These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev Blog: Download-on-Demand Is Coming To Singularity!

First post First post
Author
Vala Ancalagon
15 Minute Outliers
#121 - 2015-02-28 02:24:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Vala Ancalagon
I tried out the server, saying "yes" to the cache. I am unsure if it completed, as it seemed to lock up after a long time, and the bar was all the way filled. Restarting, it didn't have all the files to display everything, and it ends up loading it slowly. For instance, it didn't load up the inside of the station, but showed the lights and the steam. Undocking, the lights of the station were there, but no station. Shortly after, the station appeared. I'm not sure if it's figured out it already copied the files, and it is downloading them again?

Edit: I am retrying this again, with a fresh copy of the client to make sure my computer doesn't sleep or anything like that during the setup...

Edit 2: It is getting stuck on the latest download/update. The download message says: "DOWNLOADING UPDATES TO RES CACHE (341.64 MB/529.71 MB) 100.0%"

It seems to move a file or do "something" every half hour or so at this point, but the message remains the same.
Kinis Deren
Mosquito Squadron
WE FOWM W0LTA
#122 - 2015-02-28 09:43:05 UTC
Vala Ancalagon wrote:
I tried out the server, saying "yes" to the cache. I am unsure if it completed, as it seemed to lock up after a long time, and the bar was all the way filled. Restarting, it didn't have all the files to display everything, and it ends up loading it slowly. For instance, it didn't load up the inside of the station, but showed the lights and the steam. Undocking, the lights of the station were there, but no station. Shortly after, the station appeared. I'm not sure if it's figured out it already copied the files, and it is downloading them again?

Edit: I am retrying this again, with a fresh copy of the client to make sure my computer doesn't sleep or anything like that during the setup...

Edit 2: It is getting stuck on the latest download/update. The download message says: "DOWNLOADING UPDATES TO RES CACHE (341.64 MB/529.71 MB) 100.0%"

It seems to move a file or do "something" every half hour or so at this point, but the message remains the same.


I've just had the same but I left it and after 5 to 10 mins, the character login screen appeared (I have the autoplay option in the launcher ticked). I suspect stuff is going on behind the scenes that the progress bar is not reporting.
Ptyler
Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru
#123 - 2015-02-28 10:24:11 UTC
currently i'm with the few other people that are actually reporting being completely unable to download anything on the launcher/get on sisi at all. launcher does the alert for "pre-release launcher" click okay and it instantly crashes. clicking cancel obviously doesn't start patching either. i had a friend check his launcher to see if it's doing the same and his is as well.
hoping there's something in the works to fix this up somehow.
Drizzd
Opera Gomera Liquidate 03
#124 - 2015-02-28 11:22:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Drizzd
I finally got through - as stupid as it seems.... first prime the cache with the eve-client a copy of TQ, then let it update - and I simply ignored the launcher window as it took a really long time, to download the entire rescache a second time - I just played eve on TQ and other games. After some hours I noticed that the launcher announced successful patching.

I logged in and could play around - even test the new opportunities - and noticed a new "issue".

Although I have a full ressource cache, on every system jump the game stalls - obviously checking again if I need some resource files for the new star system - which takes a 4(8) core i7 2630 QM with 16 GB of RAM about half a minute. Seriously after about the third jump you cancel the route, dock and exit the game ... please ccp, fix this issue - the client should get a "flag" or something from the launcher saying that I have the full resource cache. I can't imagine a situation where you change something to the resource files WHILE I play, that would justify testing the entire resource cache on every system jump AGAIN.

Oh - and another small issue while I am at it:

new opportunities looks good so far - but If it calls you to fight a NPC target - please spawn some .. its really difficult to find one in 1.0 and 0.9 career-agent systems without jumping a good distance away.....
Vala Ancalagon
15 Minute Outliers
#125 - 2015-02-28 12:53:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Vala Ancalagon
The client ended up wanting to download 9GB even though it had already moved everything from the original client to the cache. I set it to go overnight. Now it has "DOWNLOADING UPDATES TO RES CACHE (745.51 MB/9.02 GB) 3.1%" and is not moving.

Edit: restarting the launcher appears to pick up where it stopped. Just for clarification, there wasn't really 9GB of new material released was there?
Drizzd
Opera Gomera Liquidate 03
#126 - 2015-02-28 15:00:47 UTC
No - it just appears as that the "checking ressource-cache" in the launcher does absolutely nothing - instead it "sees" the line "download complete ressource cache" in the launcher setup - and goes to work = even though we both used the eve client to prime the cache and waited some 5 minutes for it to do that - the launcher downloads the entire ressource cache again.

And obviously it is quite "touchy" ... a little to much requests to the download server or something else leads to a stall - which the launcher cannot correct by itself - instead it hangs. When you restart it by hand, it will continue where it stalled...

Once it pulls through, you are good to go. Not the ideal solution - but its the testserver - maybe we can prevent the same thing to happen on the live server / tq-client ...
in that case testing would have had its reason

I hope for the best in that case
BeanBagKing
The Order of Atlas
#127 - 2015-02-28 15:11:32 UTC
BeanBagKing wrote:
So I posted this on Reddit and nobody seemed to konw what my problem is. Anyone here know what I'm doing wrong?

Every time I try to update the test client now it makes it to 23.1%, displays an error, and hangs.

https://i.imgur.com/30atrkH.png
http://pastebin.com/JdcxAPyL

Very possible I'm doing something wrong, but I haven't seen any posts in the Download on Demand thread about doing things a different way.

Start Eve doesn't work, clicking OK gets rid of the error message, but the progress bar doesn't seem to move after.
Can anyone that's properly updated the client tell me your exact steps or point out anything I might be doing wrong? I'll be happy to give more details too, just let me know what you need.


So I ended up deleting my entire sisi install and copying over my tq install so I was starting with a fresh setup. Started the launcher and selected no when it wanted to prime my cache (I feel a little dirty everytime I say that, not sure why). After downloading about 400mb everything started fine. I didn't point the download to a different location or whatever was recommended. Now... do I still need my sisi install folder?

Anyway, Devs should probably still know about this problem with the cache priming.
Commissar Kate
NulzSec
#128 - 2015-02-28 15:50:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Commissar Kate
Good thing about download on demand is that I don't have to have the useless captains quarters installed anymore and save a few gigs of disk space.

I might miss doing this with it but that's about it.
Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Goonswarm Federation
#129 - 2015-02-28 15:54:14 UTC
Drizzd
Opera Gomera Liquidate 03
#130 - 2015-02-28 16:11:58 UTC
Commissar Kate wrote:
Good thing about download on demand is that I don't have to have the useless captains quarters installed anymore and save a few gigs of disk space.

I might miss doing this with it but that's about it.


I heavily doubt that it will save "few" gigs - seeing as what you can do in captains quarters .. my bet is more in the range of a few megs ... a hundred tops...

Might change when project legion comes upon us and the captains quarter unites with the ones for the dust 514 players - for who wants to do it.
Rain6637
Simulacra and Simulation
Goonswarm Federation
#131 - 2015-02-28 16:16:42 UTC
Yuri Semah
Dead Corporation 10985
#132 - 2015-02-28 16:27:01 UTC
The way I installed the DoD Version:
1) start the launcher
2) select "yes" when the launcher asks you if you want to prime your cache
3) let the launcher do what it does (and I'm pretty sure it's not downloading 9GB of data - no way that my mediocre internet connection could do that in 30 min)
4) rename the C:\ProgramData\CCP\EVE\SharedCache folder
5) start the launcher
6) let it do whatever it does
7) done

Everything works fine, as far as I can tell.
However, the first time I started the game I had a black screen for about 20s between when the game was done "loading" and the character selection screen. When I selected my character, it took abother 20s to load the station interior (not captain's quarters). So... maybe add the station interior to the basic game files? Staring at a mostly black screen might put off new players...
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#133 - 2015-02-28 17:50:06 UTC
Yuri Semah wrote:
The way I installed the DoD Version:
1) start the launcher
2) select "yes" when the launcher asks you if you want to prime your cache
3) let the launcher do what it does (and I'm pretty sure it's not downloading 9GB of data - no way that my mediocre internet connection could do that in 30 min)
4) rename the C:\ProgramData\CCP\EVE\SharedCache folder
5) start the launcher
6) let it do whatever it does
7) done

Everything works fine, as far as I can tell.
However, the first time I started the game I had a black screen for about 20s between when the game was done "loading" and the character selection screen. When I selected my character, it took abother 20s to load the station interior (not captain's quarters). So... maybe add the station interior to the basic game files? Staring at a mostly black screen might put off new players...

Hmm, if you rename the SharedCache folder you're hiding it from the EVE client, unless you changed the setting in the launcher to match. That would mean the client will have to download everything it needs, rather than having the cache primed from the stuff files.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

Daniel Jackson
Universal Exos
#134 - 2015-02-28 19:01:58 UTC
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ok well i did that but i selected a different location for the cache folder so the sisi folder still has all the files in it, how do i reduce it so that it only uses just the sharedcache?

or which files or folders should i delete in the sisi installation folder? cause its still showing all the files in there

no one answered me on this yet, there's still all the old in the folder which files do we delete? cause the launcher did not delete any of the old files
Manella Antollare
African Atomic.
HIDDEN LEAF VILLAGE NINJA AssAssIn SQUAD eSports
#135 - 2015-02-28 19:07:35 UTC
Im probably being stupid and haven't read something.
But, each time I switch from SiSi to Tranquility, I have to download 1GB? Every single time...

Confirmed scrublord.

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
#136 - 2015-02-28 19:09:43 UTC
Manella Antollare wrote:
Im probably being stupid and haven't read something.
But, each time I switch from SiSi to Tranquility, I have to download 1GB? Every single time...

You using the same file set for both you need separate ones for now.

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Drizzd
Opera Gomera Liquidate 03
#137 - 2015-02-28 19:13:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Drizzd
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ok well i did that but i selected a different location for the cache folder so the sisi folder still has all the files in it, how do i reduce it so that it only uses just the sharedcache?

or which files or folders should i delete in the sisi installation folder? cause its still showing all the files in there

no one answered me on this yet, there's still all the old in the folder which files do we delete? cause the launcher did not delete any of the old files



If you start the launcher from the "sisi-folder" it should ask you, if you want to "prime the res-cache" - say YES - and it will de-pack the .stuff-files in your eve.folder to the res-cache - and delete them one by one, reducing the client to about 350 mbytes.
Probably you now have a res-cache so you'd need to delete that to get the launcher to question you again about the priming - or you just delete the .stuff-files from the sisi-folder

Manella Antollare wrote:
Im probably being stupid and haven't read something.
But, each time I switch from SiSi to Tranquility, I have to download 1GB? Every single time...


Sounds like you use the same folder for both - that won't really work well , since TQ uses a different patch-level as Sisi (notice the version number difference between both) so everytime you force the launcher to "adjust" your incompatible Sisi-Client to TQ or vice versa the TQ-client to Sisi - though I doubt its really 1 GB each time ..

Use 2 different folders - the new Sisi-client is just 350 mbytes - the resource cache needs about 15 GB
BeanBagKing
The Order of Atlas
#138 - 2015-02-28 19:21:59 UTC  |  Edited by: BeanBagKing
I tried deleting all the .stuff files like Drizzd said. It asked me if I wanted to prime my cache again and I said yes. This time things seemed to work just fine instead of freezing.

Edit: I can see the new icons now! they weren't working before.
Daniel Jackson
Universal Exos
#139 - 2015-02-28 19:29:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Jackson
Drizzd wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ok well i did that but i selected a different location for the cache folder so the sisi folder still has all the files in it, how do i reduce it so that it only uses just the sharedcache?

or which files or folders should i delete in the sisi installation folder? cause its still showing all the files in there

no one answered me on this yet, there's still all the old in the folder which files do we delete? cause the launcher did not delete any of the old files



If you start the launcher from the "sisi-folder" it should ask you, if you want to "prime the res-cache" - say YES - and it will de-pack the .stuff-files in your eve.folder to the res-cache - and delete them one by one, reducing the client to about 350 mbytes.
Probably you now have a res-cache so you'd need to delete that to get the launcher to question you again about the priming - or you just delete the .stuff-files from the sisi-folder


it didn't ask me if i want to prime it at all even on the first time i launched it, is it because i switched the sharedfiles folder to a different directory? since i have like no space on my c at all
Drizzd
Opera Gomera Liquidate 03
#140 - 2015-02-28 19:48:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Drizzd
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Drizzd wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
Daniel Jackson wrote:
ok well i did that but i selected a different location for the cache folder so the sisi folder still has all the files in it, how do i reduce it so that it only uses just the sharedcache?

or which files or folders should i delete in the sisi installation folder? cause its still showing all the files in there

no one answered me on this yet, there's still all the old in the folder which files do we delete? cause the launcher did not delete any of the old files



If you start the launcher from the "sisi-folder" it should ask you, if you want to "prime the res-cache" - say YES - and it will de-pack the .stuff-files in your eve.folder to the res-cache - and delete them one by one, reducing the client to about 350 mbytes.
Probably you now have a res-cache so you'd need to delete that to get the launcher to question you again about the priming - or you just delete the .stuff-files from the sisi-folder


it didn't ask me if i want to prime it at all even on the first time i launched it, is it because i switched the sharedfiles folder to a different directory? since i have like no space on my c at all


That could be a reason.

Here's a workaround for you - if you want eve to "believe" the res-cache is still on the c-drive

start "cmd.exe" - then
go to the drive where you have space like e:
>e:
>mkdir EVE
>c:
>cd \ProgramData

if not already there (check via dir and scroll up )
create a Folder CCP

>mkdir CCP
>cd CCP
>mklink /J EVE e:\EVE

check what you've created by
>dir

compare with this sample from my laptop with a german Windows 7

C:\ProgramData\CCP>dir
Datenträger in Laufwerk C: ist System
Volumeseriennummer: E285-D851

Verzeichnis von C:\ProgramData\CCP

19.12.2014 14:38 < DIR > .
19.12.2014 14:38 < DIR > ..
19.12.2014 14:38 < VERBINDUNG > EVE [E:\platz_c\EVE]
0 Datei(en), 0 Bytes
3 Verzeichnis(se), 33.470.603.264 Bytes frei


now you can close cmd by
>exit

the now the launcher will use this EVE folder on drive E to create the res-cache and still "sees" it being on drive C - because the Junction you created by the commands before is like a logical link - based on features of the ntfs-file system of your windows.