These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Legit Question: Why do you post with an alt?

First post First post
Author
Norrin Ellis
Doomheim
#141 - 2012-11-05 10:48:16 UTC
Well, if posting with alts bothers people, then it's done for the same reason as anything else in EVE that bothers others:

Because I can.

Note: This is my main.
Qin Tawate
Doomheim
#142 - 2012-11-05 16:32:11 UTC
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:


Just curious to see why there are people out there who post on here with a forum alt, as I genuinely don't know why you would want to hide who you are.

Does your alliance or corp not let you post on these forums? If so why are you with them?

Is it because you fear retribution (lol) for your opinions? Why do you think everyone dislikes your opinions?

Is it because you're a massive troll? If so, why are you Snot Shot/a GRRRR Goon?

This is a legit question, and definitely not a troll post or a rant.


Obviously you do not understand the worth of privacy like many people in these times. You never had to fight for this right, you know nothing about how to value it.

It is very simple. Votes in democracy are annoynous, too. Why?

Because it should be a personal decision, not forced by a bigger group or clan, what you vote for. If somebody gives you a choice, then it should be an honest choice. In many dictatorships votes are public and the dictator gets 99%. Then he is reelect with 99% - glorious result.

In a forum I like annonymity, because you can take it personal or not. You can stay on topic or you can try to fill these neutral Character with the picture of your enemy in your head. If somebody tries to be personal, argue ad hominem, it is often very funny, if it is against a neutral char. For example you do not agree with a Goon. The average Goon troll thinks then you do not like all Goons and therefore are from AAA or NCdot or something like that. They quickly jump to wrong conclusions, which make them look ridiculous.
Aineko Macx
#143 - 2012-11-05 17:42:43 UTC
Because people pidgeonhole you based on the alliance you are in, assuming you are incapable of unbiased opinion, or rather, that everything you say serves an ulterior agenda.
Anslo
Scope Works
#144 - 2012-11-05 17:52:04 UTC
Aineko Macx wrote:
Because people pidgeonhole you based on the alliance you are in, assuming you are incapable of unbiased opinion, or rather, that everything you say serves an ulterior agenda.


We're such a lovely community, aren't we?Bear

[center]-_For the Proveldtariat_/-[/center]

Gneeznow
Ship spinners inc
#145 - 2012-11-05 18:14:55 UTC
Because I'm so ugly.
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#146 - 2012-11-05 18:45:15 UTC
Every so often I run afoul of the ISDs with my main...

CCP has no sense of humour.

Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#147 - 2012-11-05 18:51:48 UTC
So I can test out questionably humorous jokes. Humor is risky business. My main can't take the chance of having a bad joke fall flat.
Inquisitor Kitchner
The Executives
#148 - 2012-11-05 19:47:58 UTC
Qin Tawate wrote:


It is very simple. Votes in democracy are annoynous, too. Why?

Because it should be a personal decision, not forced by a bigger group or clan, what you vote for. If somebody gives you a choice, then it should be an honest choice. In many dictatorships votes are public and the dictator gets 99%. Then he is reelect with 99% - glorious result.

In a forum I like annonymity, because you can take it personal or not. You can stay on topic or you can try to fill these neutral Character with the picture of your enemy in your head. If somebody tries to be personal, argue ad hominem, it is often very funny, if it is against a neutral char. For example you do not agree with a Goon. The average Goon troll thinks then you do not like all Goons and therefore are from AAA or NCdot or something like that. They quickly jump to wrong conclusions, which make them look ridiculous.



Ummmm voting is anonymous, as you quite rightly said, to stop people from coercing you to vote.

However how many TV presenters, news readers or otherwise other people in the mainstream media that voice their opinions do so anonymously? None, because an opinion without context is worthless. Even if you use a handle on the internet and I have no idea who you really are your persistent identity allows me to decide whether or not I think you know what you're on about.

Comparing posting on a forum, especially one about a video game, to the right to vote anonymously is stretching it a bit.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Caillyn Gekko
Sparks Flying Industries
We Are the Clear Ice Mafia
#149 - 2012-11-05 19:58:56 UTC
Why do I post with an Alt?

So I can say whatever I like without fear of retribution.
So I can troll the forums and not have such glorious poasts linked to my main.
Because I can.
Because I want to.
Why not?
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#150 - 2012-11-05 20:00:24 UTC
i have no alts

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Metal Icarus
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#151 - 2012-11-05 20:09:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Metal Icarus
I do not post with an Alt and it got me kicked out of a corp in tribal band.

To hell with the consequences (everytime I post, this goes through my mind.).

At least I stick to my principals.

(yeah.... e-dignity... its a thing... I guess)
Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#152 - 2012-11-05 20:34:54 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
i have no alts


I have nothing but alts.

I post with others as well.

You might as well ask why there are multiple character slots.
Dar Manic
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#153 - 2012-11-05 20:35:15 UTC
Metal Icarus wrote:
I do not post with an Alt and it got me kicked out of a corp in tribal band.

To hell with the consequences (everytime I post, this goes through my mind.).

At least I stick to my principals.

(yeah.... e-dignity... its a thing... I guess)


So posting with an alt requires you to give up your principles?

EVE encourages asshats and allows/encourages griefing... why would you want to post with your main so they can ruin EVE for you? You can be honest and forthright with an alt just as easily as a main. Depends more on the person posting...

I just don't understand null sec players.

**Please note: **Anytime I use the phrase PvP in a post, I'm talking about shooting/combat/killing things/blowing things up. Thank you.

Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#154 - 2012-11-05 20:36:47 UTC
Dar Manic wrote:
So posting with an alt requires you to give up your principles?

EVE encourages asshats and allows/encourages griefing... why would you want to post with your main so they can ruin EVE for you? You can be honest and forthright with an alt just as easily as a main. Depends more on the person posting...


so you're bowing to the superior players and posting with an alt to hide from the consequences at the expense of all credibility

gj

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Qin Tawate
Doomheim
#155 - 2012-11-05 21:01:02 UTC
Inquisitor Kitchner wrote:
Qin Tawate wrote:


It is very simple. Votes in democracy are annoynous, too. Why?

Because it should be a personal decision, not forced by a bigger group or clan, what you vote for. If somebody gives you a choice, then it should be an honest choice. In many dictatorships votes are public and the dictator gets 99%. Then he is reelect with 99% - glorious result.

In a forum I like annonymity, because you can take it personal or not. You can stay on topic or you can try to fill these neutral Character with the picture of your enemy in your head. If somebody tries to be personal, argue ad hominem, it is often very funny, if it is against a neutral char. For example you do not agree with a Goon. The average Goon troll thinks then you do not like all Goons and therefore are from AAA or NCdot or something like that. They quickly jump to wrong conclusions, which make them look ridiculous.



Ummmm voting is anonymous, as you quite rightly said, to stop people from coercing you to vote.

However how many TV presenters, news readers or otherwise other people in the mainstream media that voice their opinions do so anonymously? None, because an opinion without context is worthless. Even if you use a handle on the internet and I have no idea who you really are your persistent identity allows me to decide whether or not I think you know what you're on about.

Comparing posting on a forum, especially one about a video game, to the right to vote anonymously is stretching it a bit.


TV presenters and media ppl are attention whores by nature. They say their name as often as thy can, because it is all about their name. Selling their media and name dropping. That is their business. It is not so much about what they say. You right, whatever information you get, you set it in a context. But you can cencentrate more on the topic, when you not see at the same time say the big ******* of a women or Obama in a Nazi costume. Many ads use celebrities as incensitives. The product was the same, before and after the ad. Often cult of a personality happens to distract from other things. You are free to pick between cult of personality or say, it does not matter, lets see, what we got on topic.

For example in Eve:

We have something like Fows news. It is the Mittani Fox News. They try to condidion their lemmings on this triple A is all bogus formula since months. They do not care, what exactly is bad or not. Same in real war btw. if you want to condition a soldier to kill somebody. They just put everybody of the other side in one bag and beat on it. To make this happen, they have to avoid giving them a chance to defend themselves and say their opinion. So you have on one side the Mittani cult and on the other side the Makalu cult - only for Russian speakers. These guys for sure do not want you to be anonymous. These guys only want to know one thing: Is this person with me or against me? blue or red/neutral. This selfish attitude does not do you any good, when you want to discuss jsut the game and not their boring politics.

Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#156 - 2012-11-05 21:05:44 UTC
Andski wrote:
... posting with an alt to hide from the consequences at the expense of all credibility

gj


What's your name?
Metal Icarus
Star Frontiers
Brotherhood of Spacers
#157 - 2012-11-05 21:10:56 UTC
Dar Manic wrote:
Metal Icarus wrote:
I do not post with an Alt and it got me kicked out of a corp in tribal band.

To hell with the consequences (everytime I post, this goes through my mind.).

At least I stick to my principals.

(yeah.... e-dignity... its a thing... I guess)


So posting with an alt requires you to give up your principles?

EVE encourages asshats and allows/encourages griefing... why would you want to post with your main so they can ruin EVE for you? You can be honest and forthright with an alt just as easily as a main. Depends more on the person posting...


if I am going to grief, troll, be a general asshat and scam someone, offend an entire coalition, I would like the person/ppl that i am offending to generate some type of game content for me.

it's a game, if I anger you, try to make me play the game your way. If you lose, you tried, if you win, I tried.

in the end it doesn't matter anyways, so might as well try to make a splash.

Also, if i did this with an alt all the possible game content is driven towards a fake character, so it goes nowhere.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#158 - 2012-11-05 21:22:02 UTC
Malphilos wrote:
Bienator II wrote:
i have no alts


I have nothing but alts.

I post with others as well.

You might as well ask why there are multiple character slots.

but i did not ask

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Malphilos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#159 - 2012-11-05 22:03:04 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
Malphilos wrote:
Bienator II wrote:
i have no alts


I have nothing but alts.

I post with others as well.

You might as well ask why there are multiple character slots.

but i did not ask


You're right, should say: "The OP might as well ask..."

Sorry.

Unless you're my alt in which case, shut up.
Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#160 - 2012-11-05 22:14:51 UTC
Malphilos wrote:
Bienator II wrote:
Malphilos wrote:
Bienator II wrote:
i have no alts


I have nothing but alts.

I post with others as well.

You might as well ask why there are multiple character slots.

but i did not ask


You're right, should say: "The OP might as well ask..."

Sorry.

Unless you're my alt in which case, shut up.


i think you do not listen. i said i have no alts. This implies that i can't be your alt.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value