These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Ship Painting Pilot Program

First post First post First post
Author
Arkon Olacar
black.listed
#61 - 2014-03-06 16:53:02 UTC
Notbad.jpg

Most of the obvious issues with this sort of idea were tackled in the dev blog.

I forget the exact PLEX->AUR conversion rate, but AUR from tokens are what, 100k/200k each currently? So 5-8mil for a frig paint job, 40-70mil for a BS hull? Not too horrendous.
Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#62 - 2014-03-06 16:53:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Altrue
Oh ho oh !

... Oh wait, Aurum.

Lame. LPs were fine and could potentially have been a niche to boost marginal NPC corporations. Again a good idead starting badly.

Also prices are too high. i wouldn't pay more than 0.1$ for a paintjob on a frigate. Maybe 0.2 on a battleship.
1/2$ why not, but on supers then.

I also note that you superbly avoided to translate prices in other currencies because its even more expensive.

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

Sedilis
Lead Farmers
#63 - 2014-03-06 16:53:15 UTC
I've waited 5 years for this :)
Aliventi
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#64 - 2014-03-06 16:54:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Aliventi
I think this is well implemented. I think your roadmap if you decide to go forward looks very promising. So kudos you y'all for putting this together. Big smile

I would love to see more skins. Let's be honest who wouldn't? I think investing in that new system where you have the same typeID but different skins would be a very worth while investment. Until that happens, because you don't want to maintain 24 different type IDs, perhaps we could vote on mock ups of the new ship skins so the most popular ones make it to the store?

If under your dream system of lots of skins with only 1 type ID, how would it be possible to sell a skinned ship under a separate market group? No one would want to sell a skinned rifter for the price of an unskinned rifter.

Are you considering adding pirate skins of empire ships or empire corp skins of pirate ships?

How exactly would this work for current in-game assets such as the various skinned Catalysts, Ishokone Watch Scorpion, Nafantar Thrasher, or the 4 racial frigates released in the past, and other limited issue ships? Would some of those potentially be re-released under this program? Would they have the same skin but a different name to maintain the previous limited issue status some of those ships have?

What happens if you skin a ship with a particular corp skin but then go back through and decide to make a T2 version of that ship from that corp?

Also, perhaps you could do ship skins for charity? This would be a smaller buy in for many capsuleers that perhaps can't afford a plex but still want to help out.

Edit: one more question: Can you please make Aurum transferable between character? It would be really nice for something like this.

There will probably be more questions... But thank y'all for putting in the hard work to bring this to reality!
Chirjo Durruti
Doomheim
#65 - 2014-03-06 16:55:35 UTC
Quote:
for Aurum

Stopped reading there. Srsly, WTF? I already pay you for content on a monthly basis. Evil

HOWTO: No More Tears (solo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdA4ciUrH-k If you can get me a better crew than THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPrtQ9AdoM0 convo me.

CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#66 - 2014-03-06 16:55:42 UTC
Turelus wrote:
Was it not feasible to create a new slot on ship fittings for "Paint Job" and sell paint jobs as retextures that cover the entire ship?

This requires more development time, and while an interesting option, we would first like to see if there is enough demand for ship paints. I think everyone can agree that it would be not so good to spend resources on a project that no one wants in the end.

Better start small, see if people like things, examine things to improve, gather great ideas and then - if it is worth the time - create the full system.

Please remember that this version is just a pilot project!

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Herbinator d'Arcadie
Arkadian Knight
#67 - 2014-03-06 16:57:10 UTC
MiliasColds wrote:
what i want is this, i want to be able to put my corp logo or something on a ship that i build so you can do brand type things, i think it adds depth and awesome :)

Corp logos ... good.
Police Pursuit Comet ... bad.

"Block" pigs. Refuse to fly with them.

Crasniya
The Aussienauts
#68 - 2014-03-06 16:57:20 UTC
Chirjo Durruti wrote:
Quote:
for Aurum

Stopped reading there. Srsly, WTF? I already pay you for content on a monthly basis. Evil

Would you rather your subscription money pay for ship skins, or more actual gameplay? By charging separately for skins, your subscription money isn't wasted on cosmetics development. Why would anyone complain about this?

Soraya Xel - Council of Planetary Management 1 - soraya@biomassed.net

CCP Xhagen
C C P
C C P Alliance
#69 - 2014-03-06 16:58:45 UTC
Max Von Sydow wrote:
Some quick questions about your plans for this.

What kind of limitations (if any) will there be? Will I we able to for example make a Khanid Interon V or an interbus Tengu?

Will the blueprints be ship specific? Ie, we'll have to buy a "Qafe Dominix" BP or would it be something more like a "Quafe Battleship" BP that can be used with any battleship?

How about a "skin slot" on ships. Instead of manufacturing a ship with a specific skin, we just create the skin as an item and then apply it to a ship of appropriate size. Ie, I buy a Thukker Mix Cruiser skin BP, produce some Thukker Mix Skins and then put one on my Legion, one one my Thorax and sell the rest on the market.

If we make a skinning system proper, we would have to go the route of "the thing that changes the color of your ship" is an item of some sort that can then be applied/fitted/affect to your ship.

We will not continue with the BPC implementation as it is very limiting and unsustainable in the long run.

CCP Xhagen | Associate Producer | @strangelocation

Altrue
Exploration Frontier inc
Tactical-Retreat
#70 - 2014-03-06 16:58:49 UTC
Crasniya wrote:
Chirjo Durruti wrote:
Quote:
for Aurum

Would you rather your subscription money pay for ship skins, or more actual gameplay? By charging separately for skins, your subscription money isn't wasted on cosmetics development. Why would anyone complain about this?

You've been nicely formatted indeed Big smile

But I don't think CCP hired anyone for this so this is effective dev time wasted.

Signature Tanking Best Tanking

[Ex-F] CEO - Eve-guides.fr

Ultimate Citadel Guide - 2016 EVE Career Chart

CCP Phantom
C C P
C C P Alliance
#71 - 2014-03-06 16:59:13 UTC
Chirjo Durruti wrote:
Quote:
for Aurum

You can get AUR for ISK. You don't need to spend any real money there. Smile

CCP Phantom - Senior Community Developer

Anoexia
Fr33 Banking and Trade
#72 - 2014-03-06 17:00:00 UTC
J3ssica Alba wrote:

unfortunately while I love it there is an IP lawyer waiting for something like this. :(
Ines Tegator
Serious Business Inc. Ltd. LLC. etc.
#73 - 2014-03-06 17:00:19 UTC
No complaints. Prices too high for general usage, but I very much doubt that this is intended for pvp situations where you lose dozens of ships in a day anyway. This is will add a lot of good stuff to my collection of homemade EVE-screenshot desktops.

As long as you keep the 'micro' in the microtransactions I'm ok with it. Unlike certain other posters, I don't feel the need to **** in other people's coffee because I don't like the blend they use. Dev blog already addressed any implementation concerns.
GM Pyro
Game Masters
C C P Alliance
#74 - 2014-03-06 17:00:36 UTC
lots of blue hanging around here, figured I'd add another police color to the mix....Woop Woop!

GM Pyro

Game Master

CCP Customer Support | EVE Online | DUST 514

scimichar
Deep Hole Explorers of New Eden
#75 - 2014-03-06 17:00:50 UTC  |  Edited by: scimichar
Chirjo Durruti wrote:
Quote:
for Aurum

You do realize in other MMOs you not only pay for the subscription but also the expansions? Charging a few pennies for a custom ship paint job, something that has been requested for years, is not that big of a deal.
Baconbee
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#76 - 2014-03-06 17:01:11 UTC
Do ships need to be repackaged to be painted or can we use already fit and rigged ships?
Kaeda Maxwell
Stay Frosty.
A Band Apart.
#77 - 2014-03-06 17:01:39 UTC
While it's nice to see skins, please add an option for an unlimited runs BPO at a higher price point.

A per application fee per ship, just makes me feel like I'm being fleeced for coins.
For some of us ship losses aren't an occasional occurrence (I lose 4 or 5 a day on average sometimes).
Gorion Wassenar
Stimulus
Rote Kapelle
#78 - 2014-03-06 17:02:06 UTC
This makes me moist.

Rote Kapelle - NOW IN SLIGHTLY MORE LAW ABIDING FLAVOR!

"DRINK STARSI!" ©®™Ownership Group Chairman

ITTigerClawIK
Galactic Rangers
#79 - 2014-03-06 17:02:39 UTC
i will patiently wait for the Khanid Paladin ;-P pricing good btw, will there be plans for Capital and super cap paint jobs also?, i mean for someone who is gunna be entombed in those ships for a long time, would be awesome to be able to pimp it out.
The Bazzalisk
High Security Rehabilitation Facility
Accept Your Fate
#80 - 2014-03-06 17:03:52 UTC
The whole customisation vanity item thing isn't my kind of thing, but even I think this is awesome. $0.25 to paint your frigate? $2 to paint your battleship? I'm glad to see you've learned your mistakes from *ahem* past microtransaction updates.

Also, the return of the flashing light Comet? Brilliant!