These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page
 

Tried to kill a Mobile Depot..

Author
Altony Compagno
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#1 - 2015-08-24 17:28:29 UTC
How does reinforcement work, exactly?

I saw a Mobile Depot floating in a belt where the career guy sent me to mine, and it had Russian writing so I decided to try to kill it. I went back to the space station, put guns on instead of miners, and went out to try my luck.

It took FOREVER. And then it didn't explode. I was close to killing the shields when it went invulnerable. A guy in local said that it was in reinforcement and I would have to wait until the timer ran out.

Will anyone else be able to kill it between now and then? What happens when it comes out of reinforced? Will it be open for anyone to kill it then, or just me, and how long does it stay vulnerable?

Thanks ahead of time. I am a handful of days into my trial and am having a good time, even though my first attempt at space piracy was a bust!

Twisted
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#2 - 2015-08-24 18:00:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Xercodo
The reinforcement timer depend son the structure. With starbases it's based on how much strontium fuel they have. With a depot I believe the time is 48 hours.

Once it's out of reinforced its goes back to being vulnerable for anyone else to kill.

During this time, however, the owner can come back and just scoop it back up. And if they're so inclined, could even redeploy it in the same spot and then leave it there with a new reinforce state like nothing ever happened.

I believe depots have a way to self-reset their reinforce state, but U forgot how long that is or what the criteria is. With starbases it was something like once the shield goes over 75% it can be reinforced again.

The Drake is a Lie

Altony Compagno
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#3 - 2015-08-24 18:04:58 UTC
So if the owner comes back they can negate all that time I spent trying to kill it?

How would someone ever get rid of one of these things? I can't read Russian so I am not sure what it says, but they are spammed all over in the belts that I mine in. I am guessing it is an ad or something.



Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#4 - 2015-08-24 18:06:55 UTC
What Xercodo said. Definitely bookmark the location and check back after 48 hrs on the off chance he hasn't checked and picked it up, but it becomes 100% invulnerable on reinforcement when it hits 25% shields.

What were you attacking with? I think they only have around 5,000 EHP or something like that
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#5 - 2015-08-24 18:08:38 UTC
Altony Compagno wrote:
it had Russian writing so I decided to try to kill it.


HahahaBig smile
It was likely a recruitment mtu, if it was in a newbie system then I'd say it was with a fair bit of certainty.
Btw "Russian" written characters are called CyrillicBlink
Altony Compagno
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2015-08-24 18:10:49 UTC
Thank you.

I only had one ship, the one they give you to start. I was doing the industrial agent guy's missions first so I have that and a Venture mining ship so far and that isn't for fighting, is it? I bought the best guns and ammo I could afford (I think) for that starting ship.

5,000 is a lot by 6-15s!

Altony Compagno
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2015-08-24 18:16:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Altony Compagno
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Altony Compagno wrote:
it had Russian writing so I decided to try to kill it.


HahahaBig smile
It was likely a recruitment mtu, if it was in a newbie system then I'd say it was with a fair bit of certainty.
Btw "Russian" written characters are called CyrillicBlink



Thank you. Learn something new every day!

It was a newbie system, you are right, in Minmatar space with the career agents.

I guess I should try to kill something else next, eh? Maybe a new thread for that.

ON EDIT: You think they will retaliate? Do they get a notification of who did it?
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#8 - 2015-08-24 18:21:56 UTC
Altony Compagno wrote:
Thank you.

I only had one ship, the one they give you to start. I was doing the industrial agent guy's missions first so I have that and a Venture mining ship so far and that isn't for fighting, is it? I bought the best guns and ammo I could afford (I think) for that starting ship.

5,000 is a lot by 6-15s!


You're my new favourite nubie.
Couple of hours in and rearing to go, love it.
And people say newbies need protecting from PvP...

Keep up with the tutorials mate,
the particularly useful ones would be the combat and the exploration ones ( they're going to give you ships,skills and pointers on some useful skills)
afterwards look for the sisters of eve epic arc ( little research goes a long way here) and that should send you around the place a bit and set you up with a little bit of isk.

Altony Compagno
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2015-08-24 18:28:25 UTC
Thanks for the tips. I did quit the industrial agent, so I will start the other paths tonight.

So much to learn. So little time.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#10 - 2015-08-24 18:45:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Ralph King-Griffin
"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time"

Edit: they do if you kill it, don't think so otherwise but I could be wrong.
Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#11 - 2015-08-24 19:05:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Sonya Corvinus
Kind of on topic, kind of off topic, but posting this in the hopes you keep shooting things.

Mobile Depots have a 2 day reinforcement timer, Mobile Tractor Units do not, so if you come across one of those, you will be able to blow it up immediately. They have more EHP (50k-ish) than depots, but those are the two most widely used mobile structures you will see right now.
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#12 - 2015-08-24 19:20:32 UTC
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
Kind of on topic, kind of off topic, but posting this in the hopes you keep shooting things.

Mobile Depots have a 2 day reinforcement timer, Mobile Tractor Units do not, so if you come across one of those, you will be able to blow it up immediately. They have more EHP (50k-ish) than depots, but those are the two most widely used mobile structures you will see right now.

The good thing about mobile tractors is they're generally along side a pissedoff mission runnerBlinkPirate
Altony Compagno
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#13 - 2015-08-24 19:54:29 UTC
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
Kind of on topic, kind of off topic, but posting this in the hopes you keep shooting things.

Mobile Depots have a 2 day reinforcement timer, Mobile Tractor Units do not, so if you come across one of those, you will be able to blow it up immediately. They have more EHP (50k-ish) than depots, but those are the two most widely used mobile structures you will see right now.


Thank you!

As I said up-thread, I had a hell of a time taking the shields (most of them, anyway) off of a depot. With 10x the HP I am guessing I'd run out of ammo about the same time I ran out of patience.

It was pretty scary as it was, going suspect in a system with 50+ people, in an asteroid field where there were three people mining and a guy in a slasher. I just KNEW at any moment I was going to die. Loved that rush.

Ha ha.

I will try the career missions that Ralph mentioned and see if I can't get a ship with a little better guns and damage before I try a tractor unit!

In the meantime, I will try to keep shooting things. I was tempted to try to gank a venture in my starter ship yesterday, but after the miserable damage I saw on the depot thing, I thought against it.

Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#14 - 2015-08-24 20:36:12 UTC
Altony Compagno wrote:

Thank you!

As I said up-thread, I had a hell of a time taking the shields (most of them, anyway) off of a depot. With 10x the HP I am guessing I'd run out of ammo about the same time I ran out of patience.

It was pretty scary as it was, going suspect in a system with 50+ people, in an asteroid field where there were three people mining and a guy in a slasher. I just KNEW at any moment I was going to die. Loved that rush.

Ha ha.

I will try the career missions that Ralph mentioned and see if I can't get a ship with a little better guns and damage before I try a tractor unit!

In the meantime, I will try to keep shooting things. I was tempted to try to gank a venture in my starter ship yesterday, but after the miserable damage I saw on the depot thing, I thought against it.



Do all the career missions, you will end up with a handful of decent ships.

Also, watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de1hwoFYA_k

It has a decent skill plan and fit for new PvP playing as minmatar.

The fit in that video (use T1 instead of T2 when needed) is a decent place as ever to start
Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#15 - 2015-08-24 20:45:22 UTC
Absolutely +1 for eveiseasy , fabulous work, well worth a sub.
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#16 - 2015-08-24 20:45:50 UTC
Altony Compagno wrote:
Thank you.

I only had one ship, the one they give you to start. I was doing the industrial agent guy's missions first so I have that and a Venture mining ship so far and that isn't for fighting, is it? I bought the best guns and ammo I could afford (I think) for that starting ship.

5,000 is a lot by 6-15s!



Lol I was reinforcing mobile depots in a 2x civ railgun Ibis a while back. Alcohol may have been involved. but yea it takes a while.

Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
Kind of on topic, kind of off topic, but posting this in the hopes you keep shooting things.

Mobile Depots have a 2 day reinforcement timer, Mobile Tractor Units do not, so if you come across one of those, you will be able to blow it up immediately. They have more EHP (50k-ish) than depots, but those are the two most widely used mobile structures you will see right now.

The good thing about mobile tractors is they're generally along side a pissedoff mission runnerBlinkPirate

the best thing about mobile tractors is when they are alongside an afk mission runners pod and their ship's loot is in the mtu Pirate

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#17 - 2015-08-24 23:02:07 UTC
Altony Compagno wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I did quit the industrial agent, so I will start the other paths tonight.

So much to learn. So little time.
If you decide to go back and do it, or repeat any of them there's 3 sets of career agents for each race. You're not restricted as to which ones you can use but you can only get the missions once from each agent. IIRC there's a fairly good standings increase from the tutorial agents too.

Mobile Tractor Units make good bait too Pirate

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

McChicken Combo HalfMayo
The Happy Meal
#18 - 2015-08-25 01:03:13 UTC  |  Edited by: McChicken Combo HalfMayo
You have inadvertently taught yourself one of the most important lessons in EVE Online: Kill all things Russian.

Here's a +1 for being a quick learner.

There are all our dominion

Gate camps: "Its like the lowsec watercooler, just with explosions and boose" - Ralph King-Griffin

Rawketsled
Generic Corp Name
#19 - 2015-08-25 01:57:16 UTC
Altony Compagno wrote:
It was pretty scary as it was, going suspect in a system with 50+ people, in an asteroid field where there were three people mining and a guy in a slasher. I just KNEW at any moment I was going to die. Loved that rush.

Ha ha.

I will try the career missions that Ralph mentioned and see if I can't get a ship with a little better guns and damage before I try a tractor unit!

In the meantime, I will try to keep shooting things. I was tempted to try to gank a venture in my starter ship yesterday, but after the miserable damage I saw on the depot thing, I thought against it.


You are definitely going to fit in with this game.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#20 - 2015-08-25 02:11:29 UTC
As it is impossible to communicate with the Russians because of their strangely shaped letters coexistence is impossible. Blow up all of their things.
123Next pageLast page