These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Response Regarding SOMER Blink Concerns

First post First post First post
Author
Andski
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#121 - 2014-08-20 20:29:10 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:

However, SOMER Blink has offered to reimburse ISK to players as part of their closure....

yeah but they are banned. So how should this reinbursement work now? Or are they about to be banned once they are done?

yeah dude there was one person in somerblink handling all of those payouts within 5 minutes 24/7

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Edward Harris
Inner Geek
#122 - 2014-08-20 20:29:16 UTC
Sion Kumitomo wrote:

It's funny you ask that, as this exact situation actually did happen to a goon CSM [..] and after about a month, his account was restored.

I'm not surprised one bit.
Blobskillz McBlub
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#123 - 2014-08-20 20:29:21 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Falcon
Edward Harris wrote:
Blobskillz McBlub wrote:

yes because the ******* sales department has **** all to do with legal questions. Get this into your head it's a good lesson for your life when dealing with corporations.

you got legal questions?

WAIT FOR CONFIRMATION FROM THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT

Oh, I see - so CCP has nothing to do with CCP. I suppose it was too much to expect from a VP POSITION to take care of the LEGAL questions, right? Yeah, totally out of scope and anyways, **** customers..

yes guess what the sales department does when they have concerns about legal questions. they ask the legal department for confirmation and dont just wing it.
and a VP position doesnt mean ****. All the VP is is the stand-in for the guy in charge. And even the boss of the sales department would have no clue about legal questions.
Abrazzar
Vardaugas Family
#124 - 2014-08-20 20:29:55 UTC
The execution of a public figure will always be public by the nature of the person in question. There is no dealing quietly with it. Someone would have made it public on some channel. So using the official channels allows CCP to resolve this in a orderly fashion and contain any squealing hordes preemptively.
Nick Moretti
Jump Drive Appreciation Society
#125 - 2014-08-20 20:30:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Nick Moretti
I'm still relatively new to the game (less than 1 year) and it amazes me that something like this apparently happened before with Somer Blink and no real punishment was given? Just glad to see no special treatment with the way this most recent issue was handled. Just straight up ToS & EULA violations and a fair consequence.
Mangala Solaris
Blue Republic
RvB - BLUE Republic
#126 - 2014-08-20 20:30:35 UTC
Bienator II wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:

However, SOMER Blink has offered to reimburse ISK to players as part of their closure....

yeah but they are banned. So how should this reinbursement work now? Or are they about to be banned once they are done?

Somerblinks funds may not be necessarily held on accts or in places only Somerset can access. There is a staff for the site that no doubt can pay such sums out of corporate assets or what have you,
Anya Klibor
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#127 - 2014-08-20 20:30:47 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
Hendrick Tallardar wrote:
So as to appease the people accusing sites like CrossignZebras.com, EVENews24.com, TheMittani.com etc. as well as tossing in EVE focused YouTube channels.

Is the promotion of using an Amazon referral link to buy PLEX, which would give a small percentage based kickback to the referrer a violation of any of CCP's policies? For example, I run the YouTube channel YouTube.com/UbaStij and after doing a video on say "How To Align Like A Pro" I mention there is an Amazon link in the description which leads to Amazon's store to buy a PLEX. I state "buying a PLEX through this Amazon link will help keep me operating this service for you the consumer." Is that permitted?

What if I operated the channel with several underlings who were compensated for their contributions in ISK and not through real money? Is it still permitted to promote purchasing through our Amazon referral link to maintain our overhead costs?

I know this has been answered previously, but some people make the assumption that doing so is no different than the scheme Somer Blink tried last year and this time around and I'd like to have CCP's stance. CSM can weigh in if they want but considering they aren't actually the policy makers it's not going to win people over in my assumption.

Ridiculous. You want fair than yeah you should be banned siggy creators should be banned killboards should be banned. They get isk and have an account business related. The EULA clearly states you can't have an EvE account or play EvE for business purposes. Do I think thats right? No. But its the rules so if were going to **** SomerBlink than everyone should get ****** equally for that is justice.

You are all types of dumb.

Leadership is something you learn. Maybe one day, you'll learn that.

AkJon Ferguson
JC Ferguson and Son Ltd
Ferguson Alliance
#128 - 2014-08-20 20:30:56 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal.

"Second, SOMER Blink advertised the promotion as being “approved by CCP.” But SOMER Blink never had permission from CCP to make such a statement,"

In other words: Yes, the promotion was approved by CCP. But we didn't give him permission to tell people that it was approved by CCP.
Lae Allier
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#129 - 2014-08-20 20:30:57 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:

Ridiculous. You want fair than yeah you should be banned siggy creators should be banned killboards should be banned. They get isk and have an account business related. The EULA clearly states you can't have an EvE account or play EvE for business purposes. Do I think thats right? No. But its the rules so if were going to **** SomerBlink than everyone should get ****** equally for that is justice.

Except that in the case of Zkillboard, Dotlan, CZ, TMC etc. there is no in-game reward for using their referral links. They aren't providing any incentive other than "help us keep this running and that's all we ask." Somer however, were offering ISK credits last year and then attempting to do the same through a PLEX buyback program. They aren't comparable like you're attempting to portray.

Sorry but the companys you just mentioned are run as a business model and make real money out of it so that too is against CCP rules so I want to see the owners banned publicly as well, as it states

- Accounts may not be used for business purposes. Access to the System and playing EVE is intended for your personal entertainment, enjoyment and recreation, and not for corporate, business, commercial or income-seeking activities.

All of the formentioned "companys" recieve real money as a result of EVE Online. I will be pursuing this further !
Vaju Enki
Secular Wisdom
#130 - 2014-08-20 20:31:04 UTC
Finally CCP did something. Cry more please, maybe you guys get a Ishukone Watch Scorpion.

The Tears Must Flow

HVAC Repairman
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#131 - 2014-08-20 20:31:14 UTC
Edward Harris wrote:
dexington wrote:

Is TMC not paying people isk to write articles for the sites, which in return gives ad revenue to the owner?

That's fine, since Goons like TMC and dont whine about possible RMTing on the forums. I'm sure at least 75% of CSM approves.
Welcome to Goons-Online

Welcome to Gewn Eden, amirite?
Hendrick Tallardar
Doomheim
#132 - 2014-08-20 20:32:02 UTC
dexington wrote:
Except that in the case of Zkillboard, Dotlan, CZ, TMC etc. there is no in-game reward for using their referral links. They aren't providing any incentive other than "help us keep this running and that's all we ask."

Is TMC not paying people isk to write articles for the sites, which in return gives ad revenue to the owner?

Yes they do pay their EVE writers in ISK. This falls in line with CCP's policy pertaining to paying in-game ISK for EVE content such as art, signatures, videos etc. The policy doesn't allow for writers to be paid for non-EVE related work such as writing an article on The Witcher 3 or Elite Dangerous. Nor does it permit the

They don't provide any incentive to the consumer, i.e. the reader, to use their referral links, read their site etc. outside of aiming to provide "higher quality content" (their words). The ad revenue earned from the service they provide, for free, is no different than zKillboard/EVE-Kill putting ads on their site. It's no different than an EVE player making an EVE video and monetizing it on YouTube to earn real money. Savvy?
Nam Dnilb
Universal Frog
#133 - 2014-08-20 20:33:36 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
AkJon Ferguson wrote:

"Second, SOMER Blink advertised the promotion as being “approved by CCP.” But SOMER Blink never had permission from CCP to make such a statement,"

In other words: Yes, the promotion was approved by CCP. But we didn't give him permission to tell people that it was approved by CCP.

Don't talk sense please. This is a self congratulary circle jerk after all.
Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#134 - 2014-08-20 20:35:01 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Falcon
dexington wrote:
Except that in the case of Zkillboard, Dotlan, CZ, TMC etc. there is no in-game reward for using their referral links. They aren't providing any incentive other than "help us keep this running and that's all we ask."

There is no quid-pro-quo for giving them cash and receiving ISK (or vice versa), no.

Lae Allier wrote:
Sorry but the companys you just mentioned are run as a business model and make real money out of it so that too is against CCP rules so I want to see the owners banned publicly as well, as it states
…except that nothing of what they do is against the rules — in fact, CCP has explicitly allowed that kind of income generation.
Big Lynx
#135 - 2014-08-20 20:35:53 UTC
Seems like my hangar of uniques has received a massive skyrocket in value today! Ty CCPBig smile
Andski
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#136 - 2014-08-20 20:37:06 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
AkJon Ferguson wrote:

if you didn't quote it out of context for the sake of slinging mud you'd be entirely wrong

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Zahara Cody
Imperial Corrections Service.
#137 - 2014-08-20 20:37:43 UTC
How much are we talking was just banned here? Tribal Tempest and Imp geddon.

Hating is free, that's why poor people do it the best.

Hendrick Tallardar
Doomheim
#138 - 2014-08-20 20:38:03 UTC
Lae Allier wrote:

- Accounts may not be used for business purposes. Access to the System and playing EVE is intended for your personal entertainment, enjoyment and recreation, and not for corporate, business, commercial or income-seeking activities.

All of the formentioned "companys" recieve real money as a result of EVE Online. I will be pursuing this further !

Cool, that's probably the best thing to do if you believe it's violating the EULA. Be sure to speak eloquently and clearly about the issues rather than making claims without any basis on facts or reality.
Baneken
Arctic Light Inc.
Arctic Light
#139 - 2014-08-20 20:39:29 UTC
Now that this crisis is done and dealt with on to the next one, can wait to see what drama will be unveiled come the next summer !

Also well done CSM and community team for handling this in a quick and decisive manner.
Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#140 - 2014-08-20 20:39:56 UTC
Lae Allier wrote:
Brahan Seer wrote:

Except that in the case of Zkillboard, Dotlan, CZ, TMC etc. there is no in-game reward for using their referral links. They aren't providing any incentive other than "help us keep this running and that's all we ask." Somer however, were offering ISK credits last year and then attempting to do the same through a PLEX buyback program. They aren't comparable like you're attempting to portray.

100% right

So Falcon go and dismantle the games community they are in violation of the EULA, you said it yourself you want the rules to be fair and enforced so put your money where your mouth is!