These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

An honest question about PVP Situation

Author
Arronicus
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#21 - 2013-03-14 09:35:05 UTC
terzho wrote:
just pick a race you like the theme of best and stick to it. They all have ships that are viable for pvp.............except those stupid gallente.

Talos is an absolute monster. New brutix is nice. Vexor is a monster. Megathrons and dominixs really arent that bad. Vindicator is a wrecking train. thanatos and nyx are most popular pvp carriers, Moros is hands down, no holds barred, best pvp/pve dread and blapper (pve wormhole space). Myrm isn't terrible. Gallente assault frigs also rip **** up. Then there's the arazu, which is very nice, and the proteus is mean as F.

So yea, gallente have a hell of a lot of nice ships for pvp.
March rabbit
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2013-03-14 10:36:14 UTC
Lithic Auduin wrote:

I started out as minmatar after some research and found out the info I was going on was outdated, and that the MINMATAR race is actually in a weird place and alot of previous MIN Flyers gave up
as I am told.
I than recieved advice to go Caldari, so I spent 3-4 days leveling up to caldari cruisers and missles only to find out / be told that Caldari are at the bottom of the PVP? I am told
So, I did the one thing I knew would work, come to the forums and ask you guys to please help me

so at the end you were told many times. And you still go to forums and ask again? Now you will be told again. What is next?

On a more serious note: why don't you just try it by yourself? Skill up for something cheap (you did it already for minmatar) and go fight. Then you will find if it works or not. After last rebalance almost each T1 frigate became the more the less good for pvp. Just find your style and go for it. Trying to follow FOTM will make you give up and leave.

The Mittani: "the inappropriate drunked joke"

Buhhdust Princess
Mind Games.
Suddenly Spaceships.
#23 - 2013-03-14 10:44:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Buhhdust Princess
Easy answer to this. you've trained missiles, great, minmatar are dual weapon platforms a lot of the time.

Now focus your minmatar skills:
Battlecrusier 5
Minnie Cruiser / Frig 5
t2 Autocannons (Small/Medium)
Advanced weapon upgrades and all turret skills to 5
All Cap/Fitting skills to 5.
Biology skill (yes, DRUGS HELP)

Also, I would reccomend IF you are going to be a pirate. Make yourself an alt that can fly the ships u need to lowsec from Jita. Otherwise you will find yourself rolling round eve for hours on end just picking up 1 mod here and there for ur ship.

Freighter alts, best alts.

Ninjaedit: Good solo ships for Minmatar:
Cyclone
Hurricane
Rupture
Rifter
Breacher
Vagabond
Sleipnir
Bellicose
Stabber Fleet Issue
Maelstrom
Tempest
Tempest Fleet Issue
Loki
Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#24 - 2013-03-14 10:59:23 UTC
March rabbit wrote:
Trying to follow FOTM will make you give up and leave.

That's why I chose to just train it all. I don't know why , but it feels like the fotm complaints were worse 4 years ago when they did the nano nerf, drones, and lasers. Players were coming to the forums in scores whining about wasted points and whatnot so I figure I would make a goal to cover each spectrum so that I would always be able to fly what was great and what wasn't at any given time.

It's had some advantages with that as well. For years I went with the standard Raven for L4's but after doing the same missions in the same boat 15 million times I decided to get creative with other ships. At first I stayed with Caldari and went with Rokh, then tried scorpion (which had great resist but **** all for dps), then Hyperion with rails, then Armageddon. Now when I help a corp mate I either stick with the hyperion or if we get a close range mission I use my Rokh which has been refitted for pvp. It can clear a damsel in under 5 minutes.

I agree with many of the other players with focusing on one brand at first. For Min however I can't comment on the cruisers, Gallante was always my favorite there with the Thorax. I mean I've got 5 Ruptures sitting around in a station, I've just have never gotten the chance to use them. But if the OP goes to BC then we're talking about having some fun with the cyclone and cane. Both of those can hit fast and hit hard with the right skill set and modules that take every last bit of cpu and power to use. The cane has become one of my daily flyers right alongside with my beloved blaster Ferox that nobody seems to like for some reason.

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Grimtel
Grimtel Corporation1
#25 - 2013-03-14 11:02:19 UTC
If you want solo pvp, you will not find success in asking for a ship type on the forum.

Pick a ship, any ship really. Go out shoot someone. You will most likely loose your ship.

Consider what went wrong and what worked out.

With that in mind, Do it again, and again, and again.

At some point your losses turn into wins.

If you want quick pvp without alot of losses, join a gang that preys on smaller groups.

All that is needed are decent scouts and some logi. You will get the illution of being immortal soon enougth.
Velicitia
XS Tech
#26 - 2013-03-14 11:06:10 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
...alongside with my beloved blaster Ferox that nobody seems to like for some reason.

because ~hybrids~ (which aren't that bad, tbh)

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Jensaro Koraka
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#27 - 2013-03-14 11:21:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Jensaro Koraka
Lithic Auduin wrote:
Hi guys, i am sort of new to eve and have been trying to study, learn and try everything to learn the right way, and the forums have been a big help, I am going to ask the dreaded question that I am sure you guys hate hearing because the answer is not really straight forward and I understand that ahead of time I just need a direction to pursue.

First : MY goal in the game

- I wish to be active in PVP / FleetWars / Small and Large scale
- I do not so much like EWAR and cloaky etc, i like being a damage dealer
- I enjoy the idea of pirating, taking out ships for loot and ransom
- I do want to PVE as well and run missions but not my primary focus

MY issue:

I started out as minmatar after some research and found out the info I was going on was outdated, and that the MINMATAR race is actually in a weird place and alot of previous MIN Flyers gave up. I guess now minmatar are spread out to equally a jack of all master of none situation. I guess alot of the Minmatar ships now work better as missle boats and the cross-training is silly as I am told.

I than recieved advice to go Caldari, so I spent 3-4 days leveling up to caldari cruisers and missles only to find out / be told that Caldari are at the bottom of the PVP? I am told that missles are horrible in solo and small scale pvp and even worse in large scale and that caldari are a joke.

So, I did the one thing I knew would work, come to the forums and ask you guys to please help me, I only have very limited playing time and I want to spend my training on something that will be useful and applied to my situation.

So what is the current situation as far as PVP And some pve go ?

Are Gallente ships at the top atm for PVP ? And capable of doing sec pve combat missions as well?
Did people lie to me about caldari in pvp and missles in pvp ?
Are AMARR the better choice for PVP and some PVE missions ?

I need to know what weapons platform is the ideal for my situation so i can train without wasting any more time, I really appreciate ANY and ALL knowledge and tips, you guys are the best c ommunity I have found for help so I am putting my eve life in your hands, please guys help me out !

My advice is to either stop worrying about the FOTM or train everything. It's an MMO. Stuff gets buffed and nerfed. If I was you i'd pick one race to focus on in the beginning. If you're trying to train more than one it'll take you a lot longer to get your skills up to par. It doesn't matter what you pick. If it's overpowered now it'll be underpowered at some point in the future. What matters is getting your skills up to a good level quickly. That makes a lot more difference a than whether you're flying a rupture or a vexor.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -H.L. Mencken

Laris Orwan
Chest Bumpers
The Tribesmen
#28 - 2013-03-14 11:50:07 UTC
Well i'm doing OK (isn) with caldari / minmitar and I'm very new to PVP (bout 3 months) and after reviewing most losses it was my crappy flying and not the ship that lost me the fight. In most cases anyway sometimes you just should just run lol.

But hey dont listen to me listen to the Kil2 who I think is the best solo and small gang PVPer you can watch on youtube.

Unfortunately not anymore though as CCP hired him. Yeah he's that good.

Watch the video from 3mins - Caracal's are DOMINATING lol - after that watch all of his videos and learn learn learn..

Good luck man!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsbhQ1OD3BM
Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#29 - 2013-03-14 12:10:56 UTC
Lithic Auduin wrote:
the cross-training is silly as I am told.

Whoever told you that is an idiot.

I don't say you should train all races since day one up to level V but cross training broadens your toolkit. Being able to fly different hulls and use different weapon systems gives you flexibility to be ready for specific fleet or just to be able to grab whatever is on you local market without a need to travel to better seeded station. Or to refit into something better if you get exploded and you have more concrete idea how your opponent is fitted and what could be a good counter fit.

I was an exclusive minnie pilot for a year but recently I decided to bite a bullet and cross trained to Caldari for tengu and now I am going Gallente for proteus. I even went into basic Amarr and t1 lazors which is against my deep rooted Minmatar hatred for those frakkers.

And I don't do it because tengu is ultimate answer to any question or because Fozzie nerfed my cane or whatever. I do it to have more options available to me and also to rediscover hull classes progression I already know pretty well from Minmatar experience.

And suddenly I have 3 times more ships to try and fall in love with (or to hate) instead of just trusty rusty rifter -> thrasher -> ruppie -> cane chain. And I can be of better use for my corp because I can hop into basically any kind of fleet which means more fun and more interactions with people.

Invalid signature format

Wodensun
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#30 - 2013-03-14 15:58:51 UTC
Arronicus wrote:
thanatos and nyx are most popular pvp carriers

Dont you mean Archon and Nyx? Roll

Do not give me likes them 101 likes arent a accident...

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2013-03-14 16:25:16 UTC
Rock, Paper, Scissors... which is best?

Micheal Dietrich
Kings Gambit Black
#32 - 2013-03-14 16:28:14 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:

Dear CCP,

Rock is fine, nerf Scissors

Signed,
Paper

Out of Pod is getting In the Pod - Join in game channel **IG OOPE **

Diesel47
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#33 - 2013-03-14 16:54:36 UTC
Don't listen to any random person because 95% of everybody in this game is bad at pvp.

Minmatar and caldari are both fine. Pick whichever you like better.
LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2013-03-14 17:01:30 UTC
Micheal Dietrich wrote:
LHA Tarawa wrote:

Dear CCP,

Rock is fine, nerf Scissors

Signed,
Paper

I think LOL is used too often on the internat, but in this case, accurate.

SOOOO true of EVE Forums.
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#35 - 2013-03-14 17:14:31 UTC
Halcyon Ingenium wrote:
Hi.

My advice is:

1. Choose one boat you want to fly.
2. Research what is required skill wise to fly that ship well.
3. Train said skills.
4. ?????
5. Profit.

^this^

Pick a direction, and go that direction. Right now, you're kinda wandering in circles. - Not too surprising; you're new. Not all who wander are lost, but if you don't pick some goal and go for it, you soon will be.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

FeralShadow
Academy of the Unseen Arts
#36 - 2013-03-14 19:15:53 UTC
I like rupture. For small/solo roams speed is your greatest ally. The ability to GTFO and dictate range will save you many times, but having a "speed tank" is far less forgiving if you make a mistake. One oopsie and you're dead quick.

For the rupture, I used one to great effect that had tracking disruptor, ecm drones, some other stuff I don't remember. I don't have the client here to look up the fit unfortunately, but the EWAR helped even the odds a lot.

One of the bitter points of a good bittervet is the realisation that all those SP don't really do much, and that the newbie is having much more fun with what little he has. - Tippia

Mag's
Azn Empire
#37 - 2013-03-14 19:34:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
When I started I went for Gallente, simply because I loved the Mega and the in-your-face blasters. Train whatever you want and try it out. If it's not to your liking, try something else.
Cross training is fine and if you stay long enough, you'll more than likely end up flying all races anyway.

As for learning the game and PvP, there are some really nice corps out there. Eve Uni and Red vs Blue, come to mind.

Best of luck.

P.S. Pirating is fun.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Corey Fumimasa
Perkone
Caldari State
#38 - 2013-03-14 20:31:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Corey Fumimasa
To me it has always seemed that victory via SP domination was only half a challenge. There are many real skills to learn along with in game skills; understanding your overview is one that I have been getting into recently, not just the settings and options but how the 5 tabs interact and how to use them together to get a more clear picture of the grid.

Also understanding grid-foo and how different sizes and shapes of grid can affect combat or be used to your advantage. Same with D-scan and combat probes, you need to know where your target is in order to engage. And it helps to know who else is around if you want to win.

Develop contacts; your not going to win a 1v1 vs someone who always has logi or EW or link support, the way to ID these players is by talking to and working with others, even if you want to focus on 1v1. Also work in dangerous places, get ganked in ships that you can afford to loose and start learning the tricks used to trap people. Before you know it they will no longer be able to catch you, and at that point you can start to dictate terms of any engagement, and confidently fly expensive/truly dangerous ships into harms way.

Train a bit of everything to get an understanding of all the strengths and weaknesses. Get your core skills done! learn a new gadget or ship whenever you get bored of core drudgery. Rat in lowsec or null with PvP minded ships, don't worry about winning fights so much as being able to control the engagement.

In order to outsmart other players in Eve you have to kinda know what they are thinking, and be prepared to take advantage of human weakness, curiosity, indecision, fear, and greed; these frailties along with a solid understanding of the game world are far more important than a specific weapon or a few skill points here and there.
The VC's
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#39 - 2013-03-15 13:17:29 UTC  |  Edited by: The VC's
'Picking a race' is a bit of a red herring. Pick a weapon system, pick a shipclass (cruiser, frig, BC etc) and skill for it. In terms of developing player skill (as opposed to sp) it's better to get an understanding of a particular fighting style and engagement profile. Get good core skills for a weapon system. If you are going by race you'll end up spreading your skillpoints about and will just be ok at everything, not great at one thing. It'll be harder to get any clear advantage over an opponent.

I've spent the last year getting a good solid gunboat spec up to cruiser lever. Only now am I thinking about training another system.

Cant decide between missiles or drones Roll
Arduemont
The State of War.
#40 - 2013-03-15 13:38:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Arduemont
No one race is really that much better than any of the others (at least not since the balancing changes). The person who told you missiles were crap in PvP is an idiot whoever that was.

The biggest tip I can give you really is to not worry too much about the bigger ship types when starting out in PvP. You can kill almost anything in frigates and cruisers. Battlecruisers are very versatile, and a powerful tool in PvP, but frankly they are too big of a loss for new players. And you will loose stuff, trust me.Take it from someone with a 90% efficiency, you will still loose stuff.

Minmatar and Caldari is a great way to cross train. If you've been training those two then stick to it. Cross training to other races ships and weapon systems isn't going to help you much. As for weapons, I would concentrate on whichever skills are better for you at the moment, ie autocannons/artillery or missiles. PvPing with missiles is a little different than using the other weapons systems but I prefer it personally. If you can get yourself in a Caracal and get your HAM skills up you'll be laughing, because the Caracal is fantastic. It takes some practice because it relies quite heavily on it's speed and knowing which targets you can engage etc, but once you've got the hang of it you can kill anything short of a carrier with it.

Hope that helps.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." www.stateofwar.co.nf

Previous page123Next page