These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

An honest question about PVP Situation

Author
Lithic Auduin
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2013-03-13 23:07:12 UTC
Hi guys, i am sort of new to eve and have been trying to study, learn and try everything to learn the right way, and the forums have been a big help, I am going to ask the dreaded question that I am sure you guys hate hearing because the answer is not really straight forward and I understand that ahead of time I just need a direction to pursue.

First : MY goal in the game

- I wish to be active in PVP / FleetWars / Small and Large scale
- I do not so much like EWAR and cloaky etc, i like being a damage dealer
- I enjoy the idea of pirating, taking out ships for loot and ransom
- I do want to PVE as well and run missions but not my primary focus

MY issue:

I started out as minmatar after some research and found out the info I was going on was outdated, and that the MINMATAR race is actually in a weird place and alot of previous MIN Flyers gave up. I guess now minmatar are spread out to equally a jack of all master of none situation. I guess alot of the Minmatar ships now work better as missle boats and the cross-training is silly as I am told.

I than recieved advice to go Caldari, so I spent 3-4 days leveling up to caldari cruisers and missles only to find out / be told that Caldari are at the bottom of the PVP? I am told that missles are horrible in solo and small scale pvp and even worse in large scale and that caldari are a joke.

So, I did the one thing I knew would work, come to the forums and ask you guys to please help me, I only have very limited playing time and I want to spend my training on something that will be useful and applied to my situation.

So what is the current situation as far as PVP And some pve go ?

Are Gallente ships at the top atm for PVP ? And capable of doing sec pve combat missions as well?
Did people lie to me about caldari in pvp and missles in pvp ?
Are AMARR the better choice for PVP and some PVE missions ?

I need to know what weapons platform is the ideal for my situation so i can train without wasting any more time, I really appreciate ANY and ALL knowledge and tips, you guys are the best c ommunity I have found for help so I am putting my eve life in your hands, please guys help me out !
Roime
Shiva Furnace
#2 - 2013-03-13 23:22:36 UTC
Ok, let's do it like this- I'll say that Gallente is the best and others are lol.

Then you go off and train some Gal blaster stuff half-assedly, come back in a month and read the post below that says Lollente is fail, train Amarr ships of win.

Then we can all laugh at you for being so gullible and not making up your own mind.

Nivo Green
Imperial Dreams
Curatores Veritatis Alliance
#3 - 2013-03-13 23:28:24 UTC
If you listen to other people about what ships are good/bad for pvp, your end conclusion will be that every ship is terrible.
Namdor
#4 - 2013-03-13 23:31:03 UTC
Lithic Auduin wrote:

I started out as minmatar after some research and found out the info I was going on was outdated, and that the MINMATAR race is actually in a weird place and alot of previous MIN Flyers gave up. I guess now minmatar are spread out to equally a jack of all master of none situation. I guess alot of the Minmatar ships now work better as missle boats and the cross-training is silly as I am told.

!

Oh FFS...

It's fine. Minmatar are fine. Every race has split weapon platforms to some degree. Minmatar have projectile ships and missile ships. Caldari have missile ships and hybrid ships. Gallente have hybrid ships and drone ships. Amarr have laser ships, drone ships, and missile ships.

You're welcome to chase the flavor of the month, but there's a really good chance that by the time you've trained into it, a new flavor of the month will have appeared. Train for what you want to fly, all races have perfectly capable ships.
Halcyon Ingenium
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2013-03-13 23:32:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Halcyon Ingenium
Hi.

My advice is:

1. Choose one boat you want to fly.
2. Research what is required skill wise to fly that ship well.
3. Train said skills.
4. ?????
5. Profit.

By the way, since we're already talking, do you want to buy a rifter? I've got the cheapest rifters in Metropolis. If you can find a cheaper rifter, buy it!

FeralShadow
Academy of the Unseen Arts
#6 - 2013-03-13 23:36:31 UTC
It's all up to your own playstyle, truthfully. I can give you pvp fits for any race you want. Certain races excel in certain places, here's the lowdown:

Minmatar - Great for smaller fleet things, these guys are typically fast and able to keep at range and usually have a couple utility slots on them (for energy neuts/nos, etc.). Minmatar are certainly not outdated, I still fly a ton of their ships.

Gallente - Hands down the best dps boats in the game are the gallente. The only problem is getting close enough to your enemy to actually apply it. They recently got a buff which makes their speed less of a problem (Armor honeycombing reduces mass, ergo increases speed) but you still need to be point blank. Like a fat kid sitting on your chest and punching you in the face, as long as you stay away from him he can't get you.

Caldari - Pretty decent all around. Ok-ish dps (missiles aren't terrific dps, but they never miss as long as they're in range), decent speed (Shield tank means you can put speed mods in the low slots) and Ok tank as well (See: shield tanking mids). I dont personlly fly caldari very much because I'm just too used to turrets, but I know a lot of people who do. Nano caracals can be beastly.

Amarr - My personal favorite. Big armor tank, but less dps than most others. Lasers are the "missile launchers" of the turret world. Why I like them? Lasers have better tracking than most turrets, coupled with the fact you can INSTANTLY switch out crystals to instantly increase/reduce the range you can shoot at. Have killed many people that thought they were out of my range this way.

So, Just pick a playstyle you like. If you think you'd like missiles, you can make it work just fine. Don't listen to the people who go "This whole race sucks" because they're just being idiots. Any race is viable with thinking, proper tactics, and a bit of ingenuity.

Since you said you dont like EWAR/cloaking, it probably won't matter but the ECM on blackbirds/falcons are awesome. They're a good reason to train caldari if you were interested in such a thing.

As far as PVE goes, again, all races CAN do it, but Caldari typically are the best because you can do decent damage at long ranges without having to worry about switching ammo/switching turrets/anything else. You can dictate what damage type you do against the NPC's because of different missile types, which counts for a lot. For example a mission raven can shoot anything in any missions with cruise missiles (He just switches out damage types). A turret boat, though, would either have to have close range guns for high dps, or long range guns to hit everything but do less dps.

Hope this helps.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Leetha Layne
#7 - 2013-03-13 23:41:46 UTC
In the end it's the pilot.
Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#8 - 2013-03-13 23:43:20 UTC
For lowsec piracy, there is nothing wrong with Minmatar ships. Fast, hard-hitting, who needs a tank when you rip through your opponents EHP as if it were paper? Try to think as ships as tools for a certain application. For a hit and run job, Minmatar ships are awesome. Protracted sieges? Look at the properties of Amarr ships. While I have crosstrained a great deal by now and have tried some different ships, I keep coming back to Minmatar ships as the main ship line in my arsenal.
Mark Munoz
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2013-03-13 23:49:20 UTC
As most are saying it doesn't matter. The key is to pick something and stick to it. Learn the strengths and even more learn said ships weaknesses. Half of winning a fight is knowing whether it's a smart one to start anyway. Stop following the trends that large alliances set as your measuring stick. That is of course you are in said large alliance. There will be a point in your EVE career that you can easily swap to the new trend but for now focus.
Varesk
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2013-03-13 23:49:33 UTC
dont start a new character. just cross train.
Domina Trix
McKNOBBLER DRINKING CLAN
#11 - 2013-03-14 00:03:21 UTC
OP: Do not make the mistake of thinking that your racial choice makes much of a difference, EVE isn't like other games where you get a set bunch of racial abilities specific to a particular race. All races in EVE can learn ALL ships if the player is willing to spend the ISK and time. The ONLY difference as far as ships is concerned is the frigates you will get the skill for at the start and if you do the career missions the types of frigates and eventually destroyer and industrial you get.

Two of the defining characteristics of a carebear are wanting other players to play the way the carebear wants and whining on the forums for the game to change when they don't. Yet I see more threads on these forums from gankers than I do miners whining about wanting the game changed to suit them.

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#12 - 2013-03-14 00:04:56 UTC
Just do what I did and train it all. I can fly anything up to BS size, my gunnery is almost maxed out pre-cap, shield, armor, speed, ewar, drones, and missiles. Fly a different ship every day.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Karl Hobb
Imperial Margarine
#13 - 2013-03-14 00:12:47 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
Just do what I did and train it all. I can fly anything up to BS size, my gunnery is almost maxed out pre-cap, shield, armor, speed, ewar, drones, and missiles. Fly a different ship every day.

This.

A professional astro-bastard was not available so they sent me.

Warpshade
Warped Industries
#14 - 2013-03-14 00:32:56 UTC
Kestrel, Hawk, Merlin, Blarpy, Hookbill, Corax, Caracal(RLML/HAM), Blackbird(ECM), Drake, Naga (Sniper), Scorpion (Fleet ECM), Rokh (Fleet Sniper), Rook/Falcon ECM, Basilisk(Logi), Tengu.

Yup confirming Caldari are indeed terrible and not viable in PvP in any form what so ever.
Nexus Day
Lustrevik Trade and Travel Bureau
#15 - 2013-03-14 00:38:42 UTC
Train full up to five in one race and you will dominate most of the people in FW who are getting their feet wet in PvP. In this game skillz (over time) equates to gear which equates to PvP win for solo. Or just become part of a blob.

Given this formula pick the race/alliance you like the most, dedicate yourself to it, and don't worry about the rest.
Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#16 - 2013-03-14 01:08:13 UTC
Lithic Auduin wrote:
Are Gallente ships at the top atm for PVP ? And capable of doing sec pve combat missions as well?
Did people lie to me about caldari in pvp and missles in pvp ?
Are AMARR the better choice for PVP and some PVE missions ?

The question is not so much, which ship or weapon type is "top".

You have to find out, which ship fits your playstyle and become competent in flying that ship / weapon.

Remove standings and insurance.

Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#17 - 2013-03-14 01:24:58 UTC
Step One: Spend RL money on premade PvP toon with a hoard of T2 ships and tons of golden bullets so that you can compete with everyone else who has already done the exact same thing.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Lithic Auduin
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#18 - 2013-03-14 02:02:10 UTC
Thanks for the info guys, I really apprecaite all the help. I have a question, what is a good cruiser for solo/small pvp for minmatar? I hear stabber is bad but as you guys said people say whatever.
Macks Artilius
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#19 - 2013-03-14 02:26:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Macks Artilius
Lithic Auduin wrote:
Thanks for the info guys, I really apprecaite all the help. I have a question, what is a good cruiser for solo/small pvp for minmatar? I hear stabber is bad but as you guys said people say whatever.

The Rupture is pretty good, it had a mid-slot added recently so its a lot more versatile than before. It can now pack a pretty good shield tank for a cruiser (I recommend a large shield extender + invul field), but you can still armor-tank it equally well if you don't mind losing a bit of speed. It can also bring a full flight of drones to the party, and I strongly recommend they be ECM flavored.

Of course it does look like someone designed it while drunk, so there's that.

*edit* Stabber is OK if you care about speed more than anything else; you won't kill a lot but you should have the speed to GTFO when the poop hits the fan. Its a good frig-killer but will die to most other cruisers. I consider it to be a big Rifter. Good for killing the other side's fast tackle in a small gang situation.
terzho
Zebra Corp
Goonswarm Federation
#20 - 2013-03-14 05:12:39 UTC
just pick a race you like the theme of best and stick to it. They all have ships that are viable for pvp.............except those stupid gallente.
123Next page