These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Please Help Me Understand the Goonfolk

Author
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#41 - 2013-05-30 01:59:34 UTC
we would lose our identity if we do not scourge highseccers

we do not subscribe to their belief that it is the lowest form of pvp, because the targets make delightful squeals when their ships are blown up in a game about ships getting blown up

some of the posts above are great examples of such delightful squeals

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

BadAssMcKill
Aliastra
#42 - 2013-05-30 02:05:07 UTC
Grrr Goons
Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#43 - 2013-05-30 02:14:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Robus Muvila
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Shao Huang wrote:
...
Corey- your argument seems flawed to me. Goons are in fact part of the game. Is the game about inclusion, as you say? I don't know if it is about inclusion or not, but your argument is off. What it seems like is you just don't like Goons or the way they play the game. That is a different matter and completely your perogative. They create a particular boundary in the game that gives it meaning for them in various ways. So do you. In fact, Goons as other constitute part of your boundary condition n almost exactly the same way the 'pubbies' constitute an asserted boundary condition for Goons.

The OP seemed to be asking what the animosity towards Goons was all about. My post was a look at them through the lens of uproar and discontent that leads towards negative feelings for them.

The really interesting thing is the reaction to that opinion; they seem very unhappy and offended.


Your opinion is shared my a healthy majority of the space proletariate, usually through ignorance, defeat, opposition, bile or heresay and thats fine. You are more than free to sit in your ship, gripping your knees and crowing "GOOOOOOOOOOOONS" to your hearts content.
But speculating on money is one step short of falling into the REAL tinfoil end of the spectrum where all Null powerblocs are just RMT cartels and we're all jetting round in RL corvettes bought with ill gotten ISK or whatever it is that month. And that's just not healthy.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Kristina Rin
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#44 - 2013-05-30 02:25:18 UTC
read this thread, still found nothing to hate goonswarms P

or maybe im just too friendly and innocent P

2014 !!!

EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#45 - 2013-05-30 02:36:25 UTC
Mulani Askiras wrote:
Goons aren't going to Providence. Quit blowing smoke.

Goons are as boring as they sound. The most they can do is attack defenseless ships via suicide ganks because the general player skill in Goon is pretty abysmal.

It's pretty well accepted why you guys turn to 'player generated content' such as jita burn, since ya'll are worthless in null.

~come and get us~
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#46 - 2013-05-30 02:54:55 UTC
honestly they'd evac even before tallpos.jpg is posted

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Daedlus Caine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#47 - 2013-05-30 03:18:39 UTC
Good god, what happened to my thread? Well, since we're all here... I'm going to love seeing goons scramble to find new moon goo after Odyessy hits. What shall ensue? We can only wait.

Goonies, try not to break each others skulls in. It kills your brain cells.

Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#48 - 2013-05-30 03:20:05 UTC
Daedlus Caine wrote:
Good god, what happened to my thread? Well, since we're all here... I'm going to love seeing goons scramble to find new moon goo after Odyessy hits. What shall ensue? We can only wait.

Goonies, try not to break each others skulls in. It kills your brain cells.



We've long since rotted our brains with subpar alcoholic slop. Have you ever heard DBRB scream on a video? We're all that drunk ALL THE TIME.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Daedlus Caine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2013-05-30 03:23:28 UTC
Robus Muvila wrote:


We've long since rotted our brains with subpar alcoholic slop. Have you ever heard DBRB scream on a video? We're all that drunk ALL THE TIME.


That seems to be everyone in EVE.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#50 - 2013-05-30 03:43:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Goons... where to start.
Goons were to be feared when I first started playing, they'd just dismantled BoB and were busy rampaging across nullsec. If they ever came up in conversation with corpies the general consensus was Goons are evil, avoid at all costs.

Over the time I've been playing I came to realise that while Goons are seen as pure evil by the majority of people, they are in fact good for the game, they bring newbies into Eve, they produce all sorts of amusing and satirical propaganda and stage massive ingame events, some of which make the headlines of the real world mainstream press, by mainstream I mean outside of the gaming press.

Up until late last year I'd never personally dealt with GSF members, I've spent the last 6 or 7 months chatting with some of their members who frequent a chat channel for people with a shared interest. On the whole the guys I have spoken to are playing Eve to have fun, their definition of fun may be different from other peoples, but fun is why we game. They're knowledgeable about Eve, and devious in the way that they play it, and they're prepared to share their "expertise" with a random highsec pubbie like myself so that I can enhance the way that I play.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Daedlus Caine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-05-30 03:47:58 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
-snip


That was oddly beautiful. Well said. o7
Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#52 - 2013-05-30 03:53:25 UTC
We're all Goons now.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#53 - 2013-05-30 03:57:28 UTC
Came here to read the question and give a neutral unbiased response about goons.

Found Goon line grunts threatening to *burn provi*.

Well done EVE-O, you caught me off guard there.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Ripblade Falconpunch
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#54 - 2013-05-30 04:05:53 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
KuroVolt wrote:
Came here to read the question and give a neutral unbiased response about goons.

Found Goon line grunts threatening to *burn provi*.

Well done EVE-O, you caught me off guard there.


Andski isn't exactly a "line grunt".....

Also, shouldn't there be some Provi-bloc RP going on? Like... "Corey Fumishitposter roars, 'Ye foul goons are all naught but a bunch of besotted nerfherders! Begone from EVE or thou shalt feel the wrath of my double-pronged Tormentor in your backsides!' "

.... or something?

You pay a subscription fee to post here. *Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal
KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#55 - 2013-05-30 04:14:53 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
Ripblade Falconpunch wrote:


Also, shouldn't there be some Provi-bloc RP going on? Like... "Corey Fumishitposter roars, 'Ye foul goons are all naught but a bunch of besotted nerfherders! Begone from EVE or thou shalt feel the wrath of my Tormentor in your backsides!' "


Hey, you are pretty good! You should totally join, you sound like CVA Director material to me!

*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Kamden Line
Sovereign Citizen and other Tax Evasion Schemes
#56 - 2013-05-30 04:52:45 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
KuroVolt wrote:
Ripblade Falconpunch wrote:


Also, shouldn't there be some Provi-bloc RP going on? Like... "Corey Fumishitposter roars, 'Ye foul goons are all naught but a bunch of besotted nerfherders! Begone from EVE or thou shalt feel the wrath of my Tormentor in your backsides!' "


Hey, you are pretty good! You should totally join, you sound like CVA Director material to me!

But yeah, stop badposting.


*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal
To the rest of Nulsec, Providence and CVA are something of a running joke, ignored largely because Providence is literally the worst region in the game, outstripping even Syndicate for lack of good moons, good PVPers, *Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal
Indeed, Providence truly is the only place in the game aside from high sec where I can follow around a fleet with a neutral alt and not get blown up.
RubyPorto
RubysRhymes
#57 - 2013-05-30 05:00:57 UTC
Robus Muvila wrote:
Your opinion is shared my a healthy majority of the space proletariate, usually through ignorance, defeat, opposition, bile or heresay and thats fine. You are more than free to sit in your ship, gripping your knees and crowing "GOOOOOOOOOOOONS" to your hearts content.
But speculating on money is one step short of falling into the REAL tinfoil end of the spectrum where all Null powerblocs are just RMT cartels and we're all jetting round in RL corvettes bought with ill gotten ISK or whatever it is that month. And that's just not healthy.



To be fair, that last bit is pretty much actually true... on the Serenity server...

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths." -Abrazzar "the risk of having your day ruined by other people is the cornerstone with which EVE was built" -CCP Solomon

dark heartt
#58 - 2013-05-30 05:59:19 UTC
As someone who has had no dealings with Goonswarm beyond flying through their space a couple of times with RvB and on my own, and someone within the alliance (not the actual Goon corp) attempting to recruitment scam me (that was a lot of fun seeing how they do it), I like the swarm.

They all seem to have fun playing the game. They play the game their way and don't let what anyone else says get in the way of that. I did a flight from north to south in 0.0 and the only people who had a conversation with me were Goons, and despite the fact they were hunting me trying to kill me, they still wished me luck. Like any large organisation I'm sure there are some bad guys in there who genuinely act like assholes in real life, but most them seem realise this is just a game and don't take it *overly* seriously.

The people who think there is some sort of ~GOON CONSPIRACY~ are either trolling or really need to take off the tinfoil. No there is no plot to take over the entire game with someone from Goonswarm inside CCP - Where would the fun go if there was no targets to fight, scam or rob? The people who hate Goons simply because the others around them hate Goons, who in turn hate them because they were taught to hate them really need to take a step back and make decisions for themselves.

As far as I am concerned they also bring more to the game than they take away. They provide content, conflict and an almost never ending source of good Eve stories. They bring new players from the SA forums and it wouldn't surprise me if most of those new players stay in the game for a good long while.



And to the people who are still bringing up TheMittani's mistake at FF... think to yourself: if that was the leader of any other major alliance, would I care as much? Or is it because it was Mittens who said it that I continue to hold onto it? If the answer to the first question is yes, then continue holding on it, if not then just let the damn thing go already. The guy has apologised, The Wis has accepted and holds no grudge, its over.
dark heartt
#59 - 2013-05-30 06:01:57 UTC
Kult Altol wrote:
Anything on Mitannil is garbage.

Got some proof?
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#60 - 2013-05-30 06:36:05 UTC
dark heartt wrote:
Kult Altol wrote:
Anything on Mitannil is garbage.

Got some proof?


Asking for proof of an opinion. You win the thread.

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~