These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Legit Question: Why do you post with an alt?

First post First post
Author
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#61 - 2012-11-01 16:36:19 UTC
I post on whichever character I spend the most time ingame with, currently it's this one, next month it may be my original character or my trade alt.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#62 - 2012-11-01 16:39:31 UTC
ITT people say they don't post with their alt.

This is my main, but several people in this thread are my alts. Seriously, like roughly 23 people. I just typed that I'm actually posting with my main to fool y'all.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#63 - 2012-11-01 16:40:06 UTC
Doc Enigma wrote:
Because I dont want my corp or alliance to get wardecd if my post may offend. There are vengeful players who think that all opinions that are different that their own are wrong and those people should be punished.

Pro tip: This doesn't actually happen.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Kari Juptris
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#64 - 2012-11-01 16:52:33 UTC
I think a lot of people are afraid of the consequences of posting the ******** they do on the forums, so they post it on NPC corp alts. They're too afraid to stand up and openly declare "this is who I am, and this is what I believe."
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#65 - 2012-11-01 16:56:38 UTC
Kari Juptris wrote:
I think a lot of people are afraid of the consequences of posting the ******** they do on the forums, so they post it on NPC corp alts. They're too afraid to stand up and openly declare "this is who I am, and this is what I believe."

Well, see, the ones who do post with their mains are Mittani alts, so they don't fear wardec retaliation because it would be silly for Mittani to wardec his own alt.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#66 - 2012-11-01 17:03:34 UTC
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:


Just curious to see why there are people out there who post on here with a forum alt, as I genuinely don't know why you would want to hide who you are.

Does your alliance or corp not let you post on these forums? If so why are you with them?

Is it because you fear retribution (lol) for your opinions? Why do you think everyone dislikes your opinions?

Is it because you're a massive troll? If so, why are you Snot Shot/a GRRRR Goon?

This is a legit question, and definitely not a troll post or a rant.



Ask your fearless Queen, he seems to have quite a few.....Shocked


Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#67 - 2012-11-01 17:05:10 UTC
Beekeeper Bob wrote:



Ask your fearless Queen, he seems to have quite a few.....Shocked





Queen Elizabeth II plays EVE Online: A Terrible Game?!?!?

Awesome!

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#68 - 2012-11-01 17:07:59 UTC
Natasha Liao wrote:


As for 'worth' of an Alts opinion: as I've said - an opinion/idea doesn't become any more or less relevant/interesting based on some arbitrary number of SP's, a born on date, or any corp membership. You might be surprised what this 10/8/2012 'Alt' could tell you about scanning for instance or living in a WH. Some of us just come here for to exchange ideas, info or a laugh or three. My impression of a few groups/individuals has changed over the years because of it ( both positive and negative ). It's also good to see things from somebody else's perspective on a nerf/buff/etc and see why it might be a good, bad or who cares idea. One persons 'Small Nerf' can actually be a 'Kinda Big Thing' to others.



Oh I agree that you shouldn't dismiss opinions due to age, SP or anything else. If I ever do it purely on that basis please feel free to call me out on it. I'd like to think I listen to peoples opinions and views and then respond based on what they've said, not the mouth it's come out of.

However, sometimes if I see someone posting something with an alt, you have to wonder why? I mean do they actually believe what they are saying? Doesn't mean I wouldn't agree with it, but it's like every alt saying "I'm a director of Goonswarm and and elite pvp god" (if goons have such a thing). If you posted on your main who was a goon pvp god doesn't mean i'd instantly believe what you say, but I think it does reassure people you have experience if that's your argument as to why people should listen to you.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#69 - 2012-11-01 17:10:31 UTC
I do 95% of my posting on this guy, and the other 5% is for legitimate business deals where I don't feel like hearing someone drone on and on about how I'm a goon and I'm going to scam them.
Gogela
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#70 - 2012-11-01 17:10:50 UTC
Alt posting requires two mental conditions: cowardice, and stupidity. People use alts because they want to feel like they are part of the conversation even when they have nothing to say, but they don't want anyone to know that they are stupid. It makes their corp look bad. Better to say nothing and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt... that kind of thing.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#71 - 2012-11-01 17:16:47 UTC
For years on the original forums i posted on alts i did a small degree of RPing with, then i just decided to start using this guy one day and give a big "come at me bro" to all the EVE forum bullies.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Myfanwy Heimdal
Heimdal Freight and Manufacture Inc
#72 - 2012-11-01 17:17:25 UTC
I don't have alts, but what I do have are three independent and equally important characters on this account.

Pam:  I wonder what my name means in Welsh?Nessa: Why?

Ditra Vorthran
Caldari Imports and Exports
#73 - 2012-11-01 17:36:34 UTC
Do.

If people are going to use the metagame to mess with me, I'll use it to protect myself.

"Miners mine so I don't have to." ~Metal Icarus

Jimmy 426
Doomheim
#74 - 2012-11-01 18:19:21 UTC
I only post on alts for the meta-game...
ISD TYPE40
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#75 - 2012-11-01 18:22:41 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Doc Enigma wrote:
Because I dont want my corp or alliance to get wardecd if my post may offend. There are vengeful players who think that all opinions that are different that their own are wrong and those people should be punished.

Pro tip: This doesn't actually happen.



I beg to differ. I have experienced this personally. And where there is one case, there are bound to be others. That is one of the wonderful things about EVE, everything has a consequence eventually Twisted

[b]ISD Type40 Lt. Commander Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Oaiso
#76 - 2012-11-01 18:25:54 UTC
I not only post on an alt but I periodically replace them so that I will be 10x more untraceable 10x more like ninja.
Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#77 - 2012-11-01 18:28:09 UTC
Oaiso wrote:
I not only post on an alt but I periodically replace them so that I will be 10x more untraceable 10x more like ninja.



Are you not worried that your opinions will be dismissed out of hand because no-one will know/believe what experience you have of EVE and that your opinions are based on experience and totally not made up?

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Oaiso
#78 - 2012-11-01 18:34:07 UTC
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:
Oaiso wrote:
I not only post on an alt but I periodically replace them so that I will be 10x more untraceable 10x more like ninja.



Are you not worried that your opinions will be dismissed out of hand because no-one will know/believe what experience you have of EVE and that your opinions are based on experience and totally not made up?


No I hope that what I say (when I even care) stands up on it's own and isn't dependent on an old character.

I also don't like the idea of 'reputation farming' I guess you could call it. So even though I've probably made tens of thousands of posts I periodically wipe the slate clean.
Natasha Liao
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#79 - 2012-11-01 18:42:57 UTC
Gogela wrote:
Alt posting requires two mental conditions: cowardice, and stupidity.*snip*

I think your 'stupidity' assessment has already been cover. As for the 'cowardice' comment: why don't you try substituting another word in there. It's 'privacy'. Argue all you want about public internet, public comments or what-not. Reading something I post on a forum doesn't entitle you to any of the following: my real name, my address, my phone number, my SSN number, my birthdate, my bank account, it's balance, my credit card number, my mothers maiden name or any form of bodily fluid or tissue samples.

It also doesn't entitle you to the names or locations of any other characters I may have on my account(s). This is Eve. I don't know you and I've learned not to trust you. Ever. And my definition of privacy draws the line at this character. How much I let you into my 'life' ( in game and out ) stops right here...

You're using logic on an internet discussion forum. A rookie mistake, but one you'll soon learn to avoid. -Destiny Corrupted

Hypercake Mix
#80 - 2012-11-01 18:48:22 UTC
This thread happened before.

Because I like this character's name way more.