These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

EXEFILE Login To Be Discontinued On September 20th

First post First post
Author
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#241 - 2016-09-11 17:49:52 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsukino Stareine
enotsmirb wrote:


LOL You wouldn't even know how to log in to a cisco router back pedler.

"Mr CCNA stepped up to the plate". It was my plate (post) that you stepped up to if I remember right? I'm not a CCNA.

"Keeping your equipment functioning and up to date is your OWN responsibility." Except the issue is the software launcher not the equipment until you decided it was."

"Standardising platforms allows huge cost savings which can be then diverted into other MUCH more important areas blah blah blah." you sure like the tell everyone how important stuffs works.

"All in all I think people having problems with their launcher, most of it is PEBKAC with a few genuine instances where something may be up." oh so just a few instances are genuine... glad you could take the time to diagnose them.


Somebody take my keyboard from me....




I don't need to log into my routers at work, that's what the network guys are for. Does it mean I don't know how they work?

You implied it since you mentioned both qualifications while boasting about your router Roll

Your issue could well be a software one, that comment wasn't directed at you. But I gave you a solution and you just started going on a rant about how much you love your router. You don't in fact need to do any kind of QoS per se. Just apply a bandwidth cap to limit no single application to use more than your maximum.

I work in the industry so yeah I do know how tech support works. It's based on time efficiency. You can't be efficient if you're trying to figure what a system is before you even attempt to fix the problem.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#242 - 2016-09-11 17:52:29 UTC
Sabai Sukarala wrote:
Cool this means its time to quit to eve once and for all. Bye 13 accounts and I dont even have to wait for the next ****** up game breaking patch in November.

On to the next game.


The weight of these words of an alt solely created for this post is astonishing.
Runiba Toll
Alfred E. Neuman Fan Club
#243 - 2016-09-11 23:42:37 UTC
I am pretty sure we are all out to lunch on this. We are assuming that CCP is a normal company trying to provide a desired service to its customers. This depends upon their being in communication with their customer base instead of only themselves and the small ideas in their own heads only.

Instead, CCP provides solely their own bright ideas to us and force them down our throats, similar to a political system. Solving non-existent problems and totally destroying the game play for the current customer base, whether by game changes, system requirement changes, or just plain NO SUPPORT to the customer base. CCP is ALWAYS RIGHT, no matter what reality states.

My internet is continually saturated with the file checks each time I log in. My game is very unreliable due to their internet implementation. They are demanding monthly payments and then an excessive "upgrade your computer" tax on top to continue being able to pay and play. Again, a political system and not a real company with economic concerns.

If I am driven out of the game, I can live with that. The friends I have here will still be accessible via teamspeak. The ONLY thing CCP has IS its player base. The game itself will never be a modern type game, it is a social interaction environment that we currently find interesting and fun, but when we can't log in, we'll be forced to find something else to do.

If someone is demanding to die (or a company) it is unsafe to get in their way, step aside and let it evaporate on their own efforts or you may get stuck in their activities yourself. Now is the time to get an alternate method to contact your friends and aquaintances


OR.... just be lemmings and follow them over the cliff.

I've enjoyed the people in eve online, the game itself (continuous moving target) very much less so.
Absolute Intoleranto
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#244 - 2016-09-12 00:13:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Absolute Intoleranto
Runiba Toll wrote:
They are demanding monthly payments and then an excessive "upgrade your computer" tax on top to continue being able to pay and play.


This is your own fault. You cant expect to play EVE on the same hardware like in 2003...
When was DX11 launched? 2009? 2010?

There are lots of cheap cards and even PCs out there. The wording "excessive" in this case is truly excessive.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#245 - 2016-09-12 01:14:57 UTC
Runiba Toll wrote:
I am pretty sure we are all out to lunch on this. We are assuming that CCP is a normal company trying to provide a desired service to its customers. This depends upon their being in communication with their customer base instead of only themselves and the small ideas in their own heads only.

Instead, CCP provides solely their own bright ideas to us and force them down our throats, similar to a political system. Solving non-existent problems and totally destroying the game play for the current customer base, whether by game changes, system requirement changes, or just plain NO SUPPORT to the customer base. CCP is ALWAYS RIGHT, no matter what reality states.

My internet is continually saturated with the file checks each time I log in. My game is very unreliable due to their internet implementation. They are demanding monthly payments and then an excessive "upgrade your computer" tax on top to continue being able to pay and play. Again, a political system and not a real company with economic concerns.

If I am driven out of the game, I can live with that. The friends I have here will still be accessible via teamspeak. The ONLY thing CCP has IS its player base. The game itself will never be a modern type game, it is a social interaction environment that we currently find interesting and fun, but when we can't log in, we'll be forced to find something else to do.

If someone is demanding to die (or a company) it is unsafe to get in their way, step aside and let it evaporate on their own efforts or you may get stuck in their activities yourself. Now is the time to get an alternate method to contact your friends and aquaintances


OR.... just be lemmings and follow them over the cliff.

I've enjoyed the people in eve online, the game itself (continuous moving target) very much less so.


I sorry that change is so hard to adapt to for you.

Be very aware you are the minority here though, if a game is not constantly evolving it will just stagnate and eventually die. I run a laptop that's 4 years old and it runs eve with low settings and 2 clients. It's by no means a monster gaming laptop either only running a low end 635m discrete graphics card.

If you're somehow unable to meet such meager requirements, I'm afraid to say that you might have to look at yourself and see if there's a problem there.

Runiba Toll
Alfred E. Neuman Fan Club
#246 - 2016-09-12 03:37:25 UTC
Along with my previous comments, I do want to add how much I appreciate the personal attacks many of you in the forum post. I am truly impressed at how expert so many of you are at being the worst of humanity. I am posting about an action that CCP is taking and fault is found at my lack of financial acumen to be able to afford brand new computers so that wasteful programmers can burn computer cycles with wild abandon. Or I am at fault for not wanting to have the game changing three times as fast as I can possibly learn how to play it.

Truly you (the aforementioned posters) are the most intolerant bunch of fools that I have dealt with for many years. In my mind you deserve eve as it is operating now and I wash my hands of everything here. When I can not log in, I can no longer pay. CCP loses out and the critics that like to attack people here can suck eggs. As far as my being a minority, that remains to be seen. Since most here seem to know only themselves I can see how they outnumber the people they are unaware of. For the rest of us, being ignored or trashed is also a reason to find a more reasonable environment where we are appreciated.

Celly S
Neutin Local LLC
#247 - 2016-09-12 04:26:47 UTC
honestly, I wish they wouldn't remove that, it has gotten me into the game on many occasions when the launcher did not work.

Just saying
o/
Celly

Don't mistake fact for arrogance, supposition for fact, or disagreement for dismissal. Perception is unique in that it can be shared or singular. Run with the pack if you wish, but think for yourself. A sandwich can be a great motivator.

Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#248 - 2016-09-12 05:19:53 UTC
Runiba Toll wrote:
Along with my previous comments, I do want to add how much I appreciate the personal attacks many of you in the forum post. I am truly impressed at how expert so many of you are at being the worst of humanity. I am posting about an action that CCP is taking and fault is found at my lack of financial acumen to be able to afford brand new computers so that wasteful programmers can burn computer cycles with wild abandon. Or I am at fault for not wanting to have the game changing three times as fast as I can possibly learn how to play it.

Truly you (the aforementioned posters) are the most intolerant bunch of fools that I have dealt with for many years. In my mind you deserve eve as it is operating now and I wash my hands of everything here. When I can not log in, I can no longer pay. CCP loses out and the critics that like to attack people here can suck eggs. As far as my being a minority, that remains to be seen. Since most here seem to know only themselves I can see how they outnumber the people they are unaware of. For the rest of us, being ignored or trashed is also a reason to find a more reasonable environment where we are appreciated.



If you're unable to keep your system up to the very modest requirements of this game, it might be that you should be prioritising something other than eve.

CCP Is not scheming in their boardroom about how to screw the financially challenged, they are a business. If it makes sense financially to move on with technology and subsequently make some people unable to play but open up the game to more and improve it for those it's called progress.

They cannot make everyone happy (I can't believe I even need to say this) so they do their best to make the majority happy while sticking to a business model that they can actually profit off.

I'm sorry that you feel you're being personally attacked, please know that this is not the case. However the way you came across in your post made it sound like everyone was out to get you
Nakaara Adahsa
Deep Void Enterprises
#249 - 2016-09-12 09:50:47 UTC
Runiba Toll wrote:
Along with my previous comments, I do want to add how much I appreciate the personal attacks many of you in the forum post. I am truly impressed at how expert so many of you are at being the worst of humanity. I am posting about an action that CCP is taking and fault is found at my lack of financial acumen to be able to afford brand new computers so that wasteful programmers can burn computer cycles with wild abandon. Or I am at fault for not wanting to have the game changing three times as fast as I can possibly learn how to play it.

Truly you (the aforementioned posters) are the most intolerant bunch of fools that I have dealt with for many years. In my mind you deserve eve as it is operating now and I wash my hands of everything here. When I can not log in, I can no longer pay. CCP loses out and the critics that like to attack people here can suck eggs. As far as my being a minority, that remains to be seen. Since most here seem to know only themselves I can see how they outnumber the people they are unaware of. For the rest of us, being ignored or trashed is also a reason to find a more reasonable environment where we are appreciated.



EVE has tended to appeal to a portion of the gaming community with sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies. My guess is that most of this subset of players aren't suffering from actual mental illness but rather are underdeveloped emotionally and this is reflected in their approach to the game and other players.

I don't think these represent the majority but they are a notable minority. Many others I think just like the lack of restriction on gameplay between players, and the attitudes this fosters bleed into the forums often.

There are also plenty of us around that believe you can enjoy playing EVE and still be civil. Just because the game mechanics allow or perhaps encourage you to be a complete ass doesn't mean you have to be.

However we choose to play the game, I agree with you that forums related to technical, customer, and game development matters should have a more civil tone as much as feasible.

If CCP truly wants to broaden the player base, then they also need to factor in the financial considerations that you mention. It's not reasonable to expect most players to upgrade their computers every year, so some balance needs to be found between allowing players to enjoy some of the benefits of the latest hardware while still facilitating gameplay on older, less capable machines. I don't know where that line lies, but it's clear from the graphics option settings for the game that CCP has some understanding of these issues and is at least partially committed to enabling play on older machines.

I hope that CCP continues to enable you to play the game with your current hardware. None of the proposed game development I've heard of so far would appear to require raising the machine requirements though I'm not certain of this. If this were changed right now, I think it would be at odds with CCP's business goal of increasing the player base.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#250 - 2016-09-12 10:09:03 UTC
First part of your post: utter lol

Attempting to psycho analyse people from behaviour shown in a game. But I guess this viewpoint is subjective. What counts as bad behaviour to you might not be to someone else.

Second part was using logical reasoning and was much more digestible. I've been playing for 4 years on the same laptop without any noticeable change In performance
Nakaara Adahsa
Deep Void Enterprises
#251 - 2016-09-12 11:13:59 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
First part of your post: utter lol

Attempting to psycho analyse people from behaviour shown in a game. But I guess this viewpoint is subjective. What counts as bad behaviour to you might not be to someone else.

Second part was using logical reasoning and was much more digestible. I've been playing for 4 years on the same laptop without any noticeable change In performance


My experience over many years has been that how people play a game usually reflects who they are. Some people come across in games exactly like they are in person. Others may appear civil in daily interactions, but you see a different side in games. I believe the latter is closer to who they really are when freed of the constraints of the norms and laws of human society.

There is a reason why our societies have criminal and civil laws and why some violate those laws despite the risks and penalties for this. Within the constraints of our laws, there are many who engage in unethical or otherwise reprehensible behavior. Is it really that surprising that this behaviorial range should both manifest and shift its mean in a game? I don't think so.

Yes, my post addressed both player behavior and technical / business issues since both were in the original post to which I was responding. I have no qualms with this nor with sharing my views on either.
Warlord Balrog
303rd X-SOLDIER
#252 - 2016-09-12 12:21:24 UTC
warbds wrote:
I hope you make it possible to run 2 launchers otherwise I will get the downloads of 10Gb each time one of my nephews plays on my pc.

That works as follows each of them has an account.

They can't do anything on my disks (just enough rights to be able to log in)
The each have a disk with an installation of EVE on it full rights there. This disk they can snd wilol take them with them when they go home and they do.
On one of my disks I have a double installation of EVE works better as a single instalation still does!!
When I log into Eve and a disk is or was inserted in my pc, I will get a 10 Gb or more download.

Why well simple the launcher thinks it needs to reconfigure after they logged in because of the shared ******* cache . No they will not get more rights!

I even play Eve or any other game with limited rights. I can only see that game dir and a few other folders.

If not well I will end my subsription. No none will get my stuff


Two ways you can overcome this problem. The first I am not entirely sure if/how well the outcome will be because I never experimented with EVE's file-locking routines myself. However, I have done this with other programs and games with reliable success.

1) Create a network storage solution. Common examples of this would be a NAS (Network-Attached Storage) or Cloud-based system. Mount the shared volume and assign a letter on both PCs. Install the launcher and point to the shared drive's letter. Be sure you do not start the other computer's launcher until the patch is complete.
* This would be equivalent to using a Blizzard game using the "Search for games in ..." option, where it searches the drive for files it recognizes and skips the installation -- but verifies it's integrity. Worst case scenario, you'll just have to click verify under the shared cache option before running the game on patch days.

2) Designate one PC as master and the other as slave. Use the master PC for patches, verification, etc. The master will share the folder over the network to the slave. The slave will have the drive mapped from \\master\eve for example to E: and the shortcut will read E:\launcher.exe on the slave PC.
* The only problem I forsee with this option is approach is permissions, which in most recent Windows OS platforms will retain both permissions and settings. So all you would have to do is click "Continue" when the 'You do not have permissions to this folder, click continue to override this behavior.' prompt comes up. This SHOULD allow both PCs to have access to the files, if someone can confirm this works in Windows 10 please do so.

I, personally, haven't done too much research or experimentation with this since Windows XP was still brand-spankin new, but from what little I understand Windows 7 and 10 has improved it's integration system for file sharing services (Such as SAMBA, NFS, SAN, NAS, etc).

I would suggest googling it personally to see if someone else wrote a detailed white paper about sharing games over LANs. If no better solution becomes available before you decide to unsub, I would suggest trying #1 at least before you ubsub, at worse case scenario it won't work as intended and you can just uninstall the game on the master system after unsubbing. Best case I have just helped a few people work some problems out. :)
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#253 - 2016-09-12 17:50:10 UTC
Nakaara Adahsa wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
First part of your post: utter lol

Attempting to psycho analyse people from behaviour shown in a game. But I guess this viewpoint is subjective. What counts as bad behaviour to you might not be to someone else.

Second part was using logical reasoning and was much more digestible. I've been playing for 4 years on the same laptop without any noticeable change In performance


My experience over many years has been that how people play a game usually reflects who they are. Some people come across in games exactly like they are in person. Others may appear civil in daily interactions, but you see a different side in games. I believe the latter is closer to who they really are when freed of the constraints of the norms and laws of human society.

There is a reason why our societies have criminal and civil laws and why some violate those laws despite the risks and penalties for this. Within the constraints of our laws, there are many who engage in unethical or otherwise reprehensible behavior. Is it really that surprising that this behaviorial range should both manifest and shift its mean in a game? I don't think so.

Yes, my post addressed both player behavior and technical / business issues since both were in the original post to which I was responding. I have no qualms with this nor with sharing my views on either.


Anecdotal evidence. Very reliable and widely regarded as accurate all the time Roll

Every post I see that supports this viewpoint has its premise firmly rooted in a flawed concept: that people somehow cannot differentiate reality and fantasy.

This may be true for the minority with mental health issues, some even may play eve.

There are many factors to how someone behaves in life, but to a normal functioning human, they can separate what's acceptable within the confines of a virtual world with constraints and also what is allowed in real life. So when given the freedom to do so, some may exhibit '*******' behaviour (which again is completely subjective) and some may not.

As with any game, 'winning' is important. What's special about eve is that you get to decide what winning constitutes. If that's to blow up someone's ship then by all means you should take joy in doing that. Trash talking afterwards is also not a barred activity and it may also fall under someone's definition of fun. Not everyone reacts badly to trash talk, especially well adjusted individuals who is aware they are playing a GAME.
NextDarkKnight
Event Horizon Expeditionaries
The Watchmen.
#254 - 2016-09-12 19:14:35 UTC  |  Edited by: NextDarkKnight
You know I am ALL for removing the launcher if and only if,

A Text only version of the launcher is deployed that doesn't use a ton of memory. Some of us don't use dedicated Eve computers and need all the resources we can get.

On my system the current launcher doesn't load graphics all the time and is really buggy.
Nakaara Adahsa
Deep Void Enterprises
#255 - 2016-09-12 19:41:48 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
Nakaara Adahsa wrote:
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
First part of your post: utter lol

Attempting to psycho analyse people from behaviour shown in a game. But I guess this viewpoint is subjective. What counts as bad behaviour to you might not be to someone else.

Second part was using logical reasoning and was much more digestible. I've been playing for 4 years on the same laptop without any noticeable change In performance


My experience over many years has been that how people play a game usually reflects who they are. Some people come across in games exactly like they are in person. Others may appear civil in daily interactions, but you see a different side in games. I believe the latter is closer to who they really are when freed of the constraints of the norms and laws of human society.

There is a reason why our societies have criminal and civil laws and why some violate those laws despite the risks and penalties for this. Within the constraints of our laws, there are many who engage in unethical or otherwise reprehensible behavior. Is it really that surprising that this behaviorial range should both manifest and shift its mean in a game? I don't think so.

Yes, my post addressed both player behavior and technical / business issues since both were in the original post to which I was responding. I have no qualms with this nor with sharing my views on either.


Anecdotal evidence. Very reliable and widely regarded as accurate all the time Roll

Yes, it is anecdotal data, but that does not necessarily mean I am wrong.

Quote:

Every post I see that supports this viewpoint has its premise firmly rooted in a flawed concept: that people somehow cannot differentiate reality and fantasy.

This may be true for the minority with mental health issues, some even may play eve.

I would be more inclined to agree with you if EVE were truly a fantasy, but it's a game between humans. The game setting is a fantasy, but the players are real humans.

One of the consequences of the game rules and economy is that most players spend much more time earning ISK to buy ships than they do using those ships to fight other players. A few may buy their ships via PLEX and out-of-game money, but that strategy only works to the extent that someone else is willing to spend the in-game time needed to create ship-related resources.

Most of the minerals and other resources needed to make ships and ship components come from asteroid and moon mining, not loot drops. Someone has to spend real-world time to create all of that, time much greater than that spent fighting in ships. A lot of players may engage in PVE to earn ISK and sell or reprocess loot, but the latter only marginally reduces the amount of mining activity required. Mining is simply much more time efficient at producing minerals.

So when someone loses a ship in-game that has a consequence to them in real-life: the loss of the value of their time. That is not a fantasy, although the price may be acceptable to them if they can exchange that time for overall enjoyment of the game.

Quote:

There are many factors to how someone behaves in life, but to a normal functioning human, they can separate what's acceptable within the confines of a virtual world with constraints and also what is allowed in real life. So when given the freedom to do so, some may exhibit '*******' behaviour (which again is completely subjective) and some may not.

As with any game, 'winning' is important. What's special about eve is that you get to decide what winning constitutes. If that's to blow up someone's ship then by all means you should take joy in doing that. Trash talking afterwards is also not a barred activity and it may also fall under someone's definition of fun. Not everyone reacts badly to trash talk, especially well adjusted individuals who is aware they are playing a GAME.


I agree that there are a lot of ways to potentially enjoy the game. Ship PVP is the area in which playing styles are most likely to clash, however, and that is another area where the "game=fantasy" argument breaks down. Losing a ship in a duel or a large fleet fight may be acceptable because both sides got to enjoy the struggle for victory. However, when a lone player gets ganked by 4-12 other players at a gate camp, I seriously doubt the ganked player enjoyed the experience. That is definitely a win-lose proposition in which one group of players derive their pleasure at the expense of another player. The ganked player may choose to regard it as an occasional evil of the game, but that only holds up if he or she generates enough other positive in-game experiences to make up for it. That's not a fantasy but rather a personal calculus of the value of the game and the type of interaction you are experiencing with other people.

The above choices of how we interact with other players reflect who we are. Our decisions and overall behavior may be shifted from the choices we make in the real-world, but they are not free of consequences for either ourselves or others.

Anyone who plays EVE for much more than a day or a week soon learns that it is a harsher environment than a lot of other games. If you stick with the game you have to accept that, but that doesn't mean it's all a fantasy. The people are real, and how you choose to interact with others in the game environment has consequences for the value of their time and their enjoyment of the game. That's why your in-game behavior says something about who you are, even or perhaps especially if that behavior deviates significantly from your actions in real life.

Muul Udonii
THORN Syndicate
Northern Coalition.
#256 - 2016-09-12 21:24:43 UTC
I'm back in the thread and a special thanks to CCP darwin who took a personal interest in my case. And a super special thanks to the mysterious 'CCP Dev' who gave the following information:

Quote:
Could you please go to Settings->Shared Cache Settings and click the 'Permissions' button.


This fixed it. Great work CCP. Shame you couldn't do it 7 months ago when I first notified you of the issue.


Celly S
Neutin Local LLC
#257 - 2016-09-12 23:12:10 UTC
Nakaara Adahsa wrote:

There are also plenty of us around that believe you can enjoy playing EVE and still be civil. Just because the game mechanics allow or perhaps encourage you to be a complete ass doesn't mean you have to be.


+1

Don't mistake fact for arrogance, supposition for fact, or disagreement for dismissal. Perception is unique in that it can be shared or singular. Run with the pack if you wish, but think for yourself. A sandwich can be a great motivator.

Absolute Intoleranto
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#258 - 2016-09-12 23:35:39 UTC
Runiba Toll wrote:
Along with my previous comments, I do want to add how much I appreciate the personal attacks many of you in the forum post. I am truly impressed at how expert so many of you are at being the worst of humanity. I am posting about an action that CCP is taking and fault is found at my lack of financial acumen to be able to afford brand new computers so that wasteful programmers can burn computer cycles with wild abandon. Or I am at fault for not wanting to have the game changing three times as fast as I can possibly learn how to play it.

Truly you (the aforementioned posters) are the most intolerant bunch of fools that I have dealt with for many years. In my mind you deserve eve as it is operating now and I wash my hands of everything here. When I can not log in, I can no longer pay. CCP loses out and the critics that like to attack people here can suck eggs. As far as my being a minority, that remains to be seen. Since most here seem to know only themselves I can see how they outnumber the people they are unaware of. For the rest of us, being ignored or trashed is also a reason to find a more reasonable environment where we are appreciated.



Nobody did attack you. It is a fact that dx11 was launched years ago and many cards or PCs may be bought for little money.
Calling this a excessive upgrade is nonsense.

You on the other hand did call other people for that reason "intolerant bunch of fools", "experts of being the worst of humanity", or telling them to "suck eggs" is actually a attack, for which a excuse would be appropriate. But I will not ask for it.

Thanks for that.
enotsmirb
Ezekiel 25 17
#259 - 2016-09-13 04:02:00 UTC  |  Edited by: enotsmirb
Could there be another reason CCP wants us to only use the new launcher? Somebody in another post suggested with the game going limited free to play there is going to be a lot of people needing to download the client. What better way for CCP to reduce or forgo additional network costs than to have player clients scale (bittorrent / P2P). Also why is there not an option to automatically close the client after the game starts... They took that out of the new launcher it was in the options menu a few (4) months ago.

Hash tag #JFK conspiracy, Hash tag# Chem trails, Hash tag # lizzard people, Hash tag# New World Order.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#260 - 2016-09-13 09:12:55 UTC
Hey I heard you can use QoS to make sure the launcher sharing files doesn't impact your gameplay (I'm going to hell for this)