These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Please Help Me Understand the Goonfolk

Author
Daedlus Caine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2013-05-29 19:36:50 UTC
First of all, I'm not sure if this belongs in the general or the alliance/corp dicussions. vov I'll risk it anyway

As I have been playing actively for about a year or two now, I've been trying to figure out why I have this mental alignment to hate the Goons. Maybe it's their popularity, maybe the fact fedoras died in the 70's, or if Mister Shadoo of PL's face makes me laugh more. So I ask of any member of the Goonswarm that passes by, what's your game? I have a difficult time thinking you're pirates. It's not the usual MO of the sociopaths of low-sec. I want to hear a Goon's thought of what they are and their alignments to the EVE universe are. Let's face it though, I'll probably only get a snark comment.

Thanks for reading!
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#2 - 2013-05-29 19:43:04 UTC
Goons are good, honest, hardworking and industrious people and have gotten a bad rap because of the greedy highsec mining lobbyists.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Daedlus Caine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2013-05-29 19:44:34 UTC
Unsuccessful At Everything wrote:
Goons are good, honest, hardworking and industrious people and have gotten a bad rap because of the greedy highsec mining lobbyists.


Sounds both propagandic and truthful at the same time. Well played.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#4 - 2013-05-29 19:47:17 UTC
Just read this.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#5 - 2013-05-29 19:51:40 UTC
We do everything. Some goons like suicide ganking in highsec, so we give them the resources they need to accomplish that. Some goons like wormholes, so we give them what they need to do that. Some goons like gigantic TiDi meatgrinders, some goons like small gang PvP, and some goons like ruining days in a hostile region - we help them accomplish those things as well.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Ramona McCandless
The McCandless Clan
#6 - 2013-05-29 19:54:03 UTC
To have an emotional attachment one way or another to GSF is akin to being upset with or loving a tornado.

The tornado doesn't give a crap.

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Kult Altol
The Safe Space
#7 - 2013-05-29 19:55:44 UTC
Tippia wrote:
Just read this.



Tldr, had more words than your likes.


Anything on Mitannil is garbage.

[u]Can't wait untill when Eve online is Freemium.[/u] WiS only 10$, SP booster for one month 15$, DPS Boost 2$, EHP Boost 2$ Real money trading hub! Cosmeitic ship skins 15$ --> If you don't [u]pay **[/u]for a product, you ARE the [u]**product[/u].

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#8 - 2013-05-29 19:58:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Kult Altol wrote:
Tldr, had more words than your likes.
Complex question has complex answer…

Quote:
Anything on Mitannil is garbage.
…and apparently, complexity isn't your thing. Also, you should probably read this.
Scatim Helicon
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2013-05-29 20:14:27 UTC
CCP created a game where it is possible to lie, cheat, scam, and generally be a jerk.

Some players get tremendously angry at the idea that some other players may actually take advantage of these possibilities.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Corey Fumimasa
Court of Gods
Tsundere Triad
#10 - 2013-05-29 20:17:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
You sound like a Goon alt trying to obscure their history. Well played yourself.

However, they are astonishingly poor winners who pay $10 to belong to the "winning" team. Their main tactic is to make other players so miserable that they leave the game. Their "leader" advocated driving other players to suicide. google Mittani art of war for more on that philosophy.

Something Awful forums is a business model that has made 1.5 million + dollars on subscriptions and has a substantial add revenue due to its subscribers. Whether or not some of this money is used to help the Goons along is impossible to ascertain. However what is undeniable is that someone has a very nice life because of Goon success.

It is this probable smashentment of RL money and influence with a game that makes people despise them. Its like the obnoxious guy who buys cheat codes and then brags about how he kicks ass.
Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#11 - 2013-05-29 20:34:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Robus Muvila
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
You sound like a Goon alt trying to obscure their history. Well played yourself.

However, they are astonishingly poor winners who pay $10 to belong to the "winning" team. Their main tactic is to make other players so miserable that they leave the game. Their "leader" advocated driving other players to suicide. google Mittani art of war for more on that philosophy.

Something Awful forums is a business model that has made 1.5 million + dollars on subscriptions and has a substantial add revenue due to its subscribers. Whether or not some of this money is used to help the Goons along is impossible to ascertain. However what is undeniable is that someone has a very nice life because of Goon success.

It is this probable smashentment of RL money and influence with a game that makes people despise them. Its like the obnoxious guy who buys cheat codes and then brags about how he kicks ass.


Wow, there's so many idiotic statements in this post. But for now I'll function on your forum ignorance.

The physical forum entity known as "Something Awful" has no link with EvE Goons. The SA forums are run by a guy called Lowtax. The $10 joining fee serves a purpose besides sweet monies.
It makes for a perfect idiot filter. Trolls, spammers and career retards are not particularly keen on paying $10 again to rejoin again upon getting banned. Thats like saying that Reddit funds Dreddit through gold subscriptions.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Varius Xeral
Doomheim
#12 - 2013-05-29 20:35:16 UTC
This is what insular provi scrublords actually believe.

I pray that a large enough portion of the new randomly assigned moons get plopped in provi that someone considers it worthwhile to steamroll.

Provi scrubs and test both need to get driven, screaming, into the sea for our entertainment.

Official Representative of The Nullsec Zealot Cabal

Winter Archipelago
Autumn Industrial Enterprises
#13 - 2013-05-29 20:37:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Winter Archipelago
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
Whether or not some of this money is used to help the Goons along is impossible to ascertain. However what is undeniable is that someone has a very nice life because of Goon success.

It is this probable smashentment of RL money and influence with a game that makes people despise them. Its like the obnoxious guy who buys cheat codes and then brags about how he kicks ass.


You do know that the Something Awful forum existed long before EvE did, right? And that EvE's Goons (and indeed, EvE in general) are only a rather small subset of the forum? I honestly doubt that they are getting any sort of kick-back for being a successful group in EvE, especially when considering that their gamer core tends to be successful in just about every game they play.

Just imagine if every gamer group there got a bit of a kickback for being successful... It would drive the place to bankruptcy.
Bob Blunts
#14 - 2013-05-29 20:38:40 UTC
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
You sound like a Goon alt trying to obscure their history. Well played yourself.

However, they are astonishingly poor winners who pay $10 to belong to the "winning" team. Their main tactic is to make other players so miserable that they leave the game. Their "leader" advocated driving other players to suicide. google Mittani art of war for more on that philosophy.

Something Awful forums is a business model that has made 1.5 million + dollars on subscriptions and has a substantial add revenue due to its subscribers. Whether or not some of this money is used to help the Goons along is impossible to ascertain. However what is undeniable is that someone has a very nice life because of Goon success.

It is this probable smashentment of RL money and influence with a game that makes people despise them. Its like the obnoxious guy who buys cheat codes and then brags about how he kicks ass.


What a crock. Let the fanfest thing die ffs. The dude apologized over and over profusely and took his licks from CCP. Christ, I have spoken with the guy it was directed at (The Wis) and even he doesnt hold a grudge. Let it go man.

Secondly, how can you possibly shoehorn 10,000 different people into your narrow idiotic 2d definition. I know tons of goons who are awesome dudes and have been very beneficial to the community.

Lastly, it is pretty commonly known that goons have an amazing track record in fostering and teaching our newbros, which pretty much flies in the face of your notion that they "want other people to leave the game."

I mean, you are a pretty awful poster in general, but this kind of bullshit is pretty lame even for you. You should feel bad.
E-2C Hawkeye
State War Academy
Caldari State
#15 - 2013-05-29 20:46:59 UTC
Daedlus Caine wrote:
First of all, I'm not sure if this belongs in the general or the alliance/corp dicussions. vov I'll risk it anyway

As I have been playing actively for about a year or two now, I've been trying to figure out why I have this mental alignment to hate the Goons. Maybe it's their popularity, maybe the fact fedoras died in the 70's, or if Mister Shadoo of PL's face makes me laugh more. So I ask of any member of the Goonswarm that passes by, what's your game? I have a difficult time thinking you're pirates. It's not the usual MO of the sociopaths of low-sec. I want to hear a Goon's thought of what they are and their alignments to the EVE universe are. Let's face it though, I'll probably only get a snark comment.

Thanks for reading!


The reason for the goon hate is because they don’t respect the game or the gaming community. They exploit every aspect of the game and try to manipulate every exploitable situation to suite them regardless of how it effects the game or the people in it.

With that said In any organization both good and bad people can be found, but in bad organizations you seldom see the good people in charge. The few control the many.
Danni stark
#16 - 2013-05-29 20:57:17 UTC
you say that like pointing out glaring issues that need fixing is a bad thing.
Bob Blunts
#17 - 2013-05-29 21:16:30 UTC
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Daedlus Caine wrote:
First of all, I'm not sure if this belongs in the general or the alliance/corp dicussions. vov I'll risk it anyway

As I have been playing actively for about a year or two now, I've been trying to figure out why I have this mental alignment to hate the Goons. Maybe it's their popularity, maybe the fact fedoras died in the 70's, or if Mister Shadoo of PL's face makes me laugh more. So I ask of any member of the Goonswarm that passes by, what's your game? I have a difficult time thinking you're pirates. It's not the usual MO of the sociopaths of low-sec. I want to hear a Goon's thought of what they are and their alignments to the EVE universe are. Let's face it though, I'll probably only get a snark comment.

Thanks for reading!


The reason for the goon hate is because they don’t respect the game or the gaming community. They exploit every aspect of the game and try to manipulate every exploitable situation to suite them regardless of how it effects the game or the people in it.

With that said In any organization both good and bad people can be found, but in bad organizations you seldom see the good people in charge. The few control the many.



Which part demonstrates their lack of respect for the game?

Their tireless efforts to provide content? (Burn Jita 1 and 2, Hulkageddon, the ice interdictions, probably more null stuff of which im unaware)

The thousands of hours their members have spent providing Eve with it's only *real* news site? (If you say EN24, then we have nothing further to discuss)

The untold man hours spent maintaining and growing their space empire to provide a home for their vast membership?

Maybe it is the development of Evemon that demonstrates this lack of respect? Or the former goons who moved on to help develop the game?

Wait! Let me guess! You must be a high sec whine...err... miner? Thats the only conclusion I can draw from your ignorant ill informed ranting.

People like you need to seriously get over yourselves. Goons ganking your freighter =/= Goons not respecting the game or community.

Gealbhan
Temeraria Praedonum
Catastrophic Experiment
#18 - 2013-05-29 21:20:55 UTC
To me, Goons are like old WW2 mines that break loose from sunken minelayer ships. Yeah they can be dangerous to those near them but I'm so far away I don't care.

Let Goons be Goons and the rest of us just keep on truckin' Arrow
Daedlus Caine
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#19 - 2013-05-29 21:31:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Daedlus Caine
Corey Fumimasa wrote:
You sound like a Goon alt trying to obscure their history.


Hey guys, I'm part of Goonswarm now!

are you seriously accusing me of being an alt? you're a funny guy. <3





Seriously though, it looks like it depends on the goon and their strategy. Thanks for all the info guys.

EDIT: I think I'm just gonna step out of here slowly while the beasts eat each other.
Earl Hazard
Apotheosis Inc.
#20 - 2013-05-29 21:33:51 UTC
During my time in null before real life crimped my style. I was in Razor alliance so worked closely with Goonswarm on more than a few occasions. I can honestly say it was the most fun I have had in the game to date.

They are a fun organization that does not take themselves to seriously. They have great FC's and I even managed to learn a thing or two even though I wasn't trying. I hope when my real life settles to go back out there again.
I hope this helps in your quest to understand the goons if not oh well.
123Next pageLast page