These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Team Avatar and the future of our prototype

First post First post First post
Author
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#3061 - 2013-12-02 17:10:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Dersen Lowery
Teinyhr wrote:
Dersen Lowery wrote:
Now, consider adding avatar gameplay to a game designed around 1 second ticks, while that game is running,

RTFT already. The CQ does not work on 1 second tics, it is an instance of sorts inside the server, meaning it does not work straight through Tranquility which is why having a realtime vista to the station undock is hard if not impossible to implement at this time.

My point exactly. CQ is not avatar gameplay; it's a tech demo. Implementing MMO avatar gameplay in an MMO whose engine is built around 1 second ticks is a hard problem.

You're aware that the many improvements to the CARBON engine--you know, the one that runs on 1 second ticks--were made in preparation for avatar gameplay, right? If not, go read some dev blogs. You might also learn that Atlanta had to fork the CARBON engine to get it to work with WoD, which strongly implies that the current EVE engine is not up to the task of doing avatar gameplay well.

I agree that "it's a hard problem" is not an excuse, it is a fact which has to be planned around. This is pretty much what the Atlanta office has been doing.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

Hendelse
State Protectorate
Caldari State
#3062 - 2013-12-02 18:13:30 UTC
I just want to play some poker ingame.. :(

Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#3063 - 2013-12-02 20:30:29 UTC
Eli Green wrote:
Implying that fans of WiS want an unfinished/poorly thought out implementation of it.

No I don't, but I do imply that what player base got as WiS on 21 June 2011 was unfinished and poorly thought out.

Sura Sadiva wrote:

And we're all glad of this.
However here we were trying to make some point about the game development and future more than about someone personal experience. Anyway thank you for sharing.

Now if we check the "All Time (weekly average)" stats we notice this:

EVE has a steady growth from the beginning till about 2007.
Then we have a stronger growth roughly coincident with the Trinity - Apocrypha (2009) expansions (some of the best expansions ever).

After this the players stabilize with peaks and fall but always around 30-35k average. There's no more growth, what changed? CCP started to reroute resources from EVE and focused on something else (Dust was officially announced in 2009); CCP is not SOny, or Blizzard, so to focus on all these new projects: Dust, WoD, a brand new avatar engine, recently Valkyrie, they had to progressively reduce the effort on EVE till a life-support (only tweaks, minor changes, needed fixes).

As the gameplay stopped to expand so did the playerbase, the up and down we see in the stats are mostly the same pool of players, with the ususal increase on activity after an expansion release, the down again and so on.

And I'm glad that you're glad, especially that with my help you could see what you couldn't earlier. P
Ok, all those silly comments aside.

You are right, and you could probably see that only after Retribution we went to the same level we were 3 years before (Incursion expansion). For 3 years CCP are trying to fix what they ignored by implementing "new and shiny" every expansion and it will take them probably 2 more years to fix what they should have done long time ago.

I do think that it is a hell of a lot of time and I would certainly like them to work faster, but at the same time I do think that fixing broken stuff is a necessity and it can't be postponed any longer.

Sura Sadiva wrote:
The point is not if tweaks, fixes, micro-balanced are good, of course they are, and we should stop stating the obvious; the point is if they're alone enough to push a growth. The stats show the countrary. Despite any personal case.

Yes, I agree.

And what would you like to see in this pushing growth expansion? Exposition WiS? Shooty WiS? More new space for FiS? Is Seagull's vision has any potential to be this pushing growth expansion in your opinion?

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
So according to you, features are not intended to please those who pay for them? You should warn CCP, they're wasting a lot of dev time talking to players, while according to you they should just shove their ideas down the player's throats more than they already do.

It's not exactly wise to invest in a improved fidelization program and refurbishing the rooms when your hotel is emptying because 90% of your potential customers never make it past the hall and you're known for being old and riddled with meanies.

No, according to me WiS is a part of EVE client and until it is a part of said client what is "meaningful" and what is not should be decided by player base of EVE the game, not by some ephemeral players willing to pay for WiS only.

90% of this "potential" customers were probably looking for a shopping mall and stumbled upon your hotel by mistake.

Hemi DarkStar wrote:

The avatar creation system is one of the best ones out there, if not...THE best.

People that play MMO's love making their avatars. But new players of EVE feel a bit cheated after they spend 30 minutes creating it. From a programmer's viewpoint I can see problems regarding netcode and what will happen if say you have too many of these Hres characters running around in a station, but it's far from impossible to pull off. If I had a say I would start with making a boardroom were CEO's and their flock can arrange meetings etc, with a cap limit of say 16 players.

APB's creation/customization system is interesting too, and maybe EVE can learn something useful from it.

And what will they do in this boardroom, walk around and look at beautiful exposition surrounding them?

I would like to see WiS, but bigger rooms with nothing to do in them and a couple of different colored textures that we could squeeze our avatars in is not the answer in my opinion, sorry. But then again if said things were implemented to Rubicon on top of what expansion already delivered I certainly wouldn't object even if I see them as not useful.

Ou, and do you really think that this new boardroom will bring new players who will stay more than for a month in EVE?
Hemi DarkStar
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#3064 - 2013-12-02 20:48:51 UTC
Quote:
and do you really think that this new boardroom will bring new players who will stay more than for a month in EVE?

No, but as I said...it could be the start. And yes, merely a boardroom would be boring. But if it's the start of a walking in station expanding EVE experience, then I'm all for it. And that would certainly spark the interest and imagination of new players.
Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#3065 - 2013-12-02 21:08:54 UTC
Hemi DarkStar wrote:
Quote:
and do you really think that this new boardroom will bring new players who will stay more than for a month in EVE?

No, but as I said...it could be the start. And yes, merely a boardroom would be boring. But if it's the start of a walking in station expanding EVE experience, then I'm all for it. And that would certainly spark the interest and imagination of new players.

Add to that boardroom ability to conjure up the map for all to see as well as highlighting systems (drawing lines, et cetera). Also there could be option to display various stats, corporate hangar inventory and so on and so forth. Stuff that might be of use during meetings - and outside meetings too.

As my old maths teacher used to say: "Statistics are like bikinis: It's what they don't show that's interesting". -CCP Aporia

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#3066 - 2013-12-02 21:36:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Little Dragon Khamez
Anna Karhunen wrote:
Hemi DarkStar wrote:
Quote:

Add to that boardroom ability to conjure up the map for all to see as well as highlighting systems (drawing lines, et cetera). Also there could be option to display various stats, corporate hangar inventory and so on and so forth. Stuff that might be of use during meetings - and outside meetings too.

I'd add to that a special class of planet side jump clones so that you could dock in stations and jump to the surface of whatever planet your planet side jc is on. This would cause a pc/mac version of the dust client to load and allow us to interact with dust players, either playing with them or against them (though obviously dust bunnies would be tougher than any capsuleer) but it would of course be a genuine bridge between the two communities and a fulfilment of CCP's fighting on planets promise, all without having to touch the carbon engine that has been problematic for CCP without having to affect the eve game at all. Perhaps CCP should start knitting together the stuff they've already made as optional expansion packs for the eve client.

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#3067 - 2013-12-03 01:13:47 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:

You are right, and you could probably see that only after Retribution we went to the same level we were 3 years before (Incursion expansion). For 3 years CCP are trying to fix what they ignored by implementing "new and shiny" every expansion and it will take them probably 2 more years to fix what they should have done long time ago.

Yes, but are only temporary peaks, we see the good expansion effects on a medium/long term. In example Incursions: the highest peak in EVE expansion but after the peak there's a rapid fall to the usual average. This doesn't mean was a good expansion, but prove it adressed an area felt as important by the playerbase and for this reason generated huge hype and expectations.

But then CCP was unable to deliver it properly or to capitalize on it. But only because CCP did it wrong doesn't mean the need adressed is wrong.

The last expansion able to push a peak and turn it in a stable growth was Apocrypha. After it is all up and down but always around the same average. Yes, Retribution and Rubicon are better expansion than others, Odissey is one of the worst ever, but in the end we're always there.

Periodically mantainence expansion like Crucibble are needed. But if the whole game devleopment is replaced by a simple, never ending maintianence, for years, this only suggests the Company has no more interest or no resources to keep the game alive and growing.

Cesha Xenon
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#3068 - 2013-12-03 04:16:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Cesha Xenon
Sura Sadiva wrote:
this only suggests the Company has no more interest or no resources to keep the game alive and growing
Eve had been up and running for a decade now. CCP could be fed up with it for all we know. The 2nd decade of Eve was announced, CCP better prove it is still interested. So far they do maintenance and announce Plex deals one after another. "Steady eve subscription growth" - are you kidding me? Merely the metagaming - old players get more and more accounts to stay competitive.

And if devs or shareholders got tired of Eve, it sure as hell seems like they struggle finding something that could score 'em another jackpot.
Eve is looking like one hit wonder more and more with each expansion.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3069 - 2013-12-03 07:57:12 UTC
Cesha Xenon wrote:
Sura Sadiva wrote:
this only suggests the Company has no more interest or no resources to keep the game alive and growing
Eve had been up and running for a decade now. CCP could be fed up with it for all we know. The 2nd decade of Eve was announced, CCP better prove it is still interested. So far they do maintenance and announce Plex deals one after another. "Steady eve subscription growth" - are you kidding me? Merely the metagaming - old players get more and more accounts to stay competitive.

And if devs or shareholders got tired of Eve, it sure as hell seems like they struggle finding something that could score 'em another jackpot.
Eve is looking like one hit wonder more and more with each expansion.

That's my impression. CCP has done one single succesful video game -and what a success has been! But their ability to keep succeeding is being put to test with each themed patch.

Being aware that summer expansions are always weak compared to winter ones (probably because the summer expansion is crafted during the horrible Icelandic winter and that can't be good for productivity), and how CCP already stated that sovereignty will not be adressed for a year, I wonder what will be the outcome of the next expansion.

More reselling the game to existing customers, probably. This and that little odd detail working towards the Hallelujah Plan. And a few more toys to keep you busy for a few weeks until they're digested and assimilated to the daily sh*t (mobitle tractor unit anyone?).

And then... nothing else. Little things, but nothing you can sell to an acquitance in case you hate him enough to lure him to EVE. More of the same one hit wonder with a different arrangement.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Hemi DarkStar
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#3070 - 2013-12-03 14:11:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Hemi DarkStar
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Boardroom example

Maybe something like this. I used the press images from Dust 514. Map on the side could be used to plan a fleet route, were fleetmembers can all make suggestions possibly. Maybe even draw lines like Anna suggested.

The screen on the left side can maybe function as a fleet fitting viewer, were you can help others with their fit that wil suit the mission ahead.

The table in the middle could be used for trade and commerce, or just see each others ISIS plan.. so maybe other fleet members or friends can make training suggestions.

I removed the big screen in the middle, which is shown in the press image. You could place the news feed there like in the CQ.

It's not much, but I think interacting with the other avatars like this would immerse you in the game more imo. And it prefers function over disco dancing. Smile
Anna Karhunen
Inoue INEXP
#3071 - 2013-12-03 16:06:18 UTC
I like it. For corporate/alliance/coalition leadership there could also be option to see the locations of properly tagged fleets. Actually, since I don't have background in leading corporation, alliance or coalition it is better if someone who did have that gave suggestions on tools which might make their jobs more productive.

There could be other rooms too. "Battle Room" for teaching, planning and debriefing. Meeting room for negotiations (you don't want to bring neutrals and enemies to place where they could see fleet placements, do you?) and trades. And.... well, imagination is the limit.

As my old maths teacher used to say: "Statistics are like bikinis: It's what they don't show that's interesting". -CCP Aporia

Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#3072 - 2013-12-03 16:56:56 UTC
Sura Sadiva wrote:
Periodically mantainence expansion like Crucibble are needed. But if the whole game devleopment is replaced by a simple, never ending maintianence, for years, this only suggests the Company has no more interest or no resources to keep the game alive and growing.

Maybe, but then why do they link their new products to game that they have no more interest or no resources to keep alive and growing.
And then... nothing else. Little things, but nothing you can sell to an acquitance in case you hate him enough to lure him to EVE. More of the same one hit wonder with a different arrangement.

I get an impression from your posts you don't really like the game you are playing and paying for.

Hemi DarkStar wrote:
Boardroom example

Maybe something like this. I used the press images from Dust 514. Map on the side could be used to plan a fleet route, were fleetmembers can all make suggestions possibly. Maybe even draw lines like Anna suggested.

The screen on the left side can maybe function as a fleet fitting viewer, were you can help others with their fit that wil suit the mission ahead.

The table in the middle could be used for trade and commerce, or just see each others ISIS plan.. so maybe other fleet members or friends can make training suggestions.

I removed the big screen in the middle, which is shown in the press image. You could place the news feed there like in the CQ.

It's not much, but I think interacting with the other avatars like this would immerse you in the game more imo. And it prefers function over disco dancing. Smile

Impressive, and well thought out.
Davon Mandra'thin
Das Collective
#3073 - 2013-12-03 16:57:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Davon Mandra'thin
There were UI mock ups for a "Corporate Quarters", which I think was an awesome idea. All they would need was a slay table and a load of corporate interfaces, such as war boards etc. A twitch link screen would be amazing so that someone could co-FC from inside the corporate quarters. Or you could have a scout master for large blobs that watched all the streams from the scouts. That would have been fantastic. Awesome photoshop by the way Hemi.

Edit:

From a recent review CCP thought they would post on their facebook page:

Quote:
But though the game now allows you to walk the interiors of these structures, there's little humanity to be found inside. NPCs are still just portraits in the interface that proffer textual missions. Other players are just smaller portraits in your chat feed. The resultant sense of disembodiment impinges on every interaction in EVE.... Absent a few friendly faces, it's just not that easy to make regions with names like The Bleak Lands or Stain feel like home. Go figure.
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3074 - 2013-12-03 20:51:03 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:

I get an impression from your posts you don't really like the game you are playing and paying for.

He he.Cool

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Anomaly One
Doomheim
#3075 - 2013-12-03 21:07:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Anomaly One
Hemi DarkStar wrote:

Boardroom example

keep it up and you'll finish WiS before CCP does Lol

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

Eli Green
The Arrow Project
#3076 - 2013-12-03 23:35:47 UTC
Hemi DarkStar wrote:

Boardroom example

Looks awfully like the war room on the warbarge in Dust :p. That being said if you continue you'll have the racial variants before CCP lol.

wumbo

Jill Chastot
WE FORM BL0B Inc.
Goonswarm Federation
#3077 - 2013-12-04 02:50:40 UTC
Eli Green wrote:
Hemi DarkStar wrote:

Boardroom example

Looks awfully like the war room on the warbarge in Dust :p. That being said if you continue you'll have the racial variants before CCP lol.

"I used the press images from Dust 514"

I'll just leave this here

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=298596&find=unread OATHS wants you. Come to the WH "Safety in eve is the greatest fallacy you will ever encounter. Once you accept this you will truely enjoy this game."

Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#3078 - 2013-12-04 16:17:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Cygnet Lythanea
Davon Mandra'thin wrote:

Example, the new deployable depo can only be used by the character that deploys them. Which means they will never be useful to gangs except that one of the people in those gangs could change to suit the rest of them. The depo is entirely suited to solo play. Same with siphon, which allows small groups to attack the POSes of large alliances without there being any notifications for them.

You are not thinking of them in the right terms. You go hunting solo, find a nice target all by his lonesome. Used to be it was then over if he didn't have stabs fitted. Now he just fits stabs anywhere and and warp away. The only way to catch and hold anyone before they run now if solo is with bubbles.

Also, do you have any idea how many siphon would have to be running to noticeably impact the operations of a large alliance? The only people they put a serious crimp on are the ones that only have a few moons.

Davon Mandra'thin wrote:

Also the nullsec alliances rely quite heavily on new players. Being part of a blue blob doesn't take any skill. It's easy to shove a new character into the gang and give them simple commands. Align this gate, warp, jump. Align that gate, warp, dont jump, hold. Jump, align another gate, warp. Etc.

When was the last time you had a blue blob? Almost everything I see anymore is hot dropping the biggest cap fleet possible followed by a titan bridge. Set up a bunch of bubbles pr dictors on the gate, and a couple guys with cynos.
Davon Mandra'thin
Das Collective
#3079 - 2013-12-04 16:49:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Davon Mandra'thin
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:

You are not thinking of them in the right terms. You go hunting solo, find a nice target all by his lonesome. Used to be it was then over if he didn't have stabs fitted. Now he just fits stabs anywhere and and warp away. The only way to catch and hold anyone before they run now if solo is with bubbles.

So your saying that because you can't catch someone who is alone (read solo) it's a nerf to solo. Also, although it's irrelevant to my point (you just happen to require correcting on it), there is a timer when you deploy the depo. If you can't kill the depo (or the person) whilst it's deploying then your not fielding enough DPS anyway. And if you fail, then good for them (a solo player) for using their initiative.

Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Also, do you have any idea how many siphon would have to be running to noticeably impact the operations of a large alliance? The only people they put a serious crimp on are the ones that only have a few moons.

Of course it can. One person can't make an alliances' POS operations redundant single handedly (that would be stupid), but that one person alone can benefit at the expense of the alliance. Something that largely couldn't be done before. How you could see this as not a buff to solo/small gang play I have no idea. Besides If you had 100 people willing to cooperate efficiently you could bleed every Goonswarm POS in nullsec completely dry. The fact that a force so small could do that to a force more than 30 times it's size can't be viewed as anything but a buff to the little guys.
MechaViridis
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3080 - 2013-12-04 17:10:57 UTC
TEAM AVATAR PLEASE CONSIDER SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

http://www.mostimpressive.nl/boardroom.jpg

I would love to interact with dust bunnies while watching ships fight on the undock.