These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Team Avatar and the future of our prototype

First post First post First post
Author
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3041 - 2013-12-01 17:22:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Ashlar Vellum wrote:
Sura Sadiva wrote:

Tweaking, fixing, small improvements, this is all good and needed, but it only caters to a playerbase that is already fine with the game, do not expand the gameplay nor the playerbase: I don't see someone that never played EVE willing to give a try because "oh wow, now they changing the warp speed, I've to try this game" nor I see an old player coming back because "wow, they nerfing T3, I've to come back to EVE"

I completely disagree.

I unsubbed about 2 months after Odyssey hit TQ, 'cause it is probably the weakest expansion CCP did in my opinion. And came back after reading "oh wow, now they changing the warp speed" and about CCP's poorly planned, but still interesting event.

And yes, I think Rubicon is a solid expansion, so kudos to CCP for it.

I think you missed a important line:

I don't see someone that never played EVE willing to give a try because "oh wow, now they changing the warp speed, I've to try this game"

Maybe you should look at Rubicon with the eyes of a non-player?

>>Mobile structures: Houm... sounds cool, but have no clue of what do they mean. Question
Ghost Sites: oh, nice! That sounds like dungeons, dungeons are cool! Pirate
Sisters of EVE faction ships: huh... more ships? Didn't that game have like hundreds of ships? Question
Guerrilla style warfare: Whaaat? Shocked
Hi-Sec Customs Offices: Whaaat? Shocked
Warp changes: So, ships are faster or what? Were they too slow or what? What?
ISIS your personal guide to ships of EVE: wow, that's cool! Cool
Certificate overhaul: certificates? Are those like achievements? Achievements are cool! Smile
Rebalancing and roles: oh come on, I can't even name a single ship of that game... Roll
Character screen update: oh.Straight
Additional features: oh.Straight

So, after Rubicon you should try EVE because...

- it has got new dungeons!
- it has got a ships guide!
- it has got a new achievements system!>>

(Warning: two of the above are serious misunderstandings of what is really going on) Roll

There is no wonder that the game stagnates despite the ever increasing marketing expense. Spaceships & spreadsheets alone are not enough.

Incarna was a medicine the game needed to heal its conditions. Instead of that, Incarna poisoned the game... but the conditions persist, and Incarna, properly formulated and delivered, still is the cure. Delaying it for God knows how many years is a luxury the game can't afford.

Roses are red / Violets are blue / I am an Alpha / And so it's you

Anabella Rella
Gradient
Electus Matari
#3042 - 2013-12-01 17:43:16 UTC
I agree with Ishtanchuk. Tweaking and rebalancing are great and should be an ongoing priority but, where is the fresh content? What new and exciting feature(s) have CCP rolled out lately that would encourage someone who's never played to want to subscribe? We really haven't gotten any major additions of fresh content or game play since wormholes were introduced.

It's time for CCP to come out of "Post-Incarna Traumatic Syndrome" and give us something bold and fresh along with iteration. Having the industry's coolest forum portrait generator and re-hashing of old content just aren't very compelling reasons to shell out $15 a month.

When the world is running down, you make the best of what's still around.

Hemi DarkStar
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#3043 - 2013-12-01 20:37:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Hemi DarkStar
EVE needs WiS. New players are afraid of even trying the 21 day trail, lol. They see it as a chore, haha. Games should never feel like a chore, and offer alternatives so the simple folk can have some fun too. If the goal is to get more new players to the game then WiS is simply the easiest method. :-)
Ashlar Vellum
Esquire Armaments
#3044 - 2013-12-01 23:49:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Ashlar Vellum
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:

I don't see someone that never played EVE willing to give a try because "oh wow, now they changing the warp speed, I've to try this game"

I was referring to last part of the post:

"nor I see an old player coming back because "wow, they nerfing T3, I've to come back to EVE"".

I am this old player Sura Sadiva wrote about, I re-subbed because "oh wow, now they changing the warp speed, I've to come back to EVE" (and CCP's event) literally.

Are you sure that this player you are talking about is "EVE material" so to say. Player that you are talking about never searched for EVE game experience in the first place.

So maybe I should look at Rubicon with the eyes of a non-eve player and a person who is searching for the sandbox experience.

Let's start:

Mobile structures:
Sounds cool, I will go and read about it on the main page:
"fitting facilities and storage space"; "last for weeks"; "ideal for personal ops";
Are you telling me I will have my own portable little station/base? This is awesome!Big smile

Ghost Sites:
Oh, nice and sounds cool! Something about hacking, exploring and pirates. Interesting, I would definitely want to try it when I'll subscribe.Smile

Sisters of EVE faction ships:
More ships? Didn't that game have like, hundreds of ships? So wait, wait a minute ... now I will have even more options to choose from. Awesome, I will certainly find something I would love to fly.Smile

Guerrilla style warfare:
What? Need to check expansion page again:
"disrupt production and steal materials from Player-owned Structures"
Ok ... can steal from old and wealthy players now, right? hehe up yours vets!Big smilePirate

Hi-Sec Customs Offices:
Whaaat? What is this Customs Offices they are talking about? I better check main page, 'cause I want to learn what I can do in this game.
"ship goods down to the planet surface"; "blow up the InterBus office and build your own in its place"; "to keep collecting taxes "
I can build my own stuff and connect it to a planet to have space/planet economy of some sort and then tax it? That sounds complex and interesting unlike any other game I have ever played. Smile

Warp changes:
So, ships are faster or what?
"Small ships will now reach speed and decelerate faster, with the opposite holding true for the lumbering beasts at the other end of the spectrum."
So, what is small - will be faster and what is huge - will be slower, just like in rl. cool!Smile

ISIS your personal guide to ships of EVE:
wow, that's cool! Apparently EVE is not so hard!Lol

Certificate overhaul:
Certificates? Going to check what those are on Rubicon's expansion page.
"to aid in planning out what skills you need to achieve your goals"
lol, I heard people say that EVE is hard to learn, but how can it be when you have certificates.Smile
(certs are still useless =/ imho)
(btw. game achievements are horrible!)

Rebalancing and roles:
"Marauders"; "Interceptors"; "Electronic Attack Ships"; "Electronic Attack Ships"
I have no idea what they're talking about, but "improved and role expanded" sounds good.Cool

Character screen update:
Oh ... ooook. Facelift for an old system I guess.Straight

Additional features:
"Graphics and Sound"
for a 10 year old game it looks fantastic.Big smile

So, after Rubicon you should try EVE if you...

- are looking for a sandbox mmo.
- want to have your little portable base
- want to explore new dangerous and challenging sites
- like space ships and think that more options is better than less
- want to be a space thief/robinhood
- want your own space/planet economy thingy
- think that bigger = slower and smaller = faster actually makes sense
- thought you would be lost without a sensible guide in all those ship choices before

and Incarna, properly formulated and delivered, still is the cure.

Not with comments like "definition of "meaningful" should be left to the players willing to pay for WiS." it isn't.

Delaying it for God knows how many years is a luxury the game can't afford.

Luxury the game can't afford is implementing more unfinished and poorly thought out features.

You don't build a second floor of your house when foundation are crumbling, windows seems crooked and walls are about to fall down.
Eli Green
The Arrow Project
#3045 - 2013-12-02 01:25:14 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:
Luxury the game can't afford is implementing more unfinished and poorly thought out features.

>Implying that fans of WiS want an unfinished/poorly thought out implementation of it.

wumbo

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#3046 - 2013-12-02 01:45:50 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:

I am this old player Sura Sadiva wrote about, I re-subbed because "oh wow, now they changing the warp speed, I've to come back to EVE" (and CCP's event) literally.

And we're all glad of this.

However here we were trying to make some point about the game development and future more than about someone personal experience. Anyway thank you for sharing.

Now if we check the "All Time (weekly average)" stats we notice this:

EVE has a steady growth from the beginning till about 2007.
Then we have a stronger growth roughly coincident with the Trinity - Apocrypha (2009) expansions (some of the best expansions ever).

After this the players stabilize with peaks and fall but always around 30-35k average. There's no more growth, what changed? CCP started to reroute resources from EVE and focused on something else (Dust was officially announced in 2009); CCP is not SOny, or Blizzard, so to focus on all these new projects: Dust, WoD, a brand new avatar engine, recently Valkyrie, they had to progressively reduce the effort on EVE till a life-support (only tweaks, minor changes, needed fixes).

As the gameplay stopped to expand so did the playerbase, the up and down we see in the stats are mostly the same pool of players, with the ususal increase on activity after an expansion release, the down again and so on.

The point is not if tweaks, fixes, micro-balanced are good, of course they are, and we should stop stating the obvious; the point is if they're alone enough to push a growth. The stats show the countrary. Despite any personal case.

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3047 - 2013-12-02 07:52:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Ashlar Vellum wrote:

and Incarna, properly formulated and delivered, still is the cure.

Not with comments like "definition of "meaningful" should be left to the players willing to pay for WiS." it isn't.

So according to you, features are not intended to please those who pay for them? You should warn CCP, they're wasting a lot of dev time talking to players, while according to you they should just shove their ideas down the player's throats more than they already do.

Quote:
Delaying it for God knows how many years is a luxury the game can't afford.

You don't build a second floor of your house when foundation are crumbling, windows seems crooked and walls are about to fall down.

It's not exactly wise to invest in a improved fidelization program and refurbishing the rooms when your hotel is emptying because 90% of your potential customers never make it past the hall and you're known for being old and riddled with meanies.

Also it is unwise to start building other hotels while your property is in desperate need of a larger share of the income it generates.

Hemi DarkStar
Dreddit
#3048 - 2013-12-02 08:06:37 UTC
Ashlar Vellum wrote:

I was referring to last part of the post:

"nor I see an old player coming back because "wow, they nerfing T3, I've to come back to EVE"".

Are you sure that this player you are talking about is "EVE material" so to say. Player that you are talking about never searched for EVE game experience in the first place.

So maybe I should look at Rubicon with the eyes of a non-eve player and a person who is searching for the sandbox experience.

Let's start:

Mobile structures:
Sounds cool, I will go and read about it on the main page:
"fitting facilities and storage space"; "last for weeks"; "ideal for personal ops";
Are you telling me I will have my own portable little station/base? This is awesome!Big smile

Ghost Sites:
Oh, nice and sounds cool! Something about hacking, exploring and pirates. Interesting, I would definitely want to try it when I'll subscribe.Smile

Sisters of EVE faction ships:
More ships? Didn't that game have like, hundreds of ships? So wait, wait a minute ... now I will have even more options to choose from. Awesome, I will certainly find something I would love to fly.Smile

Guerrilla style warfare:
What? Need to check expansion page again:
"disrupt production and steal materials from Player-owned Structures"
Ok ... can steal from old and wealthy players now, right? hehe up yours vets!Big smilePirate

Hi-Sec Customs Offices:
Whaaat? What is this Customs Offices they are talking about? I better check main page, 'cause I want to learn what I can do in this game.
"ship goods down to the planet surface"; "blow up the InterBus office and build your own in its place"; "to keep collecting taxes "
I can build my own stuff and connect it to a planet to have space/planet economy of some sort and then tax it? That sounds complex and interesting unlike any other game I have ever played. Smile

Warp changes:
So, ships are faster or what?
"Small ships will now reach speed and decelerate faster, with the opposite holding true for the lumbering beasts at the other end of the spectrum."
So, what is small - will be faster and what is huge - will be slower, just like in rl. cool!Smile

ISIS your personal guide to ships of EVE:
wow, that's cool! Apparently EVE is not so hard!Lol

Certificate overhaul:
Certificates? Going to check what those are on Rubicon's expansion page.
"to aid in planning out what skills you need to achieve your goals"
lol, I heard people say that EVE is hard to learn, but how can it be when you have certificates.Smile
(certs are still useless =/ imho)
(btw. game achievements are horrible!)

Rebalancing and roles:
"Marauders"; "Interceptors"; "Electronic Attack Ships"; "Electronic Attack Ships"
I have no idea what they're talking about, but "improved and role expanded" sounds good.Cool

Character screen update:
Oh ... ooook. Facelift for an old system I guess.Straight

Additional features:
"Graphics and Sound"
for a 10 year old game it looks fantastic.Big smile

This is slightly biased m8. I've shown the specs for Rubicon to some of the possible new pilots that I try to recruit, and none of them seem to really grasp what the changes are. Maybe that makes them unsuitable to even start playing EVE...but it also raises the question if EVE needs something more then just spaceships and spreadsheets.

For instance the customs office overhaul is a total mystery to them. ISIS was simply recieved as another extra spreadsheet (while we know better of course :-) ). The warp changes didn't do much since those people didn't have anything to compare it with, and if you start fresh now...you wouldn't know the difference anyway. That goes for most of the new features. If you haven't played EVE before, you wouldn't know the difference.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rubicon. It's just not an expansion that can get those new players playing EVE. It just services the current and established pilots that already know how the game works.

The avatar creation system is one of the best ones out there, if not...THE best. But at it's current state it could easy just be replaced with a picture select system. It has no other function then the picture you see above my name on the boards atm, and to me...that is a waste. Why even tempt the players with a captain quarters if that door is going to be closed untill EVE II arrives.

People that play MMO's love making their avatars. But new players of EVE feel a bit cheated after they spend 30 minutes creating it. From a programmer's viewpoint I can see problems regarding netcode and what will happen if say you have too many of these Hres characters running around in a station, but it's far from impossible to pull off. If I had a say I would start with making a boardroom were CEO's and their flock can arrange meetings etc, with a cap limit of say 16 players. Start off small and slowly build towards gambeling / trade / leisure spots and other lore expanding traits.
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#3049 - 2013-12-02 08:56:25 UTC
What Odyssey and Rubicon have improved is retention of newbies. Since Crucible, a new pilot has become increasingly more useful in the field. Most T1 ships don't suck anymore, you can be useful in your week one in an Incursus, Merlin, Slasher, Condor, Atron... you name it. Month-two in maybe you can get into a solid cruiser with decent support skills.

Prior to that there seemed to be only one frigate: Rifter. While in a fleet you'd be able to swing it with meta, solo pretty much required you to have T2 guns since the Rifter had to have range control over an enemy (+week of training time before you can pvp). Oh and support skills, including AWU. Add another week. And better start thinking about earning money pal, because that will set you back 10 million and you will lose it to a pirate in five minutes. Have the money to buy five and lose them... fifty mil, how much is that in L1 missions? Or mining?

Since Odyssey, newbie explorers have become commonplace as well - those guys can pull that fifty million out of low/null using a frigate that costs less than a million. That beats running L1/L2 missions, mining in a belt and gets people to earn money quickly. Moreover, it actually gets them into the right mindset: if I go out into ~the dangerzone~ and am smart, ballsy enough to make it out of there alive - I may earn a lot of money! Risk = reward! Fortune favors the bold!

Retention is good. Setting the right mindset, "those who risk can profit or die trying" is good. Getting more new players is also a good idea, every game needs to grow, but you also need to keep them. You're not going to keep them by replacing solid, balanced mechanics with shoddily implemented WiS, full of promises "it will be good one day!"

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Hemi DarkStar
Dreddit
#3050 - 2013-12-02 09:13:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Hemi DarkStar
Nobody said it should be done "shoddy"

All the things you pointed out is not enough to pickup new players, and the number of players today kinda reflect this. A possible new pilot needs to be persuaded before it even knows what a Rifter is. Yes there has been allot of new features that support the role of the newbie, but does this reflect in an increase in players over the last few months?

WiS has little effect on FiS if implemented in a delicate and propper way. Expanding on it should not be rushed and possibly spread out over several expansions, like the changes to FiS imo.
Trii Seo
Goonswarm Federation
#3051 - 2013-12-02 10:25:17 UTC
Currently made changes to FiS are balancing. Balancing consists of Fozzie, Rise and a bunch of test dummies on a test server cooking up a way to make a ship good without breaking it.

WiS is a massive technical undertaking, and there are more pressing matters on the table. It can't be slowly implemented over the course of several expansions - while content for it may be, someone has to write a functional backend for it. Currently there likely is no backend - WiS is a clientside interface.

You'd have to pull devs away from the promised POS revamp and "war on lag" to do it. Neglect of those matters (promises and issues that lingered from since before Incarna, mind you) was what contributed in a major way to the Summer of Rage.

As I said - yeah, maybe the idea of walking around in a station may attract a few people. But then you need them to stay and progress through the game, enjoy it (...and start alts, possibly, what's EVE without alts) then take part in the stories that make it popular. If the game has literally no content besides running around doing nothing, it'll be a short trip for them - especially when it comes to a lengthy game like this one.

There's one saying about EVE I heard a lot, "It's more fun to hear stories about than actually play." - CCP seems to be working on changing that fact. And good.

Proud pilot of the Imperium

Arek'Jaalan: Heliograph

Sura Sadiva
Entropic Tactical Crew
#3052 - 2013-12-02 10:43:55 UTC
Oh and let me add about this:

Ashlar Vellum wrote:

Here I agree with you, but we're talking about finish some unfinished and poorly implemented feature. WiS IS part of EVE fundation design, since the very beginning of this game.

There're 3 major fail expansions: Dominion, Incursions, Incarna. All these expansions tried to adress a specific core weakness in EVE gameplay: territorial warefare and gameplay (Dominion), lack of a decent PVE (Incursions), Player "housing" and avatar gameplay (Incarna).

These 3 expansion faild - for different reasons - to deliver what strongly asked by the players and needed for the gameplay. If CCP did it wrong and faild to deliver doesn't means that those needs are satisfated or vanished; still today all the major weaknes actually in EVE gameplay are directly or indirectly related to this areas.

CCP should go back to work just on the critical areas where they faild and fix/iterate/rewrite; is fundation, is stragegic/long term stuff. And who love should try to consider not only what is good for our personal idea of gameplay becuase such approach is not going to work.

Everyone understand as working on these 3 areas of the game is "hard". But is hard only cause CCP is focused on something else, move allt he resources from Dust, Valkirye and WoD back to EVE and you'd be surprise to discover what CCP can do in a 6 months cycle.

Lipbite
Express Hauler
#3053 - 2013-12-02 11:06:54 UTC
Couple days ago on Reddit someone posted thread "what would you want in EVE 2?" Most upvoted answer was "doors that works".

It's interesting how community finally settled with idea how WiS is not only interesting but a must have feature for a sci-fi game (despite devs' attempts to persuade community how EVE is "cheap spaceships PvP only").
Davon Mandra'thin
Das Collective
#3054 - 2013-12-02 13:29:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Davon Mandra'thin
Trii Seo wrote:

WiS is a massive technical undertaking, and there are more pressing matters on the table. It can't be slowly implemented over the course of several expansions - while content for it may be, someone has to write a functional backend for it. Currently there likely is no backend - WiS is a clientside interface.

You'd have to pull devs away from the promised POS revamp and "war on lag" to do it. Neglect of those matters (promises and issues that lingered from since before Incarna, mind you) was what contributed in a major way to the Summer of Rage.

On the contrary, because Eve has a long complicated legacy back end, new content is easier to develop. As we see with the release of the new deployables that will (or so we are told) replace the old POS system. Avatar content is a blank state. When dealing with lots of old legacy code, starting from fresh is easier.

As for having to pull devs away from Eve things. This has already happened in favor of things no one in Eve will benefit from. You would still complain if devs came back from those projects to work on avatar content, and you would probably also fail to see the hypocrisy of your whining.

Trii Seo wrote:
If the game has literally no content besides running around doing nothing, it'll be a short trip for them.

Everyone has made it clear that they don't want this. Why do you even bring it up? This thread itself is literally testament to people not wanting that. It is the entire purpose of this thread for that not to happen. If your not going to follow the arguments and logic in this thread, why even respond? You might as well just be talking to a wall.
Anomaly One
Doomheim
#3055 - 2013-12-02 13:37:22 UTC
Lipbite wrote:
Couple days ago on Reddit someone posted thread "what would you want in EVE 2?" Most upvoted answer was "doors that works".

It's interesting how community finally settled with idea how WiS is not only interesting but a must have feature for a sci-fi game (despite devs' attempts to persuade community how EVE is "cheap spaceships PvP only").

Interesting idd, maybe a cause of this is SC? EVE players saw the hangars and said "oh I want one gimme gimme gimme!" P (for the record I think WiS WHEN -not if- properly implemented in EvE will outclass it)

woah

and I COMPLETELY agree with this, you know how many new players you will draw in CCP if you made a whole expansion on WiS and made it's trailer accordingly?

although CCP can implement it with just small iterations every now and then..
it would be better to make it into it's own full expansion with its proper advertisements this will get more players to try EVE when they see it (small changes would go unnoticed except to the current playerbase)

I heard you like visions ? well get to it! WiS can be soooo much more if you just start working on it, and if you think about it it's much more logical to start working on WiS NOW since SC is coming out, NEW PLAYERS ARE MORE INTERESTED IN THIS THAN NEW SPACE!! (seriously what does new space mean for new players?) you need something more to draw them in at first.

1.implement WiS
2. Obliterate SC (sc players will cry, can't we have what EVE HAS!!!)
3. laugh maniaclly as an influx of new players trys out EVE and hilmar bathes in $$$
4. Continue developing more space
5.???
6. Profit

Trust me CCP, i'm an Anomaly Blink

Never forget. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8sfaN8zT8E http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l_ZjVyRxx4 Trust me, I'm an Anomaly. DUST 514 FOR PC

Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
#3056 - 2013-12-02 13:57:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Ishtanchuk Fazmarai
Hemi DarkStar wrote:
(...)

The avatar creation system is one of the best ones out there, if not...THE best. But at it's current state it could easy just be replaced with a picture select system. It has no other function then the picture you see above my name on the boards atm, and to me...that is a waste. Why even tempt the players with a captain quarters if that door is going to be closed untill EVE II arrives.

People that play MMO's love making their avatars. But new players of EVE feel a bit cheated after they spend 30 minutes creating it. From a programmer's viewpoint I can see problems regarding netcode and what will happen if say you have too many of these Hres characters running around in a station, but it's far from impossible to pull off. If I had a say I would start with making a boardroom were CEO's and their flock can arrange meetings etc, with a cap limit of say 16 players. Start off small and slowly build towards gambeling / trade / leisure spots and other lore expanding traits.

Well, there was a interesting litle patch note with Odyssey 1.1., here it is:

http://community.eveonline.com/news/patch-notes/patch-notes-for-odyssey-1.1

Quote:

New players will be placed either in the Captain's Quarters or in the hangar when starting into the game. This will help researching the impact of the start location for new players.

We are left to wonder whether they mean it as "looking for a reason to expand the CQ" or "looking for a reason to get rid of the CQ", though.

Daydreaming, we can think of what could be the NPE if the new player spawned at the CQ, and Aura told him to walk to the balcony and said: "this is your first ship, it is called a (insert name). Opening this tab (points it), you can check its contents; you will see, it is already armed with a civilian weapon. Civilian weapons do not require a specific skill to use them, whereas more powerful weapons need them. To check your skills..."

And all the while the noob is looking at his avatar, understanding how this is a game about human who fly ships... and more things to come if CCP gets their sh*t right.

Hemi DarkStar
Dreddit
#3057 - 2013-12-02 14:21:11 UTC
I always start in the CQ. Did so from the start. For me it's a matter of immersion. I think I only started the hanger 2 times by accident lol.

Atm the avatar radiates a sense of loneliness and gives you the feeling that the vastness of space outside is a dangerous place. Standing in front of your ship looks so badass, just imagine if you could share this with your corp friends. Or just sit and watch the screens while chatting away on a slow night.

It doesn't have to have all the crazy gambeling disco dancing stuff like in other MMO's. Eve's avatar leisuring could simply be Corp meetings, or visiting a friend in his CQ.
Cygnet Lythanea
World Welfare Works Association
#3058 - 2013-12-02 14:29:47 UTC
Malcanis wrote:

This was nothing to do with "alliances".

Malcanis, rather bluntly, yes it was. I watched major alliances in a foot race to try and sew up Plasma worlds in PI, Of the things released this expansion, the only one that did not benefit Alliances, particularly low and null sec ones, more than anyone else, was the tractor beam deployable.

Ghost site spawns seem to be overwhelmingly nullsec (latest estimates I've seen were 4-5 sites across the entirety of Empire at any one time, vs 6 or more per nullsec region).

The new ship is available more cheaply in null sec (meaning 'to goonswarm' in this case) .

The new depot deployable heavily nerfs solo pvp in low and null sec in favor of large gangs. The other one penalizes unwatched POS moon sites. Now these do have uses for players other than Alliances, don't get me wrong, but the biggest benefit is theirs.

And this has been going on for years.

If you stop and look at the numbers, something like 1/5th of EvE players are in a nullsec alliance. 4/5ths live in empire. If you look at expansions overall since launch, 20% of players have gotten 60% of content. Now, I understand that eve is all about Risk v Reward, but the way it's handled tends to alienate new players after a few months. Because those nullsec alliances don't want noobs, typically, they want seasoned players, this has led to the current plateau in server population.

We need more accessible content in empire. Not necessarily better paying content, but enough content to actually keep players hooked until they can go on to do alliances. Or whatever.
Davon Mandra'thin
Das Collective
#3059 - 2013-12-02 15:16:51 UTC
Cygnet Lythanea wrote:
Malcanis wrote:

This was nothing to do with "alliances".

Malcanis, rather bluntly, yes it was. I watched major alliances in a foot race to try and sew up Plasma worlds in PI, Of the things released this expansion, the only one that did not benefit Alliances, particularly low and null sec ones, more than anyone else, was the tractor beam deployable.

Ghost site spawns seem to be overwhelmingly nullsec (latest estimates I've seen were 4-5 sites across the entirety of Empire at any one time, vs 6 or more per nullsec region).

The new ship is available more cheaply in null sec (meaning 'to goonswarm' in this case) .

The new depot deployable heavily nerfs solo pvp in low and null sec in favor of large gangs. The other one penalizes unwatched POS moon sites. Now these do have uses for players other than Alliances, don't get me wrong, but the biggest benefit is theirs.

And this has been going on for years.

If you stop and look at the numbers, something like 1/5th of EvE players are in a nullsec alliance. 4/5ths live in empire. If you look at expansions overall since launch, 20% of players have gotten 60% of content. Now, I understand that eve is all about Risk v Reward, but the way it's handled tends to alienate new players after a few months. Because those nullsec alliances don't want noobs, typically, they want seasoned players, this has led to the current plateau in server population.

We need more accessible content in empire. Not necessarily better paying content, but enough content to actually keep players hooked until they can go on to do alliances. Or whatever.

Although I more or less agree with the fact that CCP has made a lot of changes that benefit large alliances primarily, I can't help but point out that your examples are terribly inaccurate.

Example, the new deployable depo can only be used by the character that deploys them. Which means they will never be useful to gangs except that one of the people in those gangs could change to suit the rest of them. The depo is entirely suited to solo play. Same with siphon, which allows small groups to attack the POSes of large alliances without there being any notifications for them.

Also the nullsec alliances rely quite heavily on new players. Being part of a blue blob doesn't take any skill. It's easy to shove a new character into the gang and give them simple commands. Align this gate, warp, jump. Align that gate, warp, dont jump, hold. Jump, align another gate, warp. Etc.
Teinyhr
Ourumur
#3060 - 2013-12-02 16:23:53 UTC
Trii Seo wrote:
As I said - yeah, maybe the idea of walking around in a station may attract a few people. But then you need them to stay and progress through the game, enjoy it (...and start alts, possibly, what's EVE without alts) then take part in the stories that make it popular. If the game has literally no content besides running around doing nothing, it'll be a short trip for them - especially when it comes to a lengthy game like this one.

Pray tell how do you progress throught the game, when this game has no set goals, aside from those you set for yourself? Also now more or less actively playing for a bit over seven years, in my experience, this game literally has no content unless you are willing to join alliances - or very very large corporations, or small corporations with really really big balls. Not necessarily even nullsec ones, I also mean FW alliances, highsec alliances. To be a solo player (and truly solo - no alts) is just to be bullied around by everyone and everything. "Oh, but it's an MMMO! You're supposed to play with others!" True enough, but what about the sandbox? Cant I socialize on my own terms?

Now, this is, like, a crazy idea, but maybe, just maybe EVE could do with content that doesn't revolve around extremely large groups of players and that has PVP - at least in the form of beating the snot out of fellow plyer avatars - forbidden. Could have more immersive PvE - just like outlined in the first post in this thread. I'm more convinced than ever that EVE needs WiS - properly implemented, with something to do, but no absolute requirement to do it.