These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New drone exploit - instapops everything

First post First post
Author
Logan Revelore
Symbiotic Systems
#101 - 2013-12-29 04:03:39 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
Logan Revelore wrote:
Saltire wrote:
Novice coder here.

Do you think the negative damage values are allowed because whoever wrote the code that controls drones/damage calculator used a regular integer instead of an unsigned int?

I can only hack the Gibson in 13 parsecs Sad

It seems they forgot to add a sanity check in some of the damage code. Sanity checks can cover and patch a lot of bad code, but in ideal circumstances you shouldn't need them, but in this case it would be pretty simple to just add a sanity check, and if it's detected that a "Wasp II" shouldn't do -11000 damage or 20000 damage for that matter, then recalculate the damage.

But yes, not using unsigned in this part of the code would, imo, be bad coding. But that's not necessarily what's going on here.

It could also be a memory bug, simply fetching the damage from the wrong memAddress, again, a sanity check would solve such a problem.

Trolls aside, as others have said, this is an important bug that needs to be addressed. I'd say it's a rank B bug.

Let's not rule out that a pointer to a variable got nuked and when assigned out of the tail end came up long int by default.

Raise your hands if you ever got impaled on your own pointer math in a program. o/

Raises both hands
Logan Revelore
Symbiotic Systems
#102 - 2013-12-29 04:05:07 UTC
Magna Mortem wrote:
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Magna Mortem wrote:
I believe you. People are don't even get that they don't get you.

I wouldn't be inclined to believe him except for two things. First of all, this isn't the first person to complain about this exact bug. Second of all, the previous person who complained about this had a video showing their ship (I believe it was an Archon) from a third-person perspective losing structure at a slow but steady pace, but then instantly exploding at about 50%. No titans were on field or on that killmail.

I'll have to find that thread.
I just reread my post and I have no idea what I was typing...

It's ok, you just had a few spare words you decided to get rid of.
ISD Cura Ursus
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#103 - 2013-12-29 04:08:33 UTC
Thread locked.

OP, if you really feel it is an exploit, please file a petition or a bug report.
If you post about it here in the forums that is not going to get you anything other than grief, which is the opposite of what you want, for other forum critters will merely point and laugh, and if it is truly an exploit/hack/etc then you are in violation of forum rules.

ISD Cura Ursus

Lieutenant Commander

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#104 - 2014-01-03 23:42:08 UTC
This appears to be some sort of bug. It will be investigated properly.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents