These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Unified Inventory Changes

First post First post First post
Author
Selissa Shadoe
#101 - 2012-05-23 16:52:00 UTC
Ampoliros wrote:
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Oxandrolone wrote:
Quote:
We’re going to allow renaming of all POS structures, this should let players navigate more easily in the tree view, instead of a large group of identical items.
\o/

does this mean only in the inventory window or mean we can rename SMA's and CHA's just like drugs labs etc?

rename..............EVERYTHING.

Will I be able to give my large artillery batteries exciting names?

I'd love that. "Oh look 'Die Muther****a' is out of ammo again.."

"Whether suicide ganking or doing anything in eve, there are exorbitant amounts of people in the game and on the forums that are complete jerks." - Spikeflach

MailDeadDrop
Archon Industries
#102 - 2012-05-23 16:52:33 UTC
Inventory tree shows "None" under many ships (when boarded). This is because most ships are not Orcas or Carriers or Dreads or Supers. The "none" means "this ship doesn't have a fuel bay or ship maintenance bay or corporate hangars." It took me a moment to understand that "none" didn't mean that ship had nothing in its cargo bay. Trivial (I hope) change: could we change the single word "none" to something a little more descriptive?

MDD
Karsa Egivand
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#103 - 2012-05-23 16:52:50 UTC  |  Edited by: Karsa Egivand
Delivery Boi wrote:
I posted this in one of the threadnaughts, and wanted to repost it just in case it got missed:

Dropping onto tabs doesn't work as it used to:
I shift-click two containers to get them in separate windows (Orca cargo hold and ore hold). I drop one of the new windows onto the other so they are now tabbed in a single window. I click the cargo hold tab to have it the "active tab".

I used to be able to drag items from wherever and drop directly onto the tab of the "hidden" ore hold in the tabbed window (moving from cargo/corp hangar to ore hold). Now dropping onto any tab doesn't move the items.

Quoting this because drag/drop on tabs is very useful.

Other than that, I am a very happy customer (as long as the solution for the persisiting window states is reasonably effective).

Also, look into the performance issues some are reporting, those reports are too numerous to be down to just their client PC configuration.

Overall, it is (for me) already a big improvement over the old system. My trader heart rejoices.
Messoroz
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#104 - 2012-05-23 16:52:57 UTC
Hey Soundwave, do the pos changes fix the fact the entire UI attempts to refresh(loading spinners and all) everytime a person switches ships at a SMA in a tower? I know the SMA view must update but the tree even gets the spinner. This is SLOW at a deathstar main tower pos in wspace(just littered with batteries and SMAs/CHAs).

Also, is there any plans to make the client start caching the tree? Because everytime I warp in and out of said POS grid, I have to wait 2 minutes for the inventory to load at said pos of doom. This is a game breaking change.
Kremnican
Kinetic Vector
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#105 - 2012-05-23 16:53:24 UTC
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Oxandrolone wrote:
Quote:
We’re going to allow renaming of all POS structures, this should let players navigate more easily in the tree view, instead of a large group of identical items.
\o/

does this mean only in the inventory window or mean we can rename SMA's and CHA's just like drugs labs etc?

rename..............EVERYTHING.

While rename everything is really something I like... I think what Silos and Reactors should have the type they're set up after the name. Something like "Silo (Tritanium)".

1. In order to keep the reactors and silos "organised" using the names, you'd have to rename the structure every time you change the content. While this is OK with single tower set up for a 4-5 days, it doesn't really work with 4 or more towers, where every day you're switching the reactions on at least one tower.

2. To keep the chaos to minimum, you will have to name the structures in a reasonable way. #1 .. #10 isn't different from Silo... Silo. So you'll in most cases use name that indicates whats in, like Trit, AG or Tech. And from the security point of view I think it's not good that everyone who warps to the POS can see that you're running two Platinum Technite reactions.
Mechael
Tribal Liberation Distribution and Retail
#106 - 2012-05-23 16:53:29 UTC
Sturmwolke wrote:
You may want to re-allow moving items between tabs again (especially when manipulating the Corp hangar).
The functionality of separate windows is nerfed without that ability as you have to _still_ use the tree to move/transfer items.

I don't see the above explicitly stated in the blog.

And another thing, consider making an independent "mother" UI window for the Unified Inventory.
That will eliminate positioning issues when you separate out the child windows.

Case example:
I always have an active ship cargo window, resized to to absolute minimum possible, tucked next to the main capacitor display.
This serves as both reminder and a quick cargo list/drop/loot in space.

Post patch, with the Unified Inventory, it treats this cargo window as the MAIN UI window - which inevitably leads to a lot of grief.
Please also thin those thick bars and un-needed isk est. so I can get more lines out of the cargo window.

Not empty quoting. This is important!

Whether or not you win the game matters not.  It's if you bought it.

Mongo Edwards
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#107 - 2012-05-23 16:54:48 UTC
sterva I wrote:
P.S.

Another two things that were changed:

1. Station Items button and ship hangar button - that was a good thing; now its gone too.

If this is really gone can you please add it back?

It gave me the "dual pane" look that was so missed with the unified UI and makes item management so much easier especially when you are dealing with more than 25 containers. When you have that many containers in addition to several ships it makes it rather difficult to open drag things out of a can and drop it directly into a ship cargo with out tons of scrolling.

With the merged station and ship hanger tabs the new UI actually made this type of task easier to accomplish. I'd really like to have that extra efficiency back Smile

P.S. Thank you so much for the POS changes
Imuran
Zentor Industries
#108 - 2012-05-23 16:55:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Imuran
Please can we have wrecks open in compact mode and close when looted

Something for the future maybe -- bit more advanced filtering so
Module between Meta 1 and Meta 4
OR
Scrapmetal
OR
Ammunition Meta 0
n2thefray
Garden of Eve
#109 - 2012-05-23 16:56:15 UTC
Anyone else run into an issue when they're dragon dropping into the tree and you hover too long and it opens up that location?

I understand why it works that way but I would never want to change containers while I'm dropping stuff.
Chokichi Ozuwara
Perkone
Caldari State
#110 - 2012-05-23 16:58:24 UTC
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Regarding this. We're talking about everything from having a favorites column for stuff, specific settings and even a search function there. Most of it is just in a stage where we're looking at it, but we're definitely looking into options like you're describing and other improvements.

Shame y'all couldn't do this before forcing it on customers.

Tears will be shed and pants will need to be changed all round.

Imuran
Zentor Industries
#111 - 2012-05-23 16:59:14 UTC
n2thefray wrote:
Anyone else run into an issue when they're dragon dropping into the tree and you hover too long and it opens up that location?

I understand why it works that way but I would never want to change containers while I'm dropping stuff.

Yep and dont like that feature
Xarhariel
My Little Pony Recon Force
#112 - 2012-05-23 17:01:18 UTC
Quote:
Shift-clicking works fine, but like with all shortcuts, you need to know it exists. We’re going to allow inventories to be “dragged out” of the main UI. It’s basically the same functionality as shift clicking, but instead of being hidden behind a hotkey, you can simply drag and drop it out with your mouse.

Double clicking works fine, for opening up new windows - and it also means that for a new user coming to this new UI (which is everybody) they won't feel like they're having to learn a new and unintuitive way of opening up new windows.

Regardless, I'm pleased that CCP is actually doing something and looking to fix the more broken parts. (However it should honestly of never been released in this state, where it is being fixed and basic functionality that should of been there right from the beginning.)
Karsa Egivand
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#113 - 2012-05-23 17:02:18 UTC
Sturmwolke wrote:
You may want to re-allow moving items between tabs again (especially when manipulating the Corp hangar).
The functionality of separate windows is nerfed without that ability as you have to _still_ use the tree to move/transfer items.

I don't see the above explicitly stated in the blog.

Quoting another guy for truth.

Drag/Drop onto tab(-header)s is important!
Talon Karrade
L and E Research Division
#114 - 2012-05-23 17:02:55 UTC
i hope with the fixes it includes the pos accessibility. when trying to dump fuel resorces into a ammo or component assembly to make fuel blocks for example before inventory system change i get the message your no part of the corp or the corp hanger doesnt belong to you but still able to dump into my alliances pos structures now i cant even do that which makes the personally own station uselessCry
ReK42
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#115 - 2012-05-23 17:04:44 UTC
Soundwave, as someone who spends the majority of time I'm logged into eve doing alliance-level logistics for one of the largest alliances in the game, thank you for what's detailed in the devblog. Naming POS mods is something I've been wanting for years and the other changes should make it a lot more useful while in space. You should also know that I write this as someone who actually really likes the new design, or at least will once it's usable.

First a couple minor suggestions:

• Now that you'll be making specific windows open separately with the tree collapsed by default can you give capital ships their "Open Fuel Bay/CHA/SMA" options back when right clicking your ship or capacitor readout.
  • Something I've suggested before that you can hopefully slip in now while you're working on it anyway: can you please give silos and other POS mods an "Online/Offline" button when viewing their contents, exactly like the "Loot All" button for wrecks and cans.

Now the bad: nothing you've said, either in this thread or in the devblog, matters until the UI is actually usable. I don't care how good the design is or how awesome the feature set, if I can't actually use it to do things without getting massively frustrated, it is a failure. I don't care about the technical difficulties; if they're that great it should never have been pushed to TQ. I don't care if you have to remove the estimated value feature, or move it to a menu option (highlight stuff, right-click get value). I don't care if you silently make POS a blissful joy to work with in the meantime. Fix it or roll it back until you can give it the attention it needs. The fact that not only did you not include this in the high priority list but didn't even acknowledge this issue really rubs me the wrong way. Until this is resolved I am incapable of seeing this UI as anything other than a steaming dump someone in Iceland took on my eve client.

In case you haven't seen it personally, my post demonstrating what I'm talking about is: https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1344851#post1344851
darius mclever
#116 - 2012-05-23 17:05:07 UTC
Quote:
One is persisting windows that only work in certain places (you have a window that only works in the
station and you want it to be open and in the same location the next time you dock for example).

This please. We fought hard in the bug tool to get the pos module windows to reopen in their old window group. and now this functionality is broken again. We use this heavily to refill production arrays.

2 more additions from my side

1. Can you allow shift click on corp items aswell? so I can do shift click on a corporate hangar array and get a window where i can also switch between the various hangars in the CHA.
  2. In the past when you opened one production array, switched the tab to the desired hangar and then opened the next array it opened that array also on that tab. If point 1 is implemented i could get around with having the CHA with the materials as one window and all the production arrays as another window. but if switching between production arrays would remember that i want the minerals hangar for them would be awesome.
gfldex
#117 - 2012-05-23 17:06:32 UTC
"CPP Soundwave" wrote:
but instead of being hidden behind a hotkey

Did you ever consider to actually document all those hidden short keys?

If you take all the sand out of the box, only the cat poo will remain.

Bayushi Akemi
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#118 - 2012-05-23 17:06:54 UTC
It's a good start to fixing it. Just need to have cargo containers in space spawn a seperate window by default.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1354941#post1354941

Fundamental Problems with New UI. Also, see Tippia's post

Acthiliak
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#119 - 2012-05-23 17:10:58 UTC
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Blake Armitage wrote:
"We’re going to allow renaming of all POS structures"
wait, what?! Stop making me want to redeploy a POS!

Thanks for addressing and quickly communicating about the upcoming changes.

(I've wanted to do this since forever, so getting to sneak this in makes me super happy Big smile)

<3 Soundwave
Hans Tesla
RigWerks Incorporated
#120 - 2012-05-23 17:11:37 UTC
n2thefray wrote:

Verily, this annoys me to no end when I'm trying to dump loot & salvage into the appropriate areas of my corp hangar.

Also, semi-cross post: What's the formula for the estimated price value at the bottom of the UI. After testing, it seems somewhat... uneven. Some items are spot on, others are way over/under priced.

Head Rigger In Charge