These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Please Help Me Understand the Goonfolk

Author
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#101 - 2013-05-31 07:46:45 UTC
Being a goon is about never logging in while pubbies feed you free isk & put all the effort towards your success only for you to keep it all for yourself & refuse to acknowledge their part in said success.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Grozen
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#102 - 2013-05-31 13:38:52 UTC
Players who bring content into the game are always nice, and from what I've seen in burn jita2 it was rarely loss of ships for the goons.The freighters were cherry picked so that they were really worth ganking or at the least not at loss.

knowledge is power.

Mhax Arthie
Doomheim
#103 - 2013-05-31 15:35:34 UTC
Grozen wrote:
Players who bring content into the game are always nice, and from what I've seen in burn jita2 it was rarely loss of ships for the goons.The freighters were cherry picked so that they were really worth ganking or at the least not at loss.

Totally agree. I so hate the npc scripted bad guys! But the dudes who pay 10 buck for idiot filter is the best non scripted bad guys evah. Is why EVE is the best mmo on market atm.
Brujo Loco
Brujeria Teologica
#104 - 2013-05-31 16:24:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Brujo Loco
What I enjoy about these types of threads is seeing the different aspects of a sub-set of the game I will never ever be part of as I enjoy parts of the game others will never ever be part of by simple collusion of playtime/mentality/interests and affiliation

After 8 years of being here, I have seen how EVE is an amazing melting pot of extremely well defined regional, political, social and economical self imposed boundaries that mutate in game to create new wholes or perpetuate said boundaries creating marvelous constructs of entities that are fascinating, from a certain perspective, read and see about.

The Metagame and the social intricacies within it are so vast and complex and so based on human perceptions, thus flawed from the start in my opinion, that EVE from an outsider´s view ends up being a highly different game depending not only from the region you are looking at it, but even timezone, day of the week, month or specific hour, only adding spice to the wonderfully wrought mesh chain that is eve.

Reminds me of the old saying a teacher used to tell my class regarding perceptions, when studying human figure drawing tests.

"No matter how hard you look at that wall, you will never be able to see how it looks on the other side, unless you go to the other room, and even then, you will stop seeing the previous wall" . Kinda loses a bit of the force of it when translated and out of the context, but that's how I feel , when reading this or that news site, this or that thread, or this or that forum regarding eve.

So alien, yet so close, so unknown yet so predictable.

A game that after 8 years still remains mysterious, simply because of the people and player driven content and the profound feuds that spawn within it.

Most games after 1 year remain the same , eve is always evolving, always in flux, beyond the crap ui, lame graphics and spreadsheets and awful menus and repetitive mind melting station music.

The Flux , the Chaos, the Drama and the way people move and react to it is always fresh, despite containing the same basic elements over and over.

This game is simply marvelous.

Inner Sayings of BrujoLoco: http://eve-files.com/sig/brujoloco

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#105 - 2013-05-31 19:18:37 UTC
Goons are members of the Something Awful forum community. Many goons that play EVE are members of Goonswarm Federation. They play the game however the hell they want, just like everyone else.

I'm not sure what is difficult for people to understand about that.
Lyza Kimbo
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#106 - 2013-05-31 19:35:50 UTC
EvilweaselSA wrote:
everyone who doesn't think they're a part is merely a pawn or target practice in the game of space thrones



Weasel here is a fairly typical goon.

Sometimes he can be a decent guy, and offer helpful information. But mostly he just says things like this.

Bottom line about the goons is that they are griefers. They get off on causing other people misery.

Now, they may or may not be really cool guys if you are a Goon, but as far as the rest of us are concerned, they're just an extraordinarily successful band of scammers, liars, con-men, gankers, griefers, and general ass-hats. Never, ever trust a goon, at all, under any circumstances, even if they are offering to recruit you.
Adamai
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#107 - 2013-05-31 20:38:57 UTC
Goons is a rather broad abbreviation of a group of people hell bent on being incredibly smart but without ever showing it. a goon is a goon. they lark around and nothing is beyond fun for them, if your prize ratting ship cripples you when they kill it and causes you to leave the game then that's just another successful hit for a goon of goon swarm.

my advice is take what they say with a pinch of salt as its usually from a little bee and not the guys in charge, most of the things they say and threaten never take place.

all in all goons true actions are usually well planned and executed. if they are not then its the work of the little bees and not an alliance decision.

goons will be goons untill they have a serious goal that works in their favour. after all they did shut down band of brothers, not much more you can say really.

ps

they are incredibly opportunistic. they care very little about allies and even less about small corps or other alliances. they do care about the community of eve which is refreshing given goons past history in other games.

for example the second life incident, if im not mistaken goons created a gremlin type creature that shut the servers down. they usually swarm from one game to another to usually cause more harm than good.

so just keep that in mind when dealing with them and never trust them or rely on them unless you know 100% what your trusting them to do or with is in their personal interest.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#108 - 2013-06-01 03:30:49 UTC
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
Goons are members of the Something Awful forum community. Many goons that play EVE are members of Goonswarm Federation. They play the game however the hell they want, just like everyone else.

I'm not sure what is difficult for people to understand about that.

That's not what I learned from Riverini.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

KuroVolt
The Legion of Spoon
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#109 - 2013-06-01 03:47:18 UTC
Its actually pretty funny that alot of people are convinced Goons are all a different kind of people just because they belong to a certain organisation.

See if there was an actual cultural difference [like say for example the russians] then I would understand this kind of threads [then again, the threads would get shut down for bordering racism].

Explain to me how Goons are different? Sure you can dislike the organisation as a whole, herd mentality will steer people in a certain direction that can lead to organisations giving off a certain vibe.

But a Goon isnt some special type of human being that gravitates to a certain community, every large alliance has asshats and good people alike.
People join and leave Goonswarm every day, does dropping your roles in goons somehow change your brain anatomy and change your personality?

tldr; I can understand the posts where people say they like/dislike Goons as an organisation, but the people saying *a goon is this* or *a goon is that* are just being retarted.

BoBwins Law: As a discussion/war between two large nullsec entities grows longer, the probability of one comparing the other to BoB aproaches near certainty.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#110 - 2013-06-01 03:49:20 UTC
KuroVolt wrote:
People join and leave Goonswarm every day, does dropping your roles in goons somehow change your brain anatomy and change your personality?

tldr; I can understand the posts where people say they like/dislike Goons as an organisation, but the people saying *a goon is this* or *a goon is that* are just being retarted.

No, because there's corp history.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#111 - 2013-06-01 04:27:32 UTC
Xinivrae wrote:
Why do goons do what they do? Couldn't tell you, but I do what I do because I want to have fun while playing a video game. Pretty simple really.

I'll never understand why people think we're so different from them and need to be analyzed.


Let me put it this way:

We analyze the Goons purely because you're so different. We don't understand how you can derive pleasure from harassing people into quitting a game, particularly upon considering that each person you drive away, or harass to the point of 'I'm not coming back', is one less subscriber to keep this game going.

You see, your actions are counter-intuitive: you want to have fun playing the game, but you want to do that by making other people less inclined to play.. In essence: while the vast majority of EvE's player population wants to help grow the game and attract subscribers, you appear to desire the exact opposite.

If you drive enough people away -- however unlikely this is to actually happen -- CCP may even decide that EvE isn't profitable to operate any more. At that point, congratulations -- you've shut down a business and forced dozens of people out of work.

You act without understanding the self-destructive nature of your behavior.

That's why we think you're deserving of analysis.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

Robus Muvila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#112 - 2013-06-01 04:32:53 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
Xinivrae wrote:
Why do goons do what they do? Couldn't tell you, but I do what I do because I want to have fun while playing a video game. Pretty simple really.

I'll never understand why people think we're so different from them and need to be analyzed.


Let me put it this way:

We analyze the Goons purely because you're so different. We don't understand how you can derive pleasure from harassing people into quitting a game, particularly upon considering that each person you drive away, or harass to the point of 'I'm not coming back', is one less subscriber to keep this game going.

You see, your actions are counter-intuitive: you want to have fun playing the game, but you want to do that by making other people less inclined to play.. In essence: while the vast majority of EvE's player population wants to help grow the game and attract subscribers, you appear to desire the exact opposite.

If you drive enough people away -- however unlikely this is to actually happen -- CCP may even decide that EvE isn't profitable to operate any more. At that point, congratulations -- you've shut down a business and forced dozens of people out of work.

You act without understanding the self-destructive nature of your behavior.

That's why we think you're deserving of analysis.


So essentially, if people throw their toys out of the pram and leave because they don't get their own way in space.

It's our fault.

Cool.

Got it.

TMC Senior Developer http://themittani.com - Because EvE has needed a proper news site for ages

Emily Earnest
State War Academy
Caldari State
#113 - 2013-06-01 05:06:11 UTC
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
In essence: while the vast majority of EvE's player population wants to help grow the game and attract subscribers, you appear to desire the exact opposite.


Tell me I'm cherry picking if you want, but please tell me more about how goons don't bring in new players pretty much every day.

Might also be Xinivrae

People are still weird...

E-2C Hawkeye
State War Academy
Caldari State
#114 - 2013-06-01 06:12:39 UTC
Bob Blunts wrote:
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Daedlus Caine wrote:
First of all, I'm not sure if this belongs in the general or the alliance/corp dicussions. vov I'll risk it anyway

As I have been playing actively for about a year or two now, I've been trying to figure out why I have this mental alignment to hate the Goons. Maybe it's their popularity, maybe the fact fedoras died in the 70's, or if Mister Shadoo of PL's face makes me laugh more. So I ask of any member of the Goonswarm that passes by, what's your game? I have a difficult time thinking you're pirates. It's not the usual MO of the sociopaths of low-sec. I want to hear a Goon's thought of what they are and their alignments to the EVE universe are. Let's face it though, I'll probably only get a snark comment.

Thanks for reading!


The reason for the goon hate is because they don’t respect the game or the gaming community. They exploit every aspect of the game and try to manipulate every exploitable situation to suite them regardless of how it effects the game or the people in it.

With that said In any organization both good and bad people can be found, but in bad organizations you seldom see the good people in charge. The few control the many.



Which part demonstrates their lack of respect for the game?

Their tireless efforts to provide content? (Burn Jita 1 and 2, Hulkageddon, the ice interdictions, probably more null stuff of which im unaware)

The thousands of hours their members have spent providing Eve with it's only *real* news site? (If you say EN24, then we have nothing further to discuss)

The untold man hours spent maintaining and growing their space empire to provide a home for their vast membership?

Maybe it is the development of Evemon that demonstrates this lack of respect? Or the former goons who moved on to help develop the game?

Wait! Let me guess! You must be a high sec whine...err... miner? Thats the only conclusion I can draw from your ignorant ill informed ranting.

People like you need to seriously get over yourselves. Goons ganking your freighter =/= Goons not respecting the game or community.



That’s part of the problem with you goons. You think bad content is ok as long as it benefits you.

They do provide a service, just as Heaven needs Hell and Darth needed Luke, Eve also needs it demons.

They can provide content but its their blatant lack of respect for the game and its community that earns them the hate. The non stop exploitation of every single thing that can be exploited. Just because something can be done doesn’t mean it always should be done.

No matter how many bridges a good man builds, if he builds those bridges while working for a sheet company his work will still be sheet.
Malak Dawnfire
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#115 - 2013-06-01 06:16:05 UTC
Not an important guy, just feel like I haven't experienced EVE yet without getting scammed or blown up by Goonswarm as I still have respect for these guys.

Send a few after me in higfh-sec?
E-2C Hawkeye
State War Academy
Caldari State
#116 - 2013-06-01 06:20:05 UTC
One of the so called content from the goons that made me laugh was the proposed war games. So they don’t want to fight in null and have a war but have organized fights(duels) because they feel war is to stressful and costly? Any thing to keep the sea of blue calm I guess.

Keep that content coming just don’t let the cat sheet in the sand box.
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#117 - 2013-06-01 06:32:47 UTC
i'm sorry that we can't live the thrill a minute life of the highsec "please make it unprofitable to flog me mercilessly" miner

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Astrid Stjerna
Sebiestor Tribe
#118 - 2013-06-01 06:39:53 UTC
Emily Earnest wrote:
Astrid Stjerna wrote:
In essence: while the vast majority of EvE's player population wants to help grow the game and attract subscribers, you appear to desire the exact opposite.


Tell me I'm cherry picking if you want, but please tell me more about how goons don't bring in new players pretty much every day.


You are cherry picking, but I won't hold it against you. Blink

It's important to remember that income is not always greater than outflow. The Canadian one-cent coin, by way of example, cost 1.6 cents per unit to mint. The Canadian mint was actually losing money on every penny they made.

I fully admit further along in my post that it's unlikely to ever reach that point; there are other sources that CCP can draw from to build a subscriber base. My point, however, was to show that the Goons' behavior is confusing to the point of irrationality.

I can't get rid of my darn signature!  Oh, wait....

E-2C Hawkeye
State War Academy
Caldari State
#119 - 2013-06-01 06:50:06 UTC
Andski wrote:
i'm sorry that we can't live the thrill a minute life of the highsec "please make it unprofitable to flog me mercilessly" miner


Right, goons don’t want to fight other trained and skilled or fitted pvp pilots from other null sec corps for control of sov because that would be to stressful and costly.... so lets go gank some players in hi-sec that aren’t trained skilled or fitted for pvp.

Now that’s content. Roll
Andski
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#120 - 2013-06-01 06:54:41 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
E-2C Hawkeye wrote:
Right, goons don’t want to fight other trained and skilled or fitted pvp pilots from other null sec corps for control of sov because that would be to stressful and costly.... so lets go gank some players in hi-sec that aren’t trained skilled or fitted for pvp.

Now that’s content. Roll


after having conquered every region in 0.0 at some point in time the only thing left to do is flog some hiseccers

not our problem if they don't know anything about this game *Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar