These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Legit Question: Why do you post with an alt?

First post First post
Author
Beekeeper Bob
Beekeepers Anonymous
#161 - 2012-11-05 23:02:39 UTC
Since EvE is noted for it's meta-gaming, why would you expect the forums to be different?

Anonymity is prized on the internet, so adding layers to it would be the most obvious meta-gaming ploy.

Signature removed - CCP Eterne

Josef Djugashvilis
#162 - 2012-11-05 23:11:43 UTC
Does it really matter?

Content of post is what counts.

This is not a signature.

Smiknight
Smiknight Corporation
#163 - 2012-11-05 23:40:32 UTC
See, I'm in an interesting quandary in that, psychologically speaking, I really don't have a main. Out of the couple of toons I have, neither feels like a main to me. The main I did have, I sold months ago, and this has lead to an almost insteresting lack of identity. Thus, none of my toons feel like...me. As a result, none of my toons are an alt, because I do not identify with any of them on a level deeper than the plans I have for them.
A reward devoid of risk is no reward at all, but is instead a handout.
Freezehunter
#164 - 2012-11-05 23:50:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Freezehunter
I never post with alts, and I don't even have any.

I've been bullied, harrassed, wardecced, betrayed, backstabbed, and many other things because of that but you know what? It's a ******* game after all is said and done...

I generally consider people that post with alts to be complete ******* cowards that are not worth the steam off my ****, and their words are nothing but noise to me.

If you can't post on a game forum with your main character because you are afraid of consequences (LOL!), then I can imagine what sort of spineless ***** you are in reality, and personally I have a massive hate and disgust towards cowards in general, real or otherwise, but ESPECIALLY real ones.

That is why I hate sucker punching bitches IRL, or people who try to make fights more unfair by ganging up on you with their friends (thus making the fight more fun if you are combat trained, like me, but that's another issue).

That is why I hate campers in FPS games, as I am a rusher / flanker / twitcher by nature, and I know that the camping ***** that just killed me could not have taken me on and won the fight in a million years otherwise.

That is why I hate station games and the undock bullshit and idiots that dock before the timer runs out so that they don't lose their shiny ****.

That is why I hate shitheads that brag about how much more awesome they are than me at PVP, because their killboard is so padded with kills made by the Drake blobs they constantly fly with.

That is why I hate thieves and liars and spies, they do nothing but make everyone else a paranoid idiot and create a **** environment to play in for those of us who apply RL morals in this game.

That is why I hate people that rely on 2-3-4 other alts to "solo PVP" and post their bullshit videos of how they "solo'd" someone 5 vs 1 on Youtube.

Another thing I hate is the fact that one day, so many people will have PLEXED alts that, if they quit, suddenly CCP loses 3-4-5-10-20 accounts worth of people's money for ONE person, and that is BAD because it will create a sort of entropy in the player base, which in turn will cause the death of EvE due to bankruptcy.

Sure, you might say "yeah, but people will still buy PLEXES with real money, your logic fails"...
Nope...
If those people quit, then the people using PLEX exclusively to play Eve will QUIT TOO, due to the fact that there will be no one to buy from, and they were so used to playing eve for free that they will just go away instead of paying a real sub, and it's then two times worse for everyone.

That is why I hate alts...

Alt is just another name for "coward" for me in this game, and CCP's policy of encouraging the ridiculously excessive use of alts for EVERYTHING in this game pisses me off and has been a thorn in my side for the past 5 years, and it got worse after PLEX was put in the game and every unemployed basement dweller and his mother could suddenly afford to have more than one active training character, thus getting unfair advantages over those of us who have jobs/wives/families/other **** to do.

It is REMARKABLY pleasing for me to see PLEX prices going through the roof, because it just means I can buy 30 at a time and get stinking rich in game out of thin air by selling to all the alt using, basement dwelling cowards, it also helps clearing some of the alts that some people have, I've seen people with ridiculous number of alts like 20-25 going down to max 3-4, because they suddenly can't afford the upkeep anymore, WHICH IS GOOD.

An exception to this hate I have for alts are people like Chribba, who have to have alts in order to run certain services or promotions or events, like the Eve Search Logger alt he has, and Chribba Claus, who is used for Christmas events.
That, and the EOH guys, and the eve radio DJs, etc...

/endrant

Inappropriate signature, CCP Phantom.

Natasha Liao
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#165 - 2012-11-06 05:48:17 UTC
Freezehunter wrote:
An exception to this hate I have for alts are people like Chribba, who have to have alts in order to run certain services or promotions or events, like the Eve Search Logger alt he has, and Chribba Claus, who is used for Christmas events.
That, and the EOH guys, and the eve radio DJs, etc...

/endrant

This must be the soundtrack to your life -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byEGjLU2egA

You're using logic on an internet discussion forum. A rookie mistake, but one you'll soon learn to avoid. -Destiny Corrupted

Zindela
Aegeonix Systems
#166 - 2012-11-06 08:48:40 UTC
I started posting with an alt for reasons I don't remember. I think it had something to do with default forum settings. However, this alt, and my main are both in the same corporation, which has a total of 4 members.

If someone was interested, it would probably take less than 5 minutes to figure out who my main is.

I started posting with this character, and for the sake of keeping a consistent persona on the forums, I still post with Zin.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#167 - 2012-11-06 12:22:13 UTC
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:

Just curious to see why there are people out there who post on here with a forum alt, as I genuinely don't know why you would want to hide who you are.

Because it bugs people.

About the only decent reason to do anything in this world. Blink

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

Alphea Abbra
Project Promethion
#168 - 2012-11-06 12:31:47 UTC
Because my main is a member of an NPC corp and it reduces my legitimacy as an honest poster to post with what looks like an NPC alt, so I made sure that my posting alt is a member of a respected null-sec alliance.

It's true!
Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#169 - 2012-11-06 12:50:16 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
Malphilos wrote:
Bienator II wrote:
Malphilos wrote:
Bienator II wrote:
i have no alts

I have nothing but alts.

I post with others as well.

You might as well ask why there are multiple character slots.

but i did not ask

You're right, should say: "The OP might as well ask..."

Sorry.

Unless you're my alt in which case, shut up.

i think you do not listen. i said i have no alts. This implies that i can't be your alt.

You said you didn't have one, not that you weren't one.

tl;dr: Prove it.
Urgg Boolean
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#170 - 2012-11-06 14:15:42 UTC
To me, no different than having a lawyer do the talking. People hate lawyers by proxy, so I can deflect any forum hatred that may turn into a wardec. Not that a wardec from forum combat is a likely possibility ...