These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Kronos] Hyperspatial Accelerator Modules

First post First post
Author
Tyberius Franklin
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#121 - 2014-05-22 23:25:05 UTC
Reaver Glitterstim wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Colman Dietmar wrote:
I understand that these are aimed at capital ships. It would be nice if there were percentage-based warp speed mods (as in, not weaker than warp rigs), something subcaps could also benefit from.

Again, a percentage based mod would help the already fast ships a lot more than the slow ships that need them. They would cause balance issues.

Not necessarily. The slow ships generally have more low slots. They also generally have more powergrid. If it cost, say, 10-15 MW, it would still be usable on interceptors, though most people wouldn't put one on anything faster than a blockade runner, and even just given that it takes a low slot, you still probably wouldn't commonly see them on anything faster than a heavy interdictor.
A BS would have to fit 4 unpenalized percentage based mods to match the absolute speed increase of an interceptor with 1. A freighter would need 6 to do the same. Proportionally that means a BS would need half or more of it's lows to get the same benefit an interceptor would have with 33% or 25% of it's lowslot capacity. Freighters just won't be able to.

Considering how much rigs already severely favor smaller ships, there is no reason for another mod to further spread the gap.
Gospadin
Bastard Children of Poinen
#122 - 2014-05-22 23:28:52 UTC
I'd be in favor of a slight increase of the amount of warp speed on the modules, but even 0.3 is useful for the .75 freighters.

CCP has examples of both fixed and percentage modules, just like micro power cores which provide a fixed grid boost, thus are only useful for frigates, they could have fixed warp modules for freighters/battleships, and percentage warp modules for the rest.

I'd probably make the fastest fixed warp module be 0.5 or similar, not stacking penalized.
I'd have the percentage modules be something like 3-5%, stacking penalized.
Meandering Milieu
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#123 - 2014-05-22 23:55:42 UTC
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Meandering Milieu wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Gustav Mannfred wrote:
Why limited to 3 per ship, when they dont give realy much warp speed increase?

Because of Avatar.

Just saying, with full T2 warp rigs, and an Ascendancy set, and 8 of these mods, if they don't stack, you would get 6.2 AU/second.

Is that really such a terrifying concept? I mean that would be a terribly fit titan, and a fringe case. Not even a cap pilot, just curious as to why that would be a problem.

Did you ever fought at the time you had nano ragnaroks able to align and warp within 10 secodns after activatign their AOE doomsdays?

Those thigns leave scars at developers and player psyque that takes time to heal.

I actually don't know when that was. If I was around, I was a high/lowsec player.

However AoE doomsday doesn't exist anymore. In fact doomsdays can't even target subcaps now iirc.

So it doesn't seem crazy to me if a Titan wants to give up rigs, all of its lowslots, and a highgrade implant set, to warp at the blistering fast speed of 6.2au/sec, it doesn't seem overpowered. It would be a terribly fit titan, and a risk all on its own.
Loraine Gess
Confedeferate Union of Tax Legalists
#124 - 2014-05-23 05:52:33 UTC
Meandering Milieu wrote:
Kagura Nikon wrote:
Meandering Milieu wrote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
Gustav Mannfred wrote:
Why limited to 3 per ship, when they dont give realy much warp speed increase?

Because of Avatar.

Just saying, with full T2 warp rigs, and an Ascendancy set, and 8 of these mods, if they don't stack, you would get 6.2 AU/second.

Is that really such a terrifying concept? I mean that would be a terribly fit titan, and a fringe case. Not even a cap pilot, just curious as to why that would be a problem.

Did you ever fought at the time you had nano ragnaroks able to align and warp within 10 secodns after activatign their AOE doomsdays?

Those thigns leave scars at developers and player psyque that takes time to heal.

I actually don't know when that was. If I was around, I was a high/lowsec player.

However AoE doomsday doesn't exist anymore. In fact doomsdays can't even target subcaps now iirc.

So it doesn't seem crazy to me if a Titan wants to give up rigs, all of its lowslots, and a highgrade implant set, to warp at the blistering fast speed of 6.2au/sec, it doesn't seem overpowered. It would be a terribly fit titan, and a risk all on its own.

Spoken like a man who has never seen drive-by titans which were in fact INCREDIBLY POPULAR
Sizeof Void
Ninja Suicide Squadron
#125 - 2014-05-23 07:43:04 UTC
Nice design.

The flat amount bonus was clever, since it is only the slowest ships which needed a significant warp speed buff, and a multiplier would have been OP for the fastest ships. And, although they provide more benefit for the slower ships, players can still use them to eke out a minor warp speed buff to the fastest ships, too, so it isn't completely useless for them - depending on circumstances.

The use of a module to implement the buff - rather than tweaking ship stats - was also well done, since it introduces yet another tradeoff to be considered when fitting ships, which is exactly how the sandbox should work.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#126 - 2014-05-23 07:43:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Loraine Gess wrote:

Spoken like a man who has never seen drive-by titans which were in fact INCREDIBLY POPULAR

Then perhaps you can explain to us how a titan would benefit from warping faster... Maybe getting to your POS quicker after logging in might seem OP to you but i just don't see it. Roll
stoicfaux
#127 - 2014-05-23 12:23:18 UTC
Stacking penalized T1 warp speed rigs in Kronos:
1 rig = 1.2 multiplier to warp speed
2 rigs = 1.41
3 rigs = 1.57

2 AU/s BS:
(2 + .2 * 3) / 2 = 1.3 (2AU/s + 3 of the 0.2 hyperspatial modules)
(2 + .3 * 3) / 2 = 1.45

2.2 AU/s T2 BS:
(2.2 + .2 * 3) / 2.2 = 1.27
(2.2 + .3 * 3) / 2.2 = 1.41

Mach @ 3AU/s in Kronos:
(3 + .2 * 3) / 3 = 1.2
(3 + .3 * 3) / 3 = 1.3

Glass Is Half Empty - Once again, missile battleships are getting screwed over in terms of warp speed modifiers. Can't use the slot 6 warp speed implant due to cruise/torp implants using slot 6. Can't use the warp speed rigs because you need missile rigs (rigor, flare, missile speed/range.) Can't use the new low-slot hyperspatial modules due to a lack of lows.

tl;dr - It's an interesting start, but *whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine*

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#128 - 2014-05-23 12:25:11 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
Loraine Gess wrote:

Then perhaps you can explain to us how a titan would benefit from warping faster... Maybe getting to your POS quicker after logging in might seem OP to you but i just don't see it. Roll

Warping faster than HICs and dictors is an issue.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#129 - 2014-05-23 14:03:51 UTC
baltec1 wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:
Loraine Gess wrote:

Warping faster than HICs and dictors is an issue.

No it isn't.

A HIC also has the option to fit these mods to increase its warp speed. Who warps in a titan anyway? Every titan pilot i know uses a jumpdrive as their main mode of transportation.

I'll say it again, these mods should be designed to bridge the warp speed gap between frigates and everything bigger. They need a bigger AU bonus to benefit slow ships but a large PG requirement to make it hard for frigates to fit them. IMO anything else is bad game design.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#130 - 2014-05-23 14:08:44 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:

No it isn't.

A HIC also has the option to fit these mods to increase its warp speed.

HICs and Dics will not fit warp speed mods or rigs, they cant do their job if they do.

Rek Seven wrote:

Who warps in a titan anyway?

Anyone who needs to. They don't cyno around in the same system.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#131 - 2014-05-23 14:29:32 UTC
^ This poorly thought out argument does not clarify why a fast warping titan would be OP.

The fact is, they would have no significant advantage and in most cases, fitting warp speed mods in place of damag/tank would make for a weaker titan.

TBH i don't give a **** about titans anyway, i want these mods to make BC and BS viable for roaming gangs again.
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#132 - 2014-05-23 14:34:01 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
^ This poorly thought out argument does not clarify why a fast warping titan would be OP.

The fact is, they would have no significant advantage and in most cases, fitting warp speed mods in place of damag/tank would make for a weaker titan.

TBH i don't give a **** about titans anyway, i want these mods to make BC and BS viable for roaming gangs again.

They would out pace the ships that can catch them. Your lack of experience with dealing with null warfare is no excuse to allow imbalanced gameplay.
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#133 - 2014-05-23 14:58:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
baltec1 wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:

They would out pace the ships that can catch them. Your lack of experience with dealing with null warfare is no excuse to allow imbalanced gameplay.

For the third time, you're talking absolute crap and your arguments are not backed up by how this game is actually played.

As i said, a HIC can fit warp speed mods if needed and it could do it's job fine. The danger of fast warping titans zipping around the solar system blapping targets before anyone can get a point is simply not a reality of this game.

Your lack of intelligent and logical thinking is not an excuse for the promotion of convoluted and bad game design.

I'm sure this isn't the first time you've been added to a blocked list. Fy safe in your 4 au titan o/
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#134 - 2014-05-23 21:45:50 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:

For the third time, you're talking absolute crap and your arguments are not backed up by how this game is actually played.

As i said, a HIC can fit warp speed mods if needed and it could do it's job fine. The danger of fast warping titans zipping around the solar system blapping targets before anyone can get a point is simply not a reality of this game.

Your lack of intelligent and logical thinking is not an excuse for the promotion of convoluted and bad game design.

I'm sure this isn't the first time you've been added to a blocked list. Fy safe in your 4 au titan o/

And as I said if they fit warp speed mods and rigs they cannot do their job.

Blocking the people who do live in null and have delt with titans from when they were first added will not win you any arguments.
DrysonBennington
Eagle's Talon's
#135 - 2014-05-24 00:51:20 UTC
CCP Fozie here is a Jump Gate tactic that might be able to be turned into a new module.

Warp Skipping - Here is a new tactic that will benefit those with Hotspot Connections. It really can't be considered an exploit because it is based off of internet lag.

When jumping from one gate into a new system while using a Hotspot Connection open up a search browser session and let it lag for maybe ten seconds. During this time you should see the distance to land disappear from the screen and then the system name as well. Once both of these information groups have disappeared close the still connecting search browser down which will return the environment session to a normal state. Once the lag in game returns to normal you will have landed in the system at around 50km from the gate and will then be instantly warped away in a random direction from the gate automatically where you will wind up in the middle of nowhere.

This could considered an exploit but I am not certain how CCP would handle it being an exploit because it involves the natural mechanics of playing Eve Online through a Hotspot while trying to establish a search session on the Internet.

Basically the effect is similar to a Micro Warp Jump Depot zone of influence being present in the area where you jump into after the lag has returned to normal.

Actually Skip Warping places you approximately half way between the last gate and the nest gate being warped to when waypoints are used.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#136 - 2014-05-24 04:13:57 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:

Rek, I've seen how Titans can be leveraged when they are able to move around more quickly than their design intends.

It's not pretty, and it's not something that should be encouraged.

Let's just leave it at this, you're arguing with folks that quite literally wrote the book on how to leverage (exploit) game mechanics in their favor. Fortunately they (usually) will be kind enough to point out an exploitable game mechanic before it goes live.

I'm inclined to agree with baltec1 on this one.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#137 - 2014-05-24 11:16:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Ranger 1 wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:
baltec1 wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:

Rek, I've seen how Titans can be leveraged when they are able to move around more quickly than their design intends.

It's not pretty, and it's not something that should be encouraged.

Let's just leave it at this, you're arguing with folks that quite literally wrote the book on how to leverage (exploit) game mechanics in their favor. Fortunately they (usually) will be kind enough to point out an exploitable game mechanic before it goes live.

I'm inclined to agree with baltec1 on this one.

That's all well and good but i get annoyed when people argue without backing up their statements with practical examples.

Perhaps you could better explain why a fast warping titan would suddenly break the game. It seems to me that their slow align time would provide ample opportunity for HICs and interdictiors to catch them.

I don't think niche examples should prevent CCP from implementing useful mods. After the warp speed changes, anything bigger that a battle cruiser is too slow IMO and these ships need a mod that greatly increases their warp seed. A 0.3 AU increase in place of extra damage/tank, is simply not enough... If fast warping titans become a problem, they can be addressed later.
W0lf Crendraven
The Tuskers
The Tuskers Co.
#138 - 2014-05-24 11:22:02 UTC
Good mod, but imo to weak. Could we get a bs only version giving +2 au, make it deadspace and cost a bil or whatever to balance it?
Meandering Milieu
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#139 - 2014-05-24 12:15:49 UTC
I retract my argument for the limit of 3 mods due to baltec's reasoning. I hadn't considered it warping faster than a hic/dic to be a serious problem because where would they warp to? A gate? If they were going to get out they'd jump, and they'd still align like barges. So even if they had warped to a safe they could be probed down easily. I mean, they are almost the size of a station.

Then I remembered Supercaps and titans can also fit cloaks. I felt silly and decided to admit I was wrong.

Sorry for being silly and wrong.
Egravant Alduin
Ascendance Rising
Ascendance..
#140 - 2014-05-26 10:03:27 UTC
lanyaie wrote:
Yay an item I will not be using is being added.

Yup agree.I think it s a useless item too

Feel the wrath of the GECKO!