These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Legit Question: Why do you post with an alt?

First post First post
Author
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#81 - 2012-11-01 18:50:00 UTC
I post with an alt, possibly.

Even if Lors is my oldest toon.

I decided to use one character on one account as my 'nick' on forums and on other social media stuff.

Mainly because I'm to old to keep track of the others.

But I've never tried to hide that I've got other toons that are more active in EvE.

It's just simpler to use one nick.

And Lors is the one who's most me, even if he looks far too young.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

HollyShocker 2inthestink
State War Academy
Caldari State
#82 - 2012-11-01 18:50:06 UTC
Riot Girl wrote:
So which corp is it?

My wisdom is greater then my ego. I feel like I could say which aliance and it wouldnt matter bc I dont think they would figure it out but why chance it. Lot of time and effort wasted if I get caught. I will still loose enough as is even if I am able to hurt their alliance.

I despise every thing they stand for and will do the most damage I can.
Bigpimping
Pimp Inc.
#83 - 2012-11-01 18:50:24 UTC
'Cos my main is way too busy doing important main stuff
Smohq Anmirorz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#84 - 2012-11-01 18:53:20 UTC
I am always entertained by this subject, although I have to agree with the succinct comment "search function. use it."

What is a main character? The one who's training? Do I need to switch the character I post on if I switch my main? Did you come here to read posts and have discussions or did you come here to determine if someone is an alt and try to undermine what they say with "post on your main". Maybe it was my main. Maybe it will be next week. Is there some reason you can't just read the post and consider the merits of it on its own? If I have multiple accounts, do I need to tell you who all the main characters are?

This argument seems silly. I don't post on my main, I don't care what you think, it doesn't mean I have to stop posting.
Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#85 - 2012-11-01 19:04:32 UTC
Smohq Anmirorz wrote:
I am always entertained by this subject, although I have to agree with the succinct comment "search function. use it."

What is a main character? The one who's training? Do I need to switch the character I post on if I switch my main? Did you come here to read posts and have discussions or did you come here to determine if someone is an alt and try to undermine what they say with "post on your main". Maybe it was my main. Maybe it will be next week. Is there some reason you can't just read the post and consider the merits of it on its own? If I have multiple accounts, do I need to tell you who all the main characters are?

My "test" earlier was that if you were told you could only have 1 character and all the others will be deleted and you can never have any more alts, which one would you keep? That's your main as you have the most attachment to it.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Gogela
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#86 - 2012-11-01 19:11:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
Smohq Anmirorz wrote:

This argument seems silly. I don't post on my main, I don't care what you think, it doesn't mean I have to stop posting.

There are people who have legitimate questions about eve, and in those questions those who know the answers should offer them. Sometimes what's "obvious" to one person might not be to another, and in a healthy community we can accommodate that. Nobody's a master of everything, after all.

There are others who disagree w/ the direction of game development, the actions of one corp or alliance, people with ideas for features or have solutions to propose to resolve problems in the game. All of these merit discussion.

Sadly, there are those who are just toolbags. They have some RL issues... need attention, want to feel important, or have some kind of mental imbalance. They aren't here to offer anything. Call them trolls or just a*******, what they are in the forums to do is find some measure of therapy, or make people feel as bad as they do about themselves. However, these desperate, tiny little wastes are transparent, and a lot of capsuleers see them for what they are. Why alt post? Because they want their therapy without consequence. That is the primary reason people use alts to shiptost. They don't have a legitimate question about the game, they have nothing to offer, they are just trolling.

You asked "Is there some reason you can't just read the post and consider the merits of it on its own?" I answer "yes". Often times a disagreement isn't fundamental, it's just the result of different perspectives and experience. At the outset of a disagreement, you have to assume, if you enter into it fairly, that maybe you aren't seeing things from that persons perspective, and through discussion what may have initially appeared to be a "stupid comment" was just one of you misunderstanding the other. The troll exploits this disconnect... it's not that they don't understand your perspective or that you don't understand theirs. They just want attention or whatever and are trying to elicit a response. It's obnoxious and a waste of time.

Trolls suck.

I've made the mistake lately of actually responding to them. I'm going to stop doing that.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Smohq Anmirorz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#87 - 2012-11-01 19:13:07 UTC
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:
This is a legitimate question.

I'd say that if you had all your alts in one place, and you were told you can only be one of them forever and never have any more alts, the one you pick is your main.

You could say "It's the one you spend the most time on" however if I'm a spy I'm going to spend most the time on my spy alt rather than my "main".

Therefore I'd use the above test.

Why would someone with multiple accounts only have one main? Why would I play a game that didn't let me have different experiences from that one character? What if I get tired of that one and want to pick a different one as my main? What if I stop playing that character? or biomass it? Now who would you post on? And do you have to explain to everyone you're this other person who posted a lot before so they don't think you're an alt?

This is an alt. He does stuff different from my main. He might become my main one day. Then I'll have to go find another alt to post on...
Smohq Anmirorz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#88 - 2012-11-01 19:15:31 UTC
Smohq Anmirorz wrote:

My "test" earlier was that if you were told you could only have 1 character and all the others will be deleted and you can never have any more alts, which one would you keep? That's your main as you have the most attachment to it.

Which one is the double-boxers main?
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#89 - 2012-11-01 19:17:19 UTC
Hypercake Mix wrote:
This thread happened before.

All of this has happened before, and it will happen again.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Smohq Anmirorz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#90 - 2012-11-01 19:17:40 UTC
Gogela wrote:

Sadly, there are those who are just toolbags. They have some RL issues... need attention, want to feel important, or have some kind of mental imbalance. They aren't here to offer anything. Call them trolls or just a*******, what they are in the forums to do is find some measure of therapy, or make people feel as bad as they do about themselves.

hmmm...these are good reasons to alt post.
Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#91 - 2012-11-01 19:19:13 UTC
Smohq Anmirorz wrote:
Smohq Anmirorz wrote:

Obviously the one they'd keep. Duh.

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Bud Austrene
Secure Haven
#92 - 2012-11-01 19:19:50 UTC
I just decided to start posting and chose to do it on an alt because it seems unwise to let pvper's know where you live.
I believe that eve pvper's are predictable in the fact that they will attack those that do not agree and most have little tolerance of other people's opinions.
Most eve pvper's need validation that their values are correct and will attack those that disagree. I see no reason to make that easy for them.

Yes I am an alt. I see no reason to make it easy for bullies and greifers

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#93 - 2012-11-01 19:26:53 UTC
Bud Austrene wrote:
I just decided to start posting and chose to do it on an alt because it seems unwise to let pvper's know where you live.
I believe that eve pvper's are predictable in the fact that they will attack those that do not agree and most have little tolerance of other people's opinions.
Most eve pvper's need validation that their values are correct and will attack those that disagree. I see no reason to make that easy for them.

There's really nothing to fear. Dogs that bark the most have no bite.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Smohq Anmirorz
State War Academy
Caldari State
#94 - 2012-11-01 19:27:25 UTC
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Smohq Anmirorz wrote:

Obviously the one they'd keep. Duh.

Pay for two accounts and get to keep only one character?
Blind Phew
Injected minds
Beyond the understanding of human behavior
#95 - 2012-11-01 19:27:54 UTC
I used to post with a main but I kept getting propositioned by hot chicks sending me vile and filthy sexual suggestions. But then I found out they were all fat, hairy, smelly guys posing as women. So I switched to an alt.

But now I'm back on my main so we'll see what happens...
Gogela
Krigmakt Elite
Safety.
#96 - 2012-11-01 19:32:36 UTC
Wow. I can't believe I am just finding this awesome forum feature now... I'm forever a nub.

Click on troll's name, select "Hide Posts"

That pretty much solves all of my problems with the forums. That really makes my day. Big smile

It's like jita.... block all the spammers and scammers and you find out Jita is actually a really quiet system.

I'm going to have a beer tonight and toast to whomever at CCP is responsible for that feature. Skål!

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Touval Lysander
Zero Wine
#97 - 2012-11-01 19:35:28 UTC
The other day I bought a char with twice the skill points. He will join a 0.0 corp and I will call him my main.

I will keep this char to annoy Goons and some of the dropkick 0.0 players - when he posts he will be my main.
I will use my new toon to annoy Goons and some of the dropkick highsec players - when he posts he will be my main.

Who am I?

And of course, for each of those characters I have 2 alts so I can launch into a tirade of self-abuse and self-derision all by myself.

The topic is one big unanswerable question OP, sorry.

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#98 - 2012-11-01 19:40:51 UTC  |  Edited by: MeBiatch
I post with an alt for three reasons:
1. Because my mains name is more offensive
2. Because people try to determine a persons argument validity based of who they are and not the legitimacy of thier argument
3. I am highly opinionated and dont want my Corp/alliance to be targeted due to my views...

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Petrus Blackshell
Rifterlings
#99 - 2012-11-01 19:41:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Petrus Blackshell
Bud Austrene wrote:

As a PvPer, I call bullshit. Now, tell me where you live so I can shoot you. Twisted

More seriously, tracking someone down out of spite is really a lot of effort and not really worth it unless they really offended, or you have something else to gain from it. Unless you chestbeat about how you are "super elite and will pwn n00bs in the face", or brag about how your corp has billions and billions in its wallet, or how you have 50-man super-successful PvE ops, or give evidence that being shot would lead to glorious satisfaction via resulting whine, or other such things... you won't be targeted.

There are really so many baddies to shoot "for lulz" that focusing on one to the exclusivity of other things is usually really not a good investment of effort. Most "horror stories" you hear about a carebear being vocal and then getting smacked into the pavement are because of auxiliary reasons, like profit to be made off of ganking blinged-out mission boats, stealing things, or satisfying personal response. Or a combination.

The reason so many get offended by alt posters are because very often, they are obviously people who satisfy the above description, which triggers the "want to kill" instinct... but it can't be satisfied. Alts that do not trigger this typically go undisturbed. If you think you need to use an alt to protect yourself, feel free to do so, but also try to consider the reason you would present a juicy target if you were not an alt.

ISD TYPE40 wrote:
Petrus Blackshell wrote:
Pro tip: This doesn't actually happen.

I beg to differ. I have experienced this personally. And where there is one case, there are bound to be others. That is one of the wonderful things about EVE, everything has a consequence eventually Twisted

Are you sure the posting was the primary reason for the dec, or was it just a "face" reason (while the real reason was something else)? I've been part of wars before that were theoretically for ideologic reasons or being "offended", but were in fact just about wanting good fights.

Ed: I have also seen wars that happened because someone went "whoa, good thing this guy posted, I would not have found this corp of fun-to-shoot baddies otherwise!" Again, it's not usually about the posting, it's about the posting making a pre-existing condition more visible.

A different example: someone may have inherited a bunch of money and have no clue how to manage it, but he will get more badgered by scams and salesmen if he wears ostentatiously expensive things and goes around saying "oh I don't have to worry about money, I got that covered".

Accidentally The Whole Frigate - For-newbies blog (currently on pause)

Bud Austrene
Secure Haven
#100 - 2012-11-01 19:51:26 UTC
Maybe I should ask. What is the value of posting on one of my mains?
What is to gain?

Yes I am an alt. I see no reason to make it easy for bullies and greifers