These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Re-inventing trails

First post First post
Author
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#101 - 2011-11-25 19:58:20 UTC
WOOO! WE LOVE IT!

CCP - GIVE THEM MORE TIME TO REFINE THIS MOAR!

The engine trails look great!

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Riffix
Synergistic Arbitrage
#102 - 2011-11-25 20:05:52 UTC
+1 good job.

Some clarification questions:

- Will we only see trails for our own ship or for all the ships around us? which leads to...

- Can we get some type of data on what type of performance impact they have on a system? For example with our current hardware will we always want them off during large fleet fights?

I also vote for you to have more time to make them look even more fantastic.

Lead, Follow, or Get the #@$!@ Out of the Way.

Kelrift
Darktrace
Reeloaded.
#103 - 2011-11-25 20:10:21 UTC
So why do we need ship spinning ....

Station Orbiting seems way cooler

thanks for bringing this back .. good work !!
Jim Luc
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#104 - 2011-11-25 20:20:16 UTC
Missiles next? Bear
CCP Guard
C C P
C C P Alliance
#105 - 2011-11-25 20:21:04 UTC
Buzzmong wrote:
It's seeing math like that and the outcome of its application that makes me realise my degree is Comp Sci is near useless and I have a very very long way to go until I'll even be a mearly capable games programmer.

Very nice work CCP Mankiller. Do you have a bree (beer) fund? You deserve contributions!

Our collective beer fund can be found here:

https://secure.eveonline.com/

Blink

CCP Guard | EVE Community Developer | @CCP_Guard

AndrewNardella
Capital Construction Research
#106 - 2011-11-25 20:30:51 UTC
Flying with trails for he first time in years was a very special moment (almost as powerful as the first time I saw this video http://youtu.be/maMjjUr6zIQ). I love EVE so much more now.

I couldn't thank you enough.

You get a hug and a beer if I ever make it to fanfest.

Now increase the speed of ships while on grid and in warp. (this would have minimal if not zero effect on gameplay)
The way ships move now while in warp feels weak and tame. Needs to be more like this http://youtu.be/sHyy6F_GgsM (tho I find that a little too fast)
Di Mulle
#107 - 2011-11-25 20:34:15 UTC
Really love that trolling with the math Lol
<<Insert some waste of screen space here>>
Kent Reeves
#108 - 2011-11-25 20:37:17 UTC
Giving positive feedback.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#109 - 2011-11-25 20:48:58 UTC
Didn't get any of the math, but that was seriously cool. And the ingame trails are cool, too.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

kKayron Jarvis
#110 - 2011-11-25 20:53:02 UTC
Very nice, Big smile and some nice nerdy math stuffBig smileLol

and keep them comeing CCP
Terghon Tu
Rockbane Enterprises
#111 - 2011-11-25 20:56:30 UTC
Excellent blog! I always love the behind-the-scenes looks into all the "little" features that make EVE so cool. This one especially touched me since I spent three long years at Uni as a Maths major (changed to Comp Sci when I realized I could make 5x as much).

I think I'll save this as a link for when some whiny Xbox-generation kid says "Why doesn't EVE have XXX? It's so EASY?" Big smile

And, as is traditional for EVE players, when given something (no matter how cool) we always ask for more so...

Can we apply this to the damage/fire effects?
No thanks on missiles (can imagine how chaotic that would look, not to mention client-gpu-load).
Color change due to afterburner activation (brighter/hotter)?
Particle effects customized by mods (Overdrives introduce a super-sonic pulse effect for example)?
PinkKnife
The Cuddlefish
Ethereal Dawn
#112 - 2011-11-25 20:57:45 UTC
Since trails doesn't make sense on slow moving capitals, what about an engine wake? Maybe something like a slow pulse effect around them? Something to make those giant engines seem more massive when a freighter flys by you.
Sin Meng
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2011-11-25 20:59:09 UTC
Very much love this!

Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Jin Entres
Malevolent Intervention
#114 - 2011-11-25 21:06:29 UTC
Sexy. Small things can make a big difference.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#115 - 2011-11-25 21:13:29 UTC

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#116 - 2011-11-25 21:13:33 UTC
+like

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

John Nucleus
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#117 - 2011-11-25 21:18:04 UTC  |  Edited by: John Nucleus
It's been asked already but I haven't seen an answer.

Will the trail be visible when you zoom out? It would be totally awesome for so many reason, please allow this.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#118 - 2011-11-25 21:37:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
CCP Mankiller wrote:
You can turn off the trails in the options menu, if you want....

The length of the trail is directly proportional to the ship's speed.

And we'll see what else we can use this tech for: lasers? maybe...

I can see its use on most, if not all weapons systems.

Hybrid charges from a rail gun could have a near instantaneous "vapor trail" from the shot.

Lasers of course, both pulse and beam (beams should sweep a bit, by the way).

Auto Cannons should (implausibly enough) have tracers, and this system could be used to have the burst appear to "arc" as the auto cannons track their target.
Arty shells are rocket assisted and should have a very brief trail effect (not as instantaneous as rail charges, but brief).

Blasters are problematic. Their hybrid charges should appear as a blob or ragged sheet of raw energy (contained in their magnetic bubble) that splashes across the enemy ship. I don't know if that could be done with this system.

As always, color should vary by ammo type.

Drones and missiles are a given if the system overhead is low enough.

Mining lasers of all types is a given, and possibly salvages and tractors.

Nos/Neut looks pretty good as is.

Excellent work by the way. Nicely done.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

ROSSLINDEN0
Lowlife.
Snuffed Out
#119 - 2011-11-25 21:43:20 UTC
Ship trails suck thanks for letting me turn them off
Gevlin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#120 - 2011-11-25 21:57:32 UTC
Thank you for adding engine trail and going into depth into how much work it was to get it started.

With out your evil mathimatical equation and demonstration of of what you went though I realize it was not a simple solution. I could have thought it was a simple 1hour job to get engine trails re-installed.

These dev blogs go a long way to allow me to under stand how much sweat and Tears go into these project.

Though if you send me enough Jibber Jabber you could probably convince me a 5 min job took 1 year.. on the other hand I think there is the odd eve user who may be knowledgeable to call you bluff as their interest is similar to the work you do.

Now if you were talking SAFETY in construction - I would be hard to be convinced. From my time on enough shady construction sites to say Minmitar Ships look quite sound

On a side note - would be realistic to see Stations and capital ships with random drone duzzing around them keeping then constantly maintained. Or at least a guy in a space suite cleaning the space dust off the observation deck's windows.

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships