These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

CCP Response Regarding SOMER Blink Concerns

First post First post First post
Author
Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#201 - 2014-08-20 21:15:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Jonah Gravenstein
Lae Allier wrote:
to be honest by the look of the Forums, Goons run this game now, every other post is by them condoning this action, They have nearly reached the top of the food chain they are in CSM just waiting for one to become CCP then it's all downhill from there.
You're late to the party dear.

CCP have employed former members of GSF in the past, just as they have employed players from other alliances and corps.

Quote:
And I won't even bother to put a petition in becuase it will just be over looked as most other things if it is not in Goonswarms favor. I have seen many people come and go from the game due to thier actions and to be honest it's disgracefull behaviour.

I'd love to see any evidence you have of CCP overlooking things because to do so would favour a particular group. The people you've seen leave because they've been dumb enough to fall for scams or had their alliances destroyed from within by goons were not suited to Eve. Working as intended.

I'll leave this here for all of the bleeding hearts. HTFU

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Hendrick Tallardar
Doomheim
#202 - 2014-08-20 21:16:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Hendrick Tallardar
Lae Allier wrote:
to be honest by the look of the Forums, Goons run this game now, every other post is by them condoning this action, They have nearly reached the top of the food chain they are in CSM just waiting for one to become CCP then it's all downhill from there. And I won't even bother to put a petition in becuase it will just be over looked as most other things if it is not in Goonswarms favor. I have seen many people come and go from the game due to thier actions and to be honest it's disgracefull behaviour.


I have some bad news for you....

CCP Soundwave, former lead game designer for around what? five years? = Goon

CCP Sreegs, former CCP Security duder = Goon

There are other members of SomethingAwful.com's 180k+ community (aka Goons) who also work for CCP.

If you want to claim sites like TheMittani.com, etc. of breaking EULA and then not actually follow through then you're part of the problem sad to say. If anything, you're just making noise for the sake of it which is sad as I was hoping for some actual discussions.
Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#203 - 2014-08-20 21:18:18 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Brahan Seer wrote:
I havent ever seen mittani or whatever it is so i can't speak on that. But you get my point. And to an extent sounds like you agree with the premise even if it is a dumb one cause lets face it if the people who ran killboardz came under siege for this the community would defend them tooth and nail as we need that system.

I agree that anyone who uses EVE accounts for business purposes should be punished accordingly.

None of your examples demonstrate people who use EVE accounts for business purposes. You're merely pointing to a bunch of irrelevant stuff (e.g. sigs) and people with EVE accounts who also have EVE related businesses, which are separate.



Well you pay ISk for siggy / Killboardz that isk than goes to a corprations account. Which i assume is used for something, if its not why do those sites charge isk? Now theorethically if that ISK really just sits in a corp wallet and is never touched sure I would agree its not for business purposes and no violation occurring. But do either of us really think those piggy banks aren't touched by the players who created those services?
KIller Wabbit
MEME Thoughts
#204 - 2014-08-20 21:18:25 UTC
AkJon Ferguson wrote:
I love the weaselly lawyer-speak in the OP:

"Second, SOMER Blink advertised the promotion as being “approved by CCP.” But SOMER Blink never had permission from CCP to make such a statement,"

In other words: Yes, the promotion was approved by CCP. But we didn't give him permission to tell people that it was approved by CCP.


That happens often in the business world. Endorsements are very, very delicate to deal with and more often turn out to have been ticking bombs.
Hendrick Tallardar
Doomheim
#205 - 2014-08-20 21:19:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Hendrick Tallardar
Anaphylacti wrote:
While I do think Somer crossed the RMT line with their latest promotion, CCP was a little too heavy handed on banning the initial Promotion of BLINK CREDIT for purchasing through their link.

I'm not sure about other resellers but I have had emails from Markee Dragon Promoting a raffle giveaway for Rifter models and in-game assets, "skinned Iteron, etc..", for buying gtc off them. Considering that Somer Blink was giving CREDIT for their own service for purchasing GTC through their link, I fail to see how it differs from Markees Raffle and in-game asset gifts. No actual in-game assets were being given for the purchase.

Had Somer Blink used a different method of currency instead of calling their credit ISK and perhaps calling it Blink Bucks or something it probably wouldn't have been brought up.

Is their any in-depth post like this one that refers to that event and why that promotion was banned?


Shut up Ana. <3

Edit - Real talk:

The reason the "credit through buying through our GTC link" was shot down was due to how it could be used to get in-game goods over someone in an unfair way.

The raffles/skinned ships are, as far as I can tell, given to the GTC reseller to do as they want. I'm not sure of what the contract says in how they can use them but they'd be utterly idiotic to abuse that system as they'd lose their partnership with CCP. That is a different thing than what Somer were trying to do. Markee are an authorized seller, Somer aren't that's also a difference that needs to be understood. Just because Somer had an agreement to set up a referral link with Markee Dragon (which is no different than using an Amazon referral link) it doesn't make Somer a CCP Authorized PLEX/GTC seller. It's essentially just a way for Markeet/Amazon/ShatteredCrystals etc. to help spread their market share without much cost involved. There's a small kickback but again, it doesn't mean that CCP are giving Somer or whomever the same priveleges they give to Amazon/Markee/etc. by proxy.
Nick Moretti
Jump Drive Appreciation Society
#206 - 2014-08-20 21:20:04 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
Well you pay ISk for siggy / Killboardz that isk than goes to a corprations account. Which i assume is used for something, if its not why do those sites charge isk? Now theorethically if that ISK really just sits in a corp wallet and is never touched sure I would agree its not for business purposes and no violation occurring. But do either of us really think those piggy banks aren't touched by the players who created those services?


I honestly don't even know what you're trying to say here.
Bobmon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#207 - 2014-08-20 21:20:05 UTC
Bye Bye to my asumed 30tril worth of Unique ships, What a way to be removed from a game!

@BobmonEVE - BOBMON FOR CSM 12

Mr Epeen
It's All About Me
#208 - 2014-08-20 21:20:19 UTC
It always makes me wonder when a thread becomes a goonwave of massive proportions.

If I were the tinfoil hat type, I'd be questioning the motives behind this. What are they trying to cover for, deflect from, justify, etc.

But I'm not a tinfoil hatter so...whatever. I'll just say that as murky as the OP is, CCP did the right thing. But it would be in their best interest to carefully look into the rest of the stuff while the topic is hot and either disavow the accusations against other sites or continue banning, as the case may be.

It's not the time to ignore or bury what's being asked of them to do. They need to get it all out there and let the community know exactly how they stand on this. No sense having this all boil up again a in a week or a year when they can definitively end it now while people are paying attention.

Mr Epeen Cool
dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#209 - 2014-08-20 21:20:22 UTC
Hendrick Tallardar wrote:
As I previously stated, the fact TMC runs ads on its site is no different than me running ads on my YouTube channel which features EVE video content.


The difference would be that the content is bought and paid for with isk, compared to something you have made yourself.

I personally don't give a **** if someone finds a way to make some real money selling ads, plex or whatever, as long as they don't bot and directly sell isk i really don't give a ****. Maybe Somer went to fare and/or didn't follow CCP rules, but he i not the only one trying to make money of eve/isk.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

111010110
The Darwin Initiative
#210 - 2014-08-20 21:20:31 UTC
Sion Kumitomo wrote:
I clearly should have gotten this out of the way sooner: it's me, I'm the goon CSM.


I'm not sure I can believe you.

Cool
James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#211 - 2014-08-20 21:21:02 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
Well you pay ISk for siggy / Killboardz that isk than goes to a corprations account. Which i assume is used for something, if its not why do those sites charge isk? Now theorethically if that ISK really just sits in a corp wallet and is never touched sure I would agree its not for business purposes and no violation occurring. But do either of us really think those piggy banks aren't touched by the players who created those services?

That's not a business. CCP explicitly allows payment in ISK for EVE related services, such as creating sigs and banners, running servers for Teamspeak/Mumble/Jabber/etc., and writing articles.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Neesa Corrinne
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#212 - 2014-08-20 21:21:39 UTC
So the new CSM went full Ripard Teg on Somer. Oh the irony.
Wex Manchester
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#213 - 2014-08-20 21:21:58 UTC
Brahan Seer wrote:
Are you brain damaged?

...etcetera

How are we ever going to miss you if you never actually leave? With so many willful distortions of other people's words coming from you, I wonder exactly what stake you have in this? You certainly don't have Eve's greater good at heart, or you'd be congratulating people rather than RP'ing a straw man.
Xuixien
Solar Winds Security Solutions
#214 - 2014-08-20 21:23:39 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
Frantico wrote:

so what ccp should do is hold a auction of the seized Unique ships that way ccp can get eve history ships back out there to the public AND get alot of isk out of the game back to ccp.



No. They absolutely shouldn't. They have never removed assets from accts before to return to the game.

You really want every ban to become a 'EVE banned me for my assets' threadnaught? Their only option is to walk away from this and leave the whiners to whine. It's not whether they would be honest about it. It's whether they'd be perceived to be honest.

Banning accts and taking the assets to recycle is a can of worms that CCP really doesn't want to open.

Mr Epeen Cool


Except they do use assets from banned accounts, including at least 1 Titan and several trillions of ISK.

Epic Space Cat, Horsegirl, Philanthropist

Karra Masamune
Intelligence Operation NetCorp
#215 - 2014-08-20 21:23:44 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Karra Masamune wrote:
So basically only thing CCP could prove is that SOMERblink leaked chat logs with Lisa, and they took that as reason to ban him. It looks like he would have a walk out of jail card if it weren't for that as apparently CCP couldn't prove any RMT or any other major violation of EULA.

Wrong. That is one of two violations (the other one being the use of an EVE account for business purposes) which are publicly apparent, which makes those the two violations that they will confirm. Other violations discovered as the result of internal investigation (read: RMT) are not disclosed. That doesn't mean they couldn't prove that it happened, it just means they're not going to tell us what they find.


And I would agree if it isn't for this

Sion Kumitomo wrote:
In the handbook of “How Not to Get Permabanned,” not publishing private communications between you and the VP of global sales is on page one. Classic novice mistake..

Sion Kumitomo
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#216 - 2014-08-20 21:24:05 UTC
CCP Manifest wrote:
AkJon Ferguson wrote:
I love the weaselly lawyer-speak in the OP:

"Second, SOMER Blink advertised the promotion as being “approved by CCP.” But SOMER Blink never had permission from CCP to make such a statement,"

In other words: Yes, the promotion was approved by CCP. But we didn't give him permission to tell people that it was approved by CCP.


Actually the promotion as it was enacted was not approved by us--nor was it the same as one they had discussed with us previously. That part is in the paragraph after the one you quoted.

So what you quoted above is us saying that we didn't give permission to SOMER Blink to say the non-approved promotion was approved by us.

As, one would imagine would be a thing we would do.




Can't quote this enough.

On twitter @siggonK

James Amril-Kesh
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#217 - 2014-08-20 21:24:16 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
It always makes me wonder when a thread becomes a goonwave of massive proportions.

If I were the tinfoil hat type, I'd be questioning the motives behind this. What are they trying to cover for, deflect from, justify, etc.

But I'm not a tinfoil hatter so...whatever. I'll just say that as murky as the OP is, CCP did the right thing. But it would be in their best interest to carefully look into the rest of the stuff while the topic is hot and either disavow the accusations against other sites or continue banning, as the case may be.

Of course it's in CCP's best interest to do so. Nobody is saying otherwise. Nobody here is telling CCP not to look closely at TMC's operation, for example. If you believe what they're doing is RMT, then by all means report them. Don't be surprised when nothing happens, because that's the result of them having been determined to be legitimate. CCP doesn't need to publicly endorse every EVE related website.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#218 - 2014-08-20 21:24:23 UTC
James Amril-Kesh wrote:
Brahan Seer wrote:
Well you pay ISk for siggy / Killboardz that isk than goes to a corprations account. Which i assume is used for something, if its not why do those sites charge isk? Now theorethically if that ISK really just sits in a corp wallet and is never touched sure I would agree its not for business purposes and no violation occurring. But do either of us really think those piggy banks aren't touched by the players who created those services?

That's not a business. CCP explicitly allows payment in ISK for EVE related services, such as creating sigs and banners, running servers for Teamspeak/Mumble/Jabber/etc., and writing articles.



How is it not a business? What stops them from selling PLEX or ISK or whatever? They should be fully investigated just like Somer. Cause it is a Business just becausee a business doesn't make money doesn't mean its not a business.
Brahan Seer
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#219 - 2014-08-20 21:24:57 UTC
Wex Manchester wrote:
Brahan Seer wrote:
Are you brain damaged?

...etcetera

How are we ever going to miss you if you never actually leave? With so many willful distortions of other people's words coming from you, I wonder exactly what stake you have in this? You certainly don't have Eve's greater good at heart, or you'd be congratulating people rather than RP'ing a straw man.



Haven't distorted anything please try again later when you can back it up, thanks.
Kali Izia
GoomWaffe
#220 - 2014-08-20 21:25:50 UTC
Mr Epeen wrote:
It always makes me wonder when a thread becomes a goonwave of massive proportions.

If I were the tinfoil hat type, I'd be questioning the motives behind this. What are they trying to cover for, deflect from, justify, etc

What actually happens is someone posts about a thread in jabber and everyone clicks on it, and then we post because goons can never stop posting~