These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Tried to kill a Mobile Depot..

Author
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#41 - 2015-08-27 16:42:02 UTC
There's no CONCORD on your loss mail. It was all hound. So long as your safety is not set red you won't be able to do anything that causes a CONCORD response.

Ice belts very often have CONCORD ships in them because the barges there attract suicide gankers, which is probably what the houn was in the belt for (gankers attract anti-gankers who basically just shoot the ganker to get free killmails).

Altony Compagno
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#42 - 2015-08-27 16:45:17 UTC
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
There's no CONCORD on your loss mail. It was all hound. So long as your safety is not set red you won't be able to do anything that causes a CONCORD response.

Ice belts very often have CONCORD ships in them because the barges there attract suicide gankers, which is probably what the houn was in the belt for (gankers attract anti-gankers who basically just shoot the ganker to get free killmails).



That makes sense. Looking at the German's zkill stuff it looks like he did just kill a ganker the other day, too.

Well crap. It feels good to have my first death out of the way, but I sure could use a kill.

On to the next!
Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#43 - 2015-08-27 17:09:20 UTC
EVE logs all combat automatically, it's in a menu on the left hand toolbar in game and saved to C:\Users\username\Documents\EVE\Logs out of game.

If you check out the logs from the fight, you can see when the hound first targeted you and how much time passed before you attacked back. It can be helpful to see how much damage you did/what your response time was/etc once the adrenaline wears off
Cara Forelli
State War Academy
Caldari State
#44 - 2015-08-27 17:42:26 UTC
Altony Compagno wrote:
Well crap. It feels good to have my first death out of the way, but I sure could use a kill.

On to the next!

I would say, add that hound to your watchlist and see if you can track him down and bait him out again. As Vimsy said, stealth bombers do not apply well to frigates at all, so with a complete fit and a little less nerves you can probably take him down. In general, frigates will tear apart a stealth bomber. Your DPS will be fairly low from skills so it may be a bit closer in your case but should still be manageable.

Protip: Moving helps mitigate damage from missiles (especially "large" class missiles like torpedoes from the Hound). Moving with an afterburner will mitigate even more damage (by increasing your speed but not your signature radius like an mwd).

And don't forget your rep! Your lossmail shows it was still full of paste so you didn't get to finish a cycle in that fight. Better plan on hitting it earlier next time.

Want to talk? Join my channel in game: House Forelli

Titan's Lament

Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#45 - 2015-08-27 18:31:09 UTC
One more general piece of advice that I wish someone game me when I first started is to set up the test server on your computer.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Singularity

It's a parallel server that devs use to test new content, but you can log in with your current player/current skills/etc. All items in the game are 100isk, and there are two combat 'arena' systems, so you can fit a rifter, call out in local asking someone in a hound to come attack you, and practice fights.

No losses show up on zkillboard, it has no effect on your actual character, but it is a great way to get better/test out fits/etc.
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#46 - 2015-08-27 19:04:32 UTC
Flying around annoying people in an ice belt absolutely will result in you getting kills, however because you're entirely reliant on someone else shooting first, any anyone in the entire game can shoot you without penalty it requires quite a lot of care and attention.
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#47 - 2015-08-27 19:35:34 UTC
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
As it is impossible to communicate with the Russians because of their strangely shaped letters coexistence is impossible. Blow up all of their things.

Babel Fish or google translate or a dozen other free apps makes it pretty easy.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#48 - 2015-08-27 19:36:46 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
i have only seen the eve community agree on a handfull of things and those are,

the old moa was hidious
the new domi is gorgeous
shoot at the Russians

I usually agree with you Ralph but I rather dislike the new domi. I want my old domi back

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#49 - 2015-08-27 19:47:39 UTC
Altony Compagno wrote:
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
There's no CONCORD on your loss mail. It was all hound. So long as your safety is not set red you won't be able to do anything that causes a CONCORD response.

Ice belts very often have CONCORD ships in them because the barges there attract suicide gankers, which is probably what the houn was in the belt for (gankers attract anti-gankers who basically just shoot the ganker to get free killmails).



That makes sense. Looking at the German's zkill stuff it looks like he did just kill a ganker the other day, too.

Well crap. It feels good to have my first death out of the way, but I sure could use a kill.

On to the next!

you can search by system on zkillboard to sometimes help clear up questions like this.

Also with regards to figuring out what is going on I think you need to learn how to set up your overview

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#50 - 2015-08-27 19:56:05 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
with regards to figuring out what is going on I think you need to learn how to set up your overview

Very true, op should read this
Sonya Corvinus
Grant Village
#51 - 2015-08-27 20:23:35 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:

you can search by system on zkillboard to sometimes help clear up questions like this.

Also with regards to figuring out what is going on I think you need to learn how to set up your overview


What by chance is the phonetic pronunciation of your name?
Azda Ja
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#52 - 2015-08-27 20:29:57 UTC
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:

you can search by system on zkillboard to sometimes help clear up questions like this.

Also with regards to figuring out what is going on I think you need to learn how to set up your overview


What by chance is the phonetic pronunciation of your name?

I imagine it's like saying "er muh gerd" with a full mouth.

Grrr.

ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#53 - 2015-08-27 20:37:09 UTC
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:

you can search by system on zkillboard to sometimes help clear up questions like this.

Also with regards to figuring out what is going on I think you need to learn how to set up your overview


What by chance is the phonetic pronunciation of your name?

I never intended this toon to become what it is. The name is just a keyboard mash. It took me 0.73179 seconds to type this name so that is how it got chosen. It was never meant to be used or pronounced. It's one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time later on I wished I had done it differently. Like taken at least 4 or 5 seconds to think of a name.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#54 - 2015-08-27 20:42:16 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:

you can search by system on zkillboard to sometimes help clear up questions like this.

Also with regards to figuring out what is going on I think you need to learn how to set up your overview


What by chance is the phonetic pronunciation of your name?

I never intended this toon to become what it is. The name is just a keyboard mash. It took me 0.73179 seconds to type this name so that is how it got chosen. It was never meant to be used or pronounced. It's one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time later on I wished I had done it differently. Like taken at least 4 or 5 seconds to think of a name.

i had a feeling it was something like mashing your face off the keyboard...good to know i wasn't far off.

Which actually reminds me of more advice for the op : when making an alt for yourself (you will eventually i can tellBlink) don't give it a name similar to your own, they have waaaaay more utility if they aren't obviousBlink
ergherhdfgh
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#55 - 2015-08-27 20:59:38 UTC
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Sonya Corvinus wrote:
ergherhdfgh wrote:

you can search by system on zkillboard to sometimes help clear up questions like this.

Also with regards to figuring out what is going on I think you need to learn how to set up your overview


What by chance is the phonetic pronunciation of your name?

I never intended this toon to become what it is. The name is just a keyboard mash. It took me 0.73179 seconds to type this name so that is how it got chosen. It was never meant to be used or pronounced. It's one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time later on I wished I had done it differently. Like taken at least 4 or 5 seconds to think of a name.

i had a feeling it was something like mashing your face off the keyboard...good to know i wasn't far off.

Which actually reminds me of more advice for the op : when making an alt for yourself (you will eventually i can tellBlink) don't give it a name similar to your own, they have waaaaay more utility if they aren't obviousBlink

Ya you nailed that one. I made this toon to scout out a low sec jump for me very early into my eve career. I was trying to avoid a situation like you pointed out where someone would see "Bob's scout alt" jump into system followed by "Bob" and then have people wondering what I was carrying that warranted a scout alt.

So yes your pirate spidey senses were right on there. Or maybe I should say your sith lord dark side powers.

Want to talk? Join Cara's channel in game: House Forelli

Ralph King-Griffin
New Eden Tech Support
#56 - 2015-08-27 21:36:33 UTC
ergherhdfgh wrote:
Or maybe I should say your sith lord dark side powers.

Good
Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#57 - 2015-08-27 23:35:57 UTC
Erg-Her-Hud-Fug
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#58 - 2015-08-28 14:09:22 UTC
Vimsy Vortis wrote:
Erg-Her-Hud-Fug
If you really love me, you'll swallow that.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Altony Compagno
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2015-08-28 20:55:33 UTC
Fewer lessons today as my play time was brief. I spent most of it trying my best to adjust my overview, move the window around, adjust the camera, etc.

I think I have a plan that may be delayed over the weekend, but in place next week. We will see. It will likely end in yet another death for me, or revenge.

Steadily training the skills recommended by the countless threads here, videos, and blog posts. Thank you all for your help. I think my goal will be to fly frigates and destroyers, minmatar and gallente, and try to do them very well before moving on to anything else. It seems like a long (and expensive) road.

Niko Johnson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#60 - 2015-08-28 21:50:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Niko Johnson
Ralph King-Griffin wrote:
Oh no worries mate, I actually put more on your head than I gave you Twisted(to help with the reputationBlink)
don't worry, bountys have no in game impact whatsoever beyond bragging rights.
But yeah as we discussed, skills would be a great investment at this point.



You sir are a genius! You make it seem like you just put a bounty on his head for fun. But in fact it's a cheap way to get automated updates (in the form of bounty payouts) on this adventure seeking newbro. A subscription to 'The glorious explosions of Altony Compagno' or just 'The early days' if you will. Pretty cheap entertainment if you ask me Roll

Here's a medal. This is EVE.