These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Ty for proving how vile, the eve community really is.

First post First post First post
Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#41 - 2013-12-30 14:06:05 UTC
Zainawa Barviainen wrote:
Hi

Since the EvE site

www.eve-who.com went live, griefer war decs have tripled due to a attacking corp able to look up an entire corp members roster and use locator agents to find targets

Bottom line is

A corps member roster is private

Bottom line is: nope, it's public information.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

R U SERIOUS
Adeptus.Custodes
#42 - 2013-12-30 14:17:51 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?

You rang?
CCP Falcon
#43 - 2013-12-30 14:18:47 UTC
R U SERIOUS wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?

You rang?

omg Lol

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#44 - 2013-12-30 14:20:18 UTC
Posting rants about "griefer" war decs...on a main is...one way to go P
Zainawa Barviainen
Doomheim
#45 - 2013-12-30 14:27:22 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?

Grow up

Your a dev, act like one
Zainawa Barviainen
Doomheim
#46 - 2013-12-30 14:28:20 UTC
mynnna wrote:
You know, if your corp lived up to its incredibly bombastic corp description (quoted below) I would think you wouldn't have problems with highsec wardecs at all, because you'd be kicking the **** out of them. Talk is cheap, I guess.

Quote:
Study Us, Get All Over Us, Look Closely, Look Real Close, Because The Closer You Look, The Less You Will See, We Will Always Be One Step, Three Steps, No, Ten Steps Ahead And When You Think Your Ahead, Bam, We Will be Right Behind You, You Will Never Be Anywhere Other Than Where We Want You To Be.....

Enjoy the corp bounty. I'm sure your aggressors will. P

very mature

a CSM member placing a 1billion isk bounty on a high sec corp because he disagrees with a forum post

outstanding choice for CSM u where
CCP Falcon
#47 - 2013-12-30 14:32:08 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?

Grow up

Your a dev, act like one

Grow up?

I'm 29 years old, and 5'6" tall... I don't think there's much hope for me. Lol

On a more serious note, the site is built by a third party, using information that comes from the API through other third parties.

There's nothing wrong with the service at all, or the intelligence it provides to people who declare war.

If you don't want to get your stuff blown up, either learn to fight back, or hire someone to defend your corporation.

It really is that simple.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Trebor Daehdoow
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2013-12-30 14:34:13 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?

Grow up

Your a dev, act like one

Speaking as someone who has had daily contact with the devs for almost 4 years now, all I can say is:

"Be careful what you wish for" Twisted

Private Citizen • CSM in recovery

Manssell
OmiHyperMultiNationalDrunksConglomerate
#49 - 2013-12-30 14:39:45 UTC

very mature

a CSM member placing a 1billion isk bounty on a high sec corp because he disagrees with a forum post

For some damn reason this thread was the first thing my grumpy sober butt read on the internet this morning. So enjoy our wardec i"ll graciously pay for once I get home tonight.

And please, please feel free to use Eve Who to look up and find all the members of my crop. None of them are scared of you knowing who they are, and they all are perfectly fine with you using it as an intelligence tool. You could probably find a lot of info on us from it. Good luck, and looking forward to the fun, hopefully this war will not "destroy high sec" if we use Eve Who.
Zan Shiro
Doomheim
#50 - 2013-12-30 14:46:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Zan Shiro
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?

this is why I feel for your devs at times.

You see 10's of requests to have more of the data in eve accessible for stuff like this. then you get these people who say nope, don't want it. Makes projects hard I know. I just implement programs at work in IT.

Only thing I love more than having clients beating me and my boss down to get that update/upgrade/new solution slated for roll outs is when we give it to them. Then they complain it doesn't work like the old one, its doesn't look right, etc. You or someone in charge wanted it...give me a real bug and I will happily write tech support. If a personal dislike not affecting business in anyway...adapt and move on (put more tactfully ofc).
Reinforced Metal Scrap
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#51 - 2013-12-30 14:48:27 UTC
mynnna wrote:
You know, if your corp lived up to its incredibly bombastic corp description (quoted below) I would think you wouldn't have problems with highsec wardecs at all, because you'd be kicking the **** out of them. Talk is cheap, I guess.

Quote:
Study Us, Get All Over Us, Look Closely, Look Real Close, Because The Closer You Look, The Less You Will See, We Will Always Be One Step, Three Steps, No, Ten Steps Ahead And When You Think Your Ahead, Bam, We Will be Right Behind You, You Will Never Be Anywhere Other Than Where We Want You To Be.....

very mature

I didn't vote for mynnna last time, but with that she's won me over.

Dedicated forum alt. Ingredients: 99.9% Pure Tritanium. May contain traces of peanuts.

NickSuccorso
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#52 - 2013-12-30 14:52:34 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Are you serious?

Grow up

Your a dev, act like one

Grow up?

I'm 29 years old, and 5'6" tall... I don't think there's much hope for me. Lol

On a more serious note, the site is built by a third party, using information that comes from the API through other third parties.

There's nothing wrong with the service at all, or the intelligence it provides to people who declare war.

If you don't want to get your stuff blown up, either learn to fight back, or hire someone to defend your corporation.

It really is that simple.

Mercenaries? That is a just a no good dirty thing to do... oh wait...
Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#53 - 2013-12-30 15:12:54 UTC
I am a little curious about the methods - no cache scraping aside I find that several of my alts, none of which have ever seen combat, some of whom have never chatted in any public channel ever, and sit in the same station all day long, appear on the list.
Batelle
Federal Navy Academy
#54 - 2013-12-30 15:14:36 UTC
A persons corp membership is always publicly available. However, unless you know about eve-who or some other site, its less easy to just get a list of members. Its good that eve-who is public, but its unfortunate that many players may not know of this functionality and that it is only available out-of-game (that said, many players miss out on in-game functionality all the time, so its a wash). Dotlan also does some crazy stuff that isn't available in-game, such as tracking 48 hours of activity, as well as monitoring the 24h NPC count, and doing a bit of math to deduce the 1h NPC kill count, which is also not readily available in-game.

"**CCP is changing policy, and has asked that we discontinue the bonus credit program after November 7th. So until then, enjoy a super-bonus of 1B Blink Credit for each 60-day GTC you buy!"**

Never forget.

Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris
Republic Military Tax Avoiders
#55 - 2013-12-30 15:48:33 UTC
Sentient Blade wrote:
I am a little curious about the methods - no cache scraping aside I find that several of my alts, none of which have ever seen combat, some of whom have never chatted in any public channel ever, and sit in the same station all day long, appear on the list.

Put an alt in every starter system, and you'll know every new character created. Simple as that. All that is left is to update data once in a while.

Opinions are like assholes. Everybody got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks.

Karbowiak
Sacred Templars
Fraternity.
#56 - 2013-12-30 15:49:43 UTC
OP is mad, so mad..

I'm sure he wants EVE-KILL / zKillboard to shut down too, since we can tell attackers what ships he/she might fly, where he/she might live, who he/she favours fighting and so forth.
Or http://o.smium.org/ for providing popular corporation and alliance fits.
Or DOTLAN for providing maps that show jumps pr. hour, indicating which system you probably ran to..

The list continues /o\
MeBiatch
GRR GOONS
#57 - 2013-12-30 15:51:44 UTC
mynnna wrote:

Quote:

very mature

Agreed I would vote again even if he is a grrr goon

There are no stupid Questions... just stupid people... CCP Goliath wrote:

Ugh ti-di pooping makes me sad.

Sentient Blade
Crisis Atmosphere
Coalition of the Unfortunate
#58 - 2013-12-30 15:57:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Sentient Blade
Kirimeena D'Zbrkesbris wrote:
Sentient Blade wrote:

Put an alt in every starter system, and you'll know every new character created. Simple as that. All that is left is to update data once in a while.

Fair enough, although I suspect there has to be some automation involved at a client level for that to work. I know when I was trying to build up lists of people to do research on, I used 2 years of chat logs and parsed every unique name from them because I figured that macroing user lists into a spreadsheet would be frowned upon if ever found out.

If you do have the data for the signups, any chance you could tell us how many new registrations per month?
Markku Laaksonen
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#59 - 2013-12-30 16:12:50 UTC
I want to try to derail the OP to suit my own curiosity. Can CCP Falcon edit the OP to link to my post?

So how do people feel about the convenience these tools give us? A lot of times I hear that EVE shouldn't 'hold our hands' etc. when people talk about features that would make things easier. These third party tools make things really easy. Do they hold our hand? If so, is that okay? If you don't think it's okay, what should be done about it, if anything?

As an example, let's look at the market. In game, you can only view the market data of the region you're in. It's trivially easy to use your two empty character slots to roll an alt and leave it in two other regions where you do business most. It's even easier to get on eve-central or other market sites and view market data for all of New Eden. In this example, what would you think of simply making all market data viewable in game? Is that hand-holding/dumbing-down-EVE? Is so, is it also hand-holding when we use a 3rd party tool to easily do what could be done in game?

(When I very first started EVE, I had (and currently have) no alts to park in a trade hub, so I used to ask for price checks on items, especially in Jita and Amarr. Then I found eve-central and have never interacted with another player ever again to ask about the price of anything.)

I use quite a few of these tools and appreciate them. If I could accomplish the same thing as well or better by in game means that these 3rd party tools let me do that would be alright, too. If the ability to use them was taken away, I'd change and adapt. I imagine that adaptation would involve a lot more interaction with other players. That's my stance. What are your thoughts?

DUST 514 Recruit Code - https://dust514.com/recruit/zluCyb/

EVE Buddy Invite - https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=047203f1-4124-42a1-b36f-39ca8ae5d6e2&action=buddy

Sarah Stallman
Pen2 Logistics
#60 - 2013-12-30 16:13:17 UTC
This thread amuses me greatly. It never ceases to amuse me when someone chooses to play a violently cut-throat game like EVE, only to whine that it's violent and cut-throaty.