These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: Download-on-Demand Is Coming To Singularity!

First post First post
Author
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#301 - 2015-03-19 13:41:05 UTC
Salpun wrote:
That helpful tool did it get cut because of time?

If you're referring to the rescache tool, you can find it in the bin\ folder.
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#302 - 2015-03-19 13:45:47 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
Salpun wrote:
That helpful tool did it get cut because of time?

If you're referring to the rescache tool, you can find it in the bin\ folder.

kk there was talk of a easier way to access it.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#303 - 2015-03-19 13:47:55 UTC
Worrff wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

So, as the repair function only runs against the binaries and executables, are you saying that no client corruption ever occurs in the art/content folders ?

If you are not saying that, how would client issues within these folders be repaired ?

I'm sure it's possible to corrupt things in that folder, and it's likely that something in that folder will be corrupted, however, since the name of the files in the cache is based upon a hash of the file contents, a corrupted file would have a different file name.

What I mean by this is that rather than having a corrupted or non-corrupted version of, for example, the Abaddon textures, you would actually have a corrupted file with a completely different file name, and the Abaddon textures simply wouldn't exist.

Further more, this is only the first release of the download on demand capabilities. As we continue developing it, as we've already done with EVE Probe, we'll fix issues as the arise.

Worrff wrote:
I don't use the launcher as the login is noticeably slower on both my PC's and a laptop. It doesn't really provide anything over the standard login screen, other than access to the Nex store which I never use.

Thank you for letting me know Smile
Worrff
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#304 - 2015-03-19 13:52:55 UTC
Sarmatiko wrote:
Worrff wrote:

So, as the repair function only runs against the binaries and executables, are you saying that no client corruption ever occurs in the art/content folders ?

If you are not saying that, how would client issues within these folders be repaired ?


Before you posted this, have you ever looked at Sisi client root and on rescache.exe tool in particular? I guess not.
REscache tool can verify cache consistency, delete corrupt files, download missing|corrupt resources and clean whole cache.

So if you don't like launcher - just use repair and rescache tools.


Why would I do that ?

The whole idea of a repair function is for it to do whatever is necessary to ummm...repair and restore functionality.

The user should not have to delve into recaching exe.files, this function should be built into the repair tool.

CCP Philosophy: If it works, break it. If it’s broken, leave it alone and break something else.

Sarmatiko
#305 - 2015-03-19 13:57:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Sarmatiko
CCP Atropos wrote:
Salpun wrote:
That helpful tool did it get cut because of time?

If you're referring to the rescache tool, you can find it in the bin\ folder.

It was moved to root folder in latest builds.
Sarmatiko
#306 - 2015-03-19 14:14:10 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:

Why don't you like using the EVE Launcher?

Major downside for me since launcher release - it still won't let me save login and password. Other major online games allow it.

Also I think that "Download all resources" option work slow compared to "rescache download". Could be just subjective feeling.

Maybe something like in latest GW2 launcher could be better option? So when Launcher download files in resfileindex_prefetch.txt player can proceed with login and press Play button, or he can wait for all remaining files to download.
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#307 - 2015-03-19 14:26:10 UTC
Salpun wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:
Salpun wrote:
That helpful tool did it get cut because of time?

If you're referring to the rescache tool, you can find it in the bin\ folder.

kk there was talk of a easier way to access it.

I've moved the rescache tool up one level, it's no longer hiding in the bin folder.

Also, if you run it with no arguments (as happens if you double-click on it in an explorer window), it will verify the contents of the cache and prompt you to download any missing files.

One of these days I'll get around to writing up a page on this tool on the Evelopedia...

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#308 - 2015-03-19 14:29:35 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Salpun wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:
Salpun wrote:
That helpful tool did it get cut because of time?

If you're referring to the rescache tool, you can find it in the bin\ folder.

kk there was talk of a easier way to access it.

I've moved the rescache tool up one level, it's no longer hiding in the bin folder.

Also, if you run it with no arguments (as happens if you double-click on it in an explorer window), it will verify the contents of the cache and prompt you to download any missing files.

One of these days I'll get around to writing up a page on this tool on the Evelopedia...

Mentioning the tool in the patch notes would be a visibility improvement also.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Worrff
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#309 - 2015-03-19 15:19:08 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:


One of these days I'll get around to writing up a page on this tool on the Evelopedia...


Perhaps this should be done sooner than "one of these days", as there are clearly issues and changes being made that people will only know about after trawling through 15 pages of a forum thread.

CCP Philosophy: If it works, break it. If it’s broken, leave it alone and break something else.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#310 - 2015-03-19 20:37:33 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:

I'm sure it's possible to corrupt things in that folder, and it's likely that something in that folder will be corrupted, however, since the name of the files in the cache is based upon a hash of the file contents, a corrupted file would have a different file name.

Oh really? I thought it odd that the file name would automatically change in the event of a file corruption, so I decided to test it. I opened one of the ResFiles with a test editor, deleted a block of data, and saved it.

Result: The file name did not change. The name no longer matches the hash of the file contents (because I changed the contents), but unless that is checked every single time the client loads the file, the client will not know it has a corrupted file.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Worrff
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#311 - 2015-03-19 20:40:14 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
Worrff wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

So, as the repair function only runs against the binaries and executables, are you saying that no client corruption ever occurs in the art/content folders ?

If you are not saying that, how would client issues within these folders be repaired ?

I'm sure it's possible to corrupt things in that folder, and it's likely that something in that folder will be corrupted, however, since the name of the files in the cache is based upon a hash of the file contents, a corrupted file would have a different file name.

What I mean by this is that rather than having a corrupted or non-corrupted version of, for example, the Abaddon textures, you would actually have a corrupted file with a completely different file name, and the Abaddon textures simply wouldn't exist.

Further more, this is only the first release of the download on demand capabilities. As we continue developing it, as we've already done with EVE Probe, we'll fix issues as the arise.

Worrff wrote:
I don't use the launcher as the login is noticeably slower on both my PC's and a laptop. It doesn't really provide anything over the standard login screen, other than access to the Nex store which I never use.

Thank you for letting me know Smile



CCP Atropos:

One (hopefully) last question.....

So, I have my 2 clients.

On patch day I start the first client and migrate the data, the location being recorded in the registry.

When I start the second client, I take it that I will also have to migrate the data, or the registry will not have the location on the second client ? As this will essentially be an identical copy of the originally migrated data, will this cause an issue ?

CCP Philosophy: If it works, break it. If it’s broken, leave it alone and break something else.

Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#312 - 2015-03-19 20:41:10 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:

Why don't you like using the EVE Launcher?

Because when you make a clone of the client using the Eve clonemaker (for OSX), the clone bypasses the launcher. I make clones as it is faster to get three clients going at once, and if one client gets glitched, I can just toss it and make a new clone.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#313 - 2015-03-19 20:52:18 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:

Why don't you like using the EVE Launcher?

Because when you make a clone of the client using the Eve clonemaker (for OSX), the clone bypasses the launcher. I make clones as it is faster to get three clients going at once, and if one client gets glitched, I can just toss it and make a new clone.

OSX will not have DoD enabled on Tuesday this time it is windows only.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Manssell
OmiHyperMultiNationalDrunksConglomerate
#314 - 2015-03-20 02:07:19 UTC
Salpun wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:

Why don't you like using the EVE Launcher?

Because when you make a clone of the client using the Eve clonemaker (for OSX), the clone bypasses the launcher. I make clones as it is faster to get three clients going at once, and if one client gets glitched, I can just toss it and make a new clone.

OSX will not have DoD enabled on Tuesday this time it is windows only.



Ah I was just about to ask that, crisis adverted then. I'm assuming a DEV said this somewhere?
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#315 - 2015-03-20 02:13:28 UTC
Manssell wrote:
Salpun wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:

Why don't you like using the EVE Launcher?

Because when you make a clone of the client using the Eve clonemaker (for OSX), the clone bypasses the launcher. I make clones as it is faster to get three clients going at once, and if one client gets glitched, I can just toss it and make a new clone.

OSX will not have DoD enabled on Tuesday this time it is windows only.



Ah I was just about to ask that, crisis adverted then. I'm assuming a DEV said this somewhere?

New update page http://updates.eveonline.com/

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#316 - 2015-03-20 13:19:04 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:

I'm sure it's possible to corrupt things in that folder, and it's likely that something in that folder will be corrupted, however, since the name of the files in the cache is based upon a hash of the file contents, a corrupted file would have a different file name.

Oh really? I thought it odd that the file name would automatically change in the event of a file corruption, so I decided to test it. I opened one of the ResFiles with a test editor, deleted a block of data, and saved it.

Result: The file name did not change. The name no longer matches the hash of the file contents (because I changed the contents), but unless that is checked every single time the client loads the file, the client will not know it has a corrupted file.

Hmm, guess I got it wrong. I'm not the one implementing that part of the code so am not intimately familiar with it's workings. brb going to talk to Snorlax Cool
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#317 - 2015-03-20 13:22:20 UTC
Worrff wrote:
CCP Atropos:

One (hopefully) last question.....

So, I have my 2 clients.

On patch day I start the first client and migrate the data, the location being recorded in the registry.

When I start the second client, I take it that I will also have to migrate the data, or the registry will not have the location on the second client ? As this will essentially be an identical copy of the originally migrated data, will this cause an issue ?

If your clients are running on the same computer, then the second client will pick up the already saved value for the shared resource cache path, and then extract it's data to the shared cache. If you've already got some of the data, then it will just extract it, generate it's hashed file path and then discard it.
CCP Atropos
C C P
C C P Alliance
#318 - 2015-03-20 13:23:31 UTC
Salpun wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:

Why don't you like using the EVE Launcher?

Because when you make a clone of the client using the Eve clonemaker (for OSX), the clone bypasses the launcher. I make clones as it is faster to get three clients going at once, and if one client gets glitched, I can just toss it and make a new clone.

OSX will not have DoD enabled on Tuesday this time it is windows only.

That's incorrect; the EVE Launcher on OSX will have download on demand, but we're waiting for some updates to the Cider engine to fully implement downloading on demand in the EVE Client on OSX, but it should be here soon™
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
#319 - 2015-03-20 22:07:29 UTC
CCP Atropos wrote:
Salpun wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
CCP Atropos wrote:

Why don't you like using the EVE Launcher?

Because when you make a clone of the client using the Eve clonemaker (for OSX), the clone bypasses the launcher. I make clones as it is faster to get three clients going at once, and if one client gets glitched, I can just toss it and make a new clone.

OSX will not have DoD enabled on Tuesday this time it is windows only.

That's incorrect; the EVE Launcher on OSX will have download on demand, but we're waiting for some updates to the Cider engine to fully implement downloading on demand in the EVE Client on OSX, but it should be here soon™

The Mac client tends to lock up if you download anything in the background. So what we Mac users do is tell the client to pre-download everything right away. As I have gone on Sisi since DoD was implemented, I already have most everything already.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Oberlania
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#320 - 2015-03-26 13:55:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Oberlania
Please... Since the on demand client version me and others of my friends are totally unable to play...

Are 3 days that we are not unable to play the game ! How many time more we need wait ?

Why there is not an option in the launcher for be able to download the full client ? For be able play with the full client already downloaded ?

I have try delete all and install the offline installer with the launcher and the 4 payload files... but it install only 200mb in old folder and 300mb in new folder and he don't see any of the payoload files in the installation process !

And now if i press repair it delete all the full folder in C:programdata\ccp with all the 13 gb inside !

What repair is that ? A repair that delete all and that simply let we download all the 13 gb again from zero ?

All the games: wow, gw2 and others with the download on deman ! Give the option do have the game full downloaded first to play !

Also people with low connection as some of my friends are unable to play for lag in connection since that patch...

Please give to us a way for be able to have the game full downloaded first to play ! Or we are unable to play the game !

Simply put in the launcher the option for be able to download all the full client ! i think is very easy to do that fix !

Thank you !