These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Probe

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

EVE Probe Installer 0.82.6614.0

First post First post First post
Author
Funless Saisima
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#41 - 2014-09-18 16:48:06 UTC
So I run EVE using DX9 because awhile back DX11 would crash and I never bothered switching back. I noticed that Probe studders quite a bit and has frame tearing. Neither happens when I play regular EVE. I presume Probe is running DX11.

WIndows 7 64 bit
Intel Core i5-2500k
16 GM RAM
Radeon HD 6800

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#42 - 2014-09-18 16:55:19 UTC
Funless Saisima wrote:
So I run EVE using DX9 because awhile back DX11 would crash and I never bothered switching back. I noticed that Probe studders quite a bit and has frame tearing. Neither happens when I play regular EVE. I presume Probe is running DX11.

WIndows 7 64 bit
Intel Core i5-2500k
16 GM RAM
Radeon HD 6800

Yes, EVE Probe runs DX11 if the machine supports it. It will fall back to DX9 if DX11 is not supported.

It also runs without V-Sync, so you will see tearing you wouldn't otherwise see.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#43 - 2014-09-18 16:59:14 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
When will non-window customers get to see this?

Soon, I hope - we haven't forgotten the Mac users. We have used it inhouse - the Probe itself runs fine under Cider, but we haven't decided how to deal with the launcher bit that gathers the data.

CCP Snorlax - Software Architect - Team RnB - @CCP_Snorlax - http://ccpsnorlax.blogspot.is/

CCP Vesna Prishla
Doomheim
#44 - 2014-09-18 17:00:49 UTC
Woohooo new software

CCP Vesna Prishla | Customer Support |  @CCPVesnaPrishla

Butch Cassidy
#45 - 2014-09-18 17:14:49 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
When will non-window customers get to see this?

Soon, I hope - we haven't forgotten the Mac users. We have used it inhouse - the Probe itself runs fine under Cider, but we haven't decided how to deal with the launcher bit that gathers the data.

:mac: - I guess at least 70-80% of EVE's players are Windows users. Since OSX has very horrible driver translation for NVidia, I'd just ignore them for the Probe Beta.
Karbowiak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#46 - 2014-09-18 17:29:48 UTC
Will it auto update in the background? Mostly thinking that if it's set as screensaver, it'll run multiple times a day, giving you guys more intel, but will it auto update aswell?
CCP Maxwell
C C P
C C P Alliance
#47 - 2014-09-18 17:41:50 UTC
Karbowiak wrote:
Will it auto update in the background? Mostly thinking that if it's set as screensaver, it'll run multiple times a day, giving you guys more intel, but will it auto update aswell?

It will not auto-update. For now, at least, we will simply post a new thread here if we have an update.

If you do run it as a screensaver, it will not send the performance results to us. Apart from alerting us of crashes, it is purely for your viewing pleasure.

CCP Maxwell - QA Engineer - Team RnB

Karbowiak
State War Academy
Caldari State
#48 - 2014-09-18 17:43:59 UTC
CCP Maxwell wrote:
Karbowiak wrote:

It will not auto-update. For now, at least, we will simply post a new thread here if we have an update.

If you do run it as a screensaver, it will not send the performance results to us. Apart from alerting us of crashes, it is purely for your viewing pleasure.

Well that sorta sucks.. But now i guess you know what to put into it next! :P

1. Automatic updates
2. Performance metrics from screensaver runs
Akasha Mayan
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#49 - 2014-09-18 18:14:47 UTC
As pleased as I am that a tool such as this exists to provide a way to measure and directly compare the performance of different cards under Eve, I don't find any of the tests to be a very good facsimile for its real loads. Ok it's a tool designed to allow the run and test of a checklist of effects; but as a benchmark approximating use, your fleet3 'large fleet' is barely a small gang; It does not tell me what I'd need to recommend; whether to render a fleet of 250 drakes, all firing (as an approximate minimum for a one-time regular fleet engagement). Let alone performance once 200 boots (archons - with drones, cyno and bridging in ~1000 subcapital support, firing, doomsdays - all at the same time).

How about a re-enactment of B-R5RB to set the scale? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvB2nRGMl2c
Frodo Agnon
A Guaranteed Disaster
#50 - 2014-09-18 18:26:29 UTC
I Demand this be turned into a screensaver at once!
Funless Saisima
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#51 - 2014-09-18 18:51:56 UTC
Akasha Mayan wrote:

How about a re-enactment of B-R5RB to set the scale? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvB2nRGMl2c

And follow a frig zooming past the dreads and titans.
Kendra Zane
Working From Home
#52 - 2014-09-18 18:55:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Kendra Zane
Mine doesn't want to get past the "Preparing renderer" stage in a timely manner. The bar doesn't move and if I alt-f4 the process after 5-10 minutes and restart it, it'll get a little further each time. I've rebooted and there's nothing to suggest why it's slow. Both CPU and GPU usage are minimal/none.

Edit: system specs
i7 920 at stock
GTX 580
12GB RAM
Win 7 pro 64
Kasimir Wulf
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#53 - 2014-09-18 18:57:01 UTC
Frodo Agnon wrote:
I Demand this be turned into a screensaver at once!

it has a screensaver built into it.. good job at reading and actually checking what you are installing before spam clicking next in the installer.

back to the actual program, i ran into a few problems.

1. the second scene never actually runs for me. first attempt it loaded to 65% sat there for 2 minutes crashed. second attempt it loaded to 95% sat there for 2 minutes showed a frigate then crashed. third time it went to 95% showed the frigate and skipped to the next scene. in the results it claimed it was successful all 3 times at 8fps, but it never actually ran the render.

2. the third scene once i finally got it to come up basically got stuck in an infinite loop and wouldn't stop playing even though in the results it claimed it finished with an average of 12fps. never was able to get to the 4th scene.
Dawnel
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#54 - 2014-09-18 19:08:41 UTC
Pie Napple wrote:
What is up with the naming lately? Lets just name everything after ships in the game, hyperion, kronos, probe. Makes googling for stuff a bit more confusing. Two things in the same universe sharing the same names can cause some confusion :)

I'll just launch some probes from my probe while trying out probe.

Maybe because the ships were named after the titans out of Greek mythology. They're just re-using the names of them.

"first the Titans—six males: Coeus, Crius, Cronus, Hyperion, Iapetus, and Oceanus; and six females: Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Rhea, Theia, Themis, and Tethys"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_mythology#Origins_of_the_world_and_the_gods
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#55 - 2014-09-18 19:34:57 UTC
Kendra Zane wrote:
Mine doesn't want to get past the "Preparing renderer" stage in a timely manner. The bar doesn't move and if I alt-f4 the process after 5-10 minutes and restart it, it'll get a little further each time. I've rebooted and there's nothing to suggest why it's slow. Both CPU and GPU usage are minimal/none.

i7 920 at stock
GTX 580
12GB RAM
Win 7 pro 64

This would indicate that the download of resources is very slow for some reason. We should be getting error logs from you even if the run was abandoned - we'll be going through those logs and can hopefully figure out what is going wrong.

CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#56 - 2014-09-18 19:41:06 UTC
Akasha Mayan wrote:
As pleased as I am that a tool such as this exists to provide a way to measure and directly compare the performance of different cards under Eve, I don't find any of the tests to be a very good facsimile for its real loads. Ok it's a tool designed to allow the run and test of a checklist of effects; but as a benchmark approximating use, your fleet3 'large fleet' is barely a small gang; It does not tell me what I'd need to recommend; whether to render a fleet of 250 drakes, all firing (as an approximate minimum for a one-time regular fleet engagement). Let alone performance once 200 boots (archons - with drones, cyno and bridging in ~1000 subcapital support, firing, doomsdays - all at the same time).

Our focus for now is squarely on measuring the engine performance with various types of content - we know the really heavy fleet fights perform poorly even on powerful machines but for now we wouldn't necessarily get more useful data from such scenes.

Over time we'll add more scenes, with more specific tests, but also larger ones, throwing everything in there. We'll probably have scenes designed to bring any machine to its knees...

Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#57 - 2014-09-18 19:47:40 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Over time we'll add more scenes, with more specific tests, but also larger ones, throwing everything in there. We'll probably have scenes designed to bring any machine to its knees...

You should know that making such statements is a bad idea...

Someone will take it as a challenge and you will end up getting a log where it's going 500 fps and they're running triple SLI with GTX Titans.
CCP Snorlax
C C P
C C P Alliance
#58 - 2014-09-18 19:53:44 UTC
Sentient Blade wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:

Someone will take it as a challenge and you will end up getting a log where it's going 500 fps and they're running triple SLI with GTX Titans.

Hey, I can use that as a reason to request such a setup on my desk. How can I optimize for a triple SLI GTX Titan setup if I don´t have that on my desk?

Sven Viko VIkolander
In space we are briefly free
#59 - 2014-09-18 21:04:25 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Sentient Blade wrote:
CCP Snorlax wrote:

Hey, I can use that as a reason to request such a setup on my desk. How can I optimize for a triple SLI GTX Titan setup if I don´t have that on my desk?

Programmer logic. RollBig smile

Also, IMO the news about the probe release should be posted on the news on the EVE online launcher or something so it gets a lot more exposure.
Kendra Zane
Working From Home
#60 - 2014-09-18 21:43:09 UTC
CCP Snorlax wrote:
Kendra Zane wrote:

i7 920 at stock
GTX 580
12GB RAM
Win 7 pro 64

This would indicate that the download of resources is very slow for some reason. We should be getting error logs from you even if the run was abandoned - we'll be going through those logs and can hopefully figure out what is going wrong.

If you aren't getting the logs, I've found them in the ProgramData folder and could email them to you. Where would be best to send them?