learn to read for fraks sake. He said(multiple times), that he wasn't ganked. I agree with him, most current gankers have no skill. They pic on defenseless(drones don't count) ships. No pvp skills at ll in these type of kills.

I just turned into an egg, did I level up? I spent an hour trying to salvage a wreck, when in local a guy said "Stop it, this is my Tempest, I was AFK"

Jythier Smith
BGG Wolves
#198 - 2013-11-05 20:27:11 UTC
I got ganked AFK mining.

I no long AFK mine.

Lesson learned.
Carmen Electra
AlcoDOTTE
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#199 - 2013-11-05 20:32:19 UTC
What on earth are you on about? No one's going to gank your frigate or shuttle unless you're carrying something worth stealing.
Skeln Thargensen
Doomheim
#200 - 2013-11-05 20:38:18 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:
What on earth are you on about? No one's going to gank your frigate or shuttle unless you're carrying something worth stealing.


oh it happens. i can't post the KM because of 'rules.'

you can eve-kill me and find it though. most pitiful bounty payout ever lol.

forums.  serious business.