These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Exploring The Character Bazaar & Skill Trading

First post First post First post
Author
Admiral Akbar it'satrap
Akbar Logistics
#21 - 2015-10-15 15:37:32 UTC
This seems like something blizzard would scheme up.

count me a -1 for this idea.
Leto Aramaus
Frog Team Four
Of Essence
#22 - 2015-10-15 15:37:46 UTC
Not a fan.

EVE slowly becoming Free2Play and Pay2win?

I'd prefer removing character buying/selling altogether.
Luna Deos
Moon Intensifies
Deae Lunae
#23 - 2015-10-15 15:37:53 UTC
This feels a lot like the golden ammo we were promised wasn't going to happen when the AUR store was released.
EvilweaselSA
GoonCorp
Goonswarm Federation
#24 - 2015-10-15 15:38:08 UTC
i look forward to buying the characters of our enemies and turning them into skillgoop
Bam Stroker
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#25 - 2015-10-15 15:38:22 UTC
Death to the sacred cows imo. As a high SP character (with a few high SP alts) I'm ok with this. Newbies who didn't know what they were doing get a chance to respec before they're too old and old timers like me who want to min/max will get a chance to do so but will get a bad ROI for the privilege.

I would love to see how someone can apply Malcanis' law to this? (Not saying that can't; just that I'd be interested).

EVE Down Under - a community for players in the AUTZ

In-game channel: evedownunder // Twitter: @evedownunder

https://www.facebook.com/evedownunder

xttz
GSF Logistics and Posting Reserves
Goonswarm Federation
#26 - 2015-10-15 15:38:43 UTC
Point of note that some posting here seem to have missed:

You're not buying skills for real money. Someone has to extract those skillpoints from another character first, then the fee allows the transfer. Kinda like we currently do to transfer whole characters already.

Langbaobao wrote:
This is a really bad idea. I can think of a couple ways to abuse this right off the top of my head. I urge you to reconsider, 'cause this will be a disaster if it hits the live game.

On a side note, is CCP really so strapped for cash that it needs a new cash cow?

Absolutely yes
Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#27 - 2015-10-15 15:38:50 UTC
Peter Powers wrote:
Quote:

0 – 5 million skillpoints = 500,000 unallocated skillpoints added
5 – 50 million skillpoints = 400,000 unallocated skillpoints added
50 – 80 million skillpoints = 200,000 unallocated skillpoints added
> 80 million skillpoints = 50,000 unallocated skillpoints added

really? old players have to pay 10 times the price new players do for skillpoints?
as if it wasn't enought that most new content introduced is focused on new players, no now vets are actively being punished for sticking with the game?

They are pretty much forced to do this, honestly.

Otherwise, everyone in eve would generate bastard farms whose only purpose is funneling SP to their main character.

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Thalo Wolfkind
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2015-10-15 15:40:30 UTC
Downside: It ruins the ability to look at a character's corp history/created date and get a sense of their skillpoints.

Personally I'd rather see the improved character bazaar.
Wribbley
Molotov Holdings Limited
Molotov Coalition
#29 - 2015-10-15 15:40:46 UTC
Old players are invariably super rich with nothing much to spend isk on. I doubt any would care about the minimal return on investment.
It's still a terribad idea though.
Speedy Conzollis
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#30 - 2015-10-15 15:40:48 UTC
Stunned. Just no, please no.
Sanders Schmittlaub
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2015-10-15 15:41:49 UTC
I am torn on this.

On the one hand, I would love to be able to reallocate skillpoints that I have 'wasted' but at the same time, I feel that the decisions that players make should be something we have to live with. Being able to pay to fix the issues seems like an easy out.

The other issue I have is that the scaling of effectiveness will seriously unbalance the market with these items. The people who can afford to buy large numbers of skill packets (80+m SP) get the least out of them, but they can afford to buy them ten at a time to get the same effectiveness as a new player, which will in turn make it essentially impossible for new players (who will get the most out of them) to ever afford one.

With these being an AURUM item, the cost to buy one will need to be balanced with the profits that can be made off of them. PLEX is already absurdly expensive, so placing an item with good profits will only further make PLEX an unaffordable item. This would therefore force the costs of every other AURUM item up, and (while I don't use them) I know a lot of people are madly in love with ship SKINS.
Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#32 - 2015-10-15 15:42:20 UTC
xttz wrote:
Point of note that some posting here seem to have missed:

You're not buying skills for real money. Someone has to extract those skillpoints from another character first, then the fee allows the transfer. Kinda like we currently do to transfer whole characters already.

to be honest, that's exactly what it is.

i have an account that only holds characters that require no further skilling for their purpose. i would start selling every single SP trained on this account on the day this goes live.
Querns
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#33 - 2015-10-15 15:42:33 UTC
Honestly, I'm pretty surprised to the negative reaction here.

People posting about this (both here and from without) are quick to call this "ISK for SP;" did you all deliberately ignore the part where you have to liquidate an existing pilot's skill points to fuel the skill packets?

This post was crafted by the wormhole expert of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

Niraia
Starcakes
Cynosural Field Theory.
#34 - 2015-10-15 15:42:47 UTC
WTF are you doing to your game?

Laufey Sif Tetseldottir
Blue Lagoon Appreciation Society
#35 - 2015-10-15 15:42:48 UTC
-NO-
big miker
Handsome Millionaire Playboys
Sedition.
#36 - 2015-10-15 15:43:00 UTC
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

No
Paka-Tegat Birshiri
Paragon Material Extraction and Processing
#37 - 2015-10-15 15:44:00 UTC
Wow. I guess this is the end, CCP. So long and thanks for all the fish, but even the thought of "floating this idea for comment" makes me no longer want to support your game.

This is, literally, Pay2Win.

Sure someone has to train those skillpoints and extract them. But that doesn't change the fact that any player, any character, can now spend real life money for skillpoints, the one bastion of sanity remaining. In a world where you could already amass ISK easier by RMTing it... oops, sorry, buying PLEX and then selling those PLEX for ISK, totally not RMT... skill points remained one of the defining factors. You can fund as many expensive ships as you wanted, but you still had to put in the time and planning to be good at it, both in terms of character skills and player skill.

Thanks for all the memories, EVE. 4 accounts spanning almost 10 years will be hard to let go of, but it's time.

No, you can't have my stuff.
h4kun4
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#38 - 2015-10-15 15:45:13 UTC
im sorry, but i think this is the most terrible idea ive read since fozziesov
BlitZ Kotare
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#39 - 2015-10-15 15:45:51 UTC
My gut reaction to this is that it's a bad idea.

If you want to discuss pulling out complete skills for sale that would be more reasonable.

Example: when I was a newbie I trained Mining V and I don't want it anymore. Instead of removing SP that is injected as unallocated I instead consume some item and can pull out (and then sell on the market) the skillbook+sp for Mining V as a complete item. Any other player that doesn't have Mining V trained can then consume that item after buying it from me and enjoy their new mining skill.
Mike Azariah
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2015-10-15 15:45:57 UTC
I am also against this. I could go into details but . . . this feels wrong to me. Against what I thought the game to be.

m

Mike Azariah  ┬──┬ ¯|(ツ)