These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

EXEFILE Login To Be Discontinued On September 20th

First post First post
Author
Nakaara Adahsa
Deep Void Enterprises
#221 - 2016-09-11 04:25:48 UTC
enotsmirb wrote:
Well let me tell you what happened today with your launcher!

I logged in and my resolution was completely wrong and caused me monitor to go black due to out of sync refresh. I managed to reboot and after screwing with it 3 more times I got in with no sync issues. I am in the middle of clearing out a den in my faction ship and I suddenly lose control of my ship ( launchers wouldn't launch shield boosters wouldn't boost). I lost my ship. 1 bill gone because of your launcher.

Seems your launcher decided after I was already in the game to verify all of the game files using all 12.1Mbps of my internet bandwidth... The game launcher caused it's own program to lag out for christ sake!

Re-think this Your stand alone launcher is not ready. In my case the launcher didn't even check to make sure the client was not running before verifying files. Also why would any launcher/updater not have a qos (quality of service) to ensure it does not use 100% bandwidth? All I can say is good luck because "ain't nobody got time for that"!


That is some seriously messed-up launcher behavior. Looks like CCP is shipping us barely baked alpha-level code.

To CCP devs: please man up and admit to your managers that the new launcher just isn't ready yet for something as dangerous as removing login via Exefile. They will find out the truth eventually, but if you are honest with them now you might be able to avoid losing more customers.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#222 - 2016-09-11 04:39:25 UTC
enotsmirb wrote:
Well let me tell you what happened today with your launcher!

I logged in and my resolution was completely wrong and caused me monitor to go black due to out of sync refresh. I managed to reboot and after screwing with it 3 more times I got in with no sync issues. I am in the middle of clearing out a den in my faction ship and I suddenly lose control of my ship ( launchers wouldn't launch shield boosters wouldn't boost). I lost my ship. 1 bill gone because of your launcher.

Seems your launcher decided after I was already in the game to verify all of the game files using all 12.1Mbps of my internet bandwidth... The game launcher caused it's own program to lag out for christ sake!

Re-think this Your stand alone launcher is not ready. In my case the launcher didn't even check to make sure the client was not running before verifying files. Also why would any launcher/updater not have a qos (quality of service) to ensure it does not use 100% bandwidth? All I can say is good luck because "ain't nobody got time for that"!


Because verifying files uses bandwidth......
enotsmirb
Ezekiel 25 17
#223 - 2016-09-11 04:52:26 UTC  |  Edited by: enotsmirb
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
enotsmirb wrote:
Well let me tell you what happened today with your launcher!

I logged in and my resolution was completely wrong and caused me monitor to go black due to out of sync refresh. I managed to reboot and after screwing with it 3 more times I got in with no sync issues. I am in the middle of clearing out a den in my faction ship and I suddenly lose control of my ship ( launchers wouldn't launch shield boosters wouldn't boost). I lost my ship. 1 bill gone because of your launcher.

Seems your launcher decided after I was already in the game to verify all of the game files using all 12.1Mbps of my internet bandwidth... The game launcher caused it's own program to lag out for christ sake!

Re-think this Your stand alone launcher is not ready. In my case the launcher didn't even check to make sure the client was not running before verifying files. Also why would any launcher/updater not have a qos (quality of service) to ensure it does not use 100% bandwidth? All I can say is good luck because "ain't nobody got time for that"!


Because verifying files uses bandwidth......



I know right ! I was as shocked as you but sure enough it does. 12.1 Mbps I thought it was downloading an update but it wasn't just verifying. Ps I work for Rexnord corp as a Network admin 17 years. I'm not a software guy but I do know bandwith Cool Stop shooting at me I'm on your team!!!
Nakaara Adahsa
Deep Void Enterprises
#224 - 2016-09-11 05:02:01 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
enotsmirb wrote:
Well let me tell you what happened today with your launcher!

I logged in and my resolution was completely wrong and caused me monitor to go black due to out of sync refresh. I managed to reboot and after screwing with it 3 more times I got in with no sync issues. I am in the middle of clearing out a den in my faction ship and I suddenly lose control of my ship ( launchers wouldn't launch shield boosters wouldn't boost). I lost my ship. 1 bill gone because of your launcher.

Seems your launcher decided after I was already in the game to verify all of the game files using all 12.1Mbps of my internet bandwidth... The game launcher caused it's own program to lag out for christ sake!

Re-think this Your stand alone launcher is not ready. In my case the launcher didn't even check to make sure the client was not running before verifying files. Also why would any launcher/updater not have a qos (quality of service) to ensure it does not use 100% bandwidth? All I can say is good luck because "ain't nobody got time for that"!


Because verifying files uses bandwidth......


It depends on how it's implemented, and whether or not that implementation is correct. If during verification it thought it was finding files or resources that were out-of-date or missing, it might very well be downloading them.

It's hard to tell from the outside with no access to the code, but there are a lot of ways to get functionality like this wrong.
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#225 - 2016-09-11 05:07:38 UTC
You might know bandwidth but I'm not sure your reasoning is sound.

Verifying files is a disk usage heavy process as it checks files using a scanning tool and using parity logic to determine whether or not you have 100% file integrity. The only part that would ever take any bandwidth would be the final check at the end to sync with the server and any missing files needed.

Unless this was a fresh install and you were literally forcing the game to download vital assets while you were playing.

And as a network admin, you don't set any kind of QOS or bandwidth caps to deal with such eventualities?

I know some ISPs provide what might as well be a brick in terms of a router (mine certainly does) and refuses to let you use your own so I can totally understand of those functions aren't available to you.
enotsmirb
Ezekiel 25 17
#226 - 2016-09-11 05:58:32 UTC  |  Edited by: enotsmirb
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
You might know bandwidth but I'm not sure your reasoning is sound.

Verifying files is a disk usage heavy process as it checks files using a scanning tool and using parity logic to determine whether or not you have 100% file integrity. The only part that would ever take any bandwidth would be the final check at the end to sync with the server and any missing files needed.

Unless this was a fresh install and you were literally forcing the game to download vital assets while you were playing.

And as a network admin, you don't set any kind of QOS or bandwidth caps to deal with such eventualities?

I know some ISPs provide what might as well be a brick in terms of a router (mine certainly does) and refuses to let you use your own so I can totally understand of those functions aren't available to you.




SIr or Madam, ? As far as your statement to using a scanning tool and parity logic... huh? You are over complicating it. The launcher got hung on the very first file it tried to verify ....why because it was in use by the game EXE. So it went into a loop thinking the file was bad or couldnt be deleted/replaced (my assumption) so yes it was trying to download.The launcher said it was verifying. It's real simple to check your bandwidth usage if you have a baseline it's called .... wait for it.... Windows Task manager! It's so advanced and has so, sooo much parity logic stuffs !!! In all fairness the log is huge and has 30-40k lines stating some variation of :

"C:/ProgramData/CCP/EVE/SharedCache//ResFiles/de/dec35e7da6b7aafe_2f17b3e9c4357fc4062f504bea11a017"
2016-09-10T17:27:09.295Z default debug Couldn't delete"

I think you just like to pick at the wound that was my destroyed soul, I mean FACTION FIT CRUSIER. But tanks for the debate/argument it inspired me to read a 4 megabyte txt file at 2am. sadly the software launcher is still not ready to stand on its own.

P.s I use a Cisco enterprise router 3 generations newer than any equipment comcast has. (because it was free)
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#227 - 2016-09-11 06:05:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Tsukino Stareine
I think that's more permission issues rather than what you might think it is.

I run a 8mbit down connection and leave my launcher open when playing and never experienced such a bandwidth hog like that.

But since you have a decent router, why not set up some QoS rules to prevent this from happening again?
enotsmirb
Ezekiel 25 17
#228 - 2016-09-11 06:22:56 UTC  |  Edited by: enotsmirb
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
I think that's more permission issues rather than what you might think it is.

I run a 8mbit down connection and leave my launcher open when playing and never experienced such a bandwidth hog like that.

But since you have a decent router, why not set up some QoS rules to prevent this from happening again?




if a file is in use its locked and inaccessible to outside programs in this case the launcher in about 99% of all cases... you are missing the point again... The G-damn launcher did not know the client was running = loss of ship


Why I don't set up Qos on Cisco router for my wow/eve/porn computer? ...Because its Cisco IOS ! I like you, I really do but stop talking now. Pirate
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#229 - 2016-09-11 08:25:27 UTC
So you think that because it was trying to delete a file it couldn't....lead to it attempting to download the same file over and over?

Doesn't make sense bro

And get a better router!
Nakaara Adahsa
Deep Void Enterprises
#230 - 2016-09-11 11:05:26 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
So you think that because it was trying to delete a file it couldn't....lead to it attempting to download the same file over and over?

Doesn't make sense bro

And get a better router!


When software errors are involved, there are any number of possible behaviors that could be occurring that manifest as a particular set of symptoms. Many of them won't make sense until one identifies the root cause(s).

It's not our responsibility as customers to come up with explanations that completely make sense. That's the duty of CCP, as well as to ship software that actually works reliably. Stop trying to blame the customer for CCP's failures and general incompetence.
enotsmirb
Ezekiel 25 17
#231 - 2016-09-11 13:20:00 UTC  |  Edited by: enotsmirb
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
So you think that because it was trying to delete a file it couldn't....lead to it attempting to download the same file over and over?

Doesn't make sense bro

And get a better router!




You are more than welcome to diagnose my computer software related issues with your godlike Omnipresent, Omnipotent, and Omniscient abilities from the comfort of your own domicile. I am 100% sure you don't need log files and timestamps, error messages, and or even 1 more single clue related to this isolated incident. To conclude ...

No I never said it tried to download the same file over and over. What I wrote was "it went into a loop thinking the file was bad or couldn't be deleted/replaced" The assumption is that the launcher began to repair the client while it was running. Hence the excerpt I referred to(copy N paste) in the logfile.

The problem with your reply arguments is that your only affirmative assumptions you make is that my reasoning isn't sound or the issue is not what I think it is. Or I need a better router...

This thread is not intended to be an episode of mystery diagnosis. The only absolute fact here is **** be broke, **** need be fixed.... Please don't take my sunshine away ((x86)\CCP\EVE\bin\exefile)....

And my enterprise router retails for more than 80% of the cars on the road today and requires a CCNA CCNP skill set that in itself can cost more than most cars on the road today. Bro do you even Cisco?
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#232 - 2016-09-11 14:32:22 UTC
I don't thong th-thong thong thong no but I know a router with no QoS functionality is a bad router

Or maybe you just don't know how to configure it. Probably more likely if it cost that much.

Your assumptions make no sense, inability to delete a file would not trigger any downloading, inability to FIND a file might

Assuming that 'it's all broked ' can just end up in infinite possibilities. Maybe the office cat walked over the keyboard during bug testing. Have you ever heard of the phrase: " when you hear hooves, think horses not zebras"?

Very relevant in the world of any profession that requires any kind of diagnosis, network engineering falling well within that category.
Zappity
Kurved Trading
#233 - 2016-09-11 15:02:44 UTC
Why doesn't hitting Enter enter my password in the launcher?

Zappity's Adventures for a taste of lowsec and nullsec.

Vasili Zaitsez
HIgh Sec Care Bears
Brothers of Tangra
#234 - 2016-09-11 16:26:41 UTC
Tsukino Stareine

It seems that you have a considerable amount of Network Engineering knowledge and skill. While I am not as skilled as you appear to be, I am able to follow your comments. You may well be in a niche minority within this community. The advanced skills you demonstrate, the vast majority of this group does not seem to have. I mean no offense to anyone here.

Suggesting that persons access and configure or even "...get a better router!" implies that your audience is as proficient both technically and financially as you seem to be. That does not appear to be the case.

Wether players have the skills or not, we as the end user/consumer should not have to make fixes to accommodate a product or service we purchase (or subscribe to). We deserve a complete and working product. It is in CCPs best financial interest to provide and maintain a working product and maintain at least a generation of legacy compatibility to bring existing clients along.

Issues here are an array of legacy problems, configuration problems, hardware inadequacies and others. With no exe file as an alternate entry, those who are experiencing launcher problems will simply be shut out of the game during times of launcher failure.

I don't imagine it will take very many launcher failures to cause un-subbing.

I personally am very fortunate to have a mid level computer system, a fiber connection and almost no problems with the launcher. I will easily be able to continue this game. As it turns out, most of my corp is having success with the launcher too.

I think it is critical to the health of EvE to bring along as many as possible. Deleting the exe file now will simply exclude many from playing.

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice with us. Those who have skills comparable to you can capitalize on the information you provide.


warbds
Stoli Holdings
#235 - 2016-09-11 17:03:20 UTC  |  Edited by: warbds
I hope you make it possible to run 2 launchers otherwise I will get the downloads of 10Gb each time one of my nephews plays on my pc.

That works as follows each of them has an account.

They can't do anything on my disks (just enough rights to be able to log in)
The each have a disk with an installation of EVE on it full rights there. This disk they can snd wilol take them with them when they go home and they do.
On one of my disks I have a double installation of EVE works better as a single instalation still does!!
When I log into Eve and a disk is or was inserted in my pc, I will get a 10 Gb or more download.

Why well simple the launcher thinks it needs to reconfigure after they logged in because of the shared ******* cache . No they will not get more rights!

I even play Eve or any other game with limited rights. I can only see that game dir and a few other folders.

If not well I will end my subsription. No none will get my stuff
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#236 - 2016-09-11 17:11:05 UTC
There is an art to being passive aggressive and you sir have yet much to learn in its ways.

The 'get a better router!' I thought was clearly a joke, I do in fact work with Cisco routers on a daily basis and while not an expert can definitely tell you that most if not all have some kind of QoS functionality available to them. I only responded in such a way to one particular person because Mr CCNA stepped up to the plate. Of course I would not ask a regular person to crack into firmware of a router.

As to the rest of your post, I reiterate: CCP has no obligation to continue to support legacy and fringe systems. It does not make economic sense. They in fact have done more to make this game compatible than any other company I have ever had the misfortune to part my money with. Most companies just update their minimum requirements and tell you to shove it.

Keeping your equipment functioning and up to date is your OWN responsibility, can you seriously ask developers to somehow cover the situation where someone has not updated their video drivers in over a year in their coding? Of course not. The developers have an outstanding amount of resources available to them to cover as much as they possibly can, but it's not going to catch everyone. That's just cold harsh truth.

While I agree with you that having as many people able to log in to the game as possible is a good thing, you have failed to see the other side of this which is the fact that to even keep this game alive you need to be efficient with how you distribute your resources. Having tech support pick up tons of service tickets all about problems on decade old machines and unofficial ways of logging on is a waste of time and money in the long term.

Standardising platforms allows huge cost savings which can be then diverted into other MUCH more important areas of the game, like more content and improving the interface or CREST or any number of things that will make the game much better without being shackled to a 3rd party multi boxing program that CCP neither has control or influence on.

All in all I think people having problems with their launcher, most of it is PEBKAC with a few genuine instances where something may be up.
enotsmirb
Ezekiel 25 17
#237 - 2016-09-11 17:14:22 UTC  |  Edited by: enotsmirb
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
I don't thong th-thong thong thong no but I know a router with no QoS functionality is a bad router

Or maybe you just don't know how to configure it. Probably more likely if it cost that much.


It does have QoS functionality you bone head it's a Cisco ENTERPRISE ROUTER! For Bob's sake you just don't get that setting up Qos on a single client home network with enterprise equipment is like going squirrel (small rodent like mammal) hunting with a Lahti L-39 (anti-tank gun).

I don't know how to configure it? 17 years ass hat, 17 years....


This has been so much fun. +1 to get rid of the 100% fully functional stable tried and tested decade old launcher because Qos. (sarcasm)
Tsukino Stareine
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#238 - 2016-09-11 17:28:10 UTC
I wasn't suggesting anyone else do that, just you because you're capable of it.

Also that QoS sure would have helped you not lose that billion isk whatever right ;)?

Maybe that squirrel is secretly a cyborg and that anti tank gun might not be such a bad idea
enotsmirb
Ezekiel 25 17
#239 - 2016-09-11 17:37:25 UTC
Tsukino Stareine wrote:
There is an art to being passive aggressive and you sir have yet much to learn in its ways.

The 'get a better router!' I thought was clearly a joke, I do in fact work with Cisco routers on a daily basis and while not an expert can definitely tell you that most if not all have some kind of QoS functionality available to them. I only responded in such a way to one particular person because Mr CCNA stepped up to the plate. Of course I would not ask a regular person to crack into firmware of a router.

As to the rest of your post, I reiterate: CCP has no obligation to continue to support legacy and fringe systems. It does not make economic sense. They in fact have done more to make this game compatible than any other company I have ever had the misfortune to part my money with. Most companies just update their minimum requirements and tell you to shove it.

Keeping your equipment functioning and up to date is your OWN responsibility, can you seriously ask developers to somehow cover the situation where someone has not updated their video drivers in over a year in their coding? Of course not. The developers have an outstanding amount of resources available to them to cover as much as they possibly can, but it's not going to catch everyone. That's just cold harsh truth.

While I agree with you that having as many people able to log in to the game as possible is a good thing, you have failed to see the other side of this which is the fact that to even keep this game alive you need to be efficient with how you distribute your resources. Having tech support pick up tons of service tickets all about problems on decade old machines and unofficial ways of logging on is a waste of time and money in the long term.

Standardising platforms allows huge cost savings which can be then diverted into other MUCH more important areas of the game, like more content and improving the interface or CREST or any number of things that will make the game much better without being shackled to a 3rd party multi boxing program that CCP neither has control or influence on.

All in all I think people having problems with their launcher, most of it is PEBKAC with a few genuine instances where something may be up.


LOL You wouldn't even know how to log in to a cisco router back pedler.

"Mr CCNA stepped up to the plate". It was my plate (post) that you stepped up to if I remember right? I'm not a CCNA.

"Keeping your equipment functioning and up to date is your OWN responsibility." Except the issue is the software launcher not the equipment until you decided it was."

"Standardising platforms allows huge cost savings which can be then diverted into other MUCH more important areas blah blah blah." you sure like the tell everyone how important stuffs works.

"All in all I think people having problems with their launcher, most of it is PEBKAC with a few genuine instances where something may be up." oh so just a few instances are genuine... glad you could take the time to diagnose them.


Somebody take my keyboard from me....


Sabai Sukarala
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#240 - 2016-09-11 17:47:52 UTC
Cool this means its time to quit to eve once and for all. Bye 13 accounts and I dont even have to wait for the next ****** up game breaking patch in November.

On to the next game.