These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proteus - January] Recon ships

First post First post First post
Author
Mario Putzo
#2181 - 2015-01-05 19:42:58 UTC
Hicksimus wrote:
I'm going to move into a C1/C2 with dual static. I will rotate my statics until I find something to attack.....their only warning will be a new signature. Seems fair to me! But maybe because I will be the one winning.

Right because you couldn't already be doing this with T3's, Force Recons, Stratios.

I honestly don't understand how people think this change is significant at all, let alone game breaking. Its a gimmick cloak that functions really no different than a cov ops cloak.

It isn't unique, its not special, and it is entirely redundant addition to the game. AKA a Gimmick.
Hamish McRothimay
Norse Complex Inc
#2182 - 2015-01-05 22:07:29 UTC
@ccp_rise

Has the opening post been updated to reflect latest resists / sig radius / slot changes / power grid etc etc ?

Aroye
Mechvale Planetside Productions
Fed Terrorists
#2183 - 2015-01-06 01:19:46 UTC
Has anyone considered giving force recons a "no targeting delay after decloak" instead of d-scan immunity? Combat recons don't have a cloak so it may make sense to only let them have the new d-scan immunity.
PastyWhiteDevil
Wilderness
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
#2184 - 2015-01-06 03:44:03 UTC
Aroye wrote:
Has anyone considered giving force recons a "no targeting delay after decloak" instead of d-scan immunity? Combat recons don't have a cloak so it may make sense to only let them have the new d-scan immunity.

force recons are not getting d-scan immunity. they only want to give it to combat recons.
PastyWhiteDevil
Wilderness
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
#2185 - 2015-01-06 03:53:05 UTC
is there anyone else who thinks making the lach all hybrid with a tracking and optimal bonus is stupid? please keep or increase the rof bonus to hams and heavies increase the hybrid dmg bonus and then give it th ability to fit all missiles or all turrets.

the lachesis is not there for dmg projection while in a gang. this change is not well thought out. all it does is gimp scram lach's in solo or small gang situations and severely hinder its versatility.
Aiyshimin
Shiva Furnace
#2186 - 2015-01-06 07:44:47 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Hicksimus wrote:
I'm going to move into a C1/C2 with dual static. I will rotate my statics until I find something to attack.....their only warning will be a new signature. Seems fair to me! But maybe because I will be the one winning.

Right because you couldn't already be doing this with T3's, Force Recons, Stratios.

I honestly don't understand how people think this change is significant at all, let alone game breaking. Its a gimmick cloak that functions really no different than a cov ops cloak.

It isn't unique, its not special, and it is entirely redundant addition to the game. AKA a Gimmick.

No, you can't do that with T3s, Force Recons, Stratios, because you see all those ships on dscan when they enter the system.

I honestly don't undestand how people without any clue about EVE Online or the game mechanics insist on posting in these F&I threads.

Aiyshimin
Shiva Furnace
#2187 - 2015-01-06 07:52:47 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:
Aiyshimin wrote:

Mate the Lachs are indeed shield tanked and currently the Arazu just can't do it. It has almost 30k less EHP.

Nobody gives a **** about recon dps, their unique feature is to be long range tackle in shield fleetsand like said, there are no alternatives and the dominant fleet comp today hinges on the existence of the combat recons. They aren't "unused crap", they are ships which Ishtars Online depends on.

I didn't say they were unused crap, I said they are marginally better than Force Recons in performing the EXACT same fleet role, and that this Gimmick change is going to do nothing to enhance that An Arazu will still be just about equal as a Lach after this change in a combat role, yet still have its host of other beneficial utility.

I think my favorite line though is. No one gives a **** about recon dps.

Case in point as to why these changes miss the mark. Combat Recons should combat. Force Recons should specialize in EWAR.

Also 30K more EHP from a Lach vs an Arazu....hue hue hue. You high son?

Yes, currently Lach gets about 30k more EHP than Arazu, Are you ******** son, hue hue hue?

After change Lach is still faster, has better layout, more tank, more scan res and lock range, harder to jam and on top of it does way more damage, which means that it's still a better choice for fleet combat than Arazu, which has only cyno time and fuel reduction as selling points in fleet context.
Hicksimus
Torgue
#2188 - 2015-01-06 11:19:21 UTC
Mario Putzo wrote:

You must be new to the idea of wormholes. When d-scan is all you've got you spam it and when you spam it you see every ship you just listed before it can re-cloak with the exception of when it is more than 14.3 AU away. My new plan ONLY warns them if they know to run away when a new sig appears and that's a significant change.

Recruitment Officer: What type of a pilot are you? Me: I've been described as a Ray Charles with Parkinsons and a drinking problem.

Gabriel Karade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#2189 - 2015-01-06 14:39:36 UTC
PastyWhiteDevil wrote:

this is quite literally my favorite ship in game. please don't ruin it. lest we forget that roden favors MISSILES
The Roden missiles brain-bug has been stupid since the day it appeared. It's only taken like 5 years to get it squashed - now (as per my ancient 'Gallente Mk II' thread) at least there is some sense restored to the Gallente line:

Duvolle - Blasters
Roden - Railguns
Creodron - Drones

War Machine: http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=386293

Niskin
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#2190 - 2015-01-06 14:43:17 UTC
I don't know what kind of stasis field you people are operating in but the time between aligning or initiating warp and clicking the cloaking device is less than one second. That means at most you are on scan for one to two seconds. The fastest you can click d-scan is every two seconds. The only time people actually show up uncloaked for any length of time is when they are dropping probes.

So yes, if you click scan every two seconds, always, you might notice a cloaky ship entering your wormhole. People are arguing in here like that's always the case, and it's not even close. Try clicking scan every two seconds for 10 minutes, if you can even keep up with it your wrist will be burning in no time. Now do that for an hour, or multiple hours, for days.

The truth is that you can catch people sneaking up on you with d-scan, but that doesn't mean you always will.

It's Dark In Here - The Lonely Wormhole Blog

Remember kiddies: the best ship in Eve is Friendship.

-MooMooDachshundCow

King Fu Hostile
Mea Culpa.
Shadow Cartel
#2191 - 2015-01-06 15:39:41 UTC
Niskin wrote:
I don't know what kind of stasis field you people are operating in but the time between aligning or initiating warp and clicking the cloaking device is less than one second. That means at most you are on scan for one to two seconds. The fastest you can click d-scan is every two seconds. The only time people actually show up uncloaked for any length of time is when they are dropping probes.

So yes, if you click scan every two seconds, always, you might notice a cloaky ship entering your wormhole. People are arguing in here like that's always the case, and it's not even close. Try clicking scan every two seconds for 10 minutes, if you can even keep up with it your wrist will be burning in no time. Now do that for an hour, or multiple hours, for days.

The truth is that you can catch people sneaking up on you with d-scan, but that doesn't mean you always will.

You show up on scan long after you have clicked cloak on your client and disappear from grid. Your cloaky Proteus can be already in warp after cloaking, and still visible on dscan.

Speedkermit Damo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#2192 - 2015-01-06 15:39:50 UTC
Have you nerfed Ishtars yet CCP Rise?

Have you nerfed Logi yet?

Getting bored with Ishtarceptors online.

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

Niskin
The Dead Parrot Shoppe Inc.
The Chicken Coop
#2193 - 2015-01-06 16:20:31 UTC
King Fu Hostile wrote:
Niskin wrote:

You show up on scan long after you have clicked cloak on your client and disappear from grid. Your cloaky Proteus can be already in warp after cloaking, and still visible on dscan.

That has not been my experience. There will be inherent delays due to long distance communication with the server, and the 1 second server ticks will propagate that a bit. But I've never seen a case where somebody cloaked and still showed on scan for any length of time, even for 1 second.

It's Dark In Here - The Lonely Wormhole Blog

Remember kiddies: the best ship in Eve is Friendship.

-MooMooDachshundCow

Aladar Dangerface
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#2194 - 2015-01-06 17:46:09 UTC
Niskin wrote:
King Fu Hostile wrote:
Niskin wrote:

That has not been my experience. There will be inherent delays due to long distance communication with the server, and the 1 second server ticks will propagate that a bit. But I've never seen a case where somebody cloaked and still showed on scan for any length of time, even for 1 second.

I have, i would say it is about 2-4 seconds that you will remain on dscan after you cloak but there defo is a delay between cloaking and disappearing from dscan and i have absoutley no doubt about it.

I don't need twitter. I'm already following you.

Promiscuous Female
GBS Logistics and Fives Support
#2195 - 2015-01-06 21:30:22 UTC
lmbo you people are still talking about this
Alexis Nightwish
#2196 - 2015-01-06 21:43:08 UTC
Aladar Dangerface wrote:
Niskin wrote:
King Fu Hostile wrote:
Niskin wrote:

I have, i would say it is about 2-4 seconds that you will remain on dscan after you cloak but there defo is a delay between cloaking and disappearing from dscan and i have absoutley no doubt about it.

This is true. I've seen cov ops on Dscan for 2 sometimes even 3 scans before they vanish. Let's not forget that if you're in a fleet, you're all spamming Dscan and getting multiple scans per second.

Now you're required to have eyes on every WH (and outside your FW plex too?) as being vigilant with Dscan is no longer sufficient to give you warning of an incoming threat. Which means alts. Any change that requires alts to play competitively is a bad change IMO.

And just after they nerfed ISboxer too. One step forward, one step back. *sigh*

CCP approaches problems in one of two ways: nudge or cludge

EVE Online's "I win!" Button

Fixing bombs, not the bombers

Kynric
Sky Fighters
Rote Kapelle
#2197 - 2015-01-06 23:15:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Kynric
Before the change it is possible to fit the Huginn with weapons that project sufficient to match the webs without resorting to fitting modules. The proposed will have to use the new low for a reactor if arty is desired. A bit more powergrid to facilitate fitting artillery or a strong falloff bonus for autocannons or switching the ship back to launchers would make the vessel more attractive. As it stands it seems rather less interesting than the current version which rarely gets used as another ship always seems like a much better choice.
Yahrr
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2198 - 2015-01-07 02:28:11 UTC
Alexis Nightwish wrote:
This is true. I've seen cov ops on Dscan for 2 sometimes even 3 scans before they vanish. Let's not forget that if you're in a fleet, you're all spamming Dscan and getting multiple scans per second.

The same goes for being on other people's overview after cloaking. At least with the old effect, after your ships got fully cloaked, the ship's bracket remained visible in space, overview and d-scan for a few seconds. When they nerfed cloakers going through deadspace gates we tested if you would land fully cloaked on the other side and in most occasions there was a short flash of flashy red on the target's overview, even while the cloaker was already completely cloaked before being halfway the warp.

I haven't been juggling with EFT's files, but when I look at the slots and bonuses of the force recons versus the combat recons, I want to kick myself for not selling my old cloakies. They're almost obsolete now unless you want to light a Christmas tree in someone's backyard or have to skip a camped gate.
2D34DLY4U
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2199 - 2015-01-07 12:12:36 UTC  |  Edited by: 2D34DLY4U
Designing ships in EVE is a very hard thing to do, you have to think about solo use, small gang use, fleet use (same ship my have totally different fits/uses in these contexts and if possible should be useful in all of them to make for a richer game), further factor in how does this specific ship compare with it's same tiered peers (size wise among cruisers, isk wise bang for the buck versus T1, other T2, T3, Faction) and finally try to introduce new and interesting game play mechanics to make it fun / EVE a better game.

I can understand the d scan immunity feature is an attempt to introduce some variety through a new unique mechanic however I still feel it doesn't really accomplish that (not a game changer or a big deal at the end of the day), it favors IMO regressive game play mechanics (ganking vs. roaming) and it further introduces unnecessary complexity in a system badly in need of a redesign, if you think about new player experience we now have to teach NP about d scan, then about cloaky ships and now also about d scan immune ships - they probably just want to find people to shoot and have good fights, this added complexity doesn't help in any way or bring value in terms of providing richer gameplay opportunities (IMO).

I do agree the local / d scan intel system should be addressed by devs, either through ship design changes or a complete overhaul, this system should be a simple and easy tool aimed at helping players find what they want (engagements, structures, sites) and not a barrier between what they want to do and their goals which is currently what happens with this medieval sonar like interface we have. I know everyone likes to think they are d scan wizards however if you think about it honestly it's quite simple and repetitive and not exactly a triple A game play experience.

Perhaps we can just replace the d scan with an elite like radar visual system, no more click click click rotate camera around click click click warp click click click, just a self refreshing visual radar thingy where you can see whats around you within 14 AU and right click objects on the radar to get a warp to menu like we have on the overview, if we treat groups of close ships as blobs we can also help differentiate solo/small gang/fleets and reduce load. I don't know if this is technically viable or if it will introduce lag / server overhead but any change that simplifies engagement generating mechanics and allows players to get to what they want - engagements - is a good thing since it will promote better game play in the end, both while finding fights and generating more fights as that's what matters, not all these pseudo complex pre engagement gameplay mechanics we have that in the end just just foster risk aversion.

E: if this radar thingy creates too much lag just remove d scan altogether from all ships and make it so only some ships have it (or as a module), haven't thought about this much but we could have blind ships that roam in the dark, d scan radar ships and combat probing ships.
Jaysen Larrisen
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#2200 - 2015-01-07 12:24:02 UTC
2D34DLY4U wrote:
Designing ships in EVE is a very hard thing to do, you have to think about solo use, small gang use, fleet use (same ship my have totally different fits/uses in these contexts and if possible should be useful in all of them to make for a richer game), further factor in how does this specific ship compare with it's same tiered peers (size wise among cruisers, isk wise bang for the buck versus T1, other T2, T3, Faction) and finally try to introduce new and interesting game play mechanics to make it fun / EVE a better game.

I can understand the d scan immunity feature is an attempt to introduce some variety through a new unique mechanic however I still feel it doesn't really accomplish that (not a game changer or a big deal at the end of the day), it favors IMO regressive game play mechanics (ganking vs. roaming) and it further introduces unnecessary complexity in a system badly in need of a redesign, if you think about new player experience we now have to teach NP about d scan, then about cloaky ships and now also about d scan immune ships - they probably just want to find people to shoot and have good fights, this added complexity doesn't help in any way or bring value in terms of providing richer gameplay opportunities (IMO).

I do agree the local / d scan intel system should be addressed by devs, either through ship design changes or a complete overhaul, this system should be a simple and easy tool aimed at helping players find what they want (engagements, structures, sites) and not a barrier between what they want to do and their goals which is currently what happens with this medieval sonar like interface we have. I know everyone likes to think they are d scan wizards however if you think about it honestly it's quite simple and repetitive and not exactly a triple A game play experience.

Perhaps we can just replace the d scan with an elite like radar visual system, no more click click click rotate camera around click click click warp click click click, just a self refreshing visual radar thingy where you can see whats around you within 14 AU and right click objects on the radar to get a warp to menu like we have on the overview, if we treat groups of close ships as blobs we can also help differentiate solo/small gang/fleets and reduce load. I don't know if this is technically viable or if it will introduce lag / server overhead but any change that simplifies engagement generating mechanics and allows players to get to what they want - engagements - is a good thing since it will promote better game play in the end, both while finding fights and generating more fights as that's what matters, not all these pseudo complex pre engagement gameplay mechanics we have that in the end just just foster risk aversion.

Good post but slightly off topic.

I actually like your d-scan idea and it's probably worthy of a thread on its own. Be prepared for the whole "ur nerfing EVE and turning this into WOW carebear city!" from som folks.

"Endless money forms the sinews of War" - Cicero

Biomassed - Dust & EVE Podcast

Twitter - @JaysynLarrissen