These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EXEFILE Login To Be Discontinued On September 20th

First post First post
Author
Cerian Alderoth
Cult of the Black Monolith
#21 - 2016-09-05 18:04:49 UTC
Steve Ronuken wrote:
Jackie Fisher wrote:

[quote]The EVE Launcher is now available for Linux. Note that this does in no way suggest that CCP is officially supporting Linux - this is just something I've been working on as a side project, and basically comes out of the work I've done for adding Wine support to the launcher for Mac.
I would use my subsciption money to make this happen.
Koenig Yazria
Adversity.
Psychotic Tendencies.
#22 - 2016-09-05 18:05:08 UTC
Hulk Miner wrote:
Having only switched over to the new launcher the past 6 months from using Exefile for many years I find its really streamlined my login, who can moan over clicking 1 button to login all your characters?

Maybe i have just been lucky.

As for forgetting all your login details make sure you create another profile then switch your login to this and pin, hey presto.

You have been lucky.

It forgets my logins pretty much every day (and not just that but "hey, we don't know you, please enter a character name").
It gets really annoying reaaaallly fast.
Cerian Alderoth
Cult of the Black Monolith
#23 - 2016-09-05 18:07:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Cerian Alderoth
Daneel Trevize wrote:
CCP, can we first please get a resolution to the security issues of non-expiring login/refresh tokens?

TY YMMD! ShockedWhat?StraightSmileBig smileLolRoll

P.S.: Will the login to the test server (Singularity) continue to work?
There is no TFA for Sisi, so I am assuming that your launcher is starting the EXEFILE ?!
Langbaobao
Tr0pa de elite.
#24 - 2016-09-05 18:12:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Langbaobao
TBH, I've always preferred to use the exefile to launch the game since It's much less trouble and it's faster, especially for people that have multiple accounts. If you're so dead set on removing the exefile way of login, you should at least fix the launcher first so it doesn't forget logins all the time like a senile senior citizen or fix the issue with the never-expiring login tokens which is a huge security risk and which people have been pointing at for months now. Really, you guys should fix the launcher first before disabling the exefile login method. I secretly hope that you guys will lazy it up and leave the method in, just more hidden. But yeah, I guess we will see what we see...
TigerXtrm
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#25 - 2016-09-05 18:12:17 UTC
Is this part of a larger rework of session ID's and such? In other words... is a proper button that takes you to the character selection screen finally coming thanks to this?

My YouTube Channel - EVE Tutorials & other game related things!

My Website - Blogs, Livestreams & Forums

uninstall this game1
The Conference Elite
Safety.
#26 - 2016-09-05 18:12:22 UTC  |  Edited by: uninstall this game1
I'm pretty sure this is because they want to disallow alpha account abuse in the future, so they're removing functionality and ease of play in order to fix a broken system that they want to implement.

But hey, if:

ArrowThe launcher actually worked
ArrowThe launcher doesn't go down like it often does
ArrowThere is still a way to run isboxer in this new system
ArrowAnd no other functionality is lost, then yeah sure go for it

but this just seems like a stealth multiboxing nerf.

I mean, if security was an issue why didn't CCP do it like 3 years ago?
Astrid Farnsworth
Broke and Famous
#27 - 2016-09-05 18:19:45 UTC
Hinata' Hyuga wrote:
As someone who uses ISBoxer for screen management and doesn't abuse any of the features that have been banned, I do not support this change. Managing 5 accounts is a hassle without third party software and no other third-party software come close to screen management like ISBoxer can.

I manage 5 - 15 accounts with another app and this luncher make things easier when loading all the accounts. CCP dont need to make things easy for us, runing the game with several accounts. Is here where the Third-party apps have to adapt to the new things CCP do.

I know it sound mean and rude but its the true.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics." - Gen. Robert H. Barrow, USMC (Commandant of the Marine Corps) noted in 1980**strong text**

Hulk Miner
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#28 - 2016-09-05 18:21:51 UTC
uninstall this game1 wrote:

I mean, if security was an issue why didn't CCP do it like 3 years ago?

I'm pretty sure this is because they want to disallow alpha account abuse in the future.
Winter Archipelago
Autumn Industrial Enterprises
#29 - 2016-09-05 18:24:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Winter Archipelago
People are complaining about this breaking ISBoxer as if CCP were the ones who developed and maintained ISBoxer. If people who use ISBoxer want ISBoxer to continue working, they really need to bring it up with the developers of ISBoxer, not with CCP.

Edit ::

Well, now. Would you look at that: the workaround has already existed for some time: http://isboxer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8094

lax wrote:
ISBoxer does not currently support the new EVE Launcher's multi-login feature, but there should be no problem otherwise using the launcher.

You just need to use the EVE Launcher with ISBoxer the same way you must use the launcher for other games with ISBoxer. Point Inner Space at the EVE Launcher, and here's how you launch your team....

1. Make sure the EVE Launcher is not running
2. Launch your Character Set -- the first EVE Launcher instance comes up
3. Log into your first account
4. Click Play -- the first EVE game instance comes up
5. The launcher must now CLOSE.
5a. There should still be a setting in the launcher to close after launching the game (?); if the launcher automatically closes, then ISBoxer can usually automatically launch the next launcher for you, repeat from step #3
5b. If the launcher does not automatically close, check for the launcher setting to auto-exit. To continue the launching process at this point, repeat from step #1 with the game window(s) still open.
Aky Ambraelle
The Mythically Intoxicated
#30 - 2016-09-05 18:49:31 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
As part of the preparations for the launch of Clone States in November, and as part of our continuous efforts to improve account security for EVE Online, we are currently in the process of working on changes to the EVE Online client that will result in the removal of the ability to log into EVE via launching exefile.exe from the EVE\sharedcache\%servername%\bin\ folder.

This change is currently planned to be implemented on September 20th.

After this date, players will no longer be able to log in directly through the front end of the EVE Online client and will instead be required to use the launcher to log in at all times in order to improve account security and streamline the login process.

If you would like to discuss this change, you can do so in this thread.

SO, What happens when the launcher DOES'NT WORK???
HOW I can log in EVE if I cannot use the LAUNCHER??? Is there any way to fix it? OR is'nt? I do'nt have N accounts (to use with Isboxer or other third app) I am using the "normal" (aka the new) launcher to play the game.
IF the launcher is bugged, HOW i can play this game?
I understand that the Launcher connects to a server wich is connected to another server that manages the accounts, but the launcher is not dirrectly connected to the EVE server (THE GAME SERVER).
The exefile.exe is a dirrect link to the game server... SO.... (After this date, players will no longer be able to log in directly through the front end of the EVE Online client and will instead be required to use the launcher to log in at all times)
WHY I (WE players) CANNOT LOGIN DIRECTLY?????

AND another question, ARE YOU GOING TO KILL THIS AWESOME GAME???
1. FREE TO PLAY will be a "success" = STAR WARS- THE OLD REPUBLIC is one, BUT YOU CANNOT USE the "STORY ITEMS" (you will need to pay for them..) - well..... NO EVE ONLINE story....

2. WHO IS BEHIND THOSE STUPID CHANGES????

And the most important question:

3. WHO CARES????
Kate Onzo
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#31 - 2016-09-05 18:50:14 UTC  |  Edited by: Kate Onzo
Launcher (even in second incarnation, Qt-based) have some flaws:

- it starts some different https connections, and on loading generates much traffic. On cellular line near to impossible login using it

-if some of connections fail - example - no connection with update server (even if no updates), laucher fails

- it have no functionality, needed to really start client, even password saving not work
Fossor Wintersky
Ordinus Ursorum Cautorum
#32 - 2016-09-05 18:53:24 UTC
it's a BAD gamedesign.
Henry Plantgenet
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#33 - 2016-09-05 19:10:03 UTC
I'm just wondering how to circumvent the launcher when the launcher's ****** now Ugh
Iv d'Este
Private Security Squad
#34 - 2016-09-05 19:13:19 UTC
The launcher can be baпged at any time, that often happened. While it will be repaired can take hours, days. This is a very very disturbing change.
Emiko P'eng
#35 - 2016-09-05 19:14:21 UTC
As long as the 'OLD' Launcher still works I don't mind.

But if the update breaks the 'OLD' Launcher then you better finally have a 'NEW' Launcher that actually WORKS!!!!

You know like actually finds my profiles and then offers them to me so I can copy them over to my accounts.

CCP are on Launcher version 1069348.1031 and it still only offers me a default profile to copy over.

I have tried all the fixes and work-rounds and even manual searched for the weird profile file names and all I have to show in the 'NEW' Launcher is a whole pile of profiles called Default, Default_1, etc....

Currently the 'OLD' Launcher logs me in and gives me ALL of my settings for my accounts Smile

The 'NEW' Launcher is currently an illiterate moron on profile finding Roll

brinelan
#36 - 2016-09-05 19:15:01 UTC
Fossor Wintersky wrote:
it's a BAD gamedesign.

You should tell every other game dev since just about every mmo uses some kind of launcher.
Zappity
New Eden Tank Testing Services
#37 - 2016-09-05 19:20:08 UTC
I'm pretty relaxed about this. The new launcher is pretty good (although I'm only running three accounts) and it will be good to close off that 2FA loophole.

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Richard Wick
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#38 - 2016-09-05 19:27:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Richard Wick
Well, this sucks.

I have 2 network interfaces on my computer.
- 1st is wired lan for my local network (without internet)
- 2nd is wireless connection with internet access.

- because of this and probably how Windows works, all wired connections are routed through wired interface primarly.

I'm using tool called ForceBindIP that binds executable process to specific network interface. I use it to launching launcher and let the game update itself and then using it to launch exefile.exe directly through the wireless network with internet access.

Since logging in through exefile wouldn't be possible anymore, does someone have any suggestions? I would like to see option to select which network interface should be used, but that is probably too much to ask.

Any future suggestions?
Daneel Trevize
Give my 11percent back
#39 - 2016-09-05 19:44:17 UTC
Richard Wick wrote:
Well, this sucks.

I have 2 network interfaces on my computer.
- 1st is wired lan for my local network (without internet)
- 2nd is wireless connection with internet access.

- because of this and probably how Windows works, all wired connections are routed through wired interface primarly.

I'm using tool called ForceBindIP that binds executable process to specific network interface. I use it to launching launcher and let the game update itself and then using it to launch exefile.exe directly through the wireless network with internet access.

Since logging in through exefile wouldn't be possible anymore, does someone have any suggestions? I would like to see option to select which network interface should be used, but that is probably too much to ask.

Any future suggestions?

Why would anything on your LAN be advertising a (fake) route to the net? Why wouldn't simple standard internet routing ensure traffic for external IPs goes out your net connection? Something sounds set up wrong at your end.
Elenahina
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2016-09-05 19:46:41 UTC
Koenig Yazria wrote:
FearlessLittleToaster wrote:
Since the launcher is functional now I can't object to this. Please though, for future reference, keep in mind that if you are looking at making major changes to how the launcher works you need to keep it at it's current level of functionality.

Logging in to Eve using the old method, configuring multiple accounts to get set up, etc. etc. was just enough of a chore to stop me playing sometimes if the kid had really run me ragged. Yes, really. The current launcher makes it very easy, and I like that, so don't break it. Big smile

No it is not functional. It always forgets logins. Half of the time it is not possible to login through the launcher.

Edit: Personal attack removed, CCP Phantom

FWIW, mine has never forgotten my logins.

Eve is like an addiction; you can't quit it until it quits you. Also, iderno