These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: Download-on-Demand Is Coming To Singularity!

First post First post
Author
Makari Aeron
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#101 - 2015-02-27 14:39:05 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Makari Aeron wrote:
So... "DoD Sappin' My Bandwidth!" *Waves engineer wrench wildly"

You always have the option of downloading everything before you start your client. That's what it does today - it's called patching. We're just giving you more options - the option to start playing before the client is fully patched.



Yep. I just wanted to use a TF2 quote in EVE. I'm actually pretty happy with the concept of DoD. It means less time and work on my end to set up clients on a new computer.

CCP RedDawn: Ugly people are just playing life on HARD mode. Personally, I'm playing on an INFERNO difficulty.

CCP Goliath: I often believe that the best way to get something done is to shout at the person trying to help you. http://goo.gl/PKGDP

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#102 - 2015-02-27 14:41:06 UTC
I assume on the Mac version you cannot have one set of files to be used by all clients? If I have multiple clients, or a TQ and a Sisi client, they each store their own files?

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Drizzd
Opera Gomera Liquidate 03
#103 - 2015-02-27 14:41:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Drizzd
Unless you put up WAAAYY more server power - your new "feature" is of little use - I try to run the "download full client-rescache" since last evening - it ALWAYS stops after getting some bytes.
Sometimes i get 100 mb, sometimes even less than 2 mb - I get the impression that the content server is way over its capacity by the number of requests and amout of data to send....

Before on Duality the feature was at least "testable" - as it downloaded the rescache in a few hours (14..5 gb with a 1.6 mb/s connection) - but now Ugh

Vincent Athena wrote:
I assume on the Mac version you cannot have one set of files to be used by all clients? If I have multiple clients, or a TQ and a Sisi client, they each store their own files?

The differences make a "sisi-client" incompatible to a TQ-client - at least that is mentioned in the patch-notes
While the new system will help you in that matter - if you use multiple TQ-clients, each will install a mere 350 mbytes to your harddisk - but ALL of them will use the same resource-cache ... so the resource-cache is needed only once. A big step forward!



First feedback : the new launcher crashes or hangs about every time I start it - have to use task-manager to close it by killing the process.
Daniel Jackson
Universal Exos
#104 - 2015-02-27 15:03:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Jackson
Drizzd wrote:
Unless you put up WAAAYY more server power - your new "feature" is of little use - I try to run the "download full client-rescache" since last evening - it ALWAYS stops after getting some bytes.
Sometimes i get 100 mb, sometimes even less than 2 mb - I get the impression that the content server is way over its capacity by the number of requests and amout of data to send....

Before on Duality the feature was at least "testable" - as it downloaded the rescache in a few hours (14..5 gb with a 1.6 mb/s connection) - but now Ugh

Vincent Athena wrote:
I assume on the Mac version you cannot have one set of files to be used by all clients? If I have multiple clients, or a TQ and a Sisi client, they each store their own files?

The differences make a "sisi-client" incompatible to a TQ-client - at least that is mentioned in the patch-notes
While the new system will help you in that matter - if you use multiple TQ-clients, each will install a mere 350 mbytes to your harddisk - but ALL of them will use the same resource-cache ... so the resource-cache is needed only once. A big step forward!



First feedback : the new launcher crashes or hangs about every time I start it - have to use task-manager to close it by killing the process.

they also said in post #91 that tq and sisi can use the same shared file folder
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#105 - 2015-02-27 15:16:37 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
I assume on the Mac version you cannot have one set of files to be used by all clients? If I have multiple clients, or a TQ and a Sisi client, they each store their own files?

That is the case today. I hope we can have a truly shared cache on the Mac as well before we release this on TQ.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#106 - 2015-02-27 15:19:17 UTC
Daniel Jackson wrote:
dhunpael wrote:

  1. Extracting the shared cache makes my pc extremely slow when trying to play other games installed on the same hard disk.
  2. (playing League of legends because of the downtime on the testserver).

  3. The loading when first entering the game is irritating.
  4. Download it before you can start your client. It's no fun to watch downloads two times in a row.





im sure they are still tinkering with it, it probably won't be like that on release

We'll see if we can optimize this. Shuffling 12GB of data does exercise the hard disk a bit, but keep in mind also that this is a one-off process.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Ghaustyl Kathix
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2015-02-27 16:38:14 UTC
My launcher won't update the resource cache. The first time I ran it, it unpacked just fine and then it went to download updates to the resource cache and froze at "100%, 200MB/500MB" (can't remember the exact numbers). After that, running the launcher makes it freeze at 0% of updating the resource cache.

I deleted resTemp, ran as an administrator (though that wouldn't make a difference since I'm downloading it to a folder on a non-system hard drive), ran the repair tool, still getting the same problem.
Freelancer117
So you want to be a Hero
#108 - 2015-02-27 17:26:31 UTC
I want the option to have more than 3 capsuleers to choice from under one account, I'll even pay plex to add alt slots under one account Cool

Eve online is :

A) mining simulator B) glorified chatroom C) spreadsheets online

D) CCP Games Pay to Win at skill leveling, with instant gratification

http://eve-radio.com//images/photos/3419/223/34afa0d7998f0a9a86f737d6.jpg

http://bit.ly/1egr4mF

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#109 - 2015-02-27 19:51:28 UTC
how does the client deal with old files? there must be some form of garbage collection for the cache?

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#110 - 2015-02-27 19:58:08 UTC
Ghaustyl Kathix wrote:
My launcher won't update the resource cache. The first time I ran it, it unpacked just fine and then it went to download updates to the resource cache and froze at "100%, 200MB/500MB" (can't remember the exact numbers). After that, running the launcher makes it freeze at 0% of updating the resource cache.

I deleted resTemp, ran as an administrator (though that wouldn't make a difference since I'm downloading it to a folder on a non-system hard drive), ran the repair tool, still getting the same problem.

Unfortunately one of the files downloaded by the launcher is really large, it is half the size of the total download and the progress bar is based on the number of files rather than size downloaded. It is therefore likely that when it appears frozen it is still downloading that single large file. We'll sort this out before going live with this.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#111 - 2015-02-27 20:00:11 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
how does the client deal with old files? there must be some form of garbage collection for the cache?

There will be, either from the launcher or the client (or both), maybe even as a stand-alone tool. It's a simple process, just haven't packaged up nicely yet.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#112 - 2015-02-27 20:09:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Bienator II wrote:
how does the client deal with old files? there must be some form of garbage collection for the cache?

There will be, either from the launcher or the client (or both), maybe even as a stand-alone tool. It's a simple process, just haven't packaged up nicely yet.

Be aware that when you use the mac clonemaker tool, the result is something that bypasses the launcher.

I almost always run the clone, not the main instal. I have had glitches that have rendered the client unusable, and require a completely new one. When its a clone that is glitched, getting a new one takes seconds. When its a entire new client: many many minutes. So by running clones only I protect the main instal from glitches, and the resulting time sink.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Thycoon
Patrician Space Incorporation
#113 - 2015-02-27 20:58:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Thycoon
Quote:
Ghaustyl Kathix wrote:
My launcher won't update the resource cache. The first time I ran it, it unpacked just fine and then it went to download updates to the resource cache and froze at "100%, 200MB/500MB" (can't remember the exact numbers). After that, running the launcher makes it freeze at 0% of updating the resource cache.

I deleted resTemp, ran as an administrator (though that wouldn't make a difference since I'm downloading it to a folder on a non-system hard drive), ran the repair tool, still getting the same problem.

Unfortunately one of the files downloaded by the launcher is really large, it is half the size of the total download and the progress bar is based on the number of files rather than size downloaded. It is therefore likely that when it appears frozen it is still downloading that single large file. We'll sort this out before going live with this.

I have the same problem and it doesn't works:
After the launcher start I get after the first procedure the following error message:
“You’re running a pre-release version of the EVE Launcher. This might cause problems with your installation. Do you wish to proceed anyway? Choose OK to continue or cancel to do nothing.”
After choosing “OK” the launcher is starting with the procedure and getting till the download “Downloading updates to res cache …” and is hanging while getting between 6 till 18.4% of progress.
I tried everything (new installation, original suggested cache folder option, different cache folder location, different launcher – TQ-launcher, Sissi launcher – emptied all caches etc.), but no success anyhow.
The launcher always stuck in this upper mentioned process and the game cannot be started.

I have also tried the Duality installation as mentioned here:
http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/download-on-demand-client-for-eve-online/
It updated properly and I could have started but the server was in “VIP-mode” and I could not log in.

I would appreciate some help with this!

While trying the installation for Duality it was like this - downloading continued while showing it hangs - but it doesn't do that on singularity!

Finally:
I emptied the complete Singularity and SharedCache Folders and reinstalled with the EVE_Online_Installer_865562 for Singularity. Following all necessary steps the installation went smooth (also here the progress bar start hanging after a while but the download continued) and finished till I could start the game on Singularity (download size from res-files 8.99 GB). After the installation the folders had the following size:
EVE folder included SharedCache = 36.6 GB
SharedCache folder = 22.6 GB
EVE Duality = 277 KB
EVE Singularity = 276.5 KB

It was too late to play and check for the mass – caused by the changes – I will try that tomorrow! Lol
Vir Allier
Doomheim
#114 - 2015-02-27 20:59:45 UTC
can't fix this - all ships in market blurred
Also no audio at all
Drizzd
Opera Gomera Liquidate 03
#115 - 2015-02-27 21:42:58 UTC
you get at least into the game ..

I primed the cache - was happy .. then comes the launcher - and is REDOWNLOADING over 9 GB .. wtf ??

Thats about the entire Res-Cache .. what did I prime it for with my eve-client files ?

and I will be surprised if the rescache download will run through this time - as it didnt the 20 times before Evil
Vir Allier
Doomheim
#116 - 2015-02-27 21:53:45 UTC
Drizzd wrote:
you get at least into the game ..

I primed the cache - was happy .. then comes the launcher - and is REDOWNLOADING over 9 GB .. wtf ??

........


Did u tick "Dawnload all the resource files"?
Ferni Ka'Nviiou
Doomheim
#117 - 2015-02-27 22:43:38 UTC
Drizzd wrote:
you get at least into the game ..

I primed the cache - was happy .. then comes the launcher - and is REDOWNLOADING over 9 GB .. wtf ??

Thats about the entire Res-Cache .. what did I prime it for with my eve-client files ?

and I will be surprised if the rescache download will run through this time - as it didnt the 20 times before Evil

Same problem here.

I'm not re-downloading 10 gigabytes of stuff that is already in the folder.
Drizzd
Opera Gomera Liquidate 03
#118 - 2015-02-27 23:06:56 UTC
Vir Allier wrote:
Drizzd wrote:
you get at least into the game ..

I primed the cache - was happy .. then comes the launcher - and is REDOWNLOADING over 9 GB .. wtf ??

........


Did u tick "Dawnload all the resource files"?

of course - and since the launcher CHECKED the res-cache I'm surprised that it redownloads the whole res-cache
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
SLYCE Pirates
#119 - 2015-02-27 23:16:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
Worked fine with default location but when I changed its location it stalled at 0%.

Reset of default settings needs to reset the cache to default also because the only way to see the default cache is to open up the search function. Its hidden on most computers.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

BeanBagKing
The Order of Atlas
#120 - 2015-02-28 02:06:01 UTC
So I posted this on Reddit and nobody seemed to konw what my problem is. Anyone here know what I'm doing wrong?

Every time I try to update the test client now it makes it to 23.1%, displays an error, and hangs.

https://i.imgur.com/30atrkH.png
http://pastebin.com/JdcxAPyL

Very possible I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't seen any posts in the Download on Demand thread about doing things a different way.

Start Eve doesn't work, clicking OK gets rid of the error message, but the progress bar doesn't seem to move after.
Can anyone that's properly updated the client tell me your exact steps or point out anything I might be doing wrong? I'll be happy to give more details too, just let me know what you need.