These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EXEFILE Login To Be Discontinued On September 20th

First post First post
Author
Tappits
Sniggerdly
Pandemic Legion
#61 - 2016-09-05 23:32:12 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
streamline the login process

There is nothing more streamline than using the .exe
And there is no security you can add that stops dumb people using password1 or using crap isk buying websites and getting hacked.
Jynx Archipedigo
Tripoint Mercetile Rimrunners
#62 - 2016-09-06 00:44:58 UTC
Just because the Launcher (ie game updater/patcher in other products) is working now does not mean it will continue to do so, and requiring it just adds aggravation.

Many people have stated thus far that this is a stealth nerf to using multi-boxing software, I would agree. Even if that wasn't the original intent, from a reason person's view it is more nerf than security. I would venture to say a naive and lazy attempt at that.

It is understandable to ensure a client logged in is up to date so data disparity bugs and exploits are reduced to negligible, However the overhead, no matter how much you tweak or refactor the code in the launcher is gonna give even single client players a hit on the lower end machines.

And to be perfectly candid, if any entertainment option Eve Online or otherwise take security (or mandates in the premise of security) to the extent it is more annoying to login into the game than logging into financial, government, or medical infrastructure. a game becomes unplayable for average people. I already refuse to play games using Glyph's system.

I don't care how great a game is, if it is too annoying to access, I won't even play it for free let alone pay $$$ for multiple accounts.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#63 - 2016-09-06 01:11:04 UTC
CCP has no obligation to develop their game to somehow fit the needs of some third party software that they have no influence on.

Personally I've never had any issue with the new launcher, it's worked perfectly for me for almost 6 months. I mean those of you who have had issues with it, have you ever even thought it might be a problem on your end?

Within IT support (my profession) 9 times out of 10 when an issue a customer arises it's going to be a local issue as we have safeguards and monitoring tools to tell us when it's affecting a large percentage of our users.

Now I'm not saying CCP shouldn't help you with your individual issues and their customer service of late has been under fire (though I'm not sure, last ticket I submitted was answered and resolved within 24 hours) but you should try and exhaust all possibilities instead of just doing some real simple **** like reinstall Windows and then point the finger when that magically doesn't fix the problem.
Ria Nieyli
Nieyli Enterprises
SL33PERS
#64 - 2016-09-06 01:58:50 UTC
Does the new launcher have a 'shut down after login' option yet?
Nakaara Adahsa
Deep Void Enterprises
#65 - 2016-09-06 02:13:50 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

Personally I've never had any issue with the new launcher, it's worked perfectly for me for almost 6 months. I mean those of you who have had issues with it, have you ever even thought it might be a problem on your end?

Within IT support (my profession) 9 times out of 10 when an issue a customer arises it's going to be a local issue as we have safeguards and monitoring tools to tell us when it's affecting a large percentage of our users.

Client authorization issues across a network are much more likely to be a problem in either the client or server software specific to the application unless other unrelated programs are affected as well. CCP controls most of the software involved at both ends. That the problems may be intermittent or perhaps only affecting a small number of users doesn't mean CCP isn't at fault. Software errors can manifest in many ways.

Unfortunately, CCP has a long history of ignoring customer complaints. This looks like it will be another case of it. However, most players won't pay for a game they repeatedly can't access. CCP may finally screw a lot of folks over in a way that can't be ignored.
Delt0r Garsk
Shits N Giggles
#66 - 2016-09-06 02:28:06 UTC
The new launcher works fine on linux. In fact it works better than .exe. Keeping many ways to launch the game is *harder* on the devs not easier.

AKA the scientist.

Death and Glory!

Well fun is also good.

Tiberizzle
Your Mom Heavy Industries
#67 - 2016-09-06 03:36:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Tiberizzle
Why can't we just implement 2FA in the game client?

I don't use ISBoxer but I do use Linux, and having spoken to multiple other Linux users, Window placement and input focus are very broken for many people without the wine virtual desktop wrapper. As in, literally unplayable.

I am trying right now to discover the path forward for Linux users with these issues.

That path would likely be starting the launcher itself in a wine virtual desktop -- except you can't start multiple launchers, so you have to tediously serialize logons.

Then, the option to automatically close the launcher after starting a client seems to have been removed or may never have existed, and honestly I'm not even sure how to "Alt-Tab" within the wine virtual desktop (as opposed to the native desktop) to close the background launcher after the game starts, but even if you could this would be so incredibly tedious that I find it hard to imagine that this circus act being required to log on every time wouldn't affect frequency of play.

This is very poorly conceived and the feedback at every step from the exefile crowd has been "No don't" but here we are rushing headlong into it. Why am I not surprised?
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#68 - 2016-09-06 03:53:51 UTC
Nakaara Adahsa wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:

Client authorization issues across a network are much more likely to be a problem in either the client or server software specific to the application unless other unrelated programs are affected as well. CCP controls most of the software involved at both ends. That the problems may be intermittent or perhaps only affecting a small number of users doesn't mean CCP isn't at fault. Software errors can manifest in many ways.

Unfortunately, CCP has a long history of ignoring customer complaints. This looks like it will be another case of it. However, most players won't pay for a game they repeatedly can't access. CCP may finally screw a lot of folks over in a way that can't be ignored.

Unlikely, client authorisation can be logged so CCP either don't care (unlikely as that's counter-intuitive to making money) or it's not an issue.

As all of the complaints in this thread have been about opening the launcher or losing profiles I'm going to go with the latter.

Also your comment about them controlling software in both ends: utter bollocks.

CCP only control one thing and that's the launcher, the client machine can literally be anything. You can't expect everything to be supported, that's just not economically viable.
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#69 - 2016-09-06 04:13:04 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Cerian Alderoth wrote:
Daneel Trevize wrote:
CCP, can we first please get a resolution to the security issues of non-expiring login/refresh tokens?

TY YMMD! ShockedWhat?StraightSmileBig smileLolRoll

P.S.: Will the login to the test server (Singularity) continue to work?
There is no TFA for Sisi, so I am assuming that your launcher is starting the EXEFILE ?!

If you log into account management, there's now a button to expire all your log in tokens.

Was recently added, we just haven't messaged it yet Smile

Login tokens should be invalidated whenever the account password is changed or 2FA is added.
Primary This Rifter
Mutual Fund of the Something
#70 - 2016-09-06 04:16:56 UTC
Also god damn there's a ton of PEBKAC in this thread.
Oxigun
Halliburton Heavy Industries
#71 - 2016-09-06 05:25:41 UTC
I have been using the new launcher for a while now and I have to say it is (mostly) functional. It has forgotten my accounts a couple of times but overall it has been very stable. The use of the various profiles makes it very usable and I am happy with it.

Before the .exe option is removed however, I would like to suggest that either CCP or some of our enterprising third party developers can help develop an isboxer type window management system. The benefit that ISBoxer offers for multiboxers is:

1) Launch several clients at once (Launcher can do this)
2) Enter login information (Launcher can do this)
3) Resize and reposition windows (Launcher can only set resolution, not remember window placement)
4) Remove borders and lock window position (Launcher cannot do this)

I have yet to find a third party application that can do 3 & 4 other than Isboxer. I'm happy to try alternatives and I hope CCP will reconsider the Sept. 20th patch date since the reasoning provided appears arbitrary.

Oxi
Geronimo McVain
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#72 - 2016-09-06 05:45:37 UTC
Oxigun wrote:

I have yet to find a third party application that can do 3 & 4 other than Isboxer. I'm happy to try alternatives and I hope CCP will reconsider the Sept. 20th patch date since the reasoning provided appears arbitrary.

Oxi

Can't be that hard to make a ISBoxer clone which sticks to the rules of CCP. Multi boxing is more the rule then the exception in Eve so why not go with it? IMHO CCP should lift the ban on just displaying some UI elements. To be true the grafic has no influence on the gameplay, Eve is Exel in space so why not admit it? And without multiplexing someone using multiple accounts will always be slower then 2 real players.
Craven More
State War Academy
Caldari State
#73 - 2016-09-06 05:46:00 UTC
As already stated by multiple people,
It has happened on at least 3 or more occassions in the last 6 months alone, where the only way to login to the game was to use the exe file, whilst repairs to the launcher took place & took hours to complete.
So, Can CCP please advise what the intended work around will be for when the launcher fails.
If there will be no alternate way to log in, as a paying customer, I would demand a refund or compensation of some kind, just as I would when buying other RL goods or services.
If CCP was happy to do that when those circumstances arise, then I would not have any objection, but I would like to see CCP stating that they would do so in writing, before these changes take effect.
MDK-1
Okomon Heavy Industries
#74 - 2016-09-06 06:04:43 UTC
ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT

• Allow Exefile Launch (x)
  • Disallow Exefile Launch ( )

• Disclaimer: Even though you have been playing this game for years without being injected or hacked we wish to dumb down your experience even more than usual, please tick the next box to show you are a grumpy old fart and don't want to change what works (x)

Slight sarcasm but you get the picture....
    Davina Sienar
    The Misinterpretation of Silence
    #75 - 2016-09-06 06:34:18 UTC
    MDK-1 wrote:
    ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT

• Allow Exefile Launch (x)
  • Disallow Exefile Launch ( )

• Disclaimer: Even though you have been playing this game for years without being injected or hacked we wish to dumb down your experience even more than usual, please tick the next box to show you are a grumpy old fart and don't want to change what works (x)

Slight sarcasm but you get the picture....

100% THIS
    Davina Sienar
    The Misinterpretation of Silence
    #76 - 2016-09-06 06:36:40 UTC
    "use the launcher to log in at all times in order to improve account security and streamline the login process.22

Aka forced to watch Adds and Facebook Icons

putting a googlescript thingy and security in 1 sentence is a joke too
    HonkiPonki
    Smokeherbs
    #77 - 2016-09-06 08:20:22 UTC  |  Edited by: HonkiPonki
    Davina Sienar wrote:
    "use the launcher to log in at all times in order to improve account security and streamline the login process.22

Aka forced to watch Adds and Facebook Icons

putting a googlescript thingy and security in 1 sentence is a joke too

Pretty much agree there,
    CCPLZ explain how adding a shittn of scrips and Http connections
    *which btw don work on my win7 cause Certificate issues*
    Ads, Facebookbullshit and so on BEVORE playing the game ,
    How in the living hell does that increase MY SECURITY ?

tldr: new launcher just throws up anormous ammounts of certificate issues and doesnt work,
    if exe login wont run, no way to play the game, sad day .) gg ccp
    Tanalasin Saraki
    Perkone
    Caldari State
    #78 - 2016-09-06 08:39:25 UTC
    I can't honestly see why people are still having issues with the launcher, I have it installed on both my main PC and my partners laptop, both of which are Win10, and it works fine. There was a couple of issues just after CCP launched it that it would occasionally forget login details, but how difficult is it honestly to re-enter your username and password???

All I can say is thank god we might get rid of the multiboxers, nothings worse than running into a fleet of 20 characters being run by 4 or 5 players. Yes, by all means have 3 accounts running at a time, on three separate screens via one PC, but give the rest of us players a chance. Some of us play this game for the enjoyment and social interaction between players, not all of us are greifers, that just Wardec for fun because we can and have the money to play like that.

People have known about this change for a year or more, so get a grip people and stop whining just because you cant run through third-party or via the original log-in screen anymore.

Cambridge Mountain Rescue - Fitting, Recruitment Officer and Auditor.

Keeping our pilots in game.

Lando Tarsadan
    Doomheim
    #79 - 2016-09-06 08:52:37 UTC
    IMHO the Launcher is working fine. I have yet to have a problem with it. both logging in multible accounts and logging into test servers works like a charm. The profile thing is a pretty good feature to make changes to only one account or to several or getting some settings to the test server and back. all in all id say it does it job really well. I have yet to have a problem with it since my return 4 month ago or there about.
    Tenko Sanka
    Startruck 247
    M6 Truckstop
    #80 - 2016-09-06 09:37:34 UTC
    I use XP and have five accounts all subbed! I still use the old login method via Exe.exe and cannot download or use the new login method. How will I be able to login or do I just give up and not play until I buy a new PC? A bit stupid to have to pay £750 to play a £5 game imho. UghCry