These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Unified Inventory Changes

First post First post First post
Author
Ad'Hakim Tahous
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#21 - 2012-05-23 15:56:05 UTC
+1 for quick response

+8 for ability to rename POS structures. For heaven's sake please make sure that this ability is tied to the level of access a given pilot has to POS facilities!!!

-3 no mention at all of an opt out.
Di Mulle
#22 - 2012-05-23 15:56:40 UTC
Not sure if a need for a persistent multi-window setups in a certain cases is properly understood and addressed. Need to read once more.

But, renaming all POS structures ? Wow. Impressed.

(Not impressed in any way by the fact why this wasn't done years ago, structures even had an editable name field all the time... but, maybe CCP simply can't work in other way. Needs to screw-up and then produce an unexpected bonus...)
<<Insert some waste of screen space here>>
Zora stein
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-05-23 15:56:48 UTC
Give us the option to opt out of this awful new UI and let us have the old UI back.At least give us the option this is terrible and you managed to **** off all of eve.
Skelf Scunner
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#24 - 2012-05-23 15:59:09 UTC

How about taking this broken system back off of tranquility until it works?

Test this stuff on the test server.

This dev blog is the usual bollocks: 'we're going to do what we want so fu'

ROLL BACK UNTIL IT WORKS

Gun Kata
tech-legion
#25 - 2012-05-23 15:59:14 UTC
think i sussed it

ccp announces update...........

i cancel all my accounts for 3 months and wait for the eve community to beta test the game and get all the 'so obvious if you played eve' total failiures sorted, then ill re sub the game.

i just feel you seem to be missing the point to improvements.

the inventory system just doesnt work over complicated to say the least, anyone carry a bag in a bag in a bag or 3 bags?
May O'Neez
Flying Blacksmiths
#26 - 2012-05-23 16:00:10 UTC
Quote:
I will however go fairly far in implementing feedback that improves this piece of UI though.

Good luck reading the Niagara waterfall of posts from player fueled (fuel ... hehe) with passion for their tender UI :D

Do you have any clues if the POS changes will improve the loading performances ?
Uther Aharalel
Doomheim
#27 - 2012-05-23 16:01:48 UTC
Cyriacus Antonius wrote:
Will there ever be a way to revert to the old inventory system? I'm not sold on the new one at all, regardless of changes.

Ditto. The inventory could be nice on the assets, but not in my hangar and cargoholds...

Nobody cares about what Goon's care about, they are the cheapest possible cask whine.

stoxxine
OLVI industries
#28 - 2012-05-23 16:02:03 UTC
thanks in advance!

now if you could just make any and all separated windows auto-reopen *always* and an option to make corp division primary tree branch (instead of leaf) and we're good to go :)

Disclaimer: The above was probably written drunk or by a friend on my pc or a hacker. No warranty for any misinformation provided.

CCP Soundwave
C C P
C C P Alliance
#29 - 2012-05-23 16:02:14 UTC
May O'Neez wrote:
Quote:
I will however go fairly far in implementing feedback that improves this piece of UI though.

Good luck reading the Niagara waterfall of posts from player fueled (fuel ... hehe) with passion for their tender UI :D

Do you have any clues if the POS changes will improve the loading performances ?

No, let me look into that though. Might take a little to find out what the status is of this.
Blue Harrier
#30 - 2012-05-23 16:03:16 UTC
Just like to say a quick thank you for the coming updates, the POS people will be so pleased.

Dragging out a separate window instead of the shift click will please me as I’m not a great lover of using the keyboard when I’m using my laptop and watching TV while playing Eve.

A question, will the ‘merged’ ships and items remain in the station services window for those that have them merged?

I have seen the ‘Separated’ compact mode windows already don’t know if this was by design or just me being lucky but if I held down shift and right clicked a cargo container it would open in a single window with the tree closed., if this is like it, very nice.

"You wait - time passes, Thorin sits down and starts singing about gold." from The Hobbit on ZX Spectrum 1982.

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#31 - 2012-05-23 16:03:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tippia
Sounds vaguely promising… persistence of settings alone will, if not solve, then at least cut down on a whole lot of grief, as will the solution to POS management. On a similar note as the POS problem, you should probably bump the “corp member hangar” issue up a bit — it's another case of simply having too many items when all you want is one or two of them.

Aside from that, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that isn't touched upon (I won't say “addressed” or “solved” — that will depend on the final implementation) is the issue of deciding what opens where. You still have a lot of “legacy” open-this-thing buttons that need something added to them to make those inventories pop up in the right place (and no, removing them is not the right way to go).

I know it would be a mess and/or a nightmare, but maybe if there was a way to have something like the overview filters for each inventory window, where you set what can and cannot open in that window (and, consequently, what will and will not appear in the tree view). That way, I could make it so that the only thing to ever open in my preferred cargo hold window is ship cargo holds (and then I could set it so that they will never appear anywhere else), and if no currently open window allows for the inventory I try to open, a new window pops up.
Disdaine
#32 - 2012-05-23 16:05:00 UTC
When are you going to make looting as easy as the old method.
Kaphrah
Thats my BOI
#33 - 2012-05-23 16:05:22 UTC
Hm, I really don't like the new UI, is it really too much work to make it optional?

my biggest problem is looting containers after salvaging wrecks.
If there are 50 containers around my noctis, I'll open them and click on "Loot all". Sounds easy, but the UI window always jumps back to my cargo, and I have to click on another container again, this takes ages if you have a lot of containers around your ship.

Before this ......... Patch, I opened all containers and just hit the "Loot All" Button in every window, please bring this back
Steijn
Quay Industries
#34 - 2012-05-23 16:06:26 UTC
Karl Hobb wrote:
Loot containers? Otherwise, great job!

this^^

get rid of the lagfest caused by currently trying to loot wrecks and you are definitely heading in the right direction.
CCP Soundwave
C C P
C C P Alliance
#35 - 2012-05-23 16:07:28 UTC
Tippia wrote:

I know it would be a mess and/or a nightmare, but maybe if there was a way to have something like the overview filters for each inventory window, where you set what can and cannot open in that window (and, consequently, what will and will not appear in the tree view). That way, I could make it so that the only thing to ever open in my preferred cargo hold window is ship cargo holds (and then I could set it so that they will never appear anywhere else), and if no currently open window allows for the inventory I try to open, a new window pops up.

Regarding this. We're talking about everything from having a favorites column for stuff, specific settings and even a search function there. Most of it is just in a stage where we're looking at it, but we're definitely looking into options like you're describing and other improvements.
Skelf Scunner
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2012-05-23 16:07:31 UTC
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Cyriacus Antonius wrote:
Will there ever be a way to revert to the old inventory system? I'm not sold on the new one at all, regardless of changes.

No, probably not. I will however go fairly far in implementing feedback that improves this piece of UI though. Feedback continues to be welcome.

Why not?

Really, why not?

Is it written in stone on a mountaintop somewhere 'thou shalt never listen to thy customers' ?

Get it fixed, THEN put it on tranq. You had all the feed back you needed on sisi

May O'Neez
Flying Blacksmiths
#37 - 2012-05-23 16:09:29 UTC
Kaphrah wrote:
Hm, I really don't like the new UI, is it really too much work to make it optional?

my biggest problem is looting containers after salvaging wrecks.
If there are 50 containers around my noctis, I'll open them and click on "Loot all". Sounds easy, but the UI window always jumps back to my cargo, and I have to click on another container again, this takes ages if you have a lot of containers around your ship.

Before this ......... Patch, I opened all containers and just hit the "Loot All" Button in every window, please bring this back

I tested salvage also yesterday: actual issue is that the current container switches from the destroyed one to the cargohold. A convenient change would be to go to the next in the list (instead of the first). Not sure I'm clear though. This way the looting would be as fast as previously.
Sturmwolke
#38 - 2012-05-23 16:09:30 UTC
You may want to re-allow moving items between tabs again (especially when manipulating the Corp hangar).
The functionality of separate windows is nerfed without that ability as you have to _still_ use the tree to move/transfer items.

I don't see the above explicitly stated in the blog.

And another thing, consider making an independent "mother" UI window for the Unified Inventory.
That will eliminate positioning issues when you separate out the child windows.

Case example:
I always have an active ship cargo window, resized to to absolute minimum possible, tucked next to the main capacitor display.
This serves as both reminder and a quick cargo list/drop/loot in space.

Post patch, with the Unified Inventory, it treats this cargo window as the MAIN UI window - which inevitably leads to a lot of grief.
Please also thin those thick bars and un-needed isk est. so I can get more lines out of the cargo window.
Dinta Zembo
Tea. Earl Grey. Cold.
#39 - 2012-05-23 16:09:53 UTC
CCP Soundwave wrote:
Cyriacus Antonius wrote:

No, probably not.

Why? No offense but is it that hard? Just a little checkbox.. Straight
Mr Bigwinky
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2012-05-23 16:09:57 UTC
Any idea when the design fixes (at least the POS ones) are going to go live?
Welcome to EVE online, here's your rubix cube, go F*** yourself ♥