These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Re-inventing trails

First post First post
Author
Chi Quan
Bibkor Enterprises
#81 - 2011-11-25 18:45:43 UTC
ZZZZZZOMG

nicely done. and thx for the little blast-from-the-easy-times-math.

-- Please like me, I'm an attention w*ore.

Rixiu
PonyTek
#82 - 2011-11-25 18:46:13 UTC
Awesome mankiller is awesome.

Question though, is it possible to make the trails follow the ships orbit a bit better? For example, taking a fast ship like a crusader and orbiting something very tight will make the end of the trail look much closer than the ship was at that position. And while doing the same thing you'll notice that the part closest to the ship is a bit more straight than the part at the end.

Just something that bugged me on the test server.
ISquishWorms
#83 - 2011-11-25 18:46:49 UTC
I don't understand the maths but the trails sure look good loving them thanks for working on them and bringing them back to EvE. Please allow Mankiller some time to work on them further.

‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’.

Kai Lomu
Cube Zombie Consortium
#84 - 2011-11-25 18:51:38 UTC
CCP Mankiller wrote:
Schnoo wrote:
will missiles be included?

First investigate trails on drones, then missiles.

The length of a trail scales with speed, but the radius scales with the ship's size. Ah, and trails only kick in when you go faster than 150.... (Trails on slow capitals just doesn't make any sense)

Great job! Being missing my drone trails!!! Thanks Mr.CCP Mankiller Big smile
InVictus Kell
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#85 - 2011-11-25 18:54:43 UTC
Math is the work of the devil, therefore engine trails are the work of the devil. albiet a really cool looking devil.

trails reduce the bitterness...not a much as whiskey...but some nonetheless.

Tedric
SUNDERING
Goonswarm Federation
#86 - 2011-11-25 18:58:18 UTC
+1 most definetly!

Engine trails.... oh I remember the days when we had them....

Engine trails and the new backgrounds will rejuvinate the feel of EVE.

I started playing in 2004 with engine trails and dearly missed them when they were removed. There was a huge graphical WOW factor when i started and it has been fading through the years. But with the new engine trails and backdrops the WOW factor should come back full force.

This patch is definitly aimed at pimping the visual effects.

I approve.

Tedric.
Anshio Tamark
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#87 - 2011-11-25 19:00:58 UTC
Why were those removed when I started playing? I started my first account the day Apocrypha aired, because I had seen how cool those trails were on a friend's computer, so I was mildly disappointed when they were missing. But now I think I should prepare my Interceptor, just to see how far the trails can stretch.
Mashie Saldana
V0LTA
WE FORM V0LTA
#88 - 2011-11-25 19:03:05 UTC
It's a series of tubes!

Very nice.
Arte
Harden House Irregulars
#89 - 2011-11-25 19:05:33 UTC
Great stuff - I understood absolutley none of the none of the equations but I like the pictures.
This incidently is also why I read tabloid newspapers.Big smile

I also like that you can go back in time to different releases. What was your actual favourite?

Gael Itrus
Aethernity
#90 - 2011-11-25 19:07:29 UTC
CCP Mankiller wrote:
Schnoo wrote:
will missiles be included?

First investigate trails on drones, then missiles.

The length of a trail scales with speed, but the radius scales with the ship's size. Ah, and trails only kick in when you go faster than 150.... (Trails on slow capitals just doesn't make any sense)

This is great news, assuming these trails are smoke and fire.

Getting the art department involved to revamp missile aesthetics wouldn't hurt either. As it stands you'd be putting trails on a glowing cone.
Infinion
Awesome Corp
#91 - 2011-11-25 19:12:41 UTC
posting in an epic thread
Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#92 - 2011-11-25 19:22:21 UTC
The geek factor of this devblog most be rated as off the scale (or at least 11 out of 10).

Despite no pseudo code nor graphs or tables to explain (erh well) the diff between various solutions.

A new cmu (concurrent math usage) for a devblog? ;)

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Buzzmong
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#93 - 2011-11-25 19:22:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzmong
It's seeing math like that and the outcome of its application that makes me realise my degree is Comp Sci is near useless and I have a very very long way to go until I'll even be a mearly capable games programmer.

Very nice work CCP Mankiller. Do you have a bree (beer) fund? You deserve contributions!
Kubiq
State War Academy
Caldari State
#94 - 2011-11-25 19:24:44 UTC
mmm sexyy
hired goon
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#95 - 2011-11-25 19:28:14 UTC
Azgard Majik wrote:
Thank you for the hard work on these trails but I'm afraid I have to disappoint. I hated engine trails as it made the game look like a cartoon and was glad when they went. As I seem to be the only one in EVE that thinks this way then I guess I can live with engine trails.

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE Shocked
Alain Kinsella
#96 - 2011-11-25 19:32:26 UTC
Dunno, to me (who started after Apoch) those pics make me think the new trails look better than the old ones. *hides under desk*

Great work, and thank you. /salute

"The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever."

Currently Retired / Semi-Casual (pending changes to RL concerns).

Peter Tjordenskiold
#97 - 2011-11-25 19:38:32 UTC
Awesome blog!

But I have to confess, to me the game mechanics is much more important to me than graphics. IMHO reducing graphics to something like in the old spaceship game Elite would be ok. Twisted In the end, interacting of masses of pilots is the success of EVE.
Gripen
#98 - 2011-11-25 19:46:00 UTC
What is the point in raytracing as the way to visualize trails? Why not to use old proven way of crossed textured planes? By the look of it your raytracing implementation uses constant density within the cylinders which makes visual results inferior to old trails in my opinion.
CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#99 - 2011-11-25 19:46:30 UTC
This looks like pure win-sauce!

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Liberty Belle
Yulai Heavy Industries
#100 - 2011-11-25 19:48:34 UTC
Visual enhancements are always a winner!