These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Fortune Favors the Bold

First post First post
Author
Lena Lazair
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#121 - 2014-05-03 21:51:13 UTC
Rek Seven wrote:
wow that ship is pretty underwhelming, i'll have no reason to use this over my venture. Good job Rise/Fozzie... In fact the hole of fanfest has been a let down so far. Straight

Tech2 ships are specializations, not replacements. If everyone universally preferred the Prospect to the Venture, we'd be right back where we started pre-tiericide. It's a bummer you don't have a use case for the Prospect that gets you excited, but plenty of other people do.
Lando Cenvax
The Nose Picker Clown Group
#122 - 2014-05-03 22:24:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Lando Cenvax
Now introducing the Black Ops Mining Gang! Pirate Well... nice new ship. Although, I'm afraid I won't be used a lot. Reasons for that are already mentioned above multiple times.

I like to see new opportunities to mine in low, but CCP still fails to buff low-sec mining. Currently Low-Sec mining is just not attractive no matter what's to be harvested. Either mine in Sovereignity Null or Highsec...
And one thing said in advance: Low-Sec Mining won't get more attractive by nerfing high-sec mining. That will just pi** of those who need a steady income for PLEX. That said, here are some reasons why low-sec mining sucks:

• Just to mention it: Risk of Shiploss. While that's part of low-sec mining, more frequent shiploss lowers the yield.
  • Expecting Attacks/Shiploss means also using max-yield-fitting and yield-implants is a bad idea, thus lowers yield.
  • Boost. No need to explain this. Orcas in Low are a rare sight -for good reason. Again, lower yield.
  • Transport. How did CCP think Low-Sec miners get rid of their ore/minerals? Selling in Low doesn't pay, ferrying using Industrials is time-consuming and risky, Blockade Runners have not enough Cargo and Jump-Freighters are expensive in more than one way. Spending time hauling instead of mining means lower yield.
  • Permanent Attention required. Accept it or not, but a lot of people won't mine if they need to pay attention to every single ship (multiboxers!) every fraction of a second of those hours of mining. Once you're scrambled, the fight is usually over for the barge/exhumer. ECM-Burst may solve the problem, but is banned in low (?!). Let me clarify this once again: There is no "active defense" (offensive modules) on mining ships unless you go for drones (and have good skills there) and probably drone damage amps and theoretically -banned- smartbombs. Having your second alt (if exists - keep in mind solo-players!) standing by for defense means this alt is not mining like he would do in high-sec. And once again (you already know it...) this lowers your (overall) yield (per char).

Under the bottom line ore would need to be a lot more valuable in low than it is in high.
Here some thoughts (maybe not 100% thought through. but still good as inspiration) to make lowsec more attractive:

• Buff the Orca after it got partly obsolete (as ore-hauler) following the industrial buff. Give it larger Ore-Hold and allow it to travel safe(r) through low -either buy warp-core strenght +? or by Low-Range Jump-Drive.
  • Buff the Rorqual after it will become partly obsolete during the expansion (compression).
  • Warp-Core Strength +? Fleetboost module
  • Blind-Warp ? AU into current aligned direction. Currently 1-2 bookmarks (per belt) in opposite direction are required to always stay aligned in a belt. That's just stupid...
  • Auto-Repating D-Scan with its own filter (not the Overview-Filter). On D-Scan you care about ships and probes most of the time...

Disclaimer: I accept that this post will probably be quoted by (1) ignorants hating highsec players (also "carebaer-haters"), (2) people just saying "no", because they lack arguments and (3) long-time residents of New Eden which are against any changes because they fear some of their 100M+ Skillpoints may be devalued. (SCNR)
Shinnan Krydu
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#123 - 2014-05-03 22:31:38 UTC
Removal of drones from the ship = inability to kill web/scram elite frigates that sometimes show up in belt spawns. If you get scrammed in your Prospect, what do you do? Drop a mobile depot and switch out to some small guns? Patently ridiculous that this ship doesn't have the same drone capability the T1 version does.

Inability to deal with elite frigates puts the stop on "ninja mining" nullsec belts and essentially negates a large portion of it's stated purpose. Depending on price it may be much more useful as a blops tackle than anything else.
Janden Rynd
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#124 - 2014-05-03 22:50:56 UTC
A covops cloak on a venture... because FW plex farmers needed even more of a boost? Really CCP? I can only begin to imagine how abused this is going to be.

Awesome job on this one CCP, thanks for giving lowsec and FW the shaft again!
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#125 - 2014-05-03 23:23:59 UTC
Janden Rynd wrote:
A covops cloak on a venture... because FW plex farmers needed even more of a boost? Really CCP? I can only begin to imagine how abused this is going to be.

there's no stab bonus.
Janden Rynd
Caldari State
#126 - 2014-05-03 23:26:39 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
Janden Rynd wrote:

there's no stab bonus.

An additional 3 lowslots = potential bigger stab bonus. Nice try.
Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#127 - 2014-05-03 23:37:40 UTC
i'm not trying anything. there are already covert ops ships in the game, with three lows, which farmers don't bother using.
Patri Andari
Thukker Tribe Antiquities Importer
#128 - 2014-05-04 01:52:37 UTC
Shinnan Krydu wrote:
Removal of drones from the ship = inability to kill web/scram elite frigates that sometimes show up in belt spawns. If you get scrammed in your Prospect, what do you do? Drop a mobile depot and switch out to some small guns? Patently ridiculous that this ship doesn't have the same drone capability the T1 version does.

Inability to deal with elite frigates puts the stop on "ninja mining" nullsec belts and essentially negates a large portion of it's stated purpose. Depending on price it may be much more useful as a blops tackle than anything else.

This.

Why ninja mine if you can not kill NPC that guard the site (esp scramble frigs)? It needs at least 1 drone otherwise why go to a gas/ore site.

It will see action but I doubt for the announced role.

Be careful what you think, for your thoughts become your words. Be careful what you say, for your words become your actions. Be careful what you do, for your actions become your character. And character is everything. - author unknown

Janden Rynd
Caldari State
#129 - 2014-05-04 03:36:40 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
i'm not trying anything. there are already covert ops ships in the game, with three lows, which farmers don't bother using.

But the Venture is a common ship among the farmers; they tend to mine while farming. If you give them the ability to use a covops cloak and get an even better total stab count, do you really think that's going to reduce the farming, or make it any easier for real FW types to shoot them down?
Aalysia Valkeiper
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#130 - 2014-05-04 05:33:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Aalysia Valkeiper
It's beginning to look to me like the prospect will fit into some playstyles better than others and into some uses better than others.

the people whose playstyles and/or intended uses don't match aren't too happy.

there will be other 'expedition' frigates, people. This can be considered a 'prototype' for the entire line.P

it is very possible one or more of the other 'exp-frigates' will fill those niches you are worried about.

I very much doubt any will (or can) fill them all. Big smile

It is entirely possible other exp-frigates will enter the game ALONGSIDE the prospect. I wouldn't be surprised if CCP is watching this thread VERY closely and addressing your concerns already.

Please, give them a chance to develop the line.
Dave stark
#131 - 2014-05-04 06:58:15 UTC
Shinnan Krydu wrote:

do rats appear on grid instantly, and instantly lock you? unless they do this, if you're paying attention then you should have absolutely no issue cloaking up and warping off.
Rivr Luzade
Coreli Corporation
Pandemic Legion
#132 - 2014-05-04 08:56:13 UTC
Dave Stark wrote:
ccp are unwilling to start a power creep with ships, and don't hesitate to nerf as well as buff.

however, they seem adamant about flooding eve with minerals by continually adding more and more minerals to ores and creating... a power creep.
have ccp considered removing minerals from ore, rather than flooding the game with minerals?

They need to create more incentives to mine more in order to at least give compensation for the lost loot minerals a chance. Big smile

UI Improvement Collective

My ridicule, heavy criticism and general pale outlook about your or CCP's ideas is nothing but an encouragement to prove me wrong. Give it a try.

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#133 - 2014-05-04 09:16:17 UTC
Janden Rynd wrote:
Benny Ohu wrote:

But the Venture is a common ship among the farmers; they tend to mine while farming. If you give them the ability to use a covops cloak and get an even better total stab count, do you really think that's going to reduce the farming, or make it any easier for real FW types to shoot them down?

i don't even remember if complexes have asteroids in them. i do not care if a farmer scrapes an extra million isk's worth off a rock while they bore themselves and everyone else to tears. i imagine the majority of farmers will continue to use the minimum-skill minimum-cost cloaky stabbed atrons and ventures.

fw plexing (still) needs attention but i feel that shouldn't stop us getting a new spaceship that's unlikely to affect plexing meta in any meaningful way
Rek Seven
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#134 - 2014-05-04 09:35:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Rek Seven
Lena Lazair wrote:
Rek Seven wrote:
wow that ship is pretty underwhelming, i'll have no reason to use this over my venture. Good job Rise/Fozzie... In fact the hole of fanfest has been a let down so far. Straight

Tech2 ships are specializations, not replacements. If everyone universally preferred the Prospect to the Venture, we'd be right back where we started pre-tiericide. It's a bummer you don't have a use case for the Prospect that gets you excited, but plenty of other people do.

That was just my initial reaction. I appreciate the new form of game play that might emerge from a jump capable resource gathering ship but other than that, I don't think it's been handled right.

The Venture is already good at operating in dangerous space, to the point where many people consider it overpowered due to the difficulty in actually catching one... And now CCP are giving it a covert cloak and making it jump capable?! ... Don't talk to me about balance Smile

I'm just really surprised about the lack of any exciting announcements this year.
Meiyang Lee
Game Instrument Applications
#135 - 2014-05-04 10:30:21 UTC
Jagoff Haverford wrote:
Quick question about one line in the stats for the Prospect:

Quote:
-100% Cloaking Device CPU use

When I first started playing, all of the Cover Ops ships had something like this stat, only with odd percentages like 97.8% reduced CPU. CCP eventually did away with these bonuses, because they were kind of confusing.

Now it seems like you are bringing these weird bonuses back, but just for this one ship.

-50% CPU bonus on cloaks for the Stealth Bomber
-100% CPU bonus on cloaks on all T3 Covert Subsystems.

It's not a common bonus, but there are ships that still have it.
Most other Covert Ops cloak ships have a CPU reduction per level bonus.
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#136 - 2014-05-04 10:47:04 UTC
Would removing the Nocxium from Pyroxeres have any impact on the hi sec supply of Nocxium?

It's just that the endless flood of people asking for higher yield ores or higher yield mining lasers have to be continually reminded that higher yields will actually reduce the value of the ore you're mining. In the meantime lowsec ores are undervalued because people would much rather mine Pyrox in hi sec for 10 hours than Hedbergite in lowsec for 1.

This gets back to ISK/effort, which you mentioned caught you by surprise in the last dev blog about mining. The effort of mining Pyrox in hi sec for 10 hours is actually lower than mining anything in lowsec for 1 hour.

Replace the Nocxium in Pyrox with Pyerite, suddenly the Nocx-bearing asteroids are worth more without having to shove more stuff into them.

Barune Darkor
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#137 - 2014-05-04 11:31:54 UTC
Is it going to require mining frigate 5 to train the new skill?

What are the invention requirements/skills/datacores etc?
G'host Warrot
Doomheim
#138 - 2014-05-04 12:13:19 UTC
Barune Darkor wrote:
Is it going to require mining frigate 5 to train the new skill?

What are the invention requirements/skills/datacores etc?

Its a Tech II Ship, what did u expect?

My magic crystal ball...says, Gallente Starship Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
Its a ORE Ship. Come on XD

To build it, I think u will need Frigate Construction, as it is a Tech II Ship.
Some kind of magic, huh?

Greetings
marcel72
Caldari State
#139 - 2014-05-04 12:54:28 UTC
Janden Rynd wrote:
...make it any easier for real FW types to shoot them down?

The "real FW types" should HTFU, IMO.
Owen Levanth
Sagittarius Unlimited Exploration
#140 - 2014-05-04 13:20:11 UTC
Shinnan Krydu wrote:

Why does this keep creeping up? Are people that bad with simple game mechanics? The Prospect can literally tank battleships thanks to a small sig. Cruisers in LowSec aren't a problem either. So the ship doesn't need guns.