These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CCP Response Regarding SOMER Blink Concerns

First post First post First post
Author
Andski
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#181 - 2014-08-20 21:03:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Andski
and it's not even explicitly stated in the OP whether somer was engaging in that, rather that he acted in bad faith by claiming CCP endorsement of his promotion and publishing correspondence with senior CCP staff

Twitter: @EVEAndski

"It's easy to speak for the silent majority. They rarely object to what you put into their mouths."    - Abrazzar

Tippia
Sunshine and Lollipops
#182 - 2014-08-20 21:04:01 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
Oh so Somers supposed RMT loophole wasn't kosher but that is? Like come on!!

Somer's supposed RMT loophole was still RMT and wasn't a loophole, so of course it wasn't kosher.

Running a fansite that generates income through ad revenue or referral kickbacks is not RMT because there is no in-game component to that income generation. Thus, it's kosher.
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#183 - 2014-08-20 21:04:29 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
Even if thats okay the EULA clearly states you cant have a character or play eve for business purposes.

Correct, however...

Brahan Seer wrote:
That can't get any clearer which makes all those groups guilty of breaking the EULA.

Not correct. All of those groups are separate from the account and character. The most TMC is guilty of is using name recognition, but that's not the same thing as using "The Mittani", the character, for business purposes.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Enaris Kerle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#184 - 2014-08-20 21:04:59 UTC
Karra Masamune wrote:
as apparently CCP couldn't prove any RMT or any other major violation of EULA.

except that's not what they said

Gallente born and raised, and tutored as a pleasure slave and courtesan to the exotic tastes of the Amarri court. Jade's career veered violently off course when a diplomatic envoy's transport was blown to pieces in mysterious circumstances and she was rescued from the escape pods by the enigmatic genetic mastermind Athule Snanm.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#185 - 2014-08-20 21:07:04 UTC  |  Edited by: James Amril-Kesh
Karra Masamune wrote:
So basically only thing CCP could prove is that SOMERblink leaked chat logs with Lisa, and they took that as reason to ban him. It looks like he would have a walk out of jail card if it weren't for that as apparently CCP couldn't prove any RMT or any other major violation of EULA.

Wrong. That is one of two violations (the other one being the use of an EVE account for business purposes) which are publicly apparent, which makes those the two violations that they will confirm. Other violations discovered as the result of internal investigation (read: RMT) are not disclosed. That doesn't mean they couldn't prove that it happened, it just means they're not going to tell us what they find.

John Ending
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#186 - 2014-08-20 21:07:07 UTC
A just decision, bravo CCP, Falcon and CSM on the handling of this.

No room, no place, no tolerance for RMT, ever.
Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#187 - 2014-08-20 21:07:36 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Brahan Seer wrote:
Even if thats okay the EULA clearly states you cant have a character or play eve for business purposes.

Correct, however...

Brahan Seer wrote:
That can't get any clearer which makes all those groups guilty of breaking the EULA.

Not correct. All of those groups are separate from the account and character. The most TMC is guilty of is using name recognition, but that's not the same thing as using "The Mittani", the character, for business purposes.

I havent ever seen mittani or whatever it is so i can't speak on that. But you get my point. And to an extent sounds like you agree with the premise even if it is a dumb one cause lets face it if the people who ran killboardz came under siege for this the community would defend them tooth and nail as we need that system.
GOB the Magician
State War Academy
Caldari State
#188 - 2014-08-20 21:08:00 UTC
so many tears, alas so little popcorn on my end

well done ccp!
Amantus
Drexciyan Sea Unit
SPACE DETROIT
#189 - 2014-08-20 21:08:17 UTC
its dingles mate
Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#190 - 2014-08-20 21:10:25 UTC
Edward Harris wrote:
Sion Kumitomo wrote:
In the handbook of “How Not to Get Permabanned,” not publishing private communications between you and the VP of global sales is on page one. Classic novice mistake.

So Mr. Goon-CSM, just out of curiosity, how would you have reacted if your account got suspended and everything was shut down without any notification? I see it as an act of desperation, since they apparently had an OK from a VP position. I suppose that word means nothing.
Btw, if you want to be official about it - do you see any disclaimer in those statements? I know we use them in our company.

This is still a fault of CCPs lack of internal communication and you are taking it out on a player. Good job.
My trust in CCP has dropped to zero and I'm sure I am not the only one who feels this is an outrage.

Except SOMER lied to the VP about their activities, so there's that.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Sion Kumitomo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#191 - 2014-08-20 21:12:20 UTC
I clearly should have gotten this out of the way sooner: it's me, I'm the goon CSM.

On twitter @siggonK

CCP Manifest
CCP Retirement Home
#192 - 2014-08-20 21:12:43 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD Ezwal
AkJon Ferguson wrote:
*Snip* Please refrain from personal attacks. ISD Ezwal.

"Second, SOMER Blink advertised the promotion as being “approved by CCP.” But SOMER Blink never had permission from CCP to make such a statement,"

In other words: Yes, the promotion was approved by CCP. But we didn't give him permission to tell people that it was approved by CCP.

Actually the promotion as it was enacted was not approved by us--nor was it the same as one they had discussed with us previously. That part is in the paragraph after the one you quoted.

So what you quoted above is us saying that we didn't give permission to SOMER Blink to say the non-approved promotion was approved by us.

As, one would imagine would be a thing we would do.

======== o7 _CCP Manifest | Public Relations and Social Media | @ccp_manifest_

Lae Allier
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#193 - 2014-08-20 21:12:50 UTC
to be honest by the look of the Forums, Goons run this game now, every other post is by them condoning this action, They have nearly reached the top of the food chain they are in CSM just waiting for one to become CCP then it's all downhill from there. And I won't even bother to put a petition in becuase it will just be over looked as most other things if it is not in Goonswarms favor. I have seen many people come and go from the game due to thier actions and to be honest it's disgracefull behaviour.
Arrendis
TK Corp
#194 - 2014-08-20 21:13:50 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
Even if thats okay the EULA clearly states you cant have a character or play eve for business purposes. That can't get any clearer which makes all those groups guilty of breaking the EULA. Do you not agree with that premise? (not advocating it but am I wrong)?

So you're saying that the leader of Goonswarm is only playing the game for business purposes? Really?
Clark Ostus
GOB Holdings
#195 - 2014-08-20 21:14:03 UTC
Lae Allier wrote:
to be honest by the look of the Forums, Goons run this game now, every other post is by them condoning this action, They have nearly reached the top of the food chain they are in CSM just waiting for one to become CCP then it's all downhill from there. And I won't even bother to put a petition in becuase it will just be over looked as most other things if it is not in Goonswarms favor. I have seen many people come and go from the game due to thier actions and to be honest it's disgracefull behaviour.

I am pretty sure if you search through the forums and old videos of CCP members, you'll find some of them ARE goons already.
Anaphylacti
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#196 - 2014-08-20 21:14:31 UTC
While I do think Somer crossed the RMT line with their latest promotion, CCP was a little too heavy handed on banning the initial Promotion of BLINK CREDIT for purchasing through their link.

I'm not sure about other resellers but I have had emails from Markee Dragon Promoting a raffle giveaway for Rifter models and in-game assets, "skinned Iteron, etc..", for buying gtc off them. Considering that Somer Blink was giving CREDIT for their own service for purchasing GTC through their link, I fail to see how it differs from Markees Raffle and in-game asset gifts. No actual in-game assets were being given for the purchase.

Had Somer Blink used a different method of currency instead of calling their credit ISK and perhaps calling it Blink Bucks or something it probably wouldn't have been brought up.

Is their any in-depth post like this one that refers to that event and why that promotion was banned?
Enaris Kerle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#197 - 2014-08-20 21:14:48 UTC
Clark Ostus wrote:
I am pretty sure if you search through the forums and old videos of CCP members, you'll find some of them ARE goons already.

nah they all went to riot

Gallente born and raised, and tutored as a pleasure slave and courtesan to the exotic tastes of the Amarri court. Jade's career veered violently off course when a diplomatic envoy's transport was blown to pieces in mysterious circumstances and she was rescued from the escape pods by the enigmatic genetic mastermind Athule Snanm.

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#198 - 2014-08-20 21:14:48 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
I havent ever seen mittani or whatever it is so i can't speak on that. But you get my point. And to an extent sounds like you agree with the premise even if it is a dumb one cause lets face it if the people who ran killboardz came under siege for this the community would defend them tooth and nail as we need that system.

I agree that anyone who uses EVE accounts for business purposes should be punished accordingly.

None of your examples demonstrate people who use EVE accounts for business purposes. You're merely pointing to a bunch of irrelevant stuff (e.g. sigs) and people with EVE accounts who also have EVE related businesses, which are separate.

Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#199 - 2014-08-20 21:15:09 UTC
Arrendis wrote:
Brahan Seer wrote:
Even if thats okay the EULA clearly states you cant have a character or play eve for business purposes. That can't get any clearer which makes all those groups guilty of breaking the EULA. Do you not agree with that premise? (not advocating it but am I wrong)?

So you're saying that the leader of Goonswarm is only playing the game for business purposes? Really?

At no point did I ever say that
Riela Tanal
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#200 - 2014-08-20 21:15:19 UTC
I do not see this in your FAQ. Falcon, does this have any impact on the prizes that SOMER Blink donated for Theomachy?