These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Decline in numbers... starting to turn into RAPID!!!

First post
Author
Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#2601 - 2015-12-02 22:51:49 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
Indahmawar Fazmarai wrote:
And that, mind you, is CCP at its finest. Ask anyone, everyone will agree that CCP Seagull is the best EP ever an the current plans are awesome.
Not everyone. The way I see it seagull brought it right back to "Say lots of words, deliver disappointment". The sov changes feel rushed and don't really seem to be moving towards fun gameplay, and right on the heels of that is citadels which are being delayed and breaking straight way from their new structure contesting mechanics. At some point after that is stargates, and I can't help but feel that it will either never materialise or come way too quick and too early and be terrible.

Honestly, judging by the massive investment into their VR development, I imagine the plan is "limp along until VR revenue takes over".

This is just CCP's latest long shot shiny thing that they are abandoning Eve for today.

It was Vampires before, Dust bunnies and now VR.

At some point the player base needs to realize we are simply funding The Next Best Thing™ at expense of our own entertainment.

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

40.7% Join a fleet. The idea that Eve is a PVP game is false, the social fabric is in Missions and Mining.

Chatarina DeBeers
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2602 - 2015-12-02 23:11:05 UTC
Oh ****, are PVE players leaving? Damn. Fewer people to gank. :( But now to some good news: I'm here to stay! :D

Okok, I like to do some PVE. I mean, a gurl's gotta earn her mo, right? Though it's not "PVE" that initially attracted me to this game, and frankly I know a lot of other games with a lot better PVE. Still, if it's been neglected, I'm sure CCP will do something about it. In fact I thin they've already tried. That's why we see such a inflation in PLEX prices. More junk to sell? Higher price for PLEX. It's just the way of economy.
Indahmawar Fazmarai
#2603 - 2015-12-03 21:10:48 UTC
Chatarina DeBeers wrote:
Oh ****, are PVE players leaving? Damn. Fewer people to gank. :( But now to some good news: I'm here to stay! :D

Okok, I like to do some PVE. I mean, a gurl's gotta earn her mo, right? Though it's not "PVE" that initially attracted me to this game, and frankly I know a lot of other games with a lot better PVE. Still, if it's been neglected, I'm sure CCP will do something about it. In fact I thin they've already tried. That's why we see such a inflation in PLEX prices. More junk to sell? Higher price for PLEX. It's just the way of economy.

PvE players represent 50% of all players. Then throw in 12% of players whose only reason to be in EVE is socializing. That's 62% of players who don't PvP and barely move out from highsec space -some don't even undock.

Do you see CCP spending anywhere close to 62% of their time and resources to preserve that crucial slice of their subscriber base? No way. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, and then the wagon crashes and burns when the other three wheels fall off...

Vic Jefferson
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#2604 - 2015-12-03 23:44:25 UTC
Lucas Kell wrote:
The sov changes feel rushed and don't really seem to be moving towards fun gameplay...

I was about to carefully consider your statement, then I realized the absurdity of anyone in your coalition complaining about how fun things are. There is no physical set of mechanics they can implement that would not result in your alliance fencing itself in from actual content, therefore actual engaging game play and fun.

Vote Vic Jefferson for CSM X.....XI.....XII?

Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#2605 - 2015-12-04 01:22:35 UTC
Chatarina DeBeers wrote:

PvE players represent 50% of all players. Then throw in 12% of players whose only reason to be in EVE is socializing. That's 62% of players who don't PvP and barely move out from highsec space -some don't even undock.

Do you see CCP spending anywhere close to 62% of their time and resources to preserve that crucial slice of their subscriber base? No way. The squeeky wheel gets the grease, and then the wagon crashes and burns when the other three wheels fall off...

Revise your numbers. Only 13.8% of logons participated in PVP, consensual or otherwise.

CCP Quant: Of all those who logon in Eve, 1.5% do Incursions, 13.8% PVP and 19.2% run Missions while 22.4% mine.

40.7% Join a fleet. The idea that Eve is a PVP game is false, the social fabric is in Missions and Mining.

Scipio Artelius
Weaponised Vegemite
Flying Dangerous
#2606 - 2015-12-04 01:50:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Scipio Artelius
Market McSelling Alt wrote:
Chatarina DeBeers wrote:

Revise your numbers. Only 13.8% of logons participated in PVP, consensual or otherwise.

EDIT: I need to double check my own analysis here in relation to the 13.8%, which from CCP Quants devblog indicates daily activity of players rather than characters. I seem to remember the Eve Vegas presentation discussing characters. My mistake if my memory is wrong. I'll adjust after checking the presentation. They still represent different stats, but my comment below may be wrong.

EDIT 2: After watching the talk, it's still not totally clarified. CCP Quant compared PCU count (in decline) against the activity of each logged in character (in ascent) to suggest that activity in the game hasn't been negatively affected by drop in PCU. He then broke the activity figures down and discusses people, but it's not clear if he meant individual players, or characters. It suggests characters, but may not be. I'll mail him to find out and update afterwards.

No, her numbers are correct.

The 62% percent relates to individual players. The 13.8% relates to characters (and is anyone that activates an aggressive module, not "consensual or otherwise").

They are not the same thing. My case is a good example of that. 1 player with multiple characters performing a range of activities.

On any day, 7 different characters could login:

Scipio: pvp
1st alt: links
2nd alt: industry, PI, mining, hauling
3rd alt: PI
4th alt: cyno
5th alt: cyno
6th alt: cyno

On the stats referred to by Indah I would most likely fit in the "professional" group and part of the other 38% (professional, aggressors)

However on the 13.8% stat for pvp I also align to that reasonably closely. Only 1 of my characters pvps when I login, but in terms of time played, pvp is my largest activity. My links alt is also involved in pvp related activities mostly, but doesn't show as pvp in the recent stats.

The rest of my characters have nothing at all to do with combat pvp, but the cyno alts are only logged on for 10-15 minutes a day for cyno and an hour or two for industry/hauling.

Both stats are relevant and one doesn't replace the other. They relate to different things.

They are also both worth additional analysis to consider what they really mean. They might mean something else to others, but while the 62% stat is fairly straight forward, the 13.8% isn't so clean cut.
Empress Honeybadger
The Free Folk
#2607 - 2015-12-04 07:59:24 UTC
Some retards advised increase in system number. What we need is more pvp interaction, not vast emty spaces. Any kind of non-pvp activity and being stuck in it will get boring and repetitive. For some in 2 months and for some in 2 years. All changes can have that mindset in mind.

1) We need to decrease the amount of systems in null and wormholes. Especially half of j-space is empty. Should be like 40+ people living in per wh system.

2) This would increase the risk pve people take in wh and null pve. Balance it with more isk. The only real shot at iskmaking in amounts above 200m isk per hour per account should be in null and WH. Currently soloing FW missions pay 2-3 times more than soloing c4 sites, while the WH person should spend much more effort to establish, and should take much more risk (no local) to lose a much more expensive ship. That is so uncool. I am saying this as a person whose main income is FW missions.

3) Hisec: HS incursioning should be destroyed. All those people should be forced to move to null or wh if they wanna make stacks of money. HS should be for trading and learning. Nerf any activity that makes more than 100m with a single account in HS. I know more than half of Eve lives in Hisec. CCP will either be intimidated by this to not to nerf HS income, but really in the end if all a guy does in this game is HS missioning then he will be bored and leave the game sooner or later.

4) Lowsec should be cheap ships killing each other in high amounts. FW kind of accomplishes that but remove missions.

5) WH and Null should be for real money making, empire building and huge wars. I like trade hubs in wormholes but they need even more content. I liked this suggestion on reddit that WH signatures in or to j-space should be made easier to scan down. One 16 au scan and you should get above %75 for each so it is obvious that the sigs are WH. Other stuff can remain to be harder to scan. Someone else offered bastion mode for blops and nestor, in which they get a huge scanning bonus. That is another good idea. In general people's ability to reach to each other should be improved.

6) Thera is one of the best ideas in this game. Double the amount of wormholes in it. Basically, given how important the meta stuff is, any group should be able to attack any other easily. Thera provides a nice alternative to nicely balance the jump changes.

7) Nerf jump fatigue for covert ops ships. I get the motivation behind limiting the capability of fleets to jump around. But for covops crews there is no such worry. For them it just means less fun. Even 100 men blops fleets (which I havent seen any) ability to jump more freely will not abusively change the tide of any major war.
erg cz
Blood Blind
Short Bus Syndicate
#2608 - 2015-12-04 08:44:10 UTC
Empress Honeybadger wrote:
All those people should be forced to move to null or wh

I prefer to play when I want to play and not when some fleet is scheduled. I would also appreciate possiblity to minimize risk of unwonated PvP, when I am not in the mood to PvP. Null and wh will force me to PvP, when I am not in the mood to do this. But I need ISK to PvP or just building the new toy I want to play with. And high sec is where I make ISK with very limited chance for PvP, when I do not want to PvP. FW always offer PvP, when I want it. And that is its role. IMHO. Not ISK making missions (here I agree with you)
Empress Honeybadger
The Free Folk
#2609 - 2015-12-04 18:11:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Empress Honeybadger
erg cz wrote:
Empress Honeybadger wrote:
All those people should be forced to move to null or wh

I prefer to play when I want to play and not when some fleet is scheduled. I would also appreciate possiblity to minimize risk of unwonated PvP, when I am not in the mood to PvP. Null and wh will force me to PvP, when I am not in the mood to do this. But I need ISK to PvP or just building the new toy I want to play with. And high sec is where I make ISK with very limited chance for PvP, when I do not want to PvP. FW always offer PvP, when I want it. And that is its role. IMHO. Not ISK making missions (here I agree with you)

Well, thats OK, but you should accept that you should not be able to make the same amount of isk with people who actually take the risks that you don't want to. I am sure you too would agree that that is just fair. The people I meant who should be forced into null/wh are people who want to make dank isk. You making isk in hisec on a par with a Rattlesnake ratting anomalies in nullsec or in a c4 is not acceptable. You can still make your risk free isk in twice the time.

Meanwhile if you wanna make dank isk then you should be forced into null/wh. Some people will kill your ratting ships occasionally. This is good because you provide content for them. The difference between wh/null and hs should be lucrative enough to make up for it. That is my point.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#2610 - 2015-12-04 20:09:11 UTC
So much back and forth. What I'm seeing is that old timers thinks it sucks because it's too easy. Noobs think it sucks because it's too hard whether by nature or because of vets giving them a hard time.

The common ground, by this logic of these considered views, is that the game sucks.

Glad we can agree.

When I get home I think I'll play some Fallout 4. I'm stoked.

But I'll keep paying a sub on a game to skill train just in case, someday, Eve gets interesting. I know better in my heart than to hope for such. But, whatever, it's 15 dollars. I waste more than that a week on the coffee shop going to work. People like me are CCP's favorite customers. Those who pay and don't play. If we are paying but aren't playing, we aren't complaining. Win-win for them. 😝
Solecist Project
#2611 - 2015-12-04 20:15:46 UTC
Considering the age of this thread this game should already have negative numbers.

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

dreddish
#2612 - 2015-12-04 20:23:19 UTC
Eves dead by empire griefing/ganking on the main trade runs.

How not to run a business by CCP will be a good book.

Solecist Project
#2613 - 2015-12-04 22:19:59 UTC
dreddish wrote:
Eves dead by empire griefing/ganking on the main trade runs.

How not to run a business by CCP will be a good book.

YES! You got it!
Too bad the game is still so young and won't possibly survive ten years of that! :/

That ringing in your ears you're experiencing right now is the last gasping breathe of a dying inner ear as it got thoroughly PULVERISED by the point roaring over your head at supersonic speeds. - Tippia

Tiberius Mathusia
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2614 - 2015-12-05 00:47:19 UTC
I've not noticed any reduction in activity within FW, if anything it's gotten busier.
Market McSelling Alt
Doomheim
#2615 - 2015-12-05 03:18:28 UTC
Tiberius Mathusia wrote:
I've not noticed any reduction in activity within FW, if anything it's gotten busier.

That would support CCP Fozzie's statement that Low/Null population increased while HS dropped.

It would support CCP Quant's numbers about High Sec activities as well.

In a time when we should have been increasing naturally due to the time of year, we actually decreased further. We are now averaging 18.5 for the last two weeks, down from 20k.

Captain Tardbar
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2616 - 2015-12-05 07:12:36 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Ishtanchuk Fazmarai wrote:
Hey, is this the thread where we all wave our favorite theories to save EVE from Impending Doom?

Then, here's mine!

Improve vastly the quality of highsec solo gameplay. Since that's what 80% of noobs end doing, and even as the churn rate is crazy it also is what 50% of players do exclusively, it should be the single most important thing for CCP.

Years of trying to cater to these kinds of people have resulted in the current situation. Here we see the power of self-interest, because what the above post is saying is 'hey, there is water coming into the ship, I like water, so lets turn on a fountain so that water gets into the ship faster!".

CCP has been on a crusade the past few years destroying what made EVE great in an attempt to 'broaden it's appeal'. When i started there just wasn't much PVE (there were missions, some static plexes around, COSMOS, lvl 5 missions were new, Marauders were new, Anomalies were random everywhere because of no upgrade system etc). CCP has literally STUFFED the game with PVE since then, Incursions, new missions, different focus for missions like epic arcs and pirate epic arcs, Wormhole PVE with new AI and mechanics, system upgrades in null sec, fleshed out npc factions like SOE and Mordus, "Clone" ships that drop tags, a mini game for exploration, new types of exploration like ghost sites, burner missions, and now Drifters.

And CCP has added way more safety to the game. A clean install of EVE Online will have a veteran declining so many pop ups and 'opportunities' it's crazy. Missions 'Guide' you, anomalies tell you how to get the escalation, mining ships have 'anchor' rigs and got ehp buffed a while back, CCP tweaked CONCORD several times, and even made faction police unbeatable (manipulating faction police used to be very fun in the early FW days).

The highlighted word above is the nail in the coffin. It seems like every time someone seems to have some fun or do something creative, CCP nerfs it. They advertised a game as "Be the Villain" then spent years nerfing villains...which did little but nerf people like me (anti-Villains). They advertised HUGE FLEET BATTLES then gave us Aegis. They advertised FREEDOM and have spent years developing constraints and nerfing freedom (because freedom is messy).

If you think EVE is dying you'd go back and look at when it wasn't dying, and advocate CCP do THAT again(concentrate on getting people to group together, for some to be villains, and for no one to ever feel 'safe'), not continue down the path that has led to the current situation. The path of trying to please those who can't ever be pleased, the Ishtanchuk Fazmarais of the world.

I had a bit of nostalgia with a friend on team speak so we both activated Plex's. First thing we noticed was the 14K pop on a Friday night when we used to play with 40K.

That said... The dead server is kind of nice. We had the ice belts to ourselves.

Looking to talk on VOIP with other EVE players? Are you new and need help with EVE (welfare) or looking for advice? Looking for adversarial debate with angry people?

Captain Tardbar's Voice Discord Server

Indahmawar Fazmarai
#2617 - 2015-12-05 07:26:39 UTC
Captain Tardbar wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:

Years of trying to cater to these kinds of people have resulted in the current situation. Here we see the power of self-interest, because what the above post is saying is 'hey, there is water coming into the ship, I like water, so lets turn on a fountain so that water gets into the ship faster!".

CCP has been on a crusade the past few years destroying what made EVE great in an attempt to 'broaden it's appeal'. When i started there just wasn't much PVE (there were missions, some static plexes around, COSMOS, lvl 5 missions were new, Marauders were new, Anomalies were random everywhere because of no upgrade system etc). CCP has literally STUFFED the game with PVE since then, Incursions, new missions, different focus for missions like epic arcs and pirate epic arcs, Wormhole PVE with new AI and mechanics, system upgrades in null sec, fleshed out npc factions like SOE and Mordus, "Clone" ships that drop tags, a mini game for exploration, new types of exploration like ghost sites, burner missions, and now Drifters.

And CCP has added way more safety to the game. A clean install of EVE Online will have a veteran declining so many pop ups and 'opportunities' it's crazy. Missions 'Guide' you, anomalies tell you how to get the escalation, mining ships have 'anchor' rigs and got ehp buffed a while back, CCP tweaked CONCORD several times, and even made faction police unbeatable (manipulating faction police used to be very fun in the early FW days).

The highlighted word above is the nail in the coffin. It seems like every time someone seems to have some fun or do something creative, CCP nerfs it. They advertised a game as "Be the Villain" then spent years nerfing villains...which did little but nerf people like me (anti-Villains). They advertised HUGE FLEET BATTLES then gave us Aegis. They advertised FREEDOM and have spent years developing constraints and nerfing freedom (because freedom is messy).

If you think EVE is dying you'd go back and look at when it wasn't dying, and advocate CCP do THAT again(concentrate on getting people to group together, for some to be villains, and for no one to ever feel 'safe'), not continue down the path that has led to the current situation. The path of trying to please those who can't ever be pleased, the Ishtanchuk Fazmarais of the world.

I had a bit of nostalgia with a friend on team speak so we both activated Plex's. First thing we noticed was the 14K pop on a Friday night when we used to play with 40K.

That said... The dead server is kind of nice. We had the ice belts to ourselves.

Nachtengel von Rothschild
#2618 - 2015-12-05 12:53:26 UTC
some people have said this already and some seem to forget the past.

the only reason eve players exist is to fund other ccp projects which they plan to cancel or bankrupt.

world of darkness
dust 514 (less than 2500 players log in a day yet they still waste resources on that pos)
what happened to project legion?
walking in stations
and the latest... virtual reality arcade games...

of course a company should expand... but this one is unable to thrive in other directions, instead just fails and fails and its a never ending trail of disappointment.

did you know they sold world of darkness/white wolf to another company? ahahahahaha

you really have to be dumb to not realize the potential amount of cash you could receive with a vampire IP and especially if licensed for some movies

whatever man... ccp is a waste of time... i'm only subbed because eve was great once and now im just gaining skill points while i play other games... i'm not going to resub once it ends however
Bianca Niam
Doomheim
#2619 - 2015-12-05 13:24:38 UTC
1 more month for me, then it's sort of waste of time at this point in time. While I love the game, the decline is starting to affect me in negative ways and I dont like that.
Solecist Project
#2620 - 2015-12-05 13:25:28 UTC
Nachtengel von Rothschild wrote:
some people have said this already and some seem to forget the past.

the only reason eve players exist is to fund other ccp projects which they plan to cancel or bankrupt.

world of darkness
dust 514 (less than 2500 players log in a day yet they still waste resources on that pos)
what happened to project legion?
walking in stations
and the latest... virtual reality arcade games...

of course a company should expand... but this one is unable to thrive in other directions, instead just fails and fails and its a never ending trail of disappointment.

did you know they sold world of darkness/white wolf to another company? ahahahahaha

you really have to be dumb to not realize the potential amount of cash you could receive with a vampire IP and especially if licensed for some movies

whatever man... ccp is a waste of time... i'm only subbed because eve was great once and now im just gaining skill points while i play other games... i'm not going to resub once it ends however

LOL