These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Team Avatar and the future of our prototype

First post First post First post
Author
Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#3161 - 2013-12-08 09:50:22 UTC
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Well, currently SC haves 325,490 supporters, which are more unique customers than EVE haves. And SC aims straight at the core of the following EVE demographics:

- "Casual" players
- Solo players
- PvE players
- Hisec players
- aspiring avatar PvP players
- aspiring avatar PvE players

Star Citizen is claiming to be every game of every genre ever in one package with a cherry on top, of course it aims at a lot of Eve's demographics.

Let's see if it ever gets beyond the "Give Chris Roberts a thousand dollars and get a screenshot of a spaceship" stage first.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#3162 - 2013-12-08 09:58:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Lipbite
So I've discovered Star Trek Online in Thursday. It has avatar gameplay, now I can't force myself to return to EVE...

P.S. STO simply copied "Pirates of Burning Sea" gameplay - I like it.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3163 - 2013-12-08 11:28:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Lipbite wrote:
So I've discovered Star Trek Online in Thursday. It has avatar gameplay, now I can't force myself to return to EVE...

P.S. STO simply copied "Pirates of Burning Sea" gameplay - I like it.

Oh, seriously? Shocked

Damn, I played POTBS for a while, until the economy messed up and PvPrs started killing the game, a process that began with the nerf of the Couronne and become worst as FLS (Flying Lab Software) catered to the noisy PvP cuckoo chicks and gave the finger to the loyal PvE base.

I heard rumors that, well after becoming F2P, things were so messed up that players would be buying PvE charters with real money only to be camped at undock and lose them to PvP players which in turn would run the PvE bonus missions... Shocked

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Terranid Meester
Tactical Assault and Recon Unit
#3164 - 2013-12-08 14:01:18 UTC
EvE is a pvp game. Deal with it.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3165 - 2013-12-08 14:13:34 UTC
Terranid Meester wrote:

Most players don't pay for the PvP. Deal with it.

Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#3166 - 2013-12-08 15:23:44 UTC
If people are in EVE for something that's not PvP

here is your misconception everything in EVE is PvP and I do mean everything.

Terranid Meester wrote:

you're funny Ish Blink
Amber Kurvora
#3167 - 2013-12-08 15:30:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Amber Kurvora
Terranid Meester wrote:

In part - Eve is what ever you want it to be (within the constrains of the mechanics). It's just we like competing due to our genes going "Oi! I want to get replicated, go be manly and prove how big your penis is by killing stuffs!". Some people just don't want to deal with that ****. You cannot force them to play the game how you desire to play it, which ultimately makes me a happy person, because screw having to live by one person's ideals about how things should be.

Plus...Eve is a sandbox, innit.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3168 - 2013-12-08 16:51:39 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:
If people are in EVE for something that's not PvP

here is your misconception everything in EVE is PvP and I do mean everything.

Terranid Meester wrote:

you're funny Ish Blink

For the MILLIONTH TIME: When I say "PvP" in this thread, I refer to ship to ship combat.

Thank you.

. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-'" " " " " " " " " "``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ":,
. . . . . . . .. .. /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:". . . ./
. . . . . . . /. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . ."~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . "~,_. . . .."~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . ."=,_. . . ."-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~"; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . ."=-._. . .";,,./`. . /" . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .`~,. . .."~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-"
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . /
. . . . . . `~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,__. . . `,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .. .
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#3169 - 2013-12-08 17:08:09 UTC

People who don't like PvP and avoid it by any means are a majority in EVE. They are CCP's "wrong customers", and what should CCP do about them?

I'm one of those.

I've not been involved in any serious PvP for my 5 years (except getting blown up, running suicide tackle or using an alt or 5 to suicide annoying bots).

And I have to admit that I still have fun in EvE.

If it wasn't for suicide ganks, annoying wardecs, market scams and all kind of day to day life in EvE it would be boring.

I can create a spreadsheet for my next run of production, but that spreadsheet can't cover the social interaction that is the core of an MMO.

Having to use my (possible limited) cognitive abilities to navigate that ocean of conflicting targets is what makes EvE fun for me.

I might be stupid, but playing a game where I am a little fish in a large ocean full of hungry and ruthless sharks is exactly what I find fun.

But I can't avoid that I'm also senior project lead and systems architect.

When there's an issue in EvE, real or felt, the analyst kicks in.

And it's possibly hinting at some diagnosis but I will automatically break it down to known facts and start planning for a way to solve the issue.

Which is when people post stuff that I find initiated but wrong (in my view), I can't help to object ;)

Btw.
Fazmarai, Battlecruiser 3000 AD
That's what SC makes me think of

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#3170 - 2013-12-08 17:56:59 UTC
Terranid Meester wrote:

Eve is a living work of Science Fiction, a sandbox mmo.

Star Conflict is a PVP game. You can fight all day, get paid cash, you don't lose anything when your ship blows up and there's no pesky clones.

Star Conflict is that way ---->

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#3171 - 2013-12-08 18:00:37 UTC
Little Dragon Khamez wrote:

EvE is also a commercial enterprise by a small indie studio.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Little Dragon Khamez
#3172 - 2013-12-08 18:12:11 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:

I refer to your earlier post that Eve is all about PVP, you reply as highlighted above is utterly random and adds nothing to the discussion.

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#3173 - 2013-12-08 18:24:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Lors Dornick
Lors Dornick wrote:

I refer to your earlier post that Eve is all about PVP, you reply as highlighted above is utterly random and adds nothing to the discussion.

How can it not?

Any idea about how to advance anything in EvE comes down to a very solid fact.

That EvE is a commercial enterprise by a small indie studio.

Anything we want or anything the devs want or any thing their management want comes down to that.

So while I agree that eve is a very much living work of science fiction, and one that I very much enjoy being a tiny part of, I refuse to ignore that it's also a commercial enterprise.

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#3174 - 2013-12-08 18:31:53 UTC
Terranid Meester wrote:

You forgot to repeat the other EVE-O forum meme:

"EVE has sound?"
"EVE is a spaceship only game"
"May I have your stuff?"
"Nerf AFK cloackers"

And

"I'm not a moron, I'm only autistic plix help me to understand"

Job Valador
Professional Amateurs
#3175 - 2013-12-08 20:16:23 UTC
Wow this thread is still kicking!

Weird thing I did today in game. Went into CQ and just held the W key into "the door". Didnt budge. Really wanted it too TT_TT.

/gave useless story because everything that could be said has been said. only feelings of longing of lost opportunity remain.

"The stone exhibited a profound lack of movement."

Little Dragon Khamez
#3176 - 2013-12-08 21:38:13 UTC
Lors Dornick wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:

How can it not?

Anything we want or anything the devs want or any thing their management want comes down to that.

So while I agree that eve is a very much living work of science fiction, and one that I very much enjoy being a tiny part of, I refuse to ignore that it's also a commercial enterprise.

Problem is that spreadsheets in space don't sell that well, plus FIS only content will always remain niche. Times have changed and if CCP wants to stay on top of the game they need to pull a new rabbit out of the hat, whether that's WIS content or something else entirely is up to them. As it stands CCP are market leaders in what they do, if they fail to act and pull a shiny new and subscription selling rabbit out that hat they will become market followers. As a person who runs my owm company in RL I know which one of those two I'd rather be.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3177 - 2013-12-08 22:45:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Lors Dornick wrote:
Lors Dornick wrote:

How can it not?

Problem is that spreadsheets in space don't sell that well, plus FIS only content will always remain niche. Times have changed and if CCP wants to stay on top of the game they need to pull a new rabbit out of the hat, whether that's WIS content or something else entirely is up to them. As it stands CCP are market leaders in what they do, if they fail to act and pull a shiny new and subscription selling rabbit out that hat they will become market followers. As a person who runs my owm company in RL I know which one of those two I'd rather be.

Space games are coming back. Today the hottest new it's "No man's Sky", an indie game with a fully procedural universe, being developed by 4 guys who just want to define what is "next generation". Heh.

34 million dollars kickstarted for Star Citizen and 9 companies involved on the making.

David Braben saying that yes, this time, Elite 4, err, 5, err, Dangerous is 2 million pounds for real.

Egosoft paddling coal like champs to keep the X: Rebirth machine chugging towards Expected Quality.

And meanwhile EVE is walking towards adding more conquerable/exploitable space over which fight rmassive battles, a succesful concept beloved by 1 in 10 players.

What, oh, what could be wrong with CCP focused on pleasing a tiny minority as everyone and their uncle are aiming at the juicy core of EVE misfits?

Flamespar
WarRavens
#3178 - 2013-12-09 04:02:27 UTC
I think it would be cool if storyline agents actually came to see you personally.

Sansha storyline agent dropping by
Soulpirate
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#3179 - 2013-12-09 04:03:03 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
Star Citizen is claiming to be every game of every genre ever in one package with a cherry on top, of course it aims at a lot of Eve's demographics.

Let's see if it ever gets beyond the "Give Chris Roberts a thousand dollars and get a screenshot of a spaceship" stage first.

SC is promising to be a complete space based sci-fi simulator. I'm pretty sure there is only the one genre they are claiming to be.

Also, they are well beyond screenshots, but I am sure you are well aware of this as there are plenty of goons already active in SC.
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#3180 - 2013-12-09 04:42:29 UTC
Soulpirate wrote:
Scatim Helicon wrote:

SC is promising to be a complete space based sci-fi simulator. I'm pretty sure there is only the one genre they are claiming to be.

Also, they are well beyond screenshots, but I am sure you are well aware of this as there are plenty of goons already active in SC.

Two very different games thankfully. SC is well past screenshots, with detailed ships present in the hangars, even if you can't do much with them besides hop in the cockpit, or walk around inside. Shaping up very nicely though.

Given the most common response in this thread is likely, "EVE is all about PvP," as usual, I don't think they are aimed at EVEs demographic at all. EVEs demographic has always been about large-scale alliance warfare, mining rocks in space, and shooting player or NPC ships in space.

Mission Runners, (Farmers), Miners (Farmers), and Alliance Fleets in a nutshell. There's also the players of the market and economy, and the players who just run around and do stuff. SC doesn't have the capacity for fleet warfare EVE has, nor is it expected to have farmable missions in the sense EVE does. Neither is it really expected to have the mass player driven economy EVE has.

What it does have, is the ability to move about as a player character, get in ships and fly them here and there, wander about inside them, board or repel boarders on your ships, shoot other ships or objects in space. Also: wander about on planetary locations and interact with other players, shoot other players in first person combat if you so desire and happen to be somewhere that is possible.

Also available: have your character die a grisly death, (permanently), explore space and venture into territory dominated by alien species that are potentially hostile, trade, etc.. A lot really. Quite a bit left to be determined.

It isn't EVE, and the general consensus is that nobody wants it to be. Not even remotely.

zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub