These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE has a problem with its reputation. What can or should be done?

First post
Author
Jeremy Kamira
#41 - 2014-07-14 23:05:21 UTC
Most of the things i see you talking about is the risk factor (IDK what else to do call it). Most people don't want so spend hours grinding and have the chance of losing whatever they grinded for, they want to play a game that is a risk free enviroment and eve is the very opposite of risk free enviroment. Even highsec carebears have the chance to lose lots of stuff by ganking. Players don't like that so they shy away.
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#42 - 2014-07-14 23:06:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Ramona McCandless wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
even a goon

Predjudice is the most poisonous thing that currently exists in the game
That's only because IZ has left and certain other posters poisonous things appear to taking a holiday from the forums.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#43 - 2014-07-14 23:09:04 UTC
It's not a problem. EvE's reputation is a celebration of what the game is.

Nothing to fix at all.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#44 - 2014-07-14 23:09:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
New plays should not be griefed or scammed or ganked in any way, and there should be an area in EVE where it should be COMPLETELY safe for people to play.

New people should have a completely safe area to play while they learn, but if you make that available for just anyone then everywhere else is going to be very quiet.

And you've my point for me. If current gameplay mode is superior, then CCP has nothing to worry about. But if even a goon admits that this new safe mode proposed will be more attractive to EVERYONE, well, thats an answer in itself.

That's black and white thinking. It's superior to the right kind of player. It's obvioulsy inferior to the instant gratification crowd.

The proper way forward for CCP is to find a way to retain the right kinds of players, the 'hobbyist' who will stay with the game and invest their time and money into it. All the ideas I see people having result in 'open the flood gates to just anyone'. To borrow a Goon term, we don't need more "pubbies", they do more harm than good.
Titania Hrothgar
Nemesis Retribution
#45 - 2014-07-14 23:10:36 UTC
Well, Eve can start with fixing a few scams.

The ISK scam would be an EASY fix- it'd require so little effort on CCP's part that by them not doing so, they're sending the message to all that it's both legal and encouraged.

They could fix the contract delivery stuff so that if you are delivering someone else's belongings and they destroy you with alts, you STILL have the right to get identical items and make the delivery.

I don't know. There are ways to throw a wrench in scams. It's not all about being blown up that discourages people- it's that you can't trust anyone with anything. The moment someone asks for something, they're automatically the enemy and you should either run or destroy them. Every one in Eve is looking to take your ISK and keep you from gaining anymore.

That's what pisses people off.

All the world's a stage and all the men and women are the players.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#46 - 2014-07-14 23:12:24 UTC
Titania Hrothgar wrote:

The ISK scam would be an EASY fix- it'd require so little effort on CCP's part that by them not doing so, they're sending the message to all that it's both legal and encouraged.

They could fix the contract delivery stuff so that if you are delivering someone else's belongings and they destroy you with alts, you STILL have the right to get identical items and make the delivery.

I don't know. There are ways to throw a wrench in scams. It's not all about being blown up that discourages people- it's that you can't trust anyone with anything. The moment someone asks for something, they're automatically the enemy and you should either run or destroy them. Every one in Eve is looking to take your ISK and keep you from gaining anymore.

Hard to fathom that you've chosen to play EVE Online.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#47 - 2014-07-14 23:14:11 UTC
Titania Hrothgar wrote:

Not when they know it's both legal and encouraged.

Which it is, and everyone is told that constantly

By everyone

Even the advertising

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#48 - 2014-07-14 23:15:52 UTC
Titania Hrothgar wrote:

None of this would work because the ingenuity of the large player base exceeds that of the limited number of devs.

One scam would be replaced by another.

It's not up to CCP to stop the scammers from achieving their goals. It's up to the players not to fall for the scams and/or to figure out themselves how to beat them.
Titania Hrothgar
Nemesis Retribution
#49 - 2014-07-14 23:17:02 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Titania Hrothgar wrote:

Hard to fathom that you've chosen to play EVE Online.

Oh, I must be one of these people? I'm going to hide my head in the sands because I brought up one of the most common complaints of the people the OP posted about? You're very presumptuous, aren't you?

No, I'm not stupid enough to fall for these scams, therefore, I'm not bothered by them.

All the world's a stage and all the men and women are the players.

Little Dragon Khamez
Guardians of the Underworld
#50 - 2014-07-14 23:18:22 UTC
Op, I don't think there's a problem here. The gaming industry is fragmented into different demographics, not everyone likes Sci fi just like the fact that not everyone likes fantasy, eve suits a certain kind of player that other mmo's may not suit. Tales of infamy and outright greed may be unappealing to many but they are actually quite appealing to others, so the fact that some people in a different game talk about eve in negative terms isn't a problem per se, how many might have read those comments and decided to give eve a try as a result?

Dumbing down of Eve Online will result in it's destruction...

Antihrist Pripravnik
Scorpion Road Industry
#51 - 2014-07-14 23:19:50 UTC
EVE is like real life.

If you trust the wrong person, you will get burned.
If you depend on a wrong person, you will get burned.
If you invest in wrong business deal, you will get burned.
If you join the wrong group of people, you will get burned.

Personally, my experience with EVE community has been nothing but positive - for 8 years straight. That's because I'm an adult who is able to think and decide who and what to trust. Sure, there are extremes not directly linked to my game and experience that should be kept out of the game, but CCP handled that pretty good so far.

Personally, as an adult, I see games that are literally babysitting me as an insult to my social intelligence.
Ramona McCandless
Silent Vale
LinkNet
#52 - 2014-07-14 23:19:58 UTC
Titania Hrothgar wrote:

No, I'm not stupid enough to fall for these scams, therefore, I'm not bothered by them.

So what's your point?

Things that dont bother you affect you in what way? Why did you bring it up?

"Yea, some dude came in and was normal for first couple months, so I gave him director." - Sean Dunaway

"A singular character could be hired to penetrate another corps space... using gorilla like tactics..." - Chane Morgann

Nathaniel Raynaud
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2014-07-14 23:21:09 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
even a goon

Predjudice is the most poisonous thing that currently exists in the game

why do people hate goons so much, anyway. is it because they're libertarians
Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#54 - 2014-07-14 23:21:15 UTC
How to "fix" Eve Online for those who don't like it.

Copy/Paste WoW into Eve Directory.

Modify all files with race names to include "space" in front of it, i.e. Space Orcs, Space Dwarfs and Space Pandas.

Insert Eve Online welcome screen into startup sequence.

Enjoy "Eve Online".

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2014-07-14 23:21:16 UTC
Titania Hrothgar wrote:
It's not all about being blown up that discourages people- it's that you can't trust anyone with anything. The moment someone asks for something, they're automatically the enemy and you should either run or destroy them. Every one in Eve is looking to take your ISK and keep you from gaining anymore.

One of the things I love about EVE is that trust and friendship are very real and valuable.

Exactly because they're rare and you cannot just take them for granted because the game mechanics don't allow anyone to be naughty.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

Chewytowel Haklar
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2014-07-14 23:22:03 UTC
Yeah this game is nowhere near as awesome or special as its players seem to think it is. It's a mess of a game whose only saving grace is pvp, and that is a mess as well.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#57 - 2014-07-14 23:23:39 UTC
Myxx wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Eve deliberately excludes the stupid and the weak willied.
Its reputation is a reflection of that.
Your "ex" player quote is from infinity ziona...nuf said.

Grow up, eve is hard and we make it that way because we like it that way

Interestingly enough, Infinity Ziona was complaining about cyberbullying against him that wasn't happening (unless disagreeing with someone on the internet is cyberbullying, then I guess it was happening) around the same time that he decided to threaten people with pictures of himself, verbal abuse irl & his attack dogs.

Think about that for a minute OP.

I was wondering why that name was relevant. Did not know that. ohwell. in all honesty, it isn't a unique viewpoint I don't think.

It's not an uncommon occurence for someone who quits over some silly reason (in that particular case, he was being AFK cloaky camped by someone he had previously AFK cloaky camped) to 'add in a little extra', usually calling on the worst case scenarios in an attempt to bolster their inherently false & petty argument.

What this really comes down to is; Do you care what the sheeple think?

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#58 - 2014-07-14 23:25:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Titania Hrothgar wrote:
Oh, I must be one of these people? I'm going to hide my head in the sands because I brought up one of the most common complaints of the people the OP posted about? You're very presumptuous, aren't you?

However, people get pissed off because their level of anger is inversely proportional to their acceptance of responsibility.

No scammer and no scam ever, forced anyone to lose their money.

When people who fall for scams get angry it's because they want to blame someone else, rather than accept that it was their own fault, 100%.

As soon as there is a change in perspective, there is a change in the level of anger and an opportunity to learn from the situation and figure out how to not fall for the same thing again. Those are lessons that sometimes carry over into RL too, in terms of the general principles of dealing with difficult situations.

There is so much about this game that adds to it's depth and to the challenge it throws up.

Scams are very much a part of that. Scams shouldn't be removed so that people don't get angry.

If people don't want to feel foolish and get angry, that's up to them, not CCP.
Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#59 - 2014-07-14 23:27:16 UTC
Antihrist Pripravnik wrote:
EVE is like real life.

If you trust the wrong person, you will get burned.
If you depend on a wrong person, you will get burned.
If you invest in wrong business deal, you will get burned.
If you join the wrong group of people, you will get burned.

Personally, my experience with EVE community has been nothing but positive - for 8 years straight. That's because I'm an adult who is able to think and decide who and what to trust. Sure, there are extremes not directly linked to my game and experience that should be kept out of the game, but CCP handled that pretty good so far.

Personally, as an adult, I see games that are literally babysitting me as an insult to my social intelligence.

+1

And EVE is like real life. The problem is that msot gamers play games to get away from a sucky real life. EVE tends to remind people that "yep, it's confirmed, you suck, can't get laid out there, can't get a kill in here either" Cool

I'm not trying to escape anything (thus I fit in EVE), I play games to solve problems and feel good about solving them, like I solved the ganker and scammer problem 7 years ago (well, almost, I did buy a 100+ mil hauler once in a hurry lol, btu I've never been ganked despite killing millions of npcs).
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#60 - 2014-07-14 23:28:21 UTC
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
Mallak Azaria wrote:
LUMINOUS SPIRIT wrote:
New plays should not be griefed or scammed or ganked in any way, and there should be an area in EVE where it should be COMPLETELY safe for people to play.

New people should have a completely safe area to play while they learn, but if you make that available for just anyone then everywhere else is going to be very quiet.

And you've my point for me. If current gameplay mode is superior, then CCP has nothing to worry about. But if even a goon admits that this new safe mode proposed will be more attractive to EVERYONE, well, thats an answer in itself.

No, my point is new people should, by all rights, have a little area where they can learn the game without having to worry about people tricking them in to being blown up. Your point is something about the 50 million dollar vaporware known as Star Citizen.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.