These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Plex costs.

First post
Author
Unezka Turigahl
Det Som Engang Var
#41 - 2014-05-27 02:21:57 UTC
Buying stuff online in the US is mostly free of tax. But they are trying to change this...
Komi Toran
Perkone
Caldari State
#42 - 2014-05-27 02:45:53 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:
People keep saying tax, yet every time I buy from a US reseller only the listed price comes out of my account, no extra tax.......

Because, generally, it is legally your responsibility to pay the use tax to your state, not the online retailers'. (although it's not uncommon for states to require online retailers to collect sales taxes on sales within state when the retailer has a physical presence there).

Of course, few people do this, so, in practice, it's often "tax free."
Adriana Nolen
Sama Guild
#43 - 2014-05-27 03:58:49 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
EDIT: Thanks for the answer CCP Falcon


No worries! xD




Another thing to consider is online sales in the us don't have sales tax unless the vendor is physically located in your state.
Sibyyl
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#44 - 2014-05-27 04:41:42 UTC
Adriana Nolen wrote:
Another thing to consider is online sales in the us don't have sales tax unless the vendor is physically located in your state.

Many states (like mine) have changed this law and many more are expected to follow.

Joffy Aulx-Gao for CSM. Fix links and OGB. Ban stabs from plexes. Fulfill karmic justice.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#45 - 2014-05-27 05:18:57 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Currently the cost of Plex is nowhere near fair for all members of the community. Looking at amazon currently the cost of 6 Plex is substantially disproportionately cheap for all american players.

USA: $104.97
Germany: €89.99 ($122.77)
UK: £89.99 ($151.59)

On average the Americans save $32.21, anyone purchasing plex to increase there ISK is surely at an advantage if they are american. And considering this is a global server this certainly isn't fair on all members of the community. ( Which is why buying ISK outwith CCP is against rules)

If someone could explain why? Or even include the cost in their currency which isn't there.


The discrepancy between US and EU prices is due to tax differences. By law, EU prices have to be advertised inclusive of VAT, this is anywhere between 12-27% depending on the country you're buying in.

US Prices do not have to be advertised with state/federal sales tax included, this is why the prices appear lower.


When did the uk VAT rate go up to 44.4 percent? I missed that announcement.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ren Coursa
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2014-05-27 06:27:27 UTC
My, completely unhelpful and sort of dickish, 2 cents is that if this discrepancy in price bothers you and your finances enough to take it to the forums, you probably shouldn't be spending the money on a game either way.
Talia Prime
Imperial Militia
#47 - 2014-05-27 07:54:36 UTC
Hint: Don't buy from Amazon.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#48 - 2014-05-27 08:17:20 UTC
Unezka Turigahl wrote:
Buying stuff online in the US is mostly free of tax. But they are trying to change this...


This isn't entirely true. Vendors pay a sales tax for goods they sell to consumers in their home state, and consumers are expected to pay a use tax for goods they consume in one state but purchase in another. But most consumers are unaware of use taxes and end up not paying them.

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Lors Dornick
Kallisti Industries
#49 - 2014-05-27 11:30:33 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Currently the cost of Plex is nowhere near fair for all members of the community. Looking at amazon currently the cost of 6 Plex is substantially disproportionately cheap for all american players.


The discrepancy between US and EU prices is due to tax differences. By law, EU prices have to be advertised inclusive of VAT, this is anywhere between 12-27% depending on the country you're buying in.

US Prices do not have to be advertised with state/federal sales tax included, this is why the prices appear lower.


When did the uk VAT rate go up to 44.4 percent? I missed that announcement.

Please note that OP is using Amazon prices.

Amazon are free to set their own prices for any market they operate in.

CCP can't force any reseller to use the same price globally, nor can they force any reseller to offer the same deals everywhere.

CCP can control their own prices, both to end users and to resellers, but not what margin the resellers add.

CCP Greyscale: As to starbases, we agree it's pretty terrible, but we don't want to delay the entire release just for this one factor.

Rystan Wildstar
Perkone
Caldari State
#50 - 2014-05-27 13:33:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Rystan Wildstar
Lors Dornick wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Currently the cost of Plex is nowhere near fair for all members of the community. Looking at amazon currently the cost of 6 Plex is substantially disproportionately cheap for all american players.


The discrepancy between US and EU prices is due to tax differences. By law, EU prices have to be advertised inclusive of VAT, this is anywhere between 12-27% depending on the country you're buying in.

US Prices do not have to be advertised with state/federal sales tax included, this is why the prices appear lower.


When did the uk VAT rate go up to 44.4 percent? I missed that announcement.

Please note that OP is using Amazon prices.

Amazon are free to set their own prices for any market they operate in.

CCP can't force any reseller to use the same price globally, nor can they force any reseller to offer the same deals everywhere.

CCP can control their own prices, both to end users and to resellers, but not what margin the resellers add.


The Amazon price is generally the same as if I log into my account and buy directly from CCP. I've seen the 2 pack on sale once for $4 less on Amazon back in April for a few days. I'm going to add the 6 pack to my watched list and see if Amazon does a sale on those.
Eurynome Mangeiri
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#51 - 2014-05-27 13:40:16 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Currently the cost of Plex is nowhere near fair for all members of the community. Looking at amazon currently the cost of 6 Plex is substantially disproportionately cheap for all american players.

USA: $104.97
Germany: €89.99 ($122.77)
UK: £89.99 ($151.59)

On average the Americans save $32.21, anyone purchasing plex to increase there ISK is surely at an advantage if they are american. And considering this is a global server this certainly isn't fair on all members of the community. ( Which is why buying ISK outwith CCP is against rules)

If someone could explain why? Or even include the cost in their currency which isn't there.


The discrepancy between US and EU prices is due to tax differences. By law, EU prices have to be advertised inclusive of VAT, this is anywhere between 12-27% depending on the country you're buying in.

US Prices do not have to be advertised with state/federal sales tax included, this is why the prices appear lower.

yeah, sure.

now please go do the math, and read your own post again.

yes, you can hide in my pocket.......
Locii
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#52 - 2014-05-27 14:32:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Locii
http://www.evetimecode.com

they don't care where you live and sell to you in $. if your not American never buy plex directly from ccp
Aralez
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#53 - 2014-05-27 15:05:00 UTC
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Currently the cost of Plex is nowhere near fair for all members of the community. Looking at amazon currently the cost of 6 Plex is substantially disproportionately cheap for all american players.

USA: $104.97
Germany: €89.99 ($122.77)
UK: £89.99 ($151.59)

On average the Americans save $32.21, anyone purchasing plex to increase there ISK is surely at an advantage if they are american. And considering this is a global server this certainly isn't fair on all members of the community. ( Which is why buying ISK outwith CCP is against rules)

If someone could explain why? Or even include the cost in their currency which isn't there.


cause frankly USA is awesome... till you get a medical bill.
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#54 - 2014-05-27 16:33:36 UTC
Andski wrote:
Unezka Turigahl wrote:
Buying stuff online in the US is mostly free of tax. But they are trying to change this...


This isn't entirely true. Vendors pay a sales tax for goods they sell to consumers in their home state, and consumers are expected to pay a use tax for goods they consume in one state but purchase in another. But most consumers are unaware of use taxes and end up not paying them.


Correct. Just because most people fail to pay their sales and use tax liability does not mean that it doesn't exist.
Khergit Deserters
Crom's Angels
#55 - 2014-05-27 19:43:59 UTC
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
isn't fair


I agree

Lets make it fair then, shall we?

CCP! We demand you increase all PLEX to the most expensive rate IMMEADIATELY!

This is usually what happens when there's a protest about unequal treatment. "It's not fair, the employees in Subsidiary Company X get more of their insurance premiums paid for than we do in Subsidiary Y!" Solution: Eliminate the benefit for the guys in Subsidiary X, now everybody pays the same higher rate.
Varesk
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#56 - 2014-05-27 21:43:43 UTC
Merrica,

****,


Yeah!

Gospadin
Bastard Children of Poinen
#57 - 2014-05-27 22:13:22 UTC
Varesk wrote:
Merrica,

****,


Yeah!



Technically, it's:

'Murica! **** Yea!
Zorena
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#58 - 2014-05-27 22:31:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Zorena
And FInland/Åland islands have to pay €104.97.. 143 U.S. dollars
D'Kelle
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2014-06-02 13:17:05 UTC
Don't forget guys that a lot of countries are strapped for cash; But they excel in their ability to tax you any which way and more, so as any chancellor from any country needs to increase his/her countries income with the absolute minimum of effort this is one lucrative way for it to be done. cynical? maybe, but there it is. however the base rate of the virtual product less any tax unique to any local bandit, er sorry, ahem tax /revenue system should be the same it should not cost any more at PRE TAX rate to sell in Australia, China, America, UK, Germany etc. only the tax added later should make a difference, unless a company is pitching a product upon a perception that country 'A' can afford a product more than in country 'B' or are attempting to sway/encourage a given customer base by a base price difference.
Harrison Tato
Yamato Holdings
#60 - 2014-06-02 16:21:12 UTC
Zorena wrote:
And FInland/Åland islands have to pay €104.97.. 143 U.S. dollars


Finland Finland Finland. The country where I want to beeeee your mountains so lofty.............