These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Legit Question: Why do you post with an alt?

First post First post
Author
Name Family Name
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#121 - 2012-11-02 02:34:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Name Family Name
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:


Just curious to see why there are people out there who post on here with a forum alt, as I genuinely don't know why you would want to hide who you are.

Does your alliance or corp not let you post on these forums? If so why are you with them?

Is it because you fear retribution (lol) for your opinions? Why do you think everyone dislikes your opinions?

Is it because you're a massive troll? If so, why are you Snot Shot/a GRRRR Goon?

This is a legit question, and definitely not a troll post or a rant.



None of the above.

I don't have a "main", and consider the "PAOST WITH UR MAIN" crowd as either being genuine idiots who are attached to one of their characters in some weirdo-pervert roleplaying manner or alts trying to lure drunk idiots into posting with their "mains" and getting free intel.

Any character is a tool just like any ship is.
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#122 - 2012-11-02 04:59:23 UTC
alt.sex was always more interesting that main.sex.

Just sayin'

Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#123 - 2012-11-02 05:25:04 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:

Huh. I learned something new today. I hereby endeavor to be more argumentative so more people shoot me.
No, really, I didn't think retaliation like that was a thing. Fascinating.

I had Goons accuse me of being an NPC alt recently. "Can't wait for bounty system because we can't war dec you" they said.

So I started a corp specifically to be dec''d, even used a chest poking name.

Nothing yet Twisted

I HATE GOONS, I HATE GOONS. I HATE GOONS

I'll see if that helps... Muhhahahahahaha

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Webvan
All Kill No Skill
#124 - 2012-11-02 05:31:40 UTC
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:
Just curious to see why there are people out there who post on here with a forum alt, as I genuinely don't know why you would want to hide who you are.
Wow, that could lead to a serious identity crisis, ya think?
Step AWAY from the computer... P

No, this ain't "me" either Blink
...though I do put SP into this char.

I'm in it for the money

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12

galenwade
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#125 - 2012-11-02 05:36:18 UTC
Apparently everyone in RvB is a rifter alt ,

So that makes me an alt and i don't even know who my main is Sad





usrevenge
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#126 - 2012-11-02 05:53:08 UTC
Anslo wrote:
I don't.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#127 - 2012-11-02 06:28:13 UTC
usrevenge wrote:
Anslo wrote:
I don't.


That's the odd thing. I don't even pvp on this, I rat with this character somehow and only login on an alt to sit around waiting for silly people to wander in front of me...

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Kult Altol
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#128 - 2012-11-02 06:29:35 UTC
I'm a carebear miner that mines in high sec all the time near populated systems.

I post with my main and im not scared.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

General Nusense
Doomheim
#129 - 2012-11-02 06:37:20 UTC
because it pisses off goonwaffe pubbies, cfc and hbc.

Made a signature so I am taken seriously on the forums, since thats the only thing they are good for.

Marcus McTavish
Volcel Police
#130 - 2012-11-05 00:07:35 UTC
People post with alts, primarily because, in most cases, there is no traces back to much of anything.

It is completely anonymous. You could post with some random alt and claim to have done or do anything you want. People ask that you post with your main to eliminate that.

People also use this tactic even on their main. If you get into a heated "discussion" with some random dude, chances are he will say something along the lines of "I would totally kill you with my main" or something like that. If you ask for the name of that char, they will often say that it is secret or you can't know. All the while they will continue to boast about their "main" or "other chars" and how much better than you they are.

Honestly, I can only see about 3 reasons why you wouldn't be able to post with your main, or say his/her name.
1: You are in the process, or planning to, betray your current group. You would post or report information about the group using an alt to protect your identity.
--Hard to prove or believe. Typically abused and false.

2: It is a trade alt or contractor. Protecting the trade alt from any things that are associated with other chars of yours. I use this, only in the hopes that I get to the point of really needing it.
--Fairly believable. But falseness is easily shown by lack of logs in prolonged "debate"

3: It is a Super Cap Char or some other big thing, like an Alt's POS chain. Supercap pilots are not hard to figure out with a tad bit of searching. POS chains and other activities that rely on people either not seeing or not caring about.

If you get some random highsec dudes mad at you, they will often complain about how terrible you are, while boasting about themselves through the guise of a pretend-time-main.
Natasha Liao
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#131 - 2012-11-05 00:28:38 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Name recognition and its benefits. For example, if I comment on balance in frigate PvP as myself, I have the fact I'm the CEO of a successful frigate PvP corp, plus my killboard (as it may be) backing my arguments up. If I made the same argument using an alt, my credibility would be greatly decreased because of "who the heck is this guy and what qualifies him to whine about the state of the Rifter?"
And for you Petrus it isn't a detriment. Rifterlings is a PvP oriented Corp, so loosing a ship isn't the end of the world for you. For somebody more adverse to that kind of loss it's a measure of security.
Marcus McTavish wrote:
If you get some random highsec dudes mad at you, they will often complain about how terrible you are, while boasting about themselves through the guise of a pretend-time-main.
I usually just brag about how bad I am right from the get-go. Saves them some effort if I claim that I'm a Scrub and be done with it. I can even provide a Kill Board link if needed.

You're using logic on an internet discussion forum. A rookie mistake, but one you'll soon learn to avoid. -Destiny Corrupted

Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#132 - 2012-11-05 01:26:52 UTC
Because I'm not available in my forum profile? Lol
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#133 - 2012-11-05 02:59:40 UTC
General Nusense wrote:
because it pisses off goonwaffe pubbies, cfc and hbc.



Hate to be pedantic but most of Goonwaffe aren't pubbies by definition.


If there was an option to post anonymously on the forums by click a button, so it literally comes up as "anonymous", how many people would be tempted to use it?

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Corina Jarr
en Welle Shipping Inc.
#134 - 2012-11-05 03:15:10 UTC
I don't post with an alt, however it makes sense for a few reasons.

1) trolling

2) making arguments that may not go over so well with your main's corp/alliance

3) too lazy to switch the posting character

4) hide their main from potential enemies, especially in the C&P section when hiring mercs... at least that used to happen


Me, I don't care too much about all that.
Frostys Virpio
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#135 - 2012-11-05 03:19:10 UTC
Why would I even go through the trouble of creating an alt?
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#136 - 2012-11-05 03:22:40 UTC
Corina Jarr wrote:
I don't post with an alt, however it makes sense for a few reasons.

1) trolling

2) making arguments that may not go over so well with your main's corp/alliance

3) too lazy to switch the posting character

4) hide their main from potential enemies, especially in the C&P section when hiring mercs... at least that used to happen


Me, I don't care too much about all that.


4 is a good answer, also for character bazaar purchases. Otherwise, any hiring or provision of certain services may well be done with an Alt for obvious reasons.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#137 - 2012-11-05 03:24:17 UTC
If you say you do not post on an alt it isn't true in a sense. Unless this is your real life picture and your real life name.

Luc Chastot
#138 - 2012-11-05 03:59:00 UTC
I don't.

Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#139 - 2012-11-05 04:07:49 UTC
Luc Chastot wrote:
I don't.


Than might I suggest getting some sun.
Holy One
Privat Party
#140 - 2012-11-05 04:34:19 UTC
This is an alt. My main is actually Grogoth Drem.

:)