These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

To gank or not to gank, that is the question...

Author
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#101 - 2014-01-17 16:39:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Gogela
Tuk'ata Rucor wrote:
*snip*

EDIT: I keep getting mixed signals. Some veterans have told me that Destroyers are useless and I should just focus on getting past them, to Cruisers. Then I get some veterans that say Destroyers are still a class up from Frigates. So it's just a matter of better defense and or bonuses. I've heard that a Destroyer can take out a Cruiser, even Battlecruiser. And also, that a Frigate can take out the same. I know, all opinions are of course bias. But any info helps. I've used a Frigate and Destroyer. And I understand the Destroyer has more guns, so more damage... Duh. But I've also been podded very fast in a Destroyer. I'm currently running a Thrasher (I've gotten mixed signals on that too), and it's fitted as best I can. If I was online I would post my fitting. But the last time I went out and just roamed around with the fleet, I got podded. It was fair, and totally my fault. I wasn't paying attention, so I didn't keep aligning and staying on a fast pace. I was just cruising randomly. A battlecruiser came out of nowhere, pop. My fault. I definitely can get away. But I wasn't prepared. But that's not a very good situation to base my fitting off of. My fault, not the fitting. My corp CEO has been helping me with fits and such. I've been training my skills to enable me to use those fits, so I'm going at a nice pace. But still not quite there lol.

One of the few things I've learned in EvE is that getting wrapped up in this class of ship is kind of maddening... because there's no point. Even with a lot of SP I still have all kinds of uses for the T1 frigates. Everything has at least one roll to fill... most ships have many rolls they can fill in combat and many many more for utility reasons. Going with the top battleclinic fit isn't always the best option for what YOU want to do.

The only ship class I would NOT spend too much time on about is the Interdictors. They are T2 destroyers and they are flying s***cans of death (flying coffin is an alternate proper name for the Flycatcher, ftr). I've got a fit for some ninja looting in them... but otherwise they are bad and CCP should feel bad that they let them get that way. ...still though. Ninja Eris is probably the best lowsec ninja looter hull.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Penguinizer Illat
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2014-01-17 21:45:03 UTC
Interdictors aren't meant to be used for combat though. Their purpose in life is to drop bubbles in nullsec fights. They're not very good outside of that.
Herzog Wolfhammer
Sigma Special Tactics Group
#103 - 2014-01-17 22:30:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Herzog Wolfhammer
Even I, the highsec pubbie sperg overlord (according to the goons), can see a reason to suicide gank and consider it legitimate.

But I don't gank. There are times when I wanted to, because there are no limits to how low people can go.

But the last thing I want is this: when someone is AFK in a shiney or hauler, it's almost a given that they will be ganked and if someone was AFK in a Tech 3 in structure, or a hauler you could pop with a dessie full of expensive loot, I would be tempted except that I don't know WHY that player is AFK.

Is the player AFK for being a lazy buttbag?

Is the player AFK for not heeding the warnings about what you put into a more fragile ship?

Is the player AFK because he passed out drunk and clicked "warp to" instead of "Dock" as he was falling out of his chair? (Friends don't let friends play Eve while smashed)

My fear is that the player is AFK because his kid fell down the stairs, or was choking on something, or the dog ran out into the street or some RL emergency like that. And if the kid is all messed up, and the player comes back to log out before running to the hospital or is waiting for the ambulance, and see's he's been popped, I don't want my name on the loss mail.

I may be a douchebag, but I'm not a ******* douchebag.

Bring back DEEEEP Space!

Kaarous Aldurald
Black Hydra Consortium.
#104 - 2014-01-17 22:41:55 UTC
Herzog Wolfhammer wrote:
My fear is that the player is AFK because his kid fell down the stairs, or was choking on something, or the dog ran out into the street or some RL emergency like that. And if the kid is all messed up, and the player comes back to log out before running to the hospital or is waiting for the ambulance, and see's he's been popped, I don't want my name on the loss mail.

I may be a douchebag, but I'm not a ******* douchebag.

You know, normally I troll you, but I'll go ahead and play ball on this one.

I have been there. I have a little daughter, my only kid.

I dropped my laptop and raced over to her when she fell down the stairs. Yes, my ship was destroyed and I lost my pod.

But I didn't give one good goddamn about what happened in the freaking video game. Because it's not real life.

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."

One of ours, ten of theirs.

Best Meltdown Ever.

Chopper Rollins
hahahlolspycorp
#105 - 2014-01-17 22:45:47 UTC
Logical 101 wrote:
Ego should go hand-in-hand with some form of actual achievement...

Yeah but it doesn't.
Also that "should" word can really mess with your head.

Goggles. Making me look good. Making you look good.

Nicolai Serkanner
Incredible.
Brave Collective
#106 - 2014-01-17 22:50:11 UTC
There are people actually reading these topics after the OP?
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#107 - 2014-01-18 05:20:47 UTC
I'm about to gank someone.

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#108 - 2014-01-18 05:23:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Infinity Ziona
It's so cheap that it is rarely done for profit. There is a misplaced hate for people in highsec, somewhat like real life prejudice. Why do certain groups in real life beat an outsider despite the rewards (an iPhone) vs the risk (arrest, prison) being so poor.

Gankers are stupid sheep, asking for reasoning is pretty futile.

Edit: I'm not inferring an ethical equivalence but rather a similar causation.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Paranoid Loyd
#109 - 2014-01-18 07:00:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Paranoid Loyd
Infinity Ziona wrote:
It's so cheap that it is rarely done for profit. There is a misplaced hate for people in highsec, somewhat like real life prejudice. Why do certain groups in real life beat an outsider despite the rewards (an iPhone) vs the risk (arrest, prison) being so poor.

You don't know what you are talking about.

I know plenty of people including myself who only gank for profit. You're still bitter about your tengu loss, and you still dont understand what you did wrong. Because you let your holier than thou get in the way of understanding you deserved to be ganked for autopiloting gankbait.

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Infinity Ziona
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#110 - 2014-01-18 07:09:53 UTC
Paranoid Loyd wrote:
Infinity Ziona wrote:

You don't know what you are talking about.

I know plenty of people including myself who only gank for profit. You're still bitter about your tengu loss, and you still dont understand what you did wrong. Because you let your holy your than though get in the way of understanding you deserved to be ganked for autopiloting gankbait.

I lost a tengu? :) News to me lol.

I know exactly what I'm talking about.

CCP Fozzie “We can see how much money people are making in nullsec and it is, a gigantic amount, a shit-ton… in null sec anomalies. “*

Kaalrus pwned..... :)

Paranoid Loyd
#111 - 2014-01-18 07:16:06 UTC
Infinity Ziona wrote:

I lost a tengu? :) News to me lol.

My mistake, there are so many whiners these days I get them confused. Ugh

"There is only one authority in this game, and that my friend is violence. The supreme authority upon which all other authority is derived." ISD Max Trix

Fix the Prospect!

Bethan Le Troix
Krusual Investigation Agency
#112 - 2014-01-19 13:43:08 UTC
Logical 101 wrote:
Tuk'ata Rucor wrote:
ego boost

This is something I have never, ever understood.

From the perspective of someone who has never been suicide ganked nor has ever participated in the act, I can't understand how can you could possibly derive an ego boost from suicide ganking.

When suicide ganking, you are, quite literally, exhibiting zero skill. None. Nothing. Nada. Zip. You massed, you pressed a button, and you died. Your FC didn't display any good decision making, your logistics didn't perform admirably, you didn't take down someone who came into the fight with the intention of crushing you, you didn't break free from a certain death tackle only to sweep around and point a key ship, you didn't, you didn't, you didn't... and so on ad infinitum.

Ego should go hand-in-hand with some form of actual achievement. I fail to see how being a bottom feeder could possibly make anyone feel better about themselves.

It's PvP. Some people would say that EVE Online is purely about PvP. I would disagree with that but there you go.
Bethan Le Troix
Krusual Investigation Agency
#113 - 2014-01-19 13:47:19 UTC
Carmen Electra wrote:
acemastr Ocer wrote:
running around with 30bil in their cargo

Just because this sort of KM exists, doesn't mean that it's common. Seeing a T1 indy with >1b in cargo is pretty rare. Based on my experience, I'd say you'll see one of these once every 3 days assuming you're scanning down ships for 3 hours a day. My threshold for ganking was >400m. On average, I'd say you'll see about two of these a day (scanning 3 hours a day). Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Again, this is all based on my experience ganking. My ganking toon has 116 kills, 49b damage done, average of 415m/kill. I'm sure we've got plenty of people who will come out of the woodwork now claiming 10b/day in ganking, etc.

One of my favorite things to do in EVE is fly around the Jita and/or Amarr pipe in a Nereus (hint: you can fit hilarious tank on these things) loaded with ~1.5b in goodies collecting KRs.

It is VERY common although not as common as untanked Retrievers/Mackinaws/Hulks. These idiots in T1 industrials full of far too much cargo are being ganked every day. I won't say who is doing it or where but it's not me doing it or being ganked. Smile
Tuk'ata Rucor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#114 - 2014-01-19 13:52:02 UTC
Well I went out on my first fleet run last night. It was about 6 of us. We just cruised around to different locations that the FC posted in chat. Took me a few minutes until I realized that there was no set destination or goal to end up at. Goal being an ending destination. So I continued to follow. We would warp to a gate, wait for the scout to tell us it's clear (or not), then jump in and continue. We hit 1 person... Then entire time. The rest were just gate rats. I was under the impression that Null-sec is swarming and there's stuff going on everywhere, so you have to watch out. Aside from the few groups of rats (NPC), I'm pretty sure I could've autopilot the whole time lol. So we jump through this one gate... There was a Battlecruiser. The set up was actually interesting and engaging to me. The scout stayed behind while we were posted on the other dude of the gate. He "pushed" the Battlecruiser (forced it) to come back through the gate, where we were all waiting. Someone tossed their bubbles and we waited for the Battlecruiser to decloak. As soon as it did, we all aimed and started the massacre. Well... Didn't happen. I guess the rest of my fleet got hit with something hard enough to scare them. Because by the time I looked up, they were all warping off. There was no instruction, no command. All there was, was "oh ****, warp off, warp off"! And that was said AS they were already warping. I got left behind (I thought a fleet is like a team, where you all die or all at least to try... Together. Not all of a sudden, "every man for himself"), and that's ok. I got stuck, hit really really good with some rockets and whatnot. Bottom line, I got podded. This is not a complaint lol. I didn't mind it at all. I know where I messed up and even so, I think it was entirely fun. He just outdid me, and I had a couple mistakes. But... My FC wasn't even calling primaries the entire roam. Someone asked, "so what's the primary"? The FC would reply, "everything". Yes, we know you want to kill everyone in sight. But we were all as a team as therefore should all be considered. I don't want to run a fleet nor do I want to even make a corp. But I do think it's important to organize, plan, then attack. Tactically. But the FC apologized. It's not like anyone was mad, just the principle of the duties of leadership. But all in all, it was fun. Yes, lots of traveling and jumping. But with a fleet, it's good fun. Well... On comms anyway. I lost about 3-5 million in stuff. But well worth it. I learned a lot.

EDIT: Didn't mention, but I will now... I've also been getting mixed signals on the debate over if ganking is profitable or not. From experience and corp talk, I know there's profit there. But... It's far between. Not few, just far between. And to say that gankers are the lowest scum of the earth... No. They are just an essential part of the EvE Universe and balance. And I'm not even ganking people yet, if at all. I do think that ganking AND playing the market (in between), is a smart choice. Not only does it give you things to do, and isk, but it also allows for more profit gain.
Erotica 1
Krypteia Operations
#115 - 2014-01-19 17:18:24 UTC
For more tears, visit www.minerbumping.com

See Bio for isk doubling rules. If you didn't read bio, chances are you funded those who did.

RAIN Arthie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#116 - 2014-01-19 18:01:09 UTC
Tuk'ata Rucor wrote:
Well I went out on my first fleet run last night. It was about 6 of us. We just cruised around to different locations that the FC posted in chat. Took me a few minutes until I realized that there was no set destination or goal to end up at. Goal being an ending destination. So I continued to follow. We would warp to a gate, wait for the scout to tell us it's clear (or not), then jump in and continue. We hit 1 person... Then entire time. The rest were just gate rats. I was under the impression that Null-sec is swarming and there's stuff going on everywhere, so you have to watch out. Aside from the few groups of rats (NPC), I'm pretty sure I could've autopilot the whole time lol. So we jump through this one gate... There was a Battlecruiser. The set up was actually interesting and engaging to me. The scout stayed behind while we were posted on the other dude of the gate. He "pushed" the Battlecruiser (forced it) to come back through the gate, where we were all waiting. Someone tossed their bubbles and we waited for the Battlecruiser to decloak. As soon as it did, we all aimed and started the massacre. Well... Didn't happen. I guess the rest of my fleet got hit with something hard enough to scare them. Because by the time I looked up, they were all warping off. There was no instruction, no command. All there was, was "oh ****, warp off, warp off"! And that was said AS they were already warping. I got left behind (I thought a fleet is like a team, where you all die or all at least to try... Together. Not all of a sudden, "every man for himself"), and that's ok. I got stuck, hit really really good with some rockets and whatnot. Bottom line, I got podded. This is not a complaint lol. I didn't mind it at all. I know where I messed up and even so, I think it was entirely fun. He just outdid me, and I had a couple mistakes. But... My FC wasn't even calling primaries the entire roam. Someone asked, "so what's the primary"? The FC would reply, "everything". Yes, we know you want to kill everyone in sight. But we were all as a team as therefore should all be considered. I don't want to run a fleet nor do I want to even make a corp. But I do think it's important to organize, plan, then attack. Tactically. But the FC apologized. It's not like anyone was mad, just the principle of the duties of leadership. But all in all, it was fun. Yes, lots of traveling and jumping. But with a fleet, it's good fun. Well... On comms anyway. I lost about 3-5 million in stuff. But well worth it. I learned a lot.

EDIT: Didn't mention, but I will now... I've also been getting mixed signals on the debate over if ganking is profitable or not. From experience and corp talk, I know there's profit there. But... It's far between. Not few, just far between. And to say that gankers are the lowest scum of the earth... No. They are just an essential part of the EvE Universe and balance. And I'm not even ganking people yet, if at all. I do think that ganking AND playing the market (in between), is a smart choice. Not only does it give you things to do, and isk, but it also allows for more profit gain.

Never heard anyone ganking for a profit. usually I hear of ganking going on in HS. In HS I hear a lot of ganks get freighters, then either split the loot after selling everything. It's more of "a fun thing to do" than a career option.
Tuk'ata Rucor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#117 - 2014-01-19 23:59:04 UTC
RAIN Arthie wrote:
Tuk'ata Rucor wrote:

Never heard anyone ganking for a profit. usually I hear of ganking going on in HS. In HS I hear a lot of ganks get freighters, then either split the loot after selling everything. It's more of "a fun thing to do" than a career option.

I totally see that now, after going out on a run. There's is no goal, no career, just "fun". Ganking is basically for the opportunity to hang out and chat with people on your corp, rather than as a job or income. But you're right... From what I know, the profit ganking is done in High-sec. Taking out haulers and freighters full of stuff. Then of course Concord comes, you die, someone else in corp or fleet goes and picks up the loot, sells it, splits the cash however many ways.
Royaldo
Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk Amarr branch.
Clever Use of Neutral Toons
#118 - 2014-01-20 00:19:18 UTC
My name is Royaldo, and thats why I gank.
Tuk'ata Rucor
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#119 - 2014-01-20 02:25:26 UTC
Royaldo wrote:
My name is Royaldo, and thats why I gank.

Lol I was waiting for, "I'm Batman". Hahaha.
Digital Messiah
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#120 - 2014-01-20 02:38:25 UTC
Ganking is the equivalence of a high level player on a pvp server. Who goes to kill low level players who have no chance in hell of defending themselves. So they can feel accomplished about affecting somebodys out look on their current situation for fun. If a player isn't ganking for profit. They are instead ganking for the lulz, tears, enjoyment of creating a pain point. It is in fairly every game out there and is a bit character building. So to answer the question. Yes gank if you want to. But do realize that people will most likely not like you afterwards. You are one step above awoxers, and one step below afk cloak pilots in null.

To clarify, in no way is ganking similar to bullying. It is a video game. And you have options albeit more elaborate than a chat filter to stop it. I have been ganked and learned not to be ganked as easily. Be the loss mail, wear the loss mail, learn from the loss mail.

Something clever