These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Long-Distance Travel Changes Inbound

First post First post First post
Author
Chainsaw Plankton
FaDoyToy
#201 - 2014-10-01 17:47:11 UTC
ccp is bringing the sledgehammer back!

@ChainsawPlankto on twitter

Antoine Jordan
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#202 - 2014-10-01 17:47:35 UTC
Thank G*d, finally an easy way to get my Moros from GQ2 to TPAR
Jalebi
Tata Space Industries
#203 - 2014-10-01 17:47:36 UTC
So uhh 0.0 industry is still reliant on high-sec because you didn't put enough low-end minerals in null, but you reduced JF ranges to beyond unreasonable. It would be better if JFs simply remained untouched for this patch while you still work in revamping 0.0 and especially industry.
Kalenn Istarion
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#204 - 2014-10-01 17:47:45 UTC
I understand where this thinking is coming from but the specifics of the implementation make this seem pretty unattractive. Part of the fun of owning a capital is its extraordinary mobility. It's a defining feature of the class of ships. Making a trip, in your particular example, take two hours to get from north Deklein to Geminate is straight up unmanageable. 2 minutes per system cruising (sloooowwwwlllyyy) in the warp animation is just not going to be enjoyable gameplay for anyone. If the choice is between logging in my cap ship to spend hours moving it with no prospect of actual combat I'm going to just do something else with my time. Great for subs I guess, but this needs a lot more thinking if there's an intention for caps to continue to be a part of large group gameplay. These changes frankly ensure that nothing like Asakai or B-R will ever happen again because aggressor parties will flat out never be able to get into position.

Similarly, applying these restrictions to player-built jump bridges in the absence of an alternative for long-distance movement significantly impacts the value of holding the infrastructure for them at all. Consider an example where a gang roams into Deklein. By virtue of our organization and intel, we're able to form a home defense gang in minutes and have them in place to defend a given area of space, or alternatively to be able to get ahead of a gang that's being pursued. If timers are applied to jump-bridges, the value of that local presence is almost entirely removed. For a more specific example, consider a gang changing direction just after the local pursuers have popped through a bridge. The pursuers are now stuck staring at a timer while the hostiles have even better access to the space they're attacking. Perhaps a way to define a home region where these penalties don't apply? Restricting it to owned Sov is too punitive and would make standings irrelevant for sharing of infrastructure.

Try Harder.

Nav illus
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#205 - 2014-10-01 17:47:47 UTC
Dear CCP
You're doing it right.

Best wishes.
Nav
Domanique Altares
Rifterlings
#206 - 2014-10-01 17:48:06 UTC
colera deldios
#207 - 2014-10-01 17:48:17 UTC
http://i.snag.gy/7wUYD.jpg

Super easy solution.
Uriel Paradisi Anteovnuecci
Itsukame-Zainou Hyperspatial Inquiries Ltd.
Arataka Research Consortium
#208 - 2014-10-01 17:48:19 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Dorrim Barstorlode
And I like this a LOT- it finally gives smaller groups the ability to actually do something.

Most of the whining in this thread is coming from members of big alliances- let's see who will be affected the most.

Still, I feel like Black Ops should be exempt from this altogether, or at least in a much less severe way- making them the best covert fleet ship would make a lot of sense- and that, combined with the other idea I keep talking about would make covert fleets into a class of fleet all their own.

Anyhow, back to the matter at hand- people are complaining about how they're not going to be able to just move all the way across the galaxy in 10 minutes- having ships, all ships, as a whole, take a scaled time to travel makes sense- smaller ships, right now, can never keep up with capital ships- this has never really made sense in my mind- making ships all take a similar amount of time to travel from A to B is a VERY good idea.

Also, if caps are going to be able to use gates, just let them come into high sec again- no cynos in high sec, but more fun for everyone- maybe we'd see suicide battleship fleets ganking carriers and dreads on gates P
Edwin Wyatt
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#209 - 2014-10-01 17:48:29 UTC
Needmore Longcat wrote:
Can we buy PLEX to make the timer go down faster? Or make in-app purchases on a mobile application?

Silly rabbit,

Of course they will allow you to reduce the timer, with more and more and more skills :)

Bamboozlement
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#210 - 2014-10-01 17:48:33 UTC
McGeeUK wrote:
Idea Well that's £30 a month I can save! Idea

can i have your stuff XDDDDDDDDDDDD Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

please gieb

I have a Ph.D

captain foivos
State War Academy
Caldari State
#211 - 2014-10-01 17:48:46 UTC
THIS IS AWESOME
Outzone
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#212 - 2014-10-01 17:48:50 UTC
Well I guess this will be my first and last post, CCP by placing these restrictions you will be making Null-sec even more stagnant. Players will be limited on how far and how fast they can more from place to place let alone the movement of commerce in and out of Null-sec into Low-sec and High-sec space. Please re-think your plans, your going to harm EvE.

Note that I did not say I was leaving EvE, No tears here just distain for short sightedness.
Reppyk
The Black Shell
#213 - 2014-10-01 17:48:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Reppyk
They see me playin'
They hatin'
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin' dirty
But jump fatigue is in
But jump fatigue is in
But jump fatigue is in
But jump fatigue is in ♪

CCP you're doing God's work. Dont be afraid to nerf a few things.

I AM SPACE CAPTAIN REPPYK. BEWARE.

Proud co-admin of frugu.net, a French fansite about EVE !

Henri de Paul
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#214 - 2014-10-01 17:48:58 UTC  |  Edited by: Henri de Paul
Lyn Fel wrote:
CCP, why did you kill my corp?

Yes, I know the jump fatigue isn't as bad in a jump freighter but with the new jump ranges we will simply be unable to deliver to some systems. Our customers should expect much slower service and limited delivery areas after this change.

If it was only the range issue then it wouldn't be that bad. Sure, deliveries would take longer (and probably cost more).

The removal of deathcloning is worse though. You now have to move all those cynos around by flying through space, which is going to take time.

Edit: Okay, I take that back. The 5 ly limit is pretty bad. It means some places you have to take some major detours. For example, try getting from Derelik to Curse. Shortest jump is Podion -> Doril which is 5.3 ly. Avoiding sov-space make that 5.3 ly into 8 jumps...
Seraph Essael
Air
The Initiative.
#215 - 2014-10-01 17:49:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Seraph Essael
I Love it!!! Lol

Seriously, when the wormhole changes happened, all the nullbears told us to suck it up and stop crying that we had to put our capitals at risk (even though they were already at risk when rolling) so essentially even more risk.

Now the tables have turned, how about you put your capitals at risk when moving them...Roll

Quoted from Doc Fury: "Concerned citizens: Doc seldom plays EVE on the weekends during spring and summer, so you will always be on your own for a couple days a week. Doc spends that time collecting kittens for the on-going sacrifices, engaging in reckless outdoor activities, and speaking in the 3rd person."

leich
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#216 - 2014-10-01 17:49:05 UTC
Please share which ever drugs you were taking when you came up with these changes because god they must be strong you crazy people.

Please explain how these changes make 0.0 better? they just make caps unusable. and blops even worse
Gin Andtonic
Adhocracy Incorporated
Adhocracy
#217 - 2014-10-01 17:49:16 UTC
Sooo, coming from w-space, we're unnaffected. Well no, it means we can engage in k-space with a little more impunity. It makes the jump-distance-change a tiny bit less debilitating if we connect to a nullsec system that wants to harass us. It makes our logistics...marginally harder? Moving capitals in and out certainly becomes yet more tedious.

I would mostly worry about tedium. Slower gameplay is not better gameplay.
Arcos Vandymion
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#218 - 2014-10-01 17:49:19 UTC
Quote:
We will be actively participating in the comments thread of this blog and listening elsewhere around the internet.

Is a confession of failure for EVERY SINGLE DEVBLOG EVER.
Bamboozlement
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#219 - 2014-10-01 17:49:35 UTC
bp920091 wrote:
This change will completely destroy the T2 economy of eve, due to incredibly ill-thought changes.

1. The moon distribution for R8 and R32 moons is EXTREMELY regional, with most regions containing not a single moon of a R8/32 type, while containing a massive surplus of another type.

2. These changes make POSs of a type not supported locally being just about impossible to run, due to the massive M3 needed to import/export.

3. R64s wont be affected by tower type, as they can fit several silos and a reaonable defense on them, regardless of race (some do it better, but all are able to do it)

4. The amount of m3 that needs importing/exporting, even just with R8/32 Materials, is unfeasible for going via gates

Since CCP has decided on keeping R8/32 moons regional, a centralized meeting place is an absolute necessity, which is why places like Jita are so good for selling and buying goo for reactions and T2 components.

These changes will do nothing but increase the price of T2 ships and mods by an unimaginable degree, as well as making logistics to any region not associated with a large 0.0 entity (and being part of that large 0.0 entity).

CCP, if you want to do this, make resources (ice and R8/32) universally distributed. It's the only way you can possibly do it WITHOUT completely killing the T2 economy

GIVE ME YOUR MOONS I'll HAUL THAT STUFF NO PROBLEM BRO, JUST LEAVE 0.0 IF YOU DON'T LIKE HAVING TO WORK FOR YOUR MOONGOO

I have a Ph.D

Edwin Wyatt
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#220 - 2014-10-01 17:50:08 UTC
Techno36 wrote:
rip black ops only being to hit one target and then having to wait a long time for the timer to count down

Its called being strategic.

Adapt or die.