These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Plex costs.

First post
Author
Greckor Arrkana
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#21 - 2014-05-26 16:04:05 UTC
Emma Muutaras wrote:
get a proxy that shows your in the US and buy at the lower rate? not sure if thats legal though as your kinda avoiding the tax you should pay

Have to use american payment method. Doesn't work with paypal or my card :(
Amateratsu
The Pegasus Project
#22 - 2014-05-26 16:18:58 UTC
Plex are way overpriced anyway,

You can buy a years subscription for £89.99.

But for the same price you only get 6 months worth of Plex.

If you buy ETC from shatteredCrystal.com and then convert the ETC ingame to plax you get them for €76.91 or £62.32.
Gully Alex Foyle
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2014-05-26 19:00:50 UTC
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
But you are talking about ISK, a separate VIRTUAL currency.

Highlighted the important part.

Make space glamorous! Is EVE dying or not? Ask the EVE-O Death-o-meter!

John Ending
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2014-05-26 19:05:27 UTC
USA #1
Marsha Mallow
#25 - 2014-05-26 19:06:38 UTC
There should be an explanation about pricing somewhere on the knowledgebase. I've just had a quick look and it's not mentioned.

It does look unfair from a UK/EU perspective, particularly when Amazon run promos we can't access (and slip up and price them at 10% of the price they intended) :P If there's no permenant/official clarification on the available Wiki/knowledgebase these queries will just keep rolling in.

Ripard Teg > For the morons in the room:

Sweets > U can dd my face any day

ElSuerte Diego
Los Perros Hermanos
#26 - 2014-05-26 19:41:37 UTC
I'm kinda surprised that nobody's tried to arbitrage this.
Cypherous
Liberty Rogues
Aprilon Dynasty
#27 - 2014-05-26 19:56:15 UTC
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Ramona McCandless wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
You guys are exceedingly helpful and friendly!

Edit: And to those who do help, thanks.

Why would PLEX prices be under different rules for any other commodity?

Removing VAT from the equation it is still £74.99. Vat isn't £30.

Actually it would be £72

And that's not what I said or meant

$/£/Eurobuck prices always differ widely

Why should PLEX be any different?

Also no need to get rude with us. You asked a question that none of us have a definative answer to (as we dont work for CCP) and then you call us unhelpful when we make our suggestions.

You are being helpful. Even the person telling me to google it is helpful. I realize this is a commonly raised issue. And that you guys must get bored answering the same question. But i am confused in the need of comments referring to the originality. I am sure that you could read the first line a realise that i am a massive idiot and not decide to comment. I understand and really don't care. Useless comments (Which clearly is ironic for me to say) is where that response was aimed.

Regarding the fact that prices do vary i completely agree. But you are talking about ISK, a separate virtual currency.
So there should be an exchange rate for:

USD> ISK 6668571.97294
EURO>ISK 5701718.66091
GBP>ISP 4617718.84689

Average: 5662669.82691

On average exchange rate:
USA: +15.08%
GER: +0.68%
UK: -22.6%

These differences are substantial!
And there are plenty of examples of prices remaining balances through exchange rates. For example steam is rather good at this.

EDIT: Thanks for the answer CCP Falcon

CCP doesn't price anything with relation to actual ingame ISK, why would they :P
Onictus
Capital Fusion.
Pandemic Horde
#28 - 2014-05-26 19:56:54 UTC
ElSuerte Diego wrote:
I'm kinda surprised that nobody's tried to arbitrage this.

By the OP's numbers I save about $10 the price that I pay after taxes and international purchase fees would be something like $114. Use sales taxes are leved by the states NOT the Federal level, this is why you don't have to include taxes, you would have to list 50 separte States plus the territories.
Bohneik Itohn
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2014-05-26 20:28:56 UTC
Kind of overlooking the fact that the tax rate between each country varies greatly, and that tax rates in the U.S. vary from state to state.

Amazon.com accepted paypal, last I checked?

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2014-05-26 20:30:50 UTC
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
... cost of 6 Plex ....

USA: $104.97
Germany: €89.99 ($122.77)
UK: £89.99 ($151.59)

Russia: 3299 RUB ($96.2) in Eve Online PLEX Store.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Bohneik Itohn
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#31 - 2014-05-26 20:32:08 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
... cost of 6 Plex ....

There you go, now you have to hate the Russians.

Wait, CCP kills kittens now too?!  - Freyya

Are you a forum alt? Have you ever wondered why your experience on the forums is always so frustrating and unrewarding? This may help.

SurrenderMonkey
The Exchange Collective
Solyaris Chtonium
#32 - 2014-05-26 20:53:54 UTC  |  Edited by: SurrenderMonkey
Greckor Arrkana wrote:

Regarding the fact that prices do vary i completely agree. But you are talking about ISK, a separate virtual currency.
So there should be an exchange rate for:

USD> ISK 6668571.97294
EURO>ISK 5701718.66091
GBP>ISP 4617718.84689

Average: 5662669.82691

On average exchange rate:
USA: +15.08%
GER: +0.68%
UK: -22.6%

This is relevant to... absolutely nothing. CCP is selling game time, in the form of plex, for real money. The real money price is set by the concerns of the real world, where there are things like VAT, varying tax rates, and CCPs requirement for income. CCP only cares about CCP's take (and rightly so), because they are running a ******* business, stupid. What are they supposed to say, here?

"Oh, we'll go ahead and eat that VAT ourselves just so you get a fair shake in the plex:isk exchange rate - nevermind that we have to pay for salaries and bandwidth and marketing, etc. - it's fine, clearly fairness in your RMTing experience is the most important thing, keeping the lights on seems so petty by comparison."

Players are selling game-time, in the form of plex, for virtual internet spaceship money. The price is determined by supply and demand in the virtual marketplace in the virtual internet spaceship world, and doesn't give a good goddamn what you paid for it IRL.

"Help, I'm bored with missions!"

http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

Eli Hakomairos
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#33 - 2014-05-26 21:02:30 UTC
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Currently the cost of Plex is nowhere near fair for all members of the community. Looking at amazon currently the cost of 6 Plex is substantially disproportionately cheap for all american players.

On average the Americans save $32.21, anyone purchasing plex to increase there ISK is surely at an advantage if they are american. And considering this is a global server this certainly isn't fair on all members of the community. ( Which is why buying ISK outwith CCP is against rules)

If someone could explain why? Or even include the cost in their currency which isn't there.

try using the US amazon.
Adrie Atticus
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#34 - 2014-05-26 21:35:04 UTC
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
Currently the cost of Plex is nowhere near fair for all members of the community. Looking at amazon currently the cost of 6 Plex is substantially disproportionately cheap for all american players.

On average the Americans save $32.21, anyone purchasing plex to increase there ISK is surely at an advantage if they are american. And considering this is a global server this certainly isn't fair on all members of the community. ( Which is why buying ISK outwith CCP is against rules)

If someone could explain why? Or even include the cost in their currency which isn't there.

VAT, but if you're in the EU, just order from the US, $31.49 for 2 PLEX on retailers, which comes down to$94.47 (69€ at today's rate). Electronic goods which are not bundled with physical goods are techincally under customs fee + VAT, but unless you use the codes to run a company, it's fully legal to dodge the VAT this way.
Mardris Fol
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2014-05-26 22:40:37 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:

The discrepancy between US and EU prices is due to tax differences. By law, EU prices have to be advertised inclusive of VAT, this is anywhere between 12-27% depending on the country you're buying in.

US Prices do not have to be advertised with state/federal sales tax included, this is why the prices appear lower.

UK VAT is 20%

The ex-VAT price for the UK is $151.59 / 1.2 = 126$, which is still more than 20% above the US price.

Then allow for the fact that US sales tax is less than half the US sales tax and it just gets worse.

Of course $/£ rate fluctuates but it's never so bad that the PLEX prices are close.
Hugs Kansene
#36 - 2014-05-26 22:44:12 UTC  |  Edited by: Hugs Kansene
Adrie Atticus wrote:
it's fully legal to dodge the VAT this way.

But how can you sleep at night knowing you're depriving your dearly beloved welfare states of much needed funding? I'm sure a bureaucrat somewhere is going to go without his caviar and brie because of you. Think about that.

Mardris Fol wrote:

Then allow for the fact that US sales tax is less than half the US sales tax and it just gets worse.

lol
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2014-05-26 23:04:44 UTC
Bohneik Itohn wrote:
March rabbit wrote:
Greckor Arrkana wrote:
... cost of 6 Plex ....

There you go, now you have to hate the Russians.

that's ok.... everybody hates us already Lol

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Felicity Love
Doomheim
#38 - 2014-05-27 00:02:53 UTC

LUXURIES are bad, mmmmmkay ? Games, like booze and smokes, are a luxury ... ergo, you get taxed... bad, bad, bad.

Roll

"EVE is dying." -- The Four Forum Trolls of the Apocalypse.   ( Pick four, any four. They all smell.  )

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#39 - 2014-05-27 00:29:14 UTC
Yet another reason to learn Russian Cool
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#40 - 2014-05-27 01:38:17 UTC
People keep saying tax, yet every time I buy from a US reseller only the listed price comes out of my account, no extra tax.......